shape
carat
color
clarity

Loupe Troop is down 01 July 2024 - would anyone know for how long please?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a good point and I am not an expert. It was just a suggestion. But I do know reddit forums where this is done successfully with the help of moderators. That's why I offered to help.
I just wished PS would try to work with us a little more here and maybe come up with other suggestions. After all we have trafficked the site for many years and helped them as well.
While I get very useful information from PS and have been here for years, I don't really need the site and will eventually move on if we can not find a solution that works for the majority. I am sure others feel the same.....

Another forum that’s popular in the luxury goods space has a marketplace. Only posters with 10k+ posts or 10 years of membership (or via special invitation) are permitted to even see those subfora. Extremely conservative, which I appreciate.

There was recently a situation wherein an old-timer’s account was hacked and fake listings were fulfilled - a few people lost quite a bit of money. The mods added several additional sales requirements to prevent a recurrence. But even then, the mods have (always) made very clear that they’re just hosting a platform - ultimately only buyer and seller are liable for any transactions that go poorly, not the forum or its staff.

It works well. But it’s not the main reason I participate there.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to say there is another issue with Etsy, which is their return policy invites scammers and freeloaders. If someone complains about you, even in a completely scammy manner, Etsy has been know to return a buyer's money and let them keep the item.

I had a situation last year where I sold a ring for $240, and the buyer from the beginning seemed creepy. Since I was out of town on the weekend of the sale, I sent the item FEDEX overnight when I got home. She received it timely according to the listing, but then complained that my packaging wasn't pretty, complained that I sent it FEDEX rather than USPS, and used that as a basis to try to keep the ring and get her money back. The only thing that saved me was that as soon as she made any noise about not liking it, I sent her a label to return the item, and I told her if she returned I would videotape myself opening the package. If I had not done that, Etsy would have let her keep the ring and the money, or she might have returned an empty box.

After this, I closed my Etsy store (which only had maybe 1 sale a year anyway.) I would never go back to them. Now I use FB marketplace or craigslist.

That's a really good point! There is NO SELLER PROTECTION on any order over $250 (that includes tax and shipping -- and it is not per ITEM it is per ORDER). The Etsy forums are full of people who have had plenty of situations where they are out both the money and the item. I guess I didn't think to mention that because I was in the head space of a PSer to PSer transaction and I like to think (perhaps naively) that we wouldn't do that to each other, but I guess it's always a possibility. And if an "outsider" was the buyer, all bets are off.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loupe Troop was great being free and with us being able to recognise other PSers which increases comfort.
I wouldn’t use Etsy to sell, I buy there occasionally but I don’t feel it is supportive of sellers as much as eBay is.
eBay unfortunately has gone a bit feral. Apparently jewelry in the US now has to “be tested” to confirm gold content etc and there’s been dramas. Not an issue here in Australia thankfully but eBay fees are steep now.
It’s a shame Loupe Troop has gone, being able to sell without fees benefits both buyers and sellers looking to maximise their dollars.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
When LT has been in the process of being updated in the past, it seemed to take forever, but it's always come back online. It's been under a month that it's been down, and while it seems a long time for PS-ers, in LT's "pattern", it seems like it's right on track.

Garnet Gimlet

Rough_Rock
Just a vent, as it doesn't seem that the Loupe Troop organizers are reading this: as someone who just recently discovered this forum and Loupe Troup, its going down is really a bummer. I've learned tons about jewelry from this forum and was saving specifically for some pre-loved pieces. The trust I'd developed in these members and their good taste made LT an ideal place for me to browse and potentially shop. I hope a solution is found one way or another.

Same! I have listened and learned and loved watching the creation of these beautiful pieces. I am not in a position to buy precision cut stones and reach out to top notch designer have a fully custom piece done. Happily I have been able to give some beautiful preloved rings a new home and I absolutely love it! They are always exquisite and it's so much better quality than I could obtain any other way. I don't feel comfortable buying off Instagram, Etsy or eBay from some random shop. But if a PSer is selling an item, I feel confident I'm going to get a beautiful piece. Its weird knowing you have less protection as a buyer going through LoupeTroop but I feel so much more comfortable sending someone hundreds or thousands of dollars that way. I hope we can find other ways to make the system work

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly having a site like LT is good for the businesses that post ads and financially support Pricescope since it enables people to buy new things by selling things they no longer wear. I know having DB and LT over the years I've been active here have enabled me to cycle through a lot of pieces, and I think without the ability to sell to (mostly) other Pricescopers, I likely won't be buying much from vendors since things will accumulate :( Not to mention being able to buy second hand from PSers has been the gateway for me to get into things like pearls and different colored gems since it gave me an affordable way to test the waters with high quality specimens and not just things I'd see at the mall (never have I ever been impressed with pearls I've seen at a mall).

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another forum that’s popular in the luxury goods space has a marketplace. Only posters with 10k+ posts or 10 years of membership (or via special invitation) are permitted to even see those subfora. Extremely conservative, which I appreciate.

There was recently a situation wherein an old-timer’s account was hacked and fake listings were fulfilled - a few people lost quite a bit of money. The mods added several additional sales requirements to prevent a recurrence. But even then, the mods have (always) made very clear that they’re just hosting a platform - ultimately only buyer and seller are liable for any transactions that go poorly, not the forum or its staff.

It works well. But it’s not the main reason I participate there.

I'd love if PS had something like this. Long-term members and/or frequent (quality) posters (not just spammers since one could, I guess, spam the crap out of the forums to meet quota).

I usually will only buy second hand from someone sort of "vouched for" on the forum anyway, and even with small reseller IG businesses, with one that's been "vouched for" by others. It seems a lot of the newby fly-by posters on LT with jewelry (no established presence, no history) often over-inflate their prices, take poorer quality photos, or sell Not-Really-PS-Quality stuff anyway.

Are you willing to share what that Forum for Luxury Goods Space with a Marketplace is? Not that by signing up today, would I even qualify for their Marketplace, but inquiring minds..

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love if PS had something like this. Long-term members and/or frequent (quality) posters (not just spammers since one could, I guess, spam the crap out of the forums to meet quota).

I usually will only buy second hand from someone sort of "vouched for" on the forum anyway, and even with small reseller IG businesses, with one that's been "vouched for" by others. It seems a lot of the newby fly-by posters on LT with jewelry (no established presence, no history) often over-inflate their prices, take poorer quality photos, or sell Not-Really-PS-Quality stuff anyway.

Are you willing to share what that Forum for Luxury Goods Space with a Marketplace is? Not that by signing up today, would I even qualify for their Marketplace, but inquiring minds..

Purses! Only refraining cause PS doesn’t allow us to name other fora outright I believe. But if you google purses and forum - it’ll be the first thing you hit.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
So. I would like set up a simple forum as a buy/sell/trade board, at least temporarily. I'm not ready to be a "trade" member of PS, and I won't charge anything. If it becomes cost-prohibitive, I'll rethink my approach.

The emphasis will be on simplicity, security, and reliability. I might ask for your help along the way. I will definitely ask for your opinions—not to mention your patience. :))

Home73

Rough_Rock
So. I would like set up a simple forum as a buy/sell/trade board, at least temporarily. I'm not ready to be a "trade" member of PS, and I won't charge anything. If it becomes cost-prohibitive, I'll rethink my approach.

The emphasis will be on simplicity, security, and reliability. I might ask for your help along the way. I will definitely ask for your opinions—not to mention your patience. :))

I would love to help as well. While I can not code directly I have created my own websites and feel pretty comfortable around the internet. And I am willing to learn and work for free. ;-)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a really good point! There is NO SELLER PROTECTION on any order over $250 (that includes tax and shipping -- and it is not per ITEM it is per ORDER). The Etsy forums are full of people who have had plenty of situations where they are out both the money and the item. I guess I didn't think to mention that because I was in the head space of a PSer to PSer transaction and I like to think (perhaps naively) that we wouldn't do that to each other, but I guess it's always a possibility. And if an "outsider" was the buyer, all bets are off.

LT was already opening up to many people who aren't PSers. LOTS of people were regularly mentioning it on Reddit.

When LT has been in the process of being updated in the past, it seemed to take forever, but it's always come back online. It's been under a month that it's been down, and while it seems a long time for PS-ers, in LT's "pattern", it seems like it's right on track.

Yeah - this has happened multiple times with LT. I won't be really worried until it ticks past two months - the only reason I checked here at all at first was because there was an item that I'd been about to buy when it went down.

Honestly having a site like LT is good for the businesses that post ads and financially support Pricescope since it enables people to buy new things by selling things they no longer wear. I know having DB and LT over the years I've been active here have enabled me to cycle through a lot of pieces, and I think without the ability to sell to (mostly) other Pricescopers, I likely won't be buying much from vendors since things will accumulate :( Not to mention being able to buy second hand from PSers has been the gateway for me to get into things like pearls and different colored gems since it gave me an affordable way to test the waters with high quality specimens and not just things I'd see at the mall (never have I ever been impressed with pearls I've seen at a mall).

Ditto... as the owner of at least one of YOUR former pieces! :lol:

A lot of these posts are people coming from Reddit. I don't know if it's PSers or others who keep recommending LT as a sales platform, but they are often recommending it to people whose items are really not going to move on LT.

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
Ah! I was just posting about this. If you were to set up an alternative, maybe there could be a way to send donations to support the development and maintenance?

Like maybe “suggest” that seller and buyer each donate $5 when there is a successful transaction?

It could all be done anonymously on the “honor system.”

I’m sure people would support it.

What about a GoFundMe page for the site?

AVC4Me

Shiny_Rock
I may have to use eBay if LT does not return by the end of July 2024.

DK :roll2:
I'm thinking the same...then we'll all have to increase prices to cover the loss AND sales are reported AND buyer is taxed.....a lose/lose situation !

I currently have someone interested in a listing here and there is no way to exchange contact information. I don't understand WHY this is an issue in the preloved forum. Sales aren't occurring ON the forum, they are occurring in outside communications, just like they would be in LT.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking the same...then we'll all have to increase prices to cover the loss AND sales are reported AND buyer is taxed.....a lose/lose situation !

I currently have someone interested in a listing here and there is no way to exchange contact information. I don't understand WHY this is an issue in the preloved forum. Sales aren't occurring ON the forum, they are occurring in outside communications, just like they would be in LT.

PS does not have a private messaging facility, full stop!

DK :))

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
@AVC4Me I believe PS allows sharing/posting instagram accounts. Could people not just make an instagram account, and then take the conversation to the DM's there? Free, fast and easy.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't think they allowed IG accounts because it’s considered social media. I could be wrong though.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Only vendor instagram accounts are being shared freely. Aside from that, screenshots also.

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
It sounds like in the meantime Craigslist is the best option since it's free. You would post the items here with the link so it would be just like posting on LT but only PSers would be involved.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like in the meantime Craigslist is the best option since it's free. You would post the items here with the link so it would be just like posting on LT but only PSers would be involved.

Thanks for that info. I have stuff I really want to sell and don't want to go through ebay.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In our town the police dept. encourages people to do their sale transactions in their lobby-- it's safer than having people come to your home. It would not surprise me if other towns had the same policy.

Home73

Rough_Rock
In our town the police dept. encourages people to do their sale transactions in their lobby-- it's safer than having people come to your home. It would not surprise me if other towns had the same policy.

I just saw that our local police department has a parking space outside dedicated for such transactions. I assume the camera makes the space very visible. I actually like this very much as I don't have to bother the receptionists/dispatchers but have some protection.

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I didn't think they allowed IG accounts because it’s considered social media. I could be wrong though.

Only vendor instagram accounts are being shared freely. Aside from that, screenshots also.

I thought I've seen a couple people here share their personal insta accounts where they post eye candy shots of their bling?

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I've seen a couple people here share their personal insta accounts where they post eye candy shots of their bling?

Yep those just fly under the radar. :mrgreen: But technically it’s not allowed and strictly monitored in the preloved section.

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock

The mods did respond somewhere in this thread that it is prohibited.

Jsbasket

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that info. I have stuff I really want to sell and don't want to go through ebay.

Maybe we could list items on Craigslist but include some kind of “code” in the listing that would let other Loupetroopers know who you are, and the interested parties could use a “code” to identify themselves as being fellow loupetroopers - or could be cross-referenced on Pricescope. I used to always put “I am Jsbasket on LT, PS and EBay” in my LT listings so folks could check me out. You could put the same kind of thing in a Craigslist post and only respond to those folks who express understanding of what you mean. I miss all my LT bling buddies and have stuff I need to sell (and buy ).

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Wow - that’s a great idea!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results