carat
color
clarity

Runners - Managing Foot Discomfort?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calling all runners! Long post alert….

I have been a runner most of my adult life. It’s my sanctuary, my therapy & my freedom from the stresses of life. I became sporadic in my mid 40’s due to increasing foot discomfort ranging from aching joints to feeling bruised on the soles of my feet & a diagnosis of Morton’s Neuroma. Plus repeated bouts of plantar fasciitis didn’t help.

I went onto transdermal HRT 18 months ago & my word, has it helped! Everything in every way was improved & my constant nagging right hip pain has pretty much gone. At New Year I decided now was the time to try & get back into it & lose weight, which I’ve made great progress with. I lift weights & do floor work as well, so all in all I am feeling in much better shape, despite still having some weight to lose, which I appreciate is putting extra strain on my feet even though it’s only 14 pounds.

I wear Hoka One One running shoes in a Clifton wide fit. These have always been the best support & cushioning for me & I get through them quicker than the recommended turn around, purely to keep the footbed as supportive as possible.

However, I still suffer from painful feel that feel a little bruised, especially if barefoot. I wear really supportive slippers whilst in the house & have never been a high heel or pointy toe shoe wearer, bar the odd wedding over the years. I wear a walking boot when I take the dog out come rain, hail or shine, which I remember felt very tight in the toe box when I first got them last winter, so I think they may be contributing. I have recently developed a painful big toe joint & it looks like it is swelling on the underside of the ball of my foot, like a bunion. This is not only painful, but a bit distressing given all the other issues I have suffered with my feet over the years. I am off to an Outdoor centre later today to get a better fitting waking boot for taking the dog out, as I think they maybe causing the swollen big toe joint & am sitting here in yet another brand new pair of running shoes that I’m about to go out break in. I switched from road running to the treadmill here at our home gym, as I find the spring loading much better than concrete despite the fact I much prefer to be outdoors in the fields & fresh air.

I have had blood work done & no sign if any kind of inflammatory disease such as arthritis etc. I use a vibrating ball across my feet regularly, which helps immensely for about 15 minutes, then the effect wears off. I’ve seen a Physio constantly over the years, a lovely guy who has physically kept me going since a break to my neck 17 years ago, plus all the associated ailments that come with running & life, including ultrasound therapy on my feet.

I am at a loss & so is everyone around me. It’s not pain in one area on one foot, but across the entire sole of both feet, literally akin to bruising. I had 3 wks off whilst we were on summer holidays & the pains disappeared, so it definitely correlates to exercise.

So what can I do that allows me to keep going with my beloved running, fitness & mental health focus, whilst helping my poorly feet? I am reluctant to stop cardio work & I hate a static bike with a passion. It’s just not my thing. Any tips??

I think it's worth seeing a podiatrist. I know how much foot pain can impact your life.

HI:

Sorry for your foot pain. I second a podiatrist--they can order XRays, orthotics, and cortisone shots if necessary. Or your GP.

Do you swim? Less joint stress and great exercise.

cheers--Sharon

HI:

Sorry for your foot pain. I second a podiatrist--they can order XRays, orthotics, and cortisone shots if necessary. Or your GP.

Do you swim? Less joint stress and great exercise.

cheers--Sharon

Hi Sharon!

Thanks for this. I did swim on holidays a huge amount (& noticeably lost weight in the 3 weeks, as I did 200 lengths of our 12 meter pool, so 2,400m a day!) but I do not have a pool local enough to where I live that I can fit in around school runs, dog walks & my work at school, which takes me out from 11am to 2pm each day. I don’t like to exercise in the evenings as A. Commitments with the girls after school such as horse riding or drama etc & B. Once I have cooked & eaten dinner it is always around 7.15 / 7.30pm. It would be late by the time I had digested, driven to a pool, exercised & got home again. I am actually now debating having a length pool put in at the Vicarage :oops2: Need to wait until the greenhouse is built & the vegetable garden finished first, so I can work with space & see if it’s viable without it being near to the formal lawns.

Will look to see if I can get a podiatrist appointment. There is one in the next Village to me, so easy peasy & for some reason, never crossed my mind!

I agree about a podiatrist - it sounds like your gait might be off and putting too much pressure on certain parts of your foot, in which case orthotics might help. I would make sure you're going to someone with a very good reputation, though, as the wrong ones could do more harm than good.

Do you think your shoes might be too roomy? If your foot isn't held securely it can lead to problems - everyone is different, but I prefer the speedgoats to the cliftons because I find the toe box too roomy.

And what kind of surface are you running on?

I agree about a podiatrist - it sounds like your gait might be off and putting too much pressure on certain parts of your foot, in which case orthotics might help. I would make sure you're going to someone with a very good reputation, though, as the wrong ones could do more harm than good.

Do you think your shoes might be too roomy? If your foot isn't held securely it can lead to problems - everyone is different, but I prefer the speedgoats to the cliftons because I find the toe box too roomy.

And what kind of surface are you running on?

Thanks for this. I’m pretty sure the width of the Clifton is right, as I have super wide feet (as do my girls). They don’t feel too spacious & my toes are snug at each outer edge - i just had a feel. I’m running on a super fabulous spring loaded treadmill only.

Will do a search for podiatrists, as I have no idea if the one near me is good or not :lol-2:

I just want to add that when looking for a podiatrist, try hard to find one that is a runner or at least an athlete. I have heard too many stories of runners being told to just quit running. A fellow runner/athlete may well be much more helpful in keeping you running.

It is possible that custom orthotics will help. Also, do you notice any improvements when you switch to a new pair of running shoes? If so, consider replacing them more frequently and/rotating shoes. I typically have 3 different pairs in rotation plus another dedicated pair for racing.

I just want to add that when looking for a podiatrist, try hard to find one that is a runner or at least an athlete. I have heard too many stories of runners being told to just quit running. A fellow runner/athlete may well be much more helpful in keeping you running.

It is possible that custom orthotics will help. Also, do you notice any improvements when you switch to a new pair of running shoes? If so, consider replacing them more frequently and/rotating shoes. I typically have 3 different pairs in rotation plus another dedicated pair for racing.

Thank you for this. And yes, I buy new shoes REALLY regularly, as i find having that new cushioning more often is a big help. Pre HRT, I knew it was time for new shoes when my right hip became suddenly unbearable :lol-2:

My BIL is a runner. He had surgery to his knee 10 years ago & was told he should never run again. So he found someone who was prepared to help, invest in him & not write him off. This June he finished the Montane Spine Race in the Lake District (UK). He ran 160 miles in 3 days & he smashed it! So you are completely right in finding a podiatrist who is an athlete or in the very least, sympathetic to someone who has a fundamental need to run - that really resonated with me. Thank you :kiss2:

Fellow plantar fasciitis and pinched nerve sufferer:
go to a podiatrist and request custom orthotics. Seriously, they’re the only thing that let me go about my day.
Bring a pair of your shoes in when you go, a good podiatrist should be able to see if you’re wearing down the soles unevenly. They should also check your gait.
You can use a tennis ball and sort of stand on it and roll it around on your foot, which can also help break up inflamed tissue.
I wish you the best of luck with this, foot pain sucks up the wazoo.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP