shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help learning about appraisals/grading

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
A number of people here have suggested Richard Sherwood.

The truth is, I don''t know the first thing about this process. Assuming I procure my own stone through an online dealer, OR through a local jeweller who shows me samples, I would definitely want to have the thing independently assessed. I will probably be given a 1 to 2 week period to do this.

Is it best to go local? I''m in Toronto and I''m sure there are many qualified gem labs here. Hoping somebody has a suggestion.

And, what should I be looking for? Do appraisals actually guess at an average market value, or do they just certify the gem''s physical characteristics, likely origin, cut, and so forth? I would be looking to assess either some species of corundum (ruby or pink sapphire) or spinel.

Are "appraisers" different from "labs"? I read somewhere that an appraiser does his work much more subjectively and based on "gut" than the labs do, partially because they don''t have the mega-costly equipment the big gem labs have. So which service should I be looking for?

Go to Pala gems web site- there is a great article on appraisals, what they mean, what they are worth, and what your insurance company does with it!

Laboratories identify gemstones.
Appraisals are people who try to tell you what could be the value of your stone in the market.
Its completly different job. Appraisal usually need first to get the stone identified correctly and then they do their job. But in the case of color gemstones to put a price is something very difficult most of the time as price depends on the place you are and many other factors. Basically one of the best definition of price for gemstones I've heard is "the maximum amount of money one is ready to pay to get this particular gem".
All the best,

Not to contradict Mogok - but some places are both a lab and provide an appraisal – all in one stop. They will provide a grading using some system (like GIA) and provide an estimated appraisal.

Are you in the Toronto area? There is an appraiser in Thornhill called Martin Sheffield. There is a website (http://www.usacerteddiamonds.com/).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP