shape
carat
color
clarity

Making sense of padparadscha colors

mgb11

Rough_Rock
I came across a padparadscha that has a GRS report and it says that it is a natural pad of Sri Lankan origin with an "orangy-pink" color. The first photo is the one on the GRS report; okay fine, looks like orangy-pink to me. But another photo of the same pad provided by the seller... looks like there's a significant purple modifier.

GRS report says a Type 3a color stability test was done, which states "Indication of orange and/or yellow component increase was observed. A padparadscha color is visible in both the discharged and charged state (GRS-type “CST 3a”). Post-testing increase of color saturation and/or change of hue by exposure to UV- or sunlight is possible."

Do I trust the GRS report? Do I trust my own eyes? Is the purple simply due to "color saturation or change of hue"? Pads are so annoying to make sense of lol

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 2.29.42 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 2.29.42 PM.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 2.29.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 2.29.50 PM.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 5
I think you need to see it in person and in your particular lighting conditions. The colour in a controlled light situation is not necessarily what you will see when you wear inside at home, inside at the office / shops or out in daylight. Not much point having a “perfect tone/hue/saturation” in an environment you can’t recreate and thus enjoy.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP