shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had $3-4k to spend on a piece of jewelry, what would you buy?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ibrakeforpossums Instead of further hijacking this thread I'll start a new one.
dang, kenny, that's some yellow Asscher. If you're not ready to set this, can't you entertain us with more photos?

Instead of threadjacking, scroll through this long old thread of my FCD macro pics.

I'd buy studs. I think for the top of the budget I could get a pair of 1.2 ctw of ACAs set in a 4 prong basket. My ear lobes are not large so that size would work for me for every day. I actually have some studs that are smaller and some that are larger and I often pull out the smaller ones to wear. If my ear lobes were larger, then I'd probably put the funds into a right hand ring as I like to wear rings on both hands.

Well, over the years I’ve bought a lot of jewellery, much of which I love to own but never wear. The most useful pieces, in my opinion are:

Diamond studs- not too massive, suitable for daily wear,

Eternity ring- one with decent size stones so it can be worn as RHR,

Watch- something elegant and automatic, maybe a Rolex or perhaps Longines if the budget won’t stretch.

Pre-loved OEC diamond studs

Studs gang! I told her the general responses I got from this thread and I think the studs resonated with her the most. I think she will likely go for studs first and then work her way down the list :)

A bigger lab diamond.

Labs are out unfortunately, she doesn’t like the idea!

Solitaire pendant. With the current downward pressure on diamond prices, you could find a really nice (even ACA) stone in that price range that popped into a timeless setting could really be a forever piece. Something like the Brian Gavin Barbara. 1721070620909.png

I agree with the pendant and then down the line if that's too small then we could find a matching pair and turn it into earrings.

And in the meantime a gold pair of hoops is always timeless.

I think a solitaire pendant is also a great idea! She was waffling between both. According to her since she has an ering already her right hand (culturally she wears her ering on the right hand) is already blinged out, and her left hand has a watch. So her ears and neck are currently bare. I think she will do one then the other, depending on how much money she can spend first :)

Building from scratch, and no synthetics allowed…

If the already-owned wedding band has no diamonds, then a diamond band would be first in line. Probably 5-stone. 1.5-2 ctw., G+, VS2+, GIA 3x with a nod of approval for the diamonds from folks here. Can be worn alone or stacked. Bling level is appropriate for a wide variety of events and life stages. High visual impact because although nice 5-stone bands are common on PS, a lot of people outside PS do not put resources into getting bands with high quality diamonds.

Second on the list would be a solitaire pendant, although given today’s diamond prices, $3.5k would buy a bigger diamond than I would want (don’t laugh!).

After that, a gold chain necklace or bracelet. And after that, a watch. Watches were never my jam but I have been really surprised how nice it is to have a bracelet-style watch.

A solitaire pendant is definitely on the list!

Her band is a half eternity of around 8-10pts each, so a bit bigger than pave but not approaching 5/7stone material. The idea being that it can be worn alone when she’s travelling etc or stacked with the ring. I personally like the 5-stone idea quite a bit, but I think it may be further down the priority list when I last spoke to her. I think it’s a good idea for the future though, to get another ring to cover the other hand as well! Maybe after a bracelet though.

I would go for a DBTY bracelet and necklace in white or yellow gold to taste. I have a necklace in each color and a bracelet in yellow gold and I wear them so much more than I thought! I also settled way too often back in the day for what I could afford instead of waiting for what I really wanted. I like to get a good bang for my buck and I feel with these, I got good quality and size in my budget. They are so versatile and complement every day outfits or dress up.

Oh, this is a FAB idea! I love coming on here because I never would’ve thought to suggest a DBTY to someone starting out their collection but it is really classic and can be worn short or long. Will make sure to mention the idea to her :D

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
@Ibrakeforpossums Instead of further hijacking this thread I'll start a new one.

Instead of threadjacking, scroll through this long old thread of my FCD macro pics.

kenny, I went thru that thread last night, incredible collection and photography. Thank you.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:oops:

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, this is a FAB idea! I love coming on here because I never would’ve thought to suggest a DBTY to someone starting out their collection but it is really classic and can be worn short or long. Will make sure to mention the idea to her :D

I second @Piper70 ’s DBTY idea, and for $3-4k, you can get a set of earrings and necklace with decent sized carat weights too!

DBTY, esp if set in WG/plat, will also give the illusion of a bigger diamond due to the bezel thickness ;)2

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would add a pair of stud earrings, the biggest pair of MRBs in a simple setting that I could afford, SI clarity as long as they are eye-clean, G/H/I colour, and the best cut.

The size of the diamonds for the studs and settings would need to be compatible with off the shelf earring jackets without the need to have a pair custom-made.

DK :))

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think she’s the kind of person who has a mental hard limit on what she’s comfortable investing in a single piece of jewelry.

This is me (there are pros/cons to this approach).

Back to the question - I think it depends on lifestyle and personal style.

Another DBTY necklace vote for daily wear and versatility. I wear my mine more than I ever thought (as I tend to like larger pieces). I can keep it on all week so no fighting with clasps when rushed to get ready in the morning rush. I layer with other necklaces when I want to something more. As others have mentioned, there would be $ left for another nice piece (even more so if you can find one pre-loved). I would consider pave set diamond hoops to complete the look. (Not for everyone but given I am not an earring person, I would add a DBTY anklet - mine seldom comes off in the summer.)

I would love a diamond solitaire necklace - long on my wish list as I always admire them on others. Unfortunately, my limit would not allow for the size I would want (not a "dainty" person)

My "limit" doesn't allow for a tennis bracelet in my preferred size. So instead, I've bought two diamond bracelets that I can wear alone or layer.
wgdiamondbracelets.jpg

Back in the day when I had to dress professionally for work, pearls were my go-to wardrobe piece. (Now I hardly reach for them. ).

Finally, I am a CS and ring person so if I were going to spend $3-$4K on one piece, it would be a CS ring. But they aren't always good for every day wear depending on your lifestyle.

Last edited:
I second @Piper70 ’s DBTY idea, and for $3-4k, you can get a set of earrings and necklace with decent sized carat weights too!

DBTY, esp if set in WG/plat, will also give the illusion of a bigger diamond due to the bezel thickness ;)2

So I spoke to her and suggested a DBTY, she didn’t like how the bracelets looked or the long DBTY earrings but did like the necklace. So she has put the DBTY necklace on her eventual list (as a maybe).

I would add a pair of stud earrings, the biggest pair of MRBs in a simple setting that I could afford, SI clarity as long as they are eye-clean, G/H/I colour, and the best cut.

The size of the diamonds for the studs and settings would need to be compatible with off the shelf earring jackets without the need to have a pair custom-made.

I think studs are where she’s leaning too! What colour she will go with she has to go see stones to decide. Shape also, she’s open to suggestions I think.

Luckily in India the concept of stock settings doesn’t really exist, the settings are made as per your stone because it’s extremely cost effective. So she will definitely be doing that.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have 5mm diamond studs with the jackets. This left me with budget to affordably add other studs in a variety of colored stones for a full plug-n-play wardrobe. (Unfortunately, most earrings get lost on me so that last thing I bother to put on).

Last edited:
This is me (there are pros/cons to this approach).

Back to the question - I think it depends on lifestyle and personal style.

Another DBTY necklace vote for daily wear and versatility. I wear my mine more than I ever thought (as I tend to like larger pieces). I can keep it on all week so no fighting with clasps when rushed to get ready in the morning rush. I layer with other necklaces when I want to something more. As others have mentioned, there would be $ left for another nice piece (even more so if you can find one pre-loved). I would consider pave set diamond hoops to complete the look. (Not for everyone but given I am not an earring person, I would add a DBTY anklet - mine seldom comes off in the summer.)

My "limit" doesn't allow for a tennis bracelet in my preferred size. So instead, I've bought two diamond bracelets that I can wear alone or layer.
wgdiamondbracelets.jpg

Back in the day when I had to dress professionally for work, pearls were my go-to wardrobe piece. (Now I hardly reach for them. ).

Finally, I am a CS and ring person so if I were going to spend $3-$4K on one piece, it would be a CS ring. But they aren't always good for every day wear depending on your lifestyle.

This thread is actually enabling me towards a DBTY :lol: I think preloved is something she isn’t comfortable with, but I didn’t realise how affordable DBTYs actually are. I guess it depends on how many stations you add. I think one is definitely on the eventual list though for her.

I personally LOVE the pave hoops idea, I have hoops and I adore them. I will suggest them, but I see her unlikely to go for large hoops given her style. I can imagine her going for huggies though.

Pearls and CS are out for the moment I think - she was getting overwhelmed lol.

I have 5mm diamond studs with the jackets. This left me with budget to affordably add other studs in a variety of colored stones for a full plug-n-play wardrove. (Unfortunately, most earrings get lost on me so that last thing I bother to put on).

The plug and play idea is super smart!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol I didn’t read the intro to the thread properly! You weren’t really asking what *I* would buy!

I think diamond earrings, a diamond pendant, or a coloured gemstone ring are all great options.

lol I didn’t read the intro to the thread properly! You weren’t really asking what *I* would buy!

I think diamond earrings, a diamond pendant, or a coloured gemstone ring are all great options.

No I think it’s super helpful to see what people prioritise! And it makes you think of options - like, I wouldn’t have ever thought of a DBTY or a 5-stone but now I’m strongly considering them for my own collection too :D and the DBTY resonated with her as well.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a vintage DBTY in yellow gold and find it very wearable. I bought it in the estate section of a local jeweler several years ago and it was very reasonable. The stones are small, but noticeable. I'm having a white gold one made right now because I really find the one I have in yellow very useful. So I think this is a good option (after studs :))

So I think she’s quite excited by the project because she went in to the jeweler today after work just to see some options and then called me and spoke to me for an hour :D

She’s pretty comfortable with J colour (could consider a high K, but not lower than that). Clarity doesn’t matter to her as long as it’s eye clean. Stud shapes that she liked were cushions and of course, rounds, but I suggested she may want to go with the rounds as the most classic (and the greater spread). The minimum size she would like is ~2ctw, which according to the jeweler is doable but slim pickings in the budget, so it may take some time but she said she doesn’t mind because she wants to do it right.

We also discussed a short list for a “cohesive collection” given everyone’s inputs here (and I discussed my own collection with her as well):

1) wedding set (already has) - half eternity ~0.7-0.8ctw and ering ~2ct round
2) watch (already has - she isn’t interested in a dress watch when she has a “daily staple stainless steel”)
3) studs ~2ctw rounds - this is the first thing on the list!
4) pendant ~1.5ct round - this would be next after the studs! I think she would be ok going a little smaller but not too much smaller because she didn’t like the halo pendant look. She likes simple and classic styles.
5) tennis bracelet - she hasn’t thought about sizes, but I think the 15pts each stone would probably fit the budget, or maybe a little larger.

After this is where she’s a bit murky on the order of things, but she said she would probably like the following items:

1) strand of white pearls + pearl studs (for work events, meetings, dinners etc.)
2) DBTY necklace for dinners, small parties etc (where she can’t wear her wedding jewelry)
3) huggie hoop (not pave, but with small stones ~4-5pts each; for more casual events or while travelling; she also would then leave her ering behind and just wear her band)
4) some sort of diamond ring for the other hand - I suggested a 5-stone or 7-stone, but she said she’d figure it out at that point.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions - a few of the items - like the DBTY and hoops especially - are only on here because you suggested them! I wouldn’t have thought of them myself! I think all of this makes for a pretty cohesive collection - there’s no coloured stones in it yet, but one thing at a time :D

I have a vintage DBTY in yellow gold and find it very wearable. I bought it in the estate section of a local jeweler several years ago and it was very reasonable. The stones are small, but noticeable. I'm having a white gold one made right now because I really find the one I have in yellow very useful. So I think this is a good option (after studs :))

This thread has enabled me soooo hard towards DBTYs lol. I feel like I might just do it myself even if she won’t. Though perhaps as a “station necklace” with prongs instead of bezels since I would lose my mind with pokey culets.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has enabled me soooo hard towards DBTYs lol. I feel like I might just do it myself even if she won’t. Though perhaps as a “station necklace” with prongs instead of bezels since I would lose my mind with pokey culets.

I don't think I've ever seen one with the diamonds set in prongs, except for the ones where the diamonds aren't incorporated into the chain kind of like this. Is that what you're thinking of?

Screenshot 2024-07-17 161114.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I think she’s quite excited by the project because she went in to the jeweler today after work just to see some options and then called me and spoke to me for an hour :D

She’s pretty comfortable with J colour (could consider a high K, but not lower than that). Clarity doesn’t matter to her as long as it’s eye clean. Stud shapes that she liked were cushions and of course, rounds, but I suggested she may want to go with the rounds as the most classic (and the greater spread). The minimum size she would like is ~2ctw, which according to the jeweler is doable but slim pickings in the budget, so it may take some time but she said she doesn’t mind because she wants to do it right.

We also discussed a short list for a “cohesive collection” given everyone’s inputs here (and I discussed my own collection with her as well):

1) wedding set (already has) - half eternity ~0.7-0.8ctw and ering ~2ct round
2) watch (already has - she isn’t interested in a dress watch when she has a “daily staple stainless steel”)
3) studs ~2ctw rounds - this is the first thing on the list!
4) pendant ~1.5ct round - this would be next after the studs! I think she would be ok going a little smaller but not too much smaller because she didn’t like the halo pendant look. She likes simple and classic styles.
5) tennis bracelet - she hasn’t thought about sizes, but I think the 15pts each stone would probably fit the budget, or maybe a little larger.

After this is where she’s a bit murky on the order of things, but she said she would probably like the following items:

1) strand of white pearls + pearl studs (for work events, meetings, dinners etc.)
2) DBTY necklace for dinners, small parties etc (where she can’t wear her wedding jewelry)
3) huggie hoop (not pave, but with small stones ~4-5pts each; for more casual events or while travelling; she also would then leave her ering behind and just wear her band)
4) some sort of diamond ring for the other hand - I suggested a 5-stone or 7-stone, but she said she’d figure it out at that point.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions - a few of the items - like the DBTY and hoops especially - are only on here because you suggested them! I wouldn’t have thought of them myself! I think all of this makes for a pretty cohesive collection - there’s no coloured stones in it yet, but one thing at a time :D

This is an excellent list and very similar to my own plans in the coming years. I suppose there are only so many staple pieces!

I don't think I've ever seen one with the diamonds set in prongs, except for the ones where the diamonds aren't incorporated into the chain kind of like this. Is that what you're thinking of?

Screenshot 2024-07-17 161114.png

No - I don’t know how to explain but it’s actually quite common here to see because people like their jewelry to have bigger stones for more presence and a DBTY can’t have big stones without hurting the wearer.

So if you can imagine a DBTY, the chain connects to the midpoint of the bezel on either ends of the stone right, like if you connected the pieces of chain on either end it would follow along the diameter of the diamond? So a station necklace has the chain attached in exactly the same place, just that instead of a bezel to hold the diamond, it is a basket setting (with 4-6 prongs as needed). The diamond is set as low in the basket as possible, but this way the base of the basket keeps the culet away from the skin and face up you see just the stone (with no bezel).

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No - I don’t know how to explain but it’s actually quite common here to see because people like their jewelry to have bigger stones for more presence and a DBTY can’t have big stones without hurting the wearer.

So if you can imagine a DBTY, the chain connects to the midpoint of the bezel on either ends of the stone right, like if you connected the pieces of chain on either end it would follow along the diameter of the diamond? So a station necklace has the chain attached in exactly the same place, just that instead of a bezel to hold the diamond, it is a basket setting (with 4-6 prongs as needed). The diamond is set as low in the basket as possible, but this way the base of the basket keeps the culet away from the skin and face up you see just the stone (with no bezel).

I'm going to do an image search to see if I can find a photo, but I think I can envision what you mean. Thank you for the explanation.

I'm going to do an image search to see if I can find a photo, but I think I can envision what you mean. Thank you for the explanation.

No problem! I think this is kind of what I mean - image is small so it’s hard to tell - but I found it by typing “DBTY prong set” in Google image search. Though for myself I’d want much bigger stones and a longer necklace (32-34inches), and it seems like it’s still connecting to the top of the stone and not in the middle of the stone like I would want.

IMG_6765.jpeg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those seem to be connected at 10 and 2. I assume you would want 3 and 9. But wouldn't that flip more?

Those seem to be connected at 10 and 2. I assume you would want 3 and 9. But wouldn't that flip more?

Yes, 3 and 9 is what I meant. Thank you, it was driving me batty trying to word it!

The flipping is the major reason I haven't bought a station necklace yet, the idea of it drives me nuts. I think it could be mitigated if the necklace is stiff instead of a flexible chain and the stations are plentiful, but that defeats the purpose of a DBTY. If the stones are bigger it might be heavy enough to prevent flipping... but I'm on Ban Island until the foreseeable future so I think I have like, YEARS to figure it out :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to be DD150.jpeg but gotta say ...

Unless you are a mannequin, you move.
When you move diamonds in a DBTY piece flip around, so they get dirty fast.
Diamonds rubbing against skin pick up natural skin oils, makeup, lotion, etc.

The main reason I'll pay big bucks for a diamond is the magic they can do with light.
But even the best-cut diamond can't do what you paid for unless it's clean.
The angle of every facet
on a well cut diamond is precisely calculated and placed to control the movement of rays of light through the diamond, from entrance to exit.
Then light can't leak out the sides or bottom of the diamond.
Rather, maximum light is directed to come out the crown to your eyes, and with maximum fire.

When the diamond surface is not clean, moving light rays change direction when they pass into the diamond, and pass out of, the diamond.
I think of it like cars; cars function best when they stay on the road, and in their lanes.

But as always, people vary; not everyone prioritizes light performance so highly.
If I was buying DBTY I wouldn't bother paying for well-cut diamonds.

Last edited:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
a longer necklace (32-34inches)
Highly recommended! You can quickly slip one on without dealing with clasps and great for layering (or on their own).

I wear/own mostly CS pieces..no big diamonds (can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a single piece). But my 18" dbty, (pave) diamond hoops and 32" diamond chains are my staple "go with anything" pieces. (I have each of these in both wg and yg so they can be worn with other pieces) 20240718_195231.jpg

I resisted buying a dbty necklace for years because of flipping concerns but it hasn't bothered me at all but maybe it's not as noticeable because of smaller diamonds (I have a stiffer diamond necklace that I never wear because it doesn't lay flat on my collarbone which is worse than flipping imo).

Highly recommended! You can quickly slip one on without dealing with clasps and great for layering (or on their own).

I wear/own mostly CS pieces..no big diamonds (can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a single piece). But my 18" dbty, (pave) diamond hoops and 32" diamond chains are my staple "go with anything" pieces. (I have each of these in both wg and yg so they can be worn with other pieces) 20240718_195231.jpg

I resisted buying a dbty necklace for years because of flipping concerns but it hasn't bothered me at all but maybe it's not as noticeable because of smaller diamonds (I have a stiffer diamond necklace that I never wear because it doesn't lay flat on my collarbone which is worse than flipping imo).

I really like the spacing of the YG one!

I just realised my mom has a diamond chain that is long but doesn’t flip at all (the pieces are big enough that it would be immediately apparent). I need to look at it and figure out what sorcery went into making it, so I can make sure I do the same for mine!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
interesting pick! An absolute classic ofc, though I think I would probably lean to the WMOP over the malachite as something that would go with my entire wardrobe, since I'd basically be building a capsule collection from scratch.

I have a friend who is basically building her collection from scratch - the only things she owns are her wedding set and a daily watch (and her wedding day jewelry, which is traditional Indian pieces). Her plan is to build a small and versatile capsule that she can wear all the time over the course of a few years and she asked me for input. I thought I would crowdsource opinions before I gave her my view.

I’m so sorry—I didn’t read your original post when I responded. I was replying to the title only! LOL

Starting from just wedding band and e-ring, I would say bracelet to match them. I don’t feel like my arm is “complete” with just rings and no bracelet. Maybe a nice watch—Cartier with leather strap?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results