shape
carat
color
clarity

Lang Antiques Marquise Diamond Ring

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
I would like to hear your thoughts on why the price of this ring is $27,000. The only thing I can think of is that it is being sold at Lang, and the diamond is D in color-but that doesn't equal $27,000!

The center diamond is 1.51ct, so it is not "large", and the ring is not made by a famous maker- so no upcharge because of that.

I've been looking at Marquise vintage diamond rings, and while they all are pricey, this is exceptionally so.

https://www.langantiques.com/mid-ce...MIwouz8rGbiAMVKlxHAR1_CA-EEAQYASABEgIh-PD_BwE

IMG_5631.jpg

maybe the upcharge relates to the custom ring guard? it is quite unusual... and there is over 12 grams of platinum in the set ... but yes, Lang commonly prices on the high side of the high side :)

This price makes no sense...

This uncerted 3 ct K is the same price as the Lang (but for this price I’d want a cert).

IMG_6972.png

I think they know their market very well. Plus, there are a lot of design and structural elements beyond the center stone so maybe figure 10K there. And subtract the 10% for the sale they just had, etc. As I have said before, I feel that they are very fair and honest with their assessments of age and era (and cast vs. hand-fabricated, etc.) and really can not be compared with internet randos imo. Yes, I'm sure you can find a lower-color marquise or a smaller-sized version in a plain band for a lot less money.

Antique, original open cutlet marquise and pear cuts are exceptionally expensive and rare. I adore old marquises. Did you know that the cut is credited to Louis XV, who allegedly commissioned the first marquise diamond to reflect the shape of Madame de Pompadour's mouth.
Some price comps

I would like to hear your thoughts on why the price of this ring is $27,000. The only thing I can think of is that it is being sold at Lang, and the diamond is D in color-but that doesn't equal $27,000!

The center diamond is 1.51ct, so it is not "large", and the ring is not made by a famous maker- so no upcharge because of that.

I've been looking at Marquise vintage diamond rings, and while they all are pricey, this is exceptionally so.

https://www.langantiques.com/mid-ce...MIwouz8rGbiAMVKlxHAR1_CA-EEAQYASABEgIh-PD_BwE

IMG_5631.jpg

IMO this is not an antique marquise cut. I’m thinking 1940s or later for this diamond. Langs implies it’s Mid Century but doesn’t say so directly. I’m wondering if it’s a newer cut stone in an older setting.

Last edited:
Prices are out of hand. And i think some of these large antiques are newly cut. There’s no way to tell. Except for a few clues but I’m sure cutters are on to those.

Also when you see “antique” diamonds in newer settings that really strikes me as odd.

I've purchased a vintage (old cut) marquise diamond ring. The diamond is approx. 1.3 carats. No certificate - described as F/G Vs1 or better. I haven't received it yet - we shall see!

I love old marquise cuts, very regal!

What era is a marquise with this cut generally from-diamond, not the setting?
IMG_1570.jpeg

IMG_5631.jpg

it does look very impresive with its enhancer rings

IMG_1570.jpeg

IMG_1570.jpeg

The vintage cut would be from the Art Deco era (1920’s-1930’s) . The marquise cut was very popular in that era.

(I know the marquise cut goes back a long long way!)

The vintage cut would be from the Art Deco era (1920’s-1930’s) . The marquise cut was very popular in that era.

(I know the marquise cut goes back a long long way!)

Thanks, this was my guesstimate for era as well, I love all the different ‘flavors’ of cut for the marquise!

The ring arrived today- I posted in "Show me the Bling".
IMG_6408 (1).jpgIMG_6294 (1).jpg

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP