shape
carat
color
clarity

Mikimoto Tahitian Ring Advice (with photos!)

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
I just had a super fun Mikimoto "Milano Collection" ring transferred into the local TheRealReal office and got a chance to see it today. I'm wondering if it's "too much". I would love any thoughts! I'm guessing it's from between 2000 and 2010 but I don't know for sure. It looks unworn or basically unworn to me, the bottom of the shank and the hallmarks were basically perfect.

Here's the listing: https://www.therealreal.com/product...ikimoto-18k-pearl-diamond-cocktail-ring-l0x5b
Listing photo since I didn't get a good photo from the side:
1724290819559.png
The Italian company that collaborated with Mikimoto on this collection has a patent for how the pearl is mounted, so that's cool:
1724287619324.png
Ideally it would be a half size or so larger -- it's currently very comfortably wearable on both index fingers and I can just squeeze it over the knuckle on both middle fingers, but a hair more room would make it a lot easier to get on and off. There isn't a Mikimoto boutique in my city but there is a dealer who would send it in for sizing. They didn't have a sense of what that would cost and said they wouldn't until it arrived to Mikimoto. Does anyone have any idea? It seems silly to pay potentially hundreds of dollars for such a small change....

As for the pearl, it's super smooth and I didn't see a single flaw with my naked eye. It definitely passes the "how many fingers am I holding up" test. Not a lot of interesting overtone that I could see, though, it looks mostly smooth grey. Unfortunately I couldn't take it out of the office lighting.

First few photos are trying to show luster and the surface. Of course wasn't quite as lustrous as my Takahashi gem luster Akoyas but it definitely held its own. If I were smarter I would have gotten a photo of them together, I did bring them for comparison.....
1724289274244.png
1724286933223.png
And on me. I've never worn any jewelry this big but I do have big hands so maybe it isn't unreasonable? What do you all think? It's obviously thick in between my fingers but the ring itself was so smooth that it wasn't uncomfortable. These photos are more accurate to the color I saw in person, it's a medium-dark grey.
1724287009213.png
1724287065924.png

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

I think it looks lovely on your hands! Personally I would prefer a pearl with more orient, but if that isn’t an issue on your end it still suits you very well. The setting patent is very interesting as well, it looks like a pain and a half to drill.

It’s an interesting ring and its bold style fits your collection, though most of your other pieces are more delicate. The pearl looks like a high polish ball bearing which is very interesting! I think it’s a bit chunky but it definitely has style.

I think it looks lovely on your hands! Personally I would prefer a pearl with more orient, but if that isn’t an issue on your end it still suits you very well. The setting patent is very interesting as well, it looks like a pain and a half to drill.
Well I've never seen a high quality Tahitian pearl in person other than this one, so I probably don't know how good they can get! I do know that there's a big difference in how Tahitians look in different lighting, though, so I don't know if I saw it in the best possible lighting for evaluating orient/overtones.

I'm glad you liked the setting patent! I thought it was super interesting. The US patent number is 6053009 if you want to look it up, unfortunately I can't figure out how to link a PDF here.

It’s an interesting ring and its bold style fits your collection, though most of your other pieces are more delicate. The pearl looks like a high polish ball bearing which is very interesting! I think it’s a bit chunky but it definitely has style.
It's soooooo chunky! But like you said, I think it's super interesting and it feels very luxurious, if that makes sense. The little rings on the side actually move a bit, too, they're all attached to the shank in a kind of en tremblant way that I wasn't expecting and couldn't capture in a photo. I've been watching the ring for a while and the price just got down to where I decided to actually consider it.

The good news is that it would definitely survive pearl shrinkage syndrome! :lol:

Trying to find comps is hard because pearls are hard. I'm posting here in case it's helpful to anyone in the future and because it'll definitely be helpful to me in the morning!

Unique design but more classic, smaller pearl (11mm), fewer diamonds, less gold weight. $2550.
1724299085306.png

A current Mikimoto ring, more classic design with lower material costs and smaller (11mm) pearl. $6500 new, maybe a little negotiable.
1724299334778.png

Reaaaaally chunky vintage Mikimoto ring. Same size pearl (12mm), has a ding in it? Almost definitely has a higher gold weight. $4150.
1724299447865.png

Smaller pearl (9.5mm) in a more interesting color but less interesting design. Lab diamonds, less gold weight. $1498.
1724299588359.png
Pearl is almost the same size, setting is definitely less gold and is less interesting. Diamond weight is similar, but this one has bigger stones. $1595.
1724299742445.png
Similar size pearl (12-13mm), less gold weight, higher diamond weight (0.6ctw versus est. 0.32ctw). $2829
1724300289251.png

The only ring listed on Kojima pearl right now. Much much larger (17.3mm!) button South Sea pearl. $2520
1724300086601.png

Same exact ring, available for $3990 OBO on eBay in a not-useful-to-me size 5.5:
1724299884977.png
Same collection, sold on 1stdibs. More interesting pearl color. Listed for $4200, who knows what it sold for.
1724299956901.png
Secondhand Mikimoto ring in size 6.5 for $2700. Smaller pearl (10mm), less gold, more worn, but wayyyyy more diamonds. This pearl seems similar to the one I'm considering but is a little greener.
1724300550538.png

To throw a wrench in this decision, I just found another ring from the same Mikimoto + Italian designer combo in my size. It's quite a bit less expensive than the one on TRR but it's in Japan. More classic but not totally basic. hmmmmmm.

I don't want to post the actual photos lest it get snapped up while I'm sleeping, but it's kind of like a symmetrical version of the ring below. I asked to see an additional condition photo, we'll see if they get back to me.
1724302862189.png

Last edited:
Oooo I love the one right below the that is your original post! I used the link provided and OMG! When I saw it on the hand, it was LOVE!!!! Your ring is a close second!!! The one I love says it's unavailable? So is it wishful thinking to hope you got that one?! If it is no longer available, I do love the one you chose originally and I think you wear it well!
Can't wait to see what you decide!
The ring I Love, sold for 9,200 according to the listing!

Last edited:
The OP ring is going to be very uncomfortable to wear with such a fat shank. It looks to me like a ring made for a design competition, not for wearing.

Oooo I love the one right below the that is your original post! I used the link provided and OMG! When I saw it on the hand, it was LOVE!!!! Your ring is a close second!!! The one I love says it's unavailable? So is it wishful thinking to hope you got that one?! If it is no longer available, I do love the one you chose originally and I think you wear it well!
Can't wait to see what you decide!
The ring I Love, sold for 9,200 according to the listing!

Thanks, Patty! Are you talking about this one? Because that sold years ago, I think! But it gave me confidence that the one I'm looking at is a real Mikimoto.

1724335361742.png

The Italian designer doesn't seem to work with Mikioto anymore but they have a more delicate version of the one you like:
1724335805342.png
1724335873440.png
The OP ring is going to be very uncomfortable to wear with such a fat shank. It looks to me like a ring made for a design competition, not for wearing.
It wasn't uncomfortable when I had it on, but that's a good point. I'm going to try to go back today and wear it a little more.

No condition photo on the other one I'm eyeing yet. It has pave and is out of round so that should be a no go, right? It's hard to believe these thick chunky shanks could get out of round so it makes me wonder what happened to it. There's no photo of the bottom of the shank, which is what I asked for. And it's in Japan so there wouldn't be much recourse if there's a problem or if I just don't like it....

I also called Mikimoto about resizing. They said they would resize for someone who is not the original owner and that the typical resize costs ~$200, but of course it depends on the ring whether or not it can be done. I can get the ring on and off my middle finger but it's a bit of a struggle. I just want a liiiiittle more room! It isn't a soapy water situation and would be fine in winter but I would feel better with it having a little more space. It is so tempting to just hammer it a bit on a mandrel myself if I get it....

One more photo of the surface. I was trying to capture that I could see the white of my nails.1724348195351.png

Thanks, Patty! Are you talking about this one? Because that sold years ago, I think! But it gave me confidence that the one I'm looking at is a real Mikimoto.

1724335361742.png

The Italian designer doesn't seem to work with Mikioto anymore but they have a more delicate version of the one you like:
1724335805342.png
1724335873440.png

It wasn't uncomfortable when I had it on, but that's a good point. I'm going to try to go back today and wear it a little more.

Oooooo I love that too, such more delicate. I just find it somewhat strange to have the pearl against the skin like that. I wear lotion a lot and wonder if that would be a nightmare?

You might just be turning me into a pearl girl ;) Thanks!

Yes, I believe the ring above sold years ago.

No condition photo on the other one I'm eyeing yet. It has pave and is out of round so that should be a no go, right? It's hard to believe these thick chunky shanks could get out of round so it makes me wonder what happened to it. There's no photo of the bottom of the shank, which is what I asked for. And it's in Japan so there wouldn't be much recourse if there's a problem or if I just don't like it....

I also called Mikimoto about resizing. They said they would resize for someone who is not the original owner and that the typical resize costs ~$200, but of course it depends on the ring whether or not it can be done. I can get the ring on and off my middle finger but it's a bit of a struggle. I just want a liiiiittle more room! It isn't a soapy water situation and would be fine in winter but I would feel better with it having a little more space. It is so tempting to just hammer it a bit on a mandrel myself if I get it....

I wouldn't be keen to purchase a ring that is that thick out of round. I agree with you, very hard to believe that it is out of round. I believe the ring was over 12 grams. A lot of gold for sure to make it! So strange.

As long as they will size it, I think the price is very reasonable!

Mikimoto has such a unique design and style, and to get a ring you really like that's used/authenticated/in great condition is a treat! I think as others have said the pearl isn't tippy top quality, as they say, but I think Miki pieces like this are really about the design aesthetic. If you love it, I say get it!

Ooh so I’m finally in the correct thread!

Just read that your ring is from Japan. So is my sister’s. They seem to love their chunky gold pearl rings?!

This is hers. Boat load of gold! I could have scrapped it for gold if the pearl was a dud.

IMG_4093.jpeg

Just read that your ring is from Japan. So is my sister’s. They seem to love their chunky gold pearl rings?!

This is hers. Boat load of gold! I could have scrapped it for gold if the pearl was a dud.

IMG_4093.jpeg

Yours/your sister's is so fun! Chunky but still feminine.

The one I just got is a Mikimoto + Broggian ring. They did the Mikimoto starfish line but I think most of their other pieces have been discontinued now. Here's a FB post with some photos of other pieces from the collaboration, it's a very distinct aesthetic: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.735269329893041.1073742721.187619517991361

And a WWD article from 2003 that mentions the collaboration: https://wwd.com/feature/mikimoto-looks-beyond-the-pearl-720128-1913524/

I can link the one from Japan now that I decided not to purchase, in case anyone here is interested. It's less expensive than the one I got even with import duty but the out of round scared me plus it's from Japan and I didn't get to see it in person. I did get a photo of the bottom of the shank, though, and they said the stones weren't loose.... Maybe it was out of round on purpose? Hard to imagine what could have reshaped it while leaving the bottom of the shank intact. This ring is $1400 OBO and a size 7.5 US on their mandrel -- seems like a steal for the amount of gold, diamonds, big 12.3mm pearl, brand name, etc.!

1724387116287.png
1724387126832.png
1724387157267.png
1724387178167.png

IMG_4093.jpeg

one day when we go for lunch we have to invite your sister

It came and it looks so much better either with the good lighting or with my little bath or maybe just because of a jewelry equivalent of Stockholm syndrome where I'm now committed to owning it. But it even fits now without resizing! I had biked to the store and it was hot weather so my fingers were a bit swollen, at home it goes comfortably on and off both middle fingers. Hooray!

The real color is kind of a steely blue-grey. Still not much in the way of overtones but I like the body color a lot. I've been typing this up while wearing it and it's not my most comfortable ring ever but definitely would be wearable to work and not just dinner.

Some photos:

1724530312661.png
1724530322264.png
1724530415656.png1724530453512.png
1724530424392.png

It came and it looks so much better either with the good lighting or with my little bath or maybe just because of a jewelry equivalent of Stockholm syndrome where I'm now committed to owning it. But it even fits now without resizing! I had biked to the store and it was hot weather so my fingers were a bit swollen, at home it goes comfortably on and off both middle fingers. Hooray!

The real color is kind of a steely blue-grey. Still not much in the way of overtones but I like the body color a lot. I've been typing this up while wearing it and it's not my most comfortable ring ever but definitely would be wearable to work and not just dinner.

Some photos:

1724530312661.png
1724530322264.png
1724530415656.png1724530453512.png
1724530424392.png

I think it looks amazing on your hand, and the skin of the pearl is sooo smooth.
Congrats on a lovely piece! :kiss2:

I think it looks amazing on your hand, and the skin of the pearl is sooo smooth.
Congrats on a lovely piece! :kiss2:

Thank you!

I remember yssie saying that Mikimoto seemed to value smooth skin over a lot of the other characteristics with their Tahitians and that certainly seems to be the case with this one.

Oh wow that is just amazing! Of course the pearl is nice, but the metalwork on the band is really impressive too!

A gorgeous statement piece! I am rewatching the Rings of Power series now and this ring is giving me that vibe. Such a strong statement and clear design aesthetic, clearly it must hold some ancient power… not elven, but dwarven perhaps.

Oh wow that is just amazing! Of course the pearl is nice, but the metalwork on the band is really impressive too!

Thank you! I agree that the metalwork is cool, that's what initially drew me to it because the pearl photos on the website were pretty uninspiring. The little circles are all some kind of en tremblant attachment so there's a bit of movement. The whole thing feels very luxurious and special!

A gorgeous statement piece! I am rewatching the Rings of Power series now and this ring is giving me that vibe. Such a strong statement and clear design aesthetic, clearly it must hold some ancient power… not elven, but dwarven perhaps.

Oh you're totally right! My other jewelry is more delicate and feminine but sometimes you just want something that looks strong and solid, right? It'll be my ring of power :lol:

Thank you! I agree that the metalwork is cool, that's what initially drew me to it because the pearl photos on the website were pretty uninspiring. The little circles are all some kind of en tremblant attachment so there's a bit of movement. The whole thing feels very luxurious and special!

Oh you're totally right! My other jewelry is more delicate and feminine but sometimes you just want something that looks strong and solid, right? It'll be my ring of power :lol:

I feel like you and I share a love for the art form of jewelry as much as the beauty or other symbolic aspects of jewels. This piece is so very obviously a creative output of a designer, which is always special even if it’s not a conventional aesthetic.

I don’t have the budget really to collect other people’s jewelry art right now, so I sate this desire by co-designing my pieces and selecting all the gems and all that. Have you done much of that yet? I think you might like it. Your Weil ring has more of your hand in the design.

I feel like you and I share a love for the art form of jewelry as much as the beauty or other symbolic aspects of jewels. This piece is so very obviously a creative output of a designer, which is always special even if it’s not a conventional aesthetic.

I don’t have the budget really to collect other people’s jewelry art right now, so I sate this desire by co-designing my pieces and selecting all the gems and all that. Have you done much of that yet? I think you might like it. Your Weil ring has more of your hand in the design.

The closest I've come with jewelry is that Weil ring! And a little bit of beading/stringing because worst case you just undo it and the only cost is materials and time. But I love to sew and made my first evening gown earlier this year. I think that's where I have put my design energy so far because it feels lower stakes! Jewelry mistakes other than beading are so much more costly.

I would love to have an Erika Winters wedding set, as I've said several times on here, and otherwise my remaining list is just an interesting and bolder diamond bracelet and maybe a nice watch. I've been doing a lot of acquiring this year but it's starting to feel like I have an actual jewelry wardrobe to choose from which is nice.

This was the gown I made. I wore a 14k gold chain that my mother and I found in my grandmother's things -- it was the only piece except her wedding set that wasn't costume -- and MC2 floral earrings.
1724551578381.png

The closest I've come with jewelry is that Weil ring! And a little bit of beading/stringing because worst case you just undo it and the only cost is materials and time. But I love to sew and made my first evening gown earlier this year. I think that's where I have put my design energy so far because it feels lower stakes! Jewelry mistakes other than beading are so much more costly.

I would love to have an Erika Winters wedding set, as I've said several times on here, and otherwise my remaining list is just an interesting and bolder diamond bracelet and maybe a nice watch. I've been doing a lot of acquiring this year but it's starting to feel like I have an actual jewelry wardrobe to choose from which is nice.

This was the gown I made. I wore a 14k gold chain that my mother and I found in my grandmother's things -- it was the only piece except her wedding set that wasn't costume -- and MC2 floral earrings.
1724551578381.png

I love everything about this dress and it is totally something I would wear. The fabric has just a tiiiiny hint of classic 70s couch which takes a style of dress that could be sweet and makes it a little edgy. Lurve.

I would love to be able to sew but I’ve never had the patience to learn. I see many new interesting hobbies in my future as my kids are almost out of the house and I see vast amounts of personal time opening up beyond that horizon.

I love everything about this dress and it is totally something I would wear. The fabric has just a tiiiiny hint of classic 70s couch which takes a style of dress that could be sweet and makes it a little edgy. Lurve.

I would love to be able to sew but I’ve never had the patience to learn. I see many new interesting hobbies in my future as my kids are almost out of the house and I see vast amounts of personal time opening up beyond that horizon.

The fabric was a lucky purchase from Liberty of London! I got the last 4 meters and had to eke the dress out of it, only had tiny scraps left. Edgy couch floral, I love it!

My mom taught me. She grew up in the rural midwest and it was her main hobby but she hasn't sewn much in the last 30 years. My sister didn't have the patience for it and I didn't either when she first tried but I picked it back up in my 20's. Hopefully you find some hobbies that are fulfilling and don't eat up too much of the jewelry budget! :lol:

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP