shape
carat
color
clarity

Loupe Troop is down 01 July 2024 - would anyone know for how long please?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fees on Etsy and Ebay are high, but domain name registration, designing, hosting and maintaining a website isn't free. For years someone else has done that at their expense while we all complain when the free for us to use website goes down. Ella pointed out that passing on any of those charges would mean the owner of that website is then considered trade. That's a losing situation for the for website owner.

I can't recall exactly, but my in-laws had a managed splash page for their business and I think it was about £80 a year for a very basic page that had a few links on it, no interaction such as it publishing a listing or ability to upload photos. It's a small cost in the grand scheme it's still a cost in time and money that we're asking someone else to take on for us so we can have a free to use platform. I've always wondered why LT existed at all, lucky for us that we had it, but the constant complaints must have been a headache for the nice person who just tried to do a favour.

Dr_Diesel

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would be possible to have someone design and maintain a website. I looked into it and it might cost $500-$1000 to design and host it (including data storage fees)…but much less to maintain it.

It would be even easier if the current owner of LT would allow someone else to take over the existing platform…provided there is some way to get in touch with this person.

One could also potentially set up a way to donate (maximum $20 or something) to the person who’s creating and hosting the site. They could put up a “Target” for donations and then close donations once the target is reached.

Moderator: Would this be acceptable?

Dr_Diesel

Brilliant_Rock
I started looking into setting up a LoupeTroop alternative, and then LT came back online and my plans fell by the wayside. I’ll dive back in.

Ah! I was just posting about this. If you were to set up an alternative, maybe there could be a way to send donations to support the development and maintenance?

Like maybe “suggest” that seller and buyer each donate $5 when there is a successful transaction?

It could all be done anonymously on the “honor system.”

I’m sure people would support it.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be even easier if the current owner of LT would allow someone else to take over the existing platform…provided there is some way to get in touch with this person.

This is what comes up for LT under Icann:

Image 7-14-24 at 10.49 AM.jpeg

I’d bet something hefty that the LT administrator /owner is well aware of offers, and this thread, and all other threads like this.

It has been plainly said here who it was, not that long after it was created. That’s how I became aware.

Whether it’s changed or not, it’s now obviously not wanting to be said again, or made public. Nor wanting to contribute to this thread in answering direct questions.

I respect that.

I’d also respect someone else setting up a very similar operating website on their own, not as an insult but as an opportunity. The more the merrier.

Dr_Diesel

Brilliant_Rock
This is what comes up for LT under Icann:

Image 7-14-24 at 10.49 AM.jpeg
So, if it was just updated April 30th, does that suggest it may come back up?

It’s not clear to me what that information means.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
People are vastly under estimating what it takes to run a sale site.
The site itself and the hosting/d-dos protection is not that expensive.
The amount of people it will take to run it is hugely expensive.
You need a tech person, marketing person, and a bunch of moderators/tech support people and someone to lead them.
A lawyer on retainer to keep up with ever changing laws is also needed.

The amount of time spent on disputes and just questions is going to take a huge amount of time.

Even with no direct sales I bet the PS mods time spent on stuff involving it is second only to the amount of time chasing spammers. Some months its likely more.

Right now click/view pay rates are in the toilet for adds to the extent some categories of sites are seeing 50% even 75% less income from adds.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
What about a site like Craigslist so there’s a point of contact? Choose your city or a random city and opt to use an anonymous email (which I think Craigslist does). Then have the buyer state their username on PS? It’s free and still anonymous.

Dr_Diesel

Brilliant_Rock
What about a site like Craigslist so there’s a point of contact? Choose your city or a random city and opt to use an anonymous email (which I think Craigslist does). Then have the buyer state their username on PS? It’s free and still anonymous.

This seems like the easiest/cheapest option I’ve heard thus far.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I suggested that on Wednesday and have since made a Craigslist posting for my item.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, if it was just updated April 30th, does that suggest it may come back up?

It’s not clear to me what that information means.

I performed a search via Whois recently and found the same information.

A domain name is required to be re-registered regularly, usually every year or every 2 years, and it was last updated in April 2024.

Since I do not know who was the original registrant of the domain name back in 2012, I cannot tell whether the domain name has been transferred or sold to another party or not.

Since the domain name was re-registered on 30 April 2024, and then went down not long afterwards for a new version to be deployed as per the 502 error message, I suspect it has been transferred or sold and is now under new management.

Just have to wait and see what comes of it.

DK :confused2:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That address in Iceland comes up with a history of scammers stealing online accounts……..

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may have to use eBay if LT does not return by the end of July 2024.

DK :roll2:

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
That address in Iceland comes up with a history of scammers stealing online accounts……..

That address is a privacy registration service, I am sure loads of scammers use as it, as do legitimate services. Just like folks using VPNs to minimize their identity. Some come with registration, you tick a box others are add ons.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You all may have thought of this already, but if you sell on platforms like eBay, Etsy, or through Shopify those amounts are reported to the IRS and may get classified as "income." If you go over a certain amount on any of these sites (I think its, $10,000 but please don't quote me) you'll be issued a 1099. Regardless of the amount, see the point immediately before that too. Of course, if you do have to file a schedule C you can then deduct the amount paid so the taxable amount would likely be zero or negative (in which case there's obviously no gain), but you're still stuck with the fact that the amount has been reported.

NOTE: I am NOT offering tax advice! I'm just throwing some info out there. Also, the comments I make are US-centric; I don't have any experience in the non-US realm.

And again, not trying to encourage or discourage anyone, but trying to cover some bases as I sell online (NOT gems or jewelry) so happy to share any knowledge I've gained along the way so no one gets "surprised."

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just googled it, so not giving advice, but found this. That the sales amount limit was to be lowered to $600 but that was pushed off for 2023. Not sure what will happen in 2024. I didn't dig deep. So advice from your accountant is probably the best bet about these things.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Have you done something like this before?
Do you know time and cost estimates for setup /maint?
Do you envision needing /wanting helpers?

would having both up and running be a negative thing?

Just curious :)

I’m looking into it — my sister does this sort of thing professionally but on a much larger scale, so she and I are going to think it through and determine what makes sense. I would love to get something going that’s reliable, stable, and safe.

Home73

Rough_Rock
I just googled it, so not giving advice, but found this. That the sales amount limit was to be lowered to $600 but that was pushed off for 2023. Not sure what will happen in 2024. I didn't dig deep. So advice from your accountant is probably the best bet about these things.

I talked about this before a few posts back. And you are right. The amount suggested for 2024 is now $10000 per year. But there are some states (and I live in one) where the treshhold as been $600 for several years now. I think it is 6 US states. So I have been getting 1099s from ebay, paypal etc. I assume in the long run all states will have the $600 limit.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I talked about this before a few posts back. And you are right. The amount suggested for 2024 is now $10000 per year. But there are some states (and I live in one) where the treshhold as been $600 for several years now. I think it is 6 US states. So I have been getting 1099s from ebay, paypal etc. I assume in the long run all states will have the $600 limit.

I was referring to the IRS amount for federal income tax purposes. Are you saying it's also a state income tax issue where you are? The federal rule would be the same for all states since it's for your federal income taxes. I don't know about each state income taxes and of course several states have no state income tax, such as Florida and Texas and a few more I can't recall off the top of my head. But your state and a few others may have a lower reporting thresh hold for state purposes.

Last edited:

Home73

Rough_Rock
I was referring to the IRS amount for federal income tax purposes. Are you saying it's also a state income tax issue where you are? The federal rule would be the same for all states since it's for your federal income taxes. I don't know about each state income taxes and of course several states have no state income tax, such as Florida and Texas and a few more I can't recall off the top of my head. But your state and a few others may have a lower reporting thresh hold for state purposes.

You are right the 1099-k is a federal form for federal income tax filing. But you also file state income with this form, same like your W2. Certain states (it's now 10) require that this form gets issued at much smaller treshholds. (the $600).

Since only one 1099k is issued and not a special one for my state I have no way of differentiating the amounts and I have to file 1099k for both my federal and state taxes.
But I only need to do that if I have a profit. So the 1099 in itself is meaningless because it does not include my cost basis plus other expenses like shipping, website fees etc. But I am on the radar of the IRS because they now have a copy of my 1099k and they know I do these types of sales.
But they also see who issued this form and I assume they will not come after us when it's from ebay etc and the amounts not super high. But if it's from Uber for instance these filers better show that as their income. I assume when we all have the $600 treshhold they will look closer at our transactions to get their share of taxes. So save your receipts.

It gets even more complicated with Paypal, Venmo etc. These payment providers do all kids of transactions for sales of real goods but also just sending money to your friends after a dinner. So every time we use PP F&F on here we commit a tax crime because these transactions don't get counted towards your 1099K income. Paypal tries to discourage this by saying it's against their rules and you lose all purchase protections if things go wrong.

Your point about the states like FL and Texas is interesting. But it just means they don't need to pay state tax on their income. They will still get a 1099k or maybe 1099misc.

Talking to a tax accountant is always good but they are very expensive and I will try to figure it out on my own first. ;-) Thank you for reading til the end. ;-)

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to ask that since LT has been down since July 1, did they tell the folks who currently have items listed for sale there that is would be happening? It must be really frustrating if there was no warning, especially for the people who listed things close to the end of June.

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
Just to ask that since LT has been down since July 1, did they tell the folks who currently have items listed for sale there that is would be happening? It must be really frustrating if there was no warning, especially for the people who listed things close to the end of June.

No warning for me and yes, it is frustrating!

Home73

Rough_Rock
I doubt LT will come back, at least not for free (I have no other information just my own conclusion)

I also understand the need for safety and moderation on this site. But why is it not acceptable for us to make a sales post with an anonymous email (where no name is shown, just letters and numbers) and list it here? They could even insist that all of us get new email addresses to post.

Some of us who have bought and sold items through here actually know the Identity of our customers from previous exchanges because we were mailing things to their addresses.

I also understand that the site than would get swarmed with new members. But you could create a limitation like you need to have been a member for a year and have 50 unrelated comment posts. I'd be happy to help monitor or mod with that.

fel

Shiny_Rock
I just want to say there is another issue with Etsy, which is their return policy invites scammers and freeloaders. If someone complains about you, even in a completely scammy manner, Etsy has been know to return a buyer's money and let them keep the item.

I had a situation last year where I sold a ring for $240, and the buyer from the beginning seemed creepy. Since I was out of town on the weekend of the sale, I sent the item FEDEX overnight when I got home. She received it timely according to the listing, but then complained that my packaging wasn't pretty, complained that I sent it FEDEX rather than USPS, and used that as a basis to try to keep the ring and get her money back. The only thing that saved me was that as soon as she made any noise about not liking it, I sent her a label to return the item, and I told her if she returned I would videotape myself opening the package. If I had not done that, Etsy would have let her keep the ring and the money, or she might have returned an empty box.

After this, I closed my Etsy store (which only had maybe 1 sale a year anyway.) I would never go back to them. Now I use FB marketplace or craigslist.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I also understand that the site than would get swarmed with new members. But you could create a limitation like you need to have been a member for a year and have 50 unrelated comment posts. I'd be happy to help monitor or mod with that.

It's so easy nowadays to make 50 (or 5,000) comment posts with ChatGPT--that would open us up to more and more spammy fake accounts. We already get too many people using generative AI to make posts.

Home73

Rough_Rock
It's so easy nowadays to make 50 (or 5,000) comment posts with ChatGPT--that would open us up to more and more spammy fake accounts. We already get too many people using generative AI to make posts.

That is a good point and I am not an expert. It was just a suggestion. But I do know reddit forums where this is done successfully with the help of moderators. That's why I offered to help.
I just wished PS would try to work with us a little more here and maybe come up with other suggestions. After all we have trafficked the site for many years and helped them as well.
While I get very useful information from PS and have been here for years, I don't really need the site and will eventually move on if we can not find a solution that works for the majority. I am sure others feel the same.....

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey LT if you happen to read this, so many of us want you to come back that I’m sure a majority would understand if you need to charge a reasonable amount for listings. Just don’t get greedy like EBay and Etsy and it would probably be beneficial all-around.

Just putting it out there :)

Treflo

Rough_Rock
Just a vent, as it doesn't seem that the Loupe Troop organizers are reading this: as someone who just recently discovered this forum and Loupe Troup, its going down is really a bummer. I've learned tons about jewelry from this forum and was saving specifically for some pre-loved pieces. The trust I'd developed in these members and their good taste made LT an ideal place for me to browse and potentially shop. I hope a solution is found one way or another.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results