shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had $3-4k to spend on a piece of jewelry, what would you buy?

Assuming you are building your jewelry collection almost entirely from scratch, so the only thing you have is your engagement ring and wedding band. Also assuming you could only buy natural diamonds (no LGDs).

Studs? Pendant? Tennis bracelet? Eternity band? A different RHR? Something with a coloured stone? Strand of pearls?

The options are limitless! And your reasoning for wanting that piece would also be great to hear.

For me, while I think after a ring I would prioritise studs, I don’t think I could get the size I want in that budget - I’d assume I’d be able to get max 1.5-2ctw if I go lower in colour, clarity etc. and that seems small on my huge ears. So then perhaps a tennis bracelet or pendant as “staple” everyday pieces that I would enjoy no matter what size they were.

Or maybe I would do the studs, as large as I could get them (without being fussy on shape, colour and clarity) and get them set in halo jackets for added presence.

What about you?

Oh easy. The malachite VCA pendant

interesting pick! An absolute classic ofc, though I think I would probably lean to the WMOP over the malachite as something that would go with my entire wardrobe, since I'd basically be building a capsule collection from scratch.

I have a friend who is basically building her collection from scratch - the only things she owns are her wedding set and a daily watch (and her wedding day jewelry, which is traditional Indian pieces). Her plan is to build a small and versatile capsule that she can wear all the time over the course of a few years and she asked me for input. I thought I would crowdsource opinions before I gave her my view.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty much a one-piece of jewelry kinda guy, and my Octavia ring checks all my boxes ... in spades!
I don't long for any new jewelry.

But if you handed me 3 or 4K, I'd take it, but I'd do something else with the funds.

But if you held a gun to my head and threatened to shoot unless I used it to acquire a new piece, I'd have either Steven Kretchmer or Niessing set my little GIA 0.33 ct VVS1 Fancy Vivid Yellow Asscher into a ring.

For an FCD (which are cut for the most profitable combination of carat weight and the most valuable of GIA's 9 color grades, follow the money ya know!) it happens to have wonderful light performance and hall of mirrors effect.

33FVYPSed1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty much a one-piece of jewelry kinda guy, and my Octavia ring checks all my boxes ... in spades!
I don't long for any new jewelry.

But if you handed me 3 or 4K, I'd take it, but I'd do something else with the funds.

But if you held a gun to my head and threatened to shoot unless I used it to acquire a new piece, I'd have either Steven Kretchmer or Niessing set my little GIA 0.33 VVS1 Fancy Vivid Yellow Asscher into a ring.

For an FCD (which are cut for the most profitable combination of carat weight and the most valuable of GIA's 9 color grades, follow the money ya know!) it happens to have wonderful light performance and hall of mirrors effect.

33FVYPSed1.jpg

Gorgeous stone!

I guess for her I’d extrapolate this as “FCD RHR” but if she also needs to buy the stone I don’t think she would get a decent one of a reasonable size in ~$3-4k.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone!

I guess for her I’d extrapolate this as “FCD RHR” but if she also needs to buy the stone I don’t think she would get a decent one of a reasonable size in ~$3-4k.
Thanks.

But, oh no.
I already own this FCD, and 3-4K is where Steven Kretchmer tension settings start.
I think Niessing's tension settings are even pricier.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Earrings because I am an earring girl. That would definitely be my next purchase if I was just getting started and had my ER and WB already.

If the size, cut, color and clarity are available in your budget I would go for studs. BUT if not I would save up because I have learned that settling is never satisfying in the long run. IMO

Thanks.

But, oh no.
I already own this FCD, and 3-4K is where Steven Kretchmer tension settings start.

I got what you were saying - I’m sure your stone, given just how top-class it is, would’ve set you back more than the budget :D though that setting is expensive, wowsers! I don’t think I’ve ever spent more than $1-1.2k on a setting.

But I’m also counting the votes / responses, so I was saying, from that POV, I’ll just go with FCD ring.

Earrings because I am an earring girl. That would definitely be my next purchase if I was just getting started and had my ER and WB already.

If the size, cut, color and clarity are available in your budget I would go for studs. BUT if not I would save up because I have learned that settling is never satisfying in the long run. IMO

I agree with you, but I think she’s the kind of person who has a mental hard limit on what she’s comfortable investing in a single piece of jewelry. Still, I’ll definitely bring the point up.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with you, but I think she’s the kind of person who has a mental hard limit on what she’s comfortable investing in a single piece of jewelry. Still, I’ll definitely bring the point up.

I’ll add that 25 years ago when I first got truly interested in jewelry I never would have been comfortable spending what I spent on single pieces or studs years later. So it was, for me, a work in progress. But I wasted a lot of money realizing settling doesn’t work for me. If I could do it all over again I would just save til I had enough for what my heart truly desired. And know it was worth it. Not always easy to spend that kind of money on oneself but the years have brought me wisdom and peace about not settling. My thoughts for me only. I respect we’re all different and what is my best decision isn’t everyone’s best choice

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got what you were saying - I’m sure your stone, given just how top-class it is, would’ve set you back more than the budget :D though that setting is expensive, wowsers! I don’t think I’ve ever spent more than $1-1.2k on a setting.

But I’m also counting the votes / responses, so I was saying, from that POV, I’ll just go with FCD ring.

Actually, IIRC I've bought four tension settings.
Only the first one was precious metal, platinum.

Then I switched to titanium which are maybe a tenth the price.
Then I switched to slightly more costly Cobalt Chrome since it stays very white, while titanium darkened with age.
Bruce Boone at Boonesrings is my go-to tension setting vendor now.

I think a list of “essential” pieces in order would be for me -
1. A pair of diamond earrings
2. A dress watch
3. A RHR
4. A nice bracelet.

We think similarly, Bron! I actually take back what I said in my first post - I thought about it a lot and I realised if I didn’t have earrings on I’d feel naked. Whatever the size may be - I would need an earring. I could conceivably stop after earrings, watch and ering (though I would like a tennis bracelet, pendant/tennis necklace and RHR also) but I’d feel like something was missing without the earrings.

I’d probably go with your list except reverse 3 & 4 in order of priority, and 2 would be just a watch (not necessarily a dress watch. Stainless steel bracelet strap would do me fine).

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd buy studs. I think for the top of the budget I could get a pair of 1.2 ctw of ACAs set in a 4 prong basket. My ear lobes are not large so that size would work for me for every day. I actually have some studs that are smaller and some that are larger and I often pull out the smaller ones to wear. If my ear lobes were larger, then I'd probably put the funds into a right hand ring as I like to wear rings on both hands.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, over the years I’ve bought a lot of jewellery, much of which I love to own but never wear. The most useful pieces, in my opinion are:

Diamond studs- not too massive, suitable for daily wear,

Eternity ring- one with decent size stones so it can be worn as RHR,

Watch- something elegant and automatic, maybe a Rolex or perhaps Longines if the budget won’t stretch.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bigger lab diamond.

lala646

Ideal_Rock
Solitaire pendant. With the current downward pressure on diamond prices, you could find a really nice (even ACA) stone in that price range that popped into a timeless setting could really be a forever piece. Something like the Brian Gavin Barbara. 1721070620909.png

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the pendant and then down the line if that's too small then we could find a matching pair and turn it into earrings.

And in the meantime a gold pair of hoops is always timeless.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Thanks.

But, oh no.

dang, kenny, that's some yellow Asscher. If you're not ready to set this, can't you entertain us with more photos?

Piper70

Brilliant_Rock
I would go for a DBTY bracelet and necklace in white or yellow gold to taste. I have a necklace in each color and a bracelet in yellow gold and I wear them so much more than I thought! I also settled way too often back in the day for what I could afford instead of waiting for what I really wanted. I like to get a good bang for my buck and I feel with these, I got good quality and size in my budget. They are so versatile and complement every day outfits or dress up.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would buy a natural colored stone ring that I would swap out for my E-ring when the mood hits. Spinel, sapphire or chrysoberyl, or even ruby. Too stretch the budget I would consider native cut stones or pre-loved.

With that said, I probably have the most fun with colored gemstone bands that I switch out frequently.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Building from scratch, and no synthetics allowed…

If the already-owned wedding band has no diamonds, then a diamond band would be first in line. Probably 5-stone. 1.5-2 ctw., G+, VS2+, GIA 3x with a nod of approval for the diamonds from folks here. Can be worn alone or stacked. Bling level is appropriate for a wide variety of events and life stages. High visual impact because although nice 5-stone bands are common on PS, a lot of people outside PS do not put resources into getting bands with high quality diamonds.

Second on the list would be a solitaire pendant, although given today’s diamond prices, $3.5k would buy a bigger diamond than I would want (don’t laugh!).

After that, a gold chain necklace or bracelet. And after that, a watch. Watches were never my jam but I have been really surprised how nice it is to have a bracelet-style watch.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would buy a natural colored stone ring that I would swap out for my E-ring when the mood hits. Spinel, sapphire or chrysoberyl, or even ruby. Too stretch the budget I would consider native cut stones or pre-loved.

With that said, I probably have the most fun with colored gemstone bands that I switch out frequently.

My dream has always been a convertible ring. One where the centre gem, set in a beautiful diamond halo, can be swapped out. I envision a screw in attachment method. I’d have a diamond, a sapphire, a ruby, an emerald, an Opal, a pearl and an amethyst as my centres and I could screw in and out my daily choice of centre gem.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results