shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had $3-4k to spend on a piece of jewelry, what would you buy?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem! I think this is kind of what I mean - image is small so it’s hard to tell - but I found it by typing “DBTY prong set” in Google image search. Though for myself I’d want much bigger stones and a longer necklace (32-34inches), and it seems like it’s still connecting to the top of the stone and not in the middle of the stone like I would want.

IMG_6765.jpeg

Well this is kind of interesting. It just popped up on my feed. Kind of collet setting. Look at the back. Not sure the culets would bother you, or could be made not too.

I’m so sorry—I didn’t read your original post when I responded. I was replying to the title only! LOL

Starting from just wedding band and e-ring, I would say bracelet to match them. I don’t feel like my arm is “complete” with just rings and no bracelet. Maybe a nice watch—Cartier with leather strap?

No problem! I actually didn’t want to give the context of “this is actually for someone else” initially because I wanted to see what people would suggest freely as if it actually was for them, but I figured giving context of “if you are starting from scratch” would be important :D

I think a classic bracelet like a tennis is a fab idea, I know it’s definitely on the list for her! For watches I think she isn’t planning on buying a new one any time soon, she has a stainless steel strap daily watch she is happy with, but I generally agree with you that a watch is a nice buy!

Well this is kind of interesting. It just popped up on my feed. Kind of collet setting. Look at the back. Not sure the culets would bother you, or could be made not too.

The size is definitely right - I like the presence! And the collet setting is cool too. I think you’re right, that the culets ideally wouldn’t poke out the back in this setting!

The only issue though that I can see is that if I was to try and aim for this, I’d need to collect a suite of OECs because this would look super weird with MRBs! And I think I’d like stones closer together.

I had the opportunity to see my mom’s necklace yesterday, kind of lucky she had it around because she doesn’t wear it too often, and the reason it doesn’t flip much is that there’s just SO MANY stones, so the sections of chain in between each stone is really small (only a few links). Also the chain is really substantial. I don’t know if hers can really be called a DBTY - the necklace would be around 32-34inches and has like, 50 stones.

I think I’d want something in the middle of both extremes, like maybe 30-35 stones in a 32-34inch necklace, so there’s a stone at every inch; but spaced out asymmetrically so there’s a section that has multiple stones close together and then a section that is just chain.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For that actual budget, and after a lot of thought, I'm going to say a substantial YG chain. You get something that you could and would wear forever and would never need an upgrade. For anything else, 3-4K won't get you much, imo -- I mean if you're trying to get a tennis bracelet or studs or RHR or any of the other options discussed here.

Yes, there are lovely estate pins and rings that one can find for that price point but not reliably for the purpose of this survey ("I'd buy a deeply discounted vintage ring!" does not seem like the type of answer being sought.)

For that actual budget, and after a lot of thought, I'm going to say a substantial YG chain. You get something that you could and would wear forever and would never need an upgrade. For anything else, 3-4K won't get you much, imo -- I mean if you're trying to get a tennis bracelet or studs or RHR or any of the other options discussed here.

Yes, there are lovely estate pins and rings that one can find for that price point but not reliably for the purpose of this survey ("I'd buy a deeply discounted vintage ring!" does not seem like the type of answer being sought.)

2-2.4ctw studs would be in her budget though, when we checked with the jeweller (likely J colour at the highest though, but that was fine by her). Settings in India cost basically nothing - maybe $250-350 inclusive of 18kt gold and labour.

Tennis bracelets also, we'd have to check but I think she could get to a 6-7ishctw bracelet in the budget. Labour is extremely cheap in India. Though tennis bracelets are further down on the list. This wouldn't be viable outside of India though, you're right.

I will suggest a YG chain to her, but I don't think she would want one as she seems to be trending towards just having a capsule in WG. Though I like the idea for sure, and I wear mine pretty regularly casually; so in general for others reading the thread looking for inspo its a great idea :)

chere

Shiny_Rock
I would spend the $3-4K on a starter collection and upgrade and add to the collection over time. On my list
  • a small pair of screw back diamond studs that I’d wear 24/7
  • 6.5-7.00mm Mikimoto AAA studs
  • gold knots, dangles and hoops
  • I’d spend the rest on sterling silver fashion necklaces, bracelets and a basic strand of fresh water pearls

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeing as how I have minimalized my collection, the only thing I don't have at this point is a stand alone band. That would be my focus BUT I'm pretty sure this would not cover the entire cost of what I'd love.

I would spend the $3-4K on a starter collection and upgrade and add to the collection over time. On my list
  • a small pair of screw back diamond studs that I’d wear 24/7
  • 6.5-7.00mm Mikimoto AAA studs
  • gold knots, dangles and hoops
  • I’d spend the rest on sterling silver fashion necklaces, bracelets and a basic strand of fresh water pearls

I like the ideas! A classic and cohesive collection.

Seeing as how I have minimalized my collection, the only thing I don't have at this point is a stand alone band. That would be my focus BUT I'm pretty sure this would not cover the entire cost of what I'd love.

My dream band is a natural diamond version of a lab-grown band I saw on PS… I can’t remember who but it was 4 1ct stones. I can’t tell you what I’d do for a ring like that :D

I would buy more paraiba tourmaline.

I LOVE paraibas, don’t own a single one but that blue is just so mesmerising :kiss2:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I owned *nothing* else, I'd buy earrings, a necklace and a bangle - but not diamonds. Solid gold, 14kt.

A short while ago, I bought these:

https://www.sarraf.com/products/14k-yellow-gold-6mm-x-15mm-huggies-earring.html - $255

I wear them around 3-4 days a week, and don't see myself changing. I LOVE them and they look good with everything.

And then I'd buy a nice 18" 14kt paperclip chain. - $650

And then I'd ask DKJ to make me the solid gold heart pendant they made me a year or two ago and have my wedding date engraved with our initials on the back. This would work just as well - and be more appealing to people who dislike hearts - with a disc (round) pendant, or even a rectangle or oval. I'd probably also ask to have a small diamond (1/4ct - high quality but uncerted) placed in the center with a star engraved around it - $1400

Then I'd spend the rest on a 14kt bangle. - $1700, depending on size. I'd go for this one - solid, comfort fit, 4mm:

And then I'd have the whole set! And I'd wear it every day of my life.

And this is pretty much what I *do* wear - those exact earrings, the heart pendant (which I'd show you, but I'm currently on a plane), and a bangle, most days of my life. Very happy with the combo and - so long as I could keep Beloved and my wedding ring - I'd be happy enough with those pieces, and only those pieces. Add a pair of pearl studs and, honestly, I'd be content.

Last edited:
If I owned *nothing* else, I'd buy earrings, a necklace and a bangle - but not diamonds. Solid gold, 14kt.

A short while ago, I bought these:

https://www.sarraf.com/products/14k-yellow-gold-6mm-x-15mm-huggies-earring.html - $255

I wear them around 3-4 days a week, and don't see myself changing. I LOVE them and they look good with everything.

And then I'd buy a nice 18" 14kt paperclip chain. - $650

And then I'd ask DKJ to make me the solid gold heart pendant they made me a year or two ago and have my wedding date engraved with our initials on the back. This would work just as well - and be more appealing to people who dislike hearts - with a disc (round) pendant, or even a rectangle or oval. I'd probably also ask to have a small diamond (1/4ct - high quality but uncerted) placed in the center with a star engraved around it - $1400

Then I'd spend the rest on a 14kt bangle. - $1700, depending on size. I'd go for this one - solid, comfort fit, 4mm:

And then I'd have the whole set! And I'd wear it every day of my life.

And this is pretty much what I *do* wear - those exact earrings, the heart pendant (which I'd show you, but I'm currently on a plane), and a bangle, most days of my life. Very happy with the combo and - so long as I could keep Beloved and my wedding ring - I'd be happy enough with those pieces, and only those pieces. Add a pair of pearl studs and, honestly, I'd be content.

I think my favourite from these is the single stone bangle! A very easily modifiable style too, if someone likes a bigger stone etc. I actually could totally see myself wanting one.

She meant $3-4k on a single piece at this time (and then over time when she saves up enough she could buy another piece) but it’s amazing that you could create an entire collection for yourself at $3-4k!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my favourite from these is the single stone bangle! A very easily modifiable style too, if someone likes a bigger stone etc. I actually could totally see myself wanting one.

She meant $3-4k on a single piece at this time (and then over time when she saves up enough she could buy another piece) but it’s amazing that you could create an entire collection for yourself at $3-4k!

Well, I was pretending it was for me. :mrgreen:

If she wants to spend that amount on one piece, I'd do the bangle. I wear mine every, single day. And it cost...I can't remember exactly...but some thousands. It's solid - and if she had the budget, I'd go 18kt, if that's what her rings are. or platinum, if not. NO diamonds in it, so it could be worn in any and every situation. It would be a real quality piece she'd have forever.

Well, I was pretending it was for me. :mrgreen:

If she wants to spend that amount on one piece, I'd do the bangle. I wear mine every, single day. And it cost...I can't remember exactly...but some thousands. It's solid - and if she had the budget, I'd go 18kt, if that's what her rings are. or platinum, if not. NO diamonds in it, so it could be worn in any and every situation. It would be a real quality piece she'd have forever.

Oh, I didn't mean to shut down your answer! The most interesting part has actually been seeing what everyone would do for themselves :D

Her rings are 18kt gold (WG) - that's pretty standard in India.

I opened your link again on my laptop and realised that its actually a list of multiple options - the only one that showed up for me was the thin bangle with the single bezel set diamond when I saw it on mobile.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I didn't mean to shut down your answer! The most interesting part has actually been seeing what everyone would do for themselves :D

Her rings are 18kt gold (WG) - that's pretty standard in India.

I opened your link again on my laptop and realised that its actually a list of multiple options - the only one that showed up for me was the thin bangle with the single bezel set diamond when I saw it on mobile.

I didn't feel shut down at all. But - I don't know what the bangle with the bezeled diamond is? Which link was it on? As I mentioned - I'd do gold jewelry, not diamonds. I love gold jewelry. I love the art of goldsmithing.

ETA I just found it - it was the top link in the bangles link. But I like the 4mm, solid, comfort fit bangle. It's more expensive, but it's got a lot of substance, which I think is very lux.

I didn't feel shut down at all. But - I don't know what the bangle with the bezeled diamond is? Which link was it on? As I mentioned - I'd do gold jewelry, not diamonds. I love gold jewelry. I love the art of goldsmithing.

ETA I just found it - it was the top link in the bangles link. But I like the 4mm, solid, comfort fit bangle. It's more expensive, but it's got a lot of substance, which I think is very lux.

You know, if you love goldsmithing, traditional Indian jewelry would be right up your alley! Especially temple jewelry, which is all about intricate designs in gold; or maybe meenakari, which is enamel on gold :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Studs. Its easier to go lower on color if you're dark like I am.

Mine are I colored and they look white on me. At a later date get jackets for the studs.

Studs. Its easier to go lower on color if you're dark like I am.

Mine are I colored and they look white on me. At a later date get jackets for the studs.

Studs are exactly where she’s starting off too!

She actually found a pair of Js that face up quite white at the jeweler’s that are 2.3something ctw and just squeak in under the budget! So that’s the plan we’re going with :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results