shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set this antique style emerald cut?

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All! I’ve been going back on forth on this antique emerald for months maybe a year now! How would you set this? I’m going back and forth over mixed metal double claw prongs, and art deco all platinum tab prongs. Both are amazing maybe the tab prong fits the style of my diamond better? Or something else entirely? I want basically a solitaire, simple but interesting details. Help! Thank you

The stone is a 4.7 E approx 11x9 (I need to look at the cert)
IMG_1868.jpegIMG_1871.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9721.jpeg
    IMG_9721.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9722.jpeg
    IMG_9722.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1082.jpeg
    IMG_1082.jpeg
    550.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1870.jpeg
    IMG_1870.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1869.jpeg
    IMG_1869.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 20
Personally, I would opt for a bezel set chunky metal-only halo and a wide band 4mm at the top (narrow band don't suit me).

Otherwise, bar prongs in the corner of the EC, with tapered baguettes in the shoulders of the band, similar to one of your inspiration rings with small rectangular baguettes in the shoulders.

Looking forward to see the finished ring!

DK :))

I love the deep corners on your stone!

Here's another antique Lang ring with a different prong orientation that I personally love:

1724420782329.png
1724420794316.png

And a classic three-stone is always amazing. Here's one from Harry Winston with a chubbier center stone close to your size but much shallower corners:
1724421097439.png
1724421036269.png

I'm a huge Erika Winters fan, here's the Willa:
1724421164677.png
1724421177616.png

An option from CvB:

And another, this would really show off the shape:

I love the deep corners on your stone!

Here's another antique Lang ring with a different prong orientation that I personally love:

1724420782329.png
1724420794316.png

And a classic three-stone is always amazing. Here's one from Harry Winston with a chubbier center stone close to your size but much shallower corners:
1724421097439.png
1724421036269.png

I'm a huge Erika Winters fan, here's the Willa:
1724421164677.png
1724421177616.png

An option from CvB:

And another, this would really show off the shape:

Thank you! The deep corners are what’s throwing me off from the claw prongs because I’m not sure if they will look right since they are wide.

I love the Lang ring!! Amazing I think I saved that somewhere at one point!! Thank you beautiful suggestions

Personally, I would opt for a bezel set chunky metal-only halo and a wide band 4mm at the top (narrow band don't suit me).

Otherwise, bar prongs in the corner of the EC, with tapered baguettes in the shoulders of the band, similar to one of your inspiration rings with small rectangular baguettes in the shoulders.

Looking forward to see the finished ring!

That’s a nice suggestion do you mean something like this ring? I’ve always admired it sorry to Ps’r I forget the name of the owner IMG_1876.jpeg

I feel your pain. There's so many geometric chubby emerald setting styles that I love that I just need to sit down and mock up. IMO there are more subtilties with geometric styles than other rings - proportions are critical
I am loving this one - tab prongs that are well scaled.
1724421076205.png

I feel your pain. There's so many geometric chubby emerald setting styles that I love that I just need to sit down and mock up. IMO there are more subtilties with geometric styles than other rings - proportions are critical
I am loving this one - tab prongs that are well scaled.
1724421076205.png

Oh my I love that what an exquisite stone

Thank you! The deep corners are what’s throwing me off from the claw prongs because I’m not sure if they will look right since they are wide.

I love the Lang ring!! Amazing I think I saved that somewhere at one point!! Thank you beautiful suggestions

Here are a few claws on deep corners! Yours are deeper than a lot of these but I think it's a lovely look when the prongs don't cover the whole corner clip. Less safe to have exposed corners, of course, but I think it lets the outline shine.

1724426729557.png
1724426758414.png

1724426863893.png

1724426921134.png

I am obsessed with tab prongs both for aesthetics and because I suspect they are less likely to catch on little hairs and strands of fabric the way claws do.

I am obsessed with tab prongs both for aesthetics and because I suspect they are less likely to catch on little hairs and strands of fabric the way claws do.

Yes, good point! I just don't think that the OP needs to worry about claws only because of the deep corners, if that's what they really want.

One more deep-cornered emerald with single claws:

For tabs, there's also this long thread with the reveal photos here:
1724427691850.png

That’s a nice suggestion do you mean something like this ring? I’ve always admired it sorry to Ps’r I forget the name of the owner IMG_1876.jpeg

No, like this which is a lot plainer, I am not a fan of engraving, prefer shiny metal myself:

1724439871545.png

I just adore this and your beautiful diamond would look spectacular in this . I don't remember the PSer's name but I hope they don't mind my suggestion.

Attachments

• Asscher with bezel trapezoids 1.jpeg
    Asscher with bezel trapezoids 1.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 21
Here are a few claws on deep corners! Yours are deeper than a lot of these but I think it's a lovely look when the prongs don't cover the whole corner clip. Less safe to have exposed corners, of course, but I think it lets the outline shine.

1724426729557.png
1724426758414.png

1724426863893.png

1724426921134.png

Wow wow wow such pretty examples! How could I forget about Leon Mege I need to go look at site thank you

Yes, good point! I just don't think that the OP needs to worry about claws only because of the deep corners, if that's what they really want.

One more deep-cornered emerald with single claws:

For tabs, there's also this long thread with the reveal photos here:
1724427691850.png

That 4 ct thread is epic what a stunning ring!! Wow thank you

I just adore this and your beautiful diamond would look spectacular in this . I don't remember the PSer's name but I hope they don't mind my suggestion.

Absolutely gorgeous!!

Hi All! I’ve been going back on forth on this antique emerald for months maybe a year now! How would you set this? I’m going back and forth over mixed metal double claw prongs, and art deco all platinum tab prongs. Both are amazing maybe the tab prong fits the style of my diamond better? Or something else entirely? I want basically a solitaire, simple but interesting details. Help! Thank you

The stone is a 4.7 E approx 11x9 (I need to look at the cert)
IMG_1868.jpegIMG_1871.jpeg

I am waiting on an antique emerald myself so you all are terrible enablers.. i love all of these ideas!! @petrock<3 I'm excited to see what you ultimately choose because we seem to have the same taste!! Mine will be similar size as yours as well!

Safety warning: For safety purposes, please make sure you are seated in a safe, secure environment prior to reviewing the following photos.

Health warning: Please note, the following photos have been shown to induce heart rate, cause light headedness, and an increase in blood pressure.

Please take precautions if you have preexisting conditions.

—————-

Without further ado, I introduce the most impressive example of an art deco ring, by non-other than Tiffany & Co.

Your welcome, mic drop and bow :lol-2:
IMG_2351.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2355.jpeg
    IMG_2355.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2353.jpeg
    IMG_2353.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2352.jpeg
    IMG_2352.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 19
I’m not gonna lie, but if I had a $985k winning lottery ticket, there would be signs… she would be on my finger…. And I’m not even a step cut girl :lol-2:

And in case you were wondering specs:
Platinum & Asscher Cut Diamond Ring; Asscher Cut Diamond 7.31ct D VVS2; Type IIA; Tiffany & Co.; Ca1910

Accompanied by GIA Certificate No. 5151435546

And she comes with the original box❤️

Safety warning: For safety purposes, please make sure you are seated in a safe, secure environment prior to reviewing the following photos.

Health warning: Please note, the following photos have been shown to induce heart rate, cause light headedness, and an increase in blood pressure.

—————-

Without further ado, I introduce the most impressive example of an art deco ring, by non-other than Tiffany & Co.

IMG_2351.jpeg

@lavenderdragonfly23 delicious! Thanks for getting my creative juice flowing! I had hit a bit of a stall for my own chubby emerald setting, but this is going to help me break through it.
I'm loving:
-the prongs
-taper up to the diamond
-shank detailing

Yay! Glad I could help! Definitely come back here and post lots of pics!

I’m not gonna lie, but if I had a $985k winning lottery ticket, there would be signs… she would be on my finger…. And I’m not even a step cut girl :lol-2:

And in case you were wondering specs:
Platinum & Asscher Cut Diamond Ring; Asscher Cut Diamond 7.31ct D VVS2; Type IIA; Tiffany & Co.; Ca1910

Accompanied by GIA Certificate No. 5151435546

And she comes with the original box❤️

I was thinking it was a tiny bit overpriced but now that you mention it has the original box…. ;)2

It is basically perfect though.

—————-

IMG_2351.jpeg

Wowwww this is a stunner! Thank you for posting - incredible! Love love the prongs and all the details and the diamond itself is perfection!! Drooling

IMG_1998.jpegSaw this vintage Cartier thought I would share

Attachments

• IMG_1997.jpeg
    IMG_1997.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1996.jpeg
    IMG_1996.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1995.jpeg
    IMG_1995.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1994.jpeg
    IMG_1994.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1993.jpeg
    IMG_1993.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1992.jpeg
    IMG_1992.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 22
Video of the stone

@Karl_K awhile ago I think you took a look at this in it’s original setting but not sure about the loose stone- would love to know your thoughts if you can tell anything from the video thank you

Last edited:
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP