shape
carat
color
clarity

Second-largest diamond ever found is discovered in Botswana

dvj

Shiny_Rock
Thought others here might enjoy this article from the New York Times. One part that jumped out to me was the statement of something like “large diamonds sell the little diamonds”. Do you think that’s true? I include a link to the article, and the first couple of paragraphs here for those who can’t access it.
///
The diamond was so large that it obscured the face of Botswana’s president as he held it up for closer inspection on Thursday.
President Mokgweetsi Masisi grinned as he lifted the diamond, a 2,492-carat stone that is the biggest diamond unearthed in more than a century and the second-largest ever found, according to the Vancouver-based mining operator Lucara, which owns the mine where it was found.
This exceptional discovery could bring back the luster of the natural diamond mining industry, mining companies and experts say.
The diamond was discovered in the same relatively small mine in northeastern Botswana that has produced several of the largest such stones in living memory. Such gemstones typically surface as a result of volcanic activity.
“All of the stars aligned with that volcanic eruption, and the conditions were just perfect,” said Paul Zimnisky, an independent analyst in the diamond industry.
The rough diamond is large enough to fill an adult holder’s palm, and weighs more than a pound and a half, but its value is still unclear. The valuation process could take months, Mr. Zimnisky said.
Still, the diamond will likely sell in the range of tens of millions of dollars, he added. The discovery is likely to be a boost not only for the diamond industry, but also Botswana, whose economy is heavily reliant on the export of diamonds.
“The big diamonds sell the small diamonds,” Mr. Zimnisky said.

That picture of the diamond in hand is incredible - it’s the size of a snowball! I can understand why they’re likely to cut it into several smaller (but still huge) finished diamond - what on earth would one do with the single stone that rough would produce? At the same time, it’s a shame that we’ll never be able to see that cut finished diamond!

That picture of the diamond in hand is incredible - it’s the size of a snowball! I can understand why they’re likely to cut it into several smaller (but still huge) finished diamond - what on earth would one do with the single stone that rough would produce? At the same time, it’s a shame that we’ll never be able to see that cut finished diamond!
Rough that large will be Type II and often grow very quickly (we think) and so there may be very few inclusions captured during the growth. Type II also ore more likely to be high color (although many have a brownish rather than yellow tint).
The aim is to achieve as many flawless stones as possible because owning a stone or a piece made from all the diamonds cut from this stone is attractive to supa wealthy folk!
This excellent video shows one such example, and correct - we do not know if Graff sold it or if so who owns it?

They'll likely do another Cullinan type suite. They have the rough!

They'll likely do another Cullinan type suite. They have the rough!
Which nation needs their very own crown jewels?
The seven stones on the right side closest to Scott Sucher are the largest cut from the Cullinan (Many museums use Scott's replicas when they loan a diamond out or remove it for cleaning).
I just dropped Scott and his collection to the airport 5 hours ago :)1724807189795.png

Gary, how fun was that to fiddle with! What a talented man. Did he happen to have The Dresden Green? That is my absolute favorite.

Gary, how fun was that to fiddle with! What a talented man. Did he happen to have The Dresden Green? That is my absolute favorite.

Yes, third in from the right - he has not had much luck getting the right green CZ though - its a little pale I think but have yet to see it in person.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP