shape
carat
color
clarity

New brooch conversion project?

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Hello friends! I just got this antique French-made brooch with 2-3ct OMCs from a private seller with a 24 hour return period. I'm honestly not sure how accurate that carat weight estimate is.
Debating what to do with it - options I can think of are:
- keep it as is, maybe a necklace connector?
- convert to a pair of ear clips
- take out the diamonds (the french gold setting...sigh) to
1. make an epic graduated band / gypsy ring
2. use the stones for a graduated omc halo
1725593438179.jpg
1725593456755.jpg
Let me know your thoughts, any input appreciated!

I love them as earrings and agree that it seems both simple and preserves the character and original craftsmanship, but I don't know anything about clips for non-pierced ears.

How is the size on the top of your wrist? Could it be a bangle/bracelet conversion? I don't personally love the idea of completely dismantling it, I think it would be a bit of a waste...

Hello friends! I just got this antique French-made brooch with 2-3ct OMCs from a private seller with a 24 hour return period. I'm honestly not sure how accurate that carat weight estimate is.
Debating what to do with it - options I can think of are:
- keep it as is, maybe a necklace connector?
- convert to a pair of ear clips
- take out the diamonds (the french gold setting...sigh) to
1. make an epic graduated band / gypsy ring
2. use the stones for a graduated omc halo
1725593438179.jpg
1725593456755.jpg
Let me know your thoughts, any input appreciated!

oh my its so pretty

oh my, it's lovely. The proportion of it - especially on your hand is exquisite. I would keep as is :kiss2: Do I also spy the new Elsa Peretti Bone Cuff ring? :kiss2:

I love them as earrings and agree that it seems both simple and preserves the character and original craftsmanship, but I don't know anything about clips for non-pierced ears.

How is the size on the top of your wrist? Could it be a bangle/bracelet conversion? I don't personally love the idea of completely dismantling it, I think it would be a bit of a waste...

The only concern I have about clips is that they are not going to sit as nicely on the earlobe as the mock pic because of the shape…
It’s 5.5cm, a bit too long without bending it. Will post a pic when I get back home. The idea of a bangle sounds great though!

oh my, it's lovely. The proportion of it - especially on your hand is exquisite. I would keep as is :kiss2: Do I also spy the new Elsa Peretti Bone Cuff ring? :kiss2:
Awww thank you!!
Yes yes yes that’s indeed the new bone cuff ring! So happy you spotted it, I love that collection so much

Awww thank you!!
Yes yes yes that’s indeed the new bone cuff ring! So happy you spotted it, I love that collection so much

Me too, the ring is definitely on my list.

I like the earrings idea as well, keeps the original setting which is very pretty.

If you can find a way to make them danglies I think earrings is a great idea. I like the aesthetic of danglies better than clips for these.

I like the earrings idea as well, keeps the original setting which is very pretty.

Admittedly I originally bought it for the diamonds, but the setting's grown on me. It's so well proportioned that I now once again hesitate to alter it. Maybe I should enjoy it as is for now.

Took it out to play today because I'm obsessed with new sparklies lol. I eyeballed the total carat weight - there are probably 3.5cts omcs, definitely one of the better deals I got recently.
You are so right I love it on my hand (no way this would make a ring as is though...) , even more so under the sun. The sparkles!
1725802426895.jpg

Playing with it as a brooch ... pinned on the most basic white tank top beacause I'm fancy lounging at home:lol-2:
jk but I got the idea from an ig post and I think it would work even better with a dress
1725803113580.png

Yes, don't change it on a whim!

I just bought my first brooch recently. I've thought about trying to convert it into a bracelet but I'm going to leave it alone for a while at least. You can't unchange it! And if you make yours into earrings and then later decide to just grab the stones (which again I think is a waste!), you won't have spent that much extra money in the process and might have had a chance to use the original lovely setting. I really think it's a great plan.

If you decide to pull the stones for a project later don’t be guilty. I’m sure whatever you create would be fantastic, loved, and worn. Which is the whole point of jewelry!

If you decide to pull the stones for a project later don’t be guilty. I’m sure whatever you create would be fantastic, loved, and worn. Which is the whole point of jewelry!

that's so well said. Thank you!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP