shape
carat
color
clarity

My emerald ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
Since i can't post my e-ring (yet), i thought i get my fix from posting my emerald ring first....
9.gif
2.gif

emerald ring.jpg

firerock, that is a very pretty ring. I love the color of your emerald. The channel set diamonds really enhance it. Wish I had one like it. Emerald is my birthstone but I can't get myself to buy one because I didn't want to deal with all of the enhancements (e.g. oiling, resins, filler etc).

cflutis,

thank you! it was a good thing that when i piced out this stone 5-6 years ago, i didn't know as much as i know now aobut gems. i only went for the super green color.
21.gif
My birthstone is garnet and i was never that fascinated by it. But i'm begining to learn more about it and see more and if one is cut right, it can be very pretty! I may end up with one someday...
love.gif

Firerock-

Beautiful stone. Sometimes I wonder if we spend too much time worrying about what things are and too little time appreciating thing for how they are.

Your stone is lovely. May I ask the carats, so I can put it into perspecitve?

Thanks
Maya
tongue.gif

Thanks Maya, when i said i didn't know anything when i bought this stone, i really meant it.
9.gif
You asked a tough question. But lucky you (and ME) that my b/f is an engineer and he can calculate anything. My guess was around 1.5ct. I couldn't recall the weight. With a digital caliper, calcuator and knowing the density of emerald, he went to work.... he was able to figure out the ct weight, which it came out to 1.6ct (+ and -).

A long time ago, i watched a 20/20 show and they did an investigation on gem stones sold in America. They went to Tiffany's and a few other big stores, purchased a few stones and took them to an appraiser. What they found was incredible. Most of the "perfect/eye clean" emeralds have been treated or enhanced (even the ones bought from Tiffany). They said to question any perfect looking emeralds before buying. So after that, i remembered to NOT pick a super clean emerald. This is one stone that i don't mind having some inclusion/imperfection.

FYI, for those who would like the weight estimation formula for a rectangular step cut:

length x width x depth x SG x .0025 x (weight correction factor)

SG of emerald is (2.72 +.18,-.05)

WCF:
extra thick girdle could add up to 10%
excessive crown or pavillion bulge could add up to 18%
wide corners could decrease weight by up to -5%

Source: GIA Colored Stones Grading Class materials and GIA Gem Reference Guide

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP