shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on this Round 1.84 G VS2 stone - pls help!

ayushkhatri

Rough_Rock
1.84 G VS2 HRD certification (attached again) - Price $9250 ,
HCA Score 1.8
Light- VG
Fire - EX
Scint - VG

Video Image (from video) and certificate attached
IMG_8282.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8283.jpeg
    IMG_8283.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 23
For that price and size it's pretty good... Color looks more like a GIA H - nice looking Vs2... My preference would be more towards a 35 or 35.5 Crown Angle vs 36.. The cut execution could be bit more precise but again for that $ Price you have a nice one.. Will you be able to see it in person to make sure you like before buying ?

Thanks! Yes , I’ll be able to see it in person

By the way, if you have time you might want to read up a bit (see Garry's Kindle Book - he created the HCA) on what to look for when shopping.... Given you're @ UAE You have access to lot's of Diamonds that you can see in person and @ lowest prices in the world...

Last edited:
For that price and size it's pretty good... Color looks more like a GIA H - nice looking Vs2... My preference would be more towards a 35 or 35.5 Crown Angle vs 36.. The cut execution could be bit more precise but again for that $ Price you have a nice one.. Will you be able to see it in person to make sure you like before buying ?

Hi - this is what thee stone looks line in person...unfortunately, I can't open the sealed pack until I confirm that I want to buy it . Thoughts? My jeweler friend procured it from a supplied and said there is no BGM. Color wise he thinks its a GIA H- and def not an I. But he can't fully tell with a shade card unless he opens the pack. IMG_8301.jpg

The cut is nice but not ideal-ideal. You can see the darkness between the arrows under the table. And the angles are squeezing by. It looks like and H/I to me. It’s not possible to say “it’s not an I” looking at it face up. So it comes down to your own priorities for this one. Not being able to see it out of the packaging is not preferable either as it affects light play and your ability to properly evaluate the diamond.

The cut is nice but not ideal-ideal. You can see the darkness between the arrows under the table. And the angles are squeezing by. It looks like and H/I to me. It’s not possible to say “it’s not an I” looking at it face up. So it comes down to your own priorities for this one. Not being able to see it out of the packaging is not preferable either as it affects light play and your ability to properly evaluate the diamond.

Agreed 100%.

The GIA stone will be a known commodity for color, as GIA is the standard. That's good. There are things I like better about the cut, like the slightly fatter arrows and small table and high crown. It is deeper than we like and the HCA score over 2 is ordinarily a reject. I can see in the video some signs of leakage under the table (slight darkness there). I'm not sure which I would pick between this and the original TBH as neither is the ideal proportions I would choose. I might lean to the first one in this case.

Is your gf or her family color sensitive? Will they look down on a warmer diamond at all? There is the risk with the HRD stone which at least in those pictures looks quite warm to me (but could be environmental reflections). Has she seen the HRD stone?

I don't know where you're located and this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but someone is selling their super ideal cut 1.6 I/VS2 ACA from Whiteflash on the Preloved PS Jewels subforum here. This would give you top-notch cut and because the GIA stone posted is a little deep the 1.6 carat stone is only 0.04mm smaller than the 1.7 carat one. Obviously it is a private seller instead of a store but it does allow you to get something with perfect cut at a discount. I personally am all for preloved and have bought several of my pieces from PS members but that might not be what you want to do.

Here's a video comparing a not-so-good GIA excellent to a super-ideal cut to show you the difference. Something with excellent proportions but without the precision of an ACA will be in between these two options.

here's add'l for the GIA...
1727898048508.png

1727897961311.png

I don't know where you're located and this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but someone is selling their super ideal cut 1.6 I/VS2 ACA from Whiteflash on the Preloved PS Jewels subforum here. This would give you top-notch cut and because the GIA stone posted is a little deep the 1.6 carat stone is only 0.04mm smaller than the 1.7 carat one. Obviously it is a private seller instead of a store but it does allow you to get something with perfect cut at a discount. I personally am all for preloved and have bought several of my pieces from PS members but that might not be what you want to do.

Here's a video comparing a not-so-good GIA excellent to a super-ideal cut to show you the difference. Something with excellent proportions but without the precision of an ACA will be in between these two options.

I’m in dubai. Thank you. Happy to check it out

The GIA stone will be a known commodity for color, as GIA is the standard. That's good. There are things I like better about the cut, like the slightly fatter arrows and small table and high crown. It is deeper than we like and the HCA score over 2 is ordinarily a reject. I can see in the video some signs of leakage under the table (slight darkness there). I'm not sure which I would pick between this and the original TBH as neither is the ideal proportions I would choose. I might lean to the first one in this case.

Is your gf or her family color sensitive? Will they look down on a warmer diamond at all? There is the risk with the HRD stone which at least in those pictures looks quite warm to me (but could be environmental reflections). Has she seen the HRD stone?

She’s not seen either stone. G HRD for her is a G. H Is an H. I don’t think they understand the difference in grading qualities.

I prefer the GIA

I prefer the GIA

And it’s cheaper too. I really wanted to surprise her with a slightly bigger stone tho. Will look for other options - haven’t found many under 2 HCA in dubai or India.

She’s not seen either stone. G HRD for her is a G. H Is an H. I don’t think they understand the difference in grading qualities.

But her mom loves diamonds so she probably knows and was suggesting F , G. As long as it looks white face up I think it’s ok.

I prefer the GIA

FWIW , this is a 1.81 H VS1 I bought in 2015. Unfortunately, that engagement didn’t work out. It’s an HCA of 1.8 and I my personal amateur opinion is that it’s a great stone.

Wonder how the HRD and GIA 1.7 compare to this ..

Also, def can’t give her the same stone lol. IMG_8378.jpeg

ouch those proportions are pretty good - too bad you cant re-use... have your jeweler take it over to HRD for one of their grading certificates with a fresh date and put it in a new ring/setting.....

they have a Lab in UAE....
1727906057420.png

Last edited:
ouch those proportions are pretty good - too bad you cant re-use... have your jeweler take it over to HRD for one of their grading certificates with a fresh date and put it in a new ring/setting.....

1727906057420.png

lol this is very efficient!

Sometimes people who don’t know much about diamonds will mostly notice color and carat. Might bear that in mind re: your gf and her mom.

1727906057420.png

Haha I wish .. but nooo I can’t do that even though that’s the smart thing to do. Feel like it’s bad luck as this stone was meant for someone else. Can repurpose it later and give it to her but I think she deserves my time and effort to find something that’s meant for her :)

lol this is very efficient!

Sometimes people who don’t know much about diamonds will mostly notice color and carat. Might bear that in mind re: your gf and her mom.

I think her mom will notice color for sure. I think my gf won’t care if it’s F G or H - she’s cool like that. As long as it’s a nice shiny stone that’s white face up and above 1.7 , she good.

I prefer the GIA

my jeweler friend inspected the stone and rejected it only because of the mixed tinge. otherwise its a good stone . But , he said he would not buy it.

I now have two more choices.

1.8 G VVS2 by IGI - HCA 2.9 VG, VG, G ,G - $9100
(https://ds-360.jaykar.co.in/ds_360.php?chk=QWxs&q=SllLMTdKMjMxMDc1LVA=0) Friend saw it and said its a good stone - more like a decent GIA and is saying its a good option

1.81 H VS2 GIA - HCA 1.8, VG, EX, VG, VG - $10,200 (above my ideal budget of $9000) - My friend has not seen this physically yet
Video and ASET images : http://app.dnavin.com/Account/dnapage?PacketNo=50174

Both Certs attached...

Really appreciate all you guys' help here!

GIA.png

Attachments

i think the orig choice is best deal...

1727962979956.png

unless you fancy a Strong Blue....1.70 ct GIA G Vs1

1727967897509.png

1727967940902.png
1727968629897.png

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP