shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a couple of rubies please?

Yeah it's beautiful. I was just looking at Google images of the different types of lab ruby and I'm feeling underwhelmed honestly. I can see there's different ways of making them like flame fusion (quick) Vs flux (slower and therefore more realistic), not sure what Gene uses. I know his cutting would be exceptional but... They seem a bit flat to me.

Also problematically none of the videos on Gene's website work for me so I can't even look at the one that recently sold, which is in the colour and cut I would go for. He said it's too big to email.

I think you should set a budget and start saving money for your dream ruby. Gene is limited by the lab material that's available on the market, and lab gem materials don't have nearly as much natural color variations.

Done. Agreed. I think you're right. Thank you. :)

I have a hunch that if it is important to you that you get a burmese ruby that is unheated but are somewhat indifferent to the colour and fluorescent red glow that burmese rubies are traditionally celebrated for, then probably you are more enamoured by some of the more romantic ideas spun arround Burmese rubies. And a lab stone will not scratch that itch.

If you felt these romantic ideas were more of a sales pitch, then anything else and were trying to get the best visual effect for your $$$s irrespective of treatment or where the stone geographically came from. Then that would be closer to a good fit for a lab stone.

Can you look through roger dery's inventory? There are several sub 1 ct. rubies there with very nice colouration.

I have a hunch that if it is important to you that you get a burmese ruby that is unheated but are somewhat indifferent to the colour and fluorescent red glow that burmese rubies are traditionally celebrated for, then probably you are more enamoured by some of the more romantic ideas spun arround Burmese rubies. And a lab stone will not scratch that itch.

If you felt these romantic ideas were more of a sales pitch, then anything else and were trying to get the best visual effect for your $$$s irrespective of treatment or where the stone geographically came from. Then that would be closer to a good fit for a lab stone.

Can you look through roger dery's inventory? There are several sub 1 ct. rubies there with very nice colouration.

Hmm. I think I'm put off potentially by the limitation of lab stones now that I've had a think about it. I recognise a lab stone from Gene would be very well cut, but the lab stones I've seen so far are very homogenous looking in a way natural rubies don't seem to be.

I don't really feel I have a romantic idea about these stones. I just want a really lovely quality ruby in the correct colour with great glow. I unfortunately associate quality with Burmese. That's probably because of the media, jewellery shops, and how 'fabled' Burmese rubies are. I'm working on that.

I've just looked at Roger's website. He doesn't have pricing nor many pictures and I'm not sure how to get into the AGL reports online as I don't have the verification code it also asks for?

To be honest, I think I've got to the stage where I just need to save up a sensible budget. Then my current instinct is to go back to a search via Inken. She seemed to understand what I was talking about and seems like a patient human being (clearly that's something anyone who wants to try working with me needs to be! :lol:).

=)

Hmm. I think I'm put off potentially by the limitation of lab stones now that I've had a think about it. I recognise a lab stone from Gene would be very well cut, but the lab stones I've seen so far are very homogenous looking in a way natural rubies don't seem to be.

I don't really feel I have a romantic idea about these stones. I just want a really lovely quality ruby in the correct colour with great glow. I unfortunately associate quality with Burmese. That's probably because of the media, jewellery shops, and how 'fabled' Burmese rubies are. I'm working on that.

I've just looked at Roger's website. He doesn't have pricing nor many pictures and I'm not sure how to get into the AGL reports online as I don't have the verification code it also asks for?

To be honest, I think I've got to the stage where I just need to save up a sensible budget. Then my current instinct is to go back to a search via Inken. She seemed to understand what I was talking about and seems like a patient human being (clearly that's something anyone who wants to try working with me needs to be! :lol:).

=)

I actually don't know Roger's current practices, but a few years ago when I dealt with him it was as simple as inquiring about anything (as long as you were serious). He sent prices and when I asked further, he sent a small compendium of videos. Unfortunately I did not get the stone, he found that one of the jewelers he sent it on memo to must have chipped it and withdrew it from sale while apologizing profusely (I really wanted to buy it). I did later read a blog post about that exact stone though, written by another well respected vendor here. And if her assessment(/description) of it was accurate, then the stone looked even better(/much better) in real life than it did in the videos. In fact surrounded by 1000s of gems she singled that one out to write about how superb it was -- the videos were really not that awe inspiring. Long ago now, but it still makes me smile that it must have found a good home.

I have no idea about codes, sorry supposed to be composing a presentation for a talk I have in 5 hours time and lol I haven't started (and am stuck in telle conference meetings for 3 of the next 5 hours, err how super responsible of me.).

If you are not attached specifically to the idea of owning a burmese stone, then I feel you could do better simply opening up your criteria to pointing at a specific colour (rather than specifying origin at all). For many stones, they were formed from deposits laid down a long time ago when the continents were in different configurations-- geographical origins which look very different today can come from deposits which were rather close to each other when they were created. I can't remember how much of this applies to rubies specifically, but it can often be the case that two stones found in very different places share a shockingly large number of traits.

If you are not attached specifically to the idea of owning a burmese stone, then I feel you could do better simply opening up your criteria to pointing at a specific colour (rather than specifying origin at all). For many stones, they were formed from deposits laid down a long time ago when the continents were in different configurations-- geographical origins which look very different today can come from deposits which were rather close to each other when they were created. I can't remember how much of this applies to rubies specifically, but it can often be the case that two stones found in very different places share a shockingly large number of traits.

Completely agreed. Using Kashmir sapphires as an example, the investment quality level ones are all old stock and the little amount of new stock tends to be unimpressive despite commanding crazy premiums. Moreover, more than a few Madagascar-origin sapphires have been mistaken as Kashmir, even by premium gem labs!

@Lykame I understand the allure of a Burmese ruby-- heck, I'd jump on the chance to own an old-stock Kashmir sapphire if I had the funds-- but I'd focus first and foremost on whether or not the color is what you want it to be. From a budget perspective, you'd be able to get the color you want while paying up to half the cost for non-Burmese. If I were you, I'd pin down the color, shape, and level of inclusions I want/am ok with, and then coordinate with a seller accordingly. Just my two cents.

I actually don't know Roger's current practices, but a few years ago when I dealt with him it was as simple as inquiring about anything (as long as you were serious). He sent prices and when I asked further, he sent a small compendium of videos. Unfortunately I did not get the stone, he found that one of the jewelers he sent it on memo to must have chipped it and withdrew it from sale while apologizing profusely (I really wanted to buy it). I did later read a blog post about that exact stone though, written by another well respected vendor here. And if her assessment(/description) of it was accurate, then the stone looked even better(/much better) in real life than it did in the videos. In fact surrounded by 1000s of gems she singled that one out to write about how superb it was -- the videos were really not that awe inspiring. Long ago now, but it still makes me smile that it must have found a good home.

I have no idea about codes, sorry supposed to be composing a presentation for a talk I have in 5 hours time and lol I haven't started (and am stuck in telle conference meetings for 3 of the next 5 hours, err how super responsible of me.).

He he he well firstly the most important thing to say to you is I really hope the presentation went ok! Has it been five hours yet? Best of luck! Short deadline can certainly focus the mind but they also suck. Perhaps you were able to use some of the teleconference time to plot a game plan.

Secondly the stone you talk about sounds amazing! Do you still have the review the other person wrote? I think it's really nice you can feel hopeful it went to a good home rather than feeling it belongs to the one that got away thread that's currently active!

I loved physical geography at school. One of my favourite subjects. I'm sure there's a lot of truth in that. I'm hopeful that by having a bit of time away making a larger budget will help me process and when I can come back to it I won't just look at Burmese rubies. I just wouldn't exclude them either.

:)

Completely agreed. Using Kashmir sapphires as an example, the investment quality level ones are all old stock and the little amount of new stock tends to be unimpressive despite commanding crazy premiums. Moreover, more than a few Madagascar-origin sapphires have been mistaken as Kashmir, even by premium gem labs!

@Lykame I understand the allure of a Burmese ruby-- heck, I'd jump on the chance to own an old-stock Kashmir sapphire if I had the funds-- but I'd focus first and foremost on whether or not the color is what you want it to be. From a budget perspective, you'd be able to get the color you want while paying up to half the cost for non-Burmese. If I were you, I'd pin down the color, shape, and level of inclusions I want/am ok with, and then coordinate with a seller accordingly. Just my two cents.

Yes that's really interesting, I do agree location shouldn't really matter so long as the ruby has all the other qualities that you're looking for. I would love to see old stock stuff in person, wouldn't that be amazing?

Inken has some amazing sapphires too... https://www.enhoerning-jewelry.com/loosegemstones

She does gem hunting too. I certainly wouldn't limit her to Burmese.

Yes that's really interesting, I do agree location shouldn't really matter so long as the ruby has all the other qualities that you're looking for. I would love to see old stock stuff in person, wouldn't that be amazing?

Inken has some amazing sapphires too... https://www.enhoerning-jewelry.com/loosegemstones

She does gem hunting too. I certainly wouldn't limit her to Burmese.

She has some jawdropping sapphires and rubies! It might take a bitlonger, but I'm sure you'll find your dream ruby :)

She has some jawdropping sapphires and rubies! It might take a bitlonger, but I'm sure you'll find your dream ruby :)

Yes she does!

Thankfully I'm not in a rush over this, and I'll come back to it later with a larger budget.

Would you consider heat only? This ring cones with a GIA report, and the vendor is very trustworthy. Only issue I see is the window.

Thank you very much for looking! I like the setting too. Sadly I'm put off by the window and the heat... I know some windows close up with setting but this is already set. I'd rather go smaller with no window. Do like that setting though! :mrgreen:

He he he well firstly the most important thing to say to you is I really hope the presentation went ok! Has it been five hours yet? Best of luck! Short deadline can certainly focus the mind but they also suck. Perhaps you were able to use some of the teleconference time to plot a game plan.

Secondly the stone you talk about sounds amazing! Do you still have the review the other person wrote? I think it's really nice you can feel hopeful it went to a good home rather than feeling it belongs to the one that got away thread that's currently active!

I loved physical geography at school. One of my favourite subjects. I'm sure there's a lot of truth in that. I'm hopeful that by having a bit of time away making a larger budget will help me process and when I can come back to it I won't just look at Burmese rubies. I just wouldn't exclude them either.

:)

Lol it was ok, I now realize that they were just checking up on me to see if I would be able to handle the talk I am supposed to give next week -- umm havent really prepared much, and had no idea it was that important or was going to have a 500 person audience. I've been trying to dodge this for ages and now feel a bit bad as they seem really nice (not that I wasnt happy to be included but the talks were supposed to be in the UK (now they're happening online) and would have been my 5th international trip this year, and since I take my 2 yr old and a babysitter (usually grandparent) everywhere I go I was trying desperately to slow down). So now I'll have to actually stop reading the internet and do something :roll:.

I dont have the blog post, it's from the gemstone project though -- she has some nice posts on things like setting design so you might enjoy her blog anyway! I guess I am not unhappy about it as i have since bought 3 sapphires (more accurately a pair and a single stone) and love what I have, so it's totally ok.

As inken lines up various candidates get her to try to take a shot/short video with them on the back of her hand with some of her other rubies if possible. Itll probably be interesting to see stones from different origins together. Otherwise I am sure if you let her search for you, and stop thinking about it for a bit then you'll come back with a fresh perspective which will help.

Pink is a lighter tone of red in digital color schemes. The picture that comes up in the link shows that ruby as a stoplight red to me. Note that gems are creatures of the light, and no gem, ruby included, looks the same in all lighting.

As an example, although I consider my engagement ruby to look stoplight red in the car, depending on the lighting (less light) it may appear darker than stoplight red.
IMG_20200419_120827.jpgIMG_20200420_100135.jpg

That is one of the most beautiful rubies I've ever seen. Truly magnificent! And I love the ring setting as well. Well done!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP