shape
carat
color
clarity

Sheets and Towel preferences?

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am searching for good quality cotton sheets and towels. Not sateen. Not linen cause it’s too wrinkly. Something crisp, not too thin and not hot. Preferably with long staple cotton. I have 3 dogs, two of whom love my bed. So sheets cannot be fragile. I used to like the Company Store good cotton sheets some years ago - but since they were bought by Home Depot their quality has slipped.

I know Sferra has fantastic sheets but spending thousands of dollars on sheets isn’t me. I know Sferra and Matouk and Frette have lower priced sheets .Are the lower priced ones good? What are good sheets? How can you tell when buying online? Ive tried Peacock Alley and wasn’t so much a fan. I did not think they held up that well. Am I just too picky?

I buy Charisma towels online from Costco. Plain white. Anyone have other suggestions? I’m fine with the towels. Just wondering what else is good.

Thoughts appreciated.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry no one has responded with a wealth of information and sources for you, because I swear I could've written this thread! I'm in exactly the same boat. I've bought so many kinds over the years, and just have not found "the ones" yet!

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Most of our sheets are cotton sateen, because good quality cotton percale is so hard to find. I used to buy percale sheets in Paris when my husband used to travel there often, and for the first year I would iron them - my husband found it amusing, but it made them significantly smoother. Eventually they softened up so that no ironing was needed.

We like deeply saturated color, and I can't find percale in rich colors for a reasonable price. The Paris shop where I used to buy them went out of business. So sateen it is.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I am searching for good quality cotton sheets and towels. Not sateen. Not linen cause it’s too wrinkly. Something crisp, not too thin and not hot. Preferably with long staple cotton. I have 3 dogs, two of whom love my bed. So sheets cannot be fragile. I used to like the Company Store good cotton sheets some years ago - but since they were bought by Home Depot their quality has slipped.

I know Sferra has fantastic sheets but spending thousands of dollars on sheets isn’t me. I know Sferra and Matouk and Frette have lower priced sheets .Are the lower priced ones good? What are good sheets? How can you tell when buying online? Ive tried Peacock Alley and wasn’t so much a fan. I did not think they held up that well. Am I just too picky?

I buy Charisma towels online from Costco. Plain white. Anyone have other suggestions? I’m fine with the towels. Just wondering what else is good.

Thoughts appreciated.

I've been searching for what seems ages for good sheets at a decent price. And The Company Store used to be my go to - but no longer. I did not know Home Depot bought them out, that's sad. The best sheets I ever bought, and I've bought a lot, were Charisma. They were so soft and lasted for years. I will not spend $700. for a set - ever. It seems impossible to buy sheeting based on what you can feel in the store. I was told that the manufactures apply a coating on the sheets to make them feel soft initially but it wears off after several washings. I've ordered online many times and have never been really satisfied. Probably never will unless I spend mega bucks. My fav towels are from Restoration Hardware. Thick and heavy.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a big fan of cotton percale sheets. Last year I got two sets organic cotton percale sheets from Crate and Barrel, both of which I like quite a lot. One set is from their 400 count line with embroidery details - very crisp hand. The other is 200 count from the eyelash line, a bit softer but still very nice. Neither is overly light weight, both are cut generously. I’d previously had a set from Pottery Barn that were nice, but a bit lightweight for my taste. (I should add that I got the PB sheets quite a few years ago and I don’t know what their current offerings are like.)

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the restoration hardware sheets but I cannot remember any details, sorry! I just did a search and this is what pops up.

Reactions: caf

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought Kate Spade percale sheets a few years back that were very sturdy and crisp-- in summer I found them very cool.
T. J. Maxx / Marshall's / Home Goods carry them.

ShinyPink

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel like someone's been spying on my search history from the other day! :wavey: I was looking for new sheets, but gave up in frustration. I want crisp percale with a very deep pocket. I have a few sateen sets, but it doesn't get that snappy clean feeling when you wash it, if you know what I mean.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Cuddledown, a name I deplore, has expensive percale sheets. They come in my preferred deep colors, but the reviews are mixed.

I do own Cuddledown sateen, and have good luck with them, so I'm tempted. They have a summer sale now (no affliliation.)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Macy's Hotel Collection and Charter Club.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
H:

I love Frette and Pratesi. I buy them on sale and they last forever.

cheers--Sharon

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like someone's been spying on my search history from the other day! :wavey: I was looking for new sheets, but gave up in frustration. I want crisp percale with a very deep pocket. I have a few sateen sets, but it doesn't get that snappy clean feeling when you wash it, if you know what I mean.

The Kate Spade sheets are the only ones I found that have a deep enough pocket for our mattress + topper (within our price range, that is; I paid 59.99 at Marshall's for the queen size Spade set). We need an 18" deep pocket and I found that the other sheet sets I tried that claimed to fit an 18" mattress did not actually fit.

Scon_ce

Shiny_Rock
I know you said no linen but these linen-cotton blend sheets are a fav. The white especially! They come on sale fairly often but even full price a steal at $78.99 for the king set. Very sturdy and they don't wrinkle much.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Inspired by this thread, and all you fellow sheet obsessives, I have ordered a set of Cuddledown percale. After all, it was on sale - right?

Merlot color. Our first set of French percale sheets was a deep wine red we adored and used for a very long time. Let's see how this measures up!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those having trouble finding deep enough pockets -- I gave up those sheets several months ago when I found out about the Better Bedder and now I use two flat sheets on the bed. So much easier and it's flexible enough to tuck in 2 sheets and a blanket.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
This is my topic! I researched sheets for AGES last year because I wanted to upgrade our bedding. While I can't remember the actual brand name, I do know that the line is called Venice and it is a lovely, cool percale. We bought our set from a Canadian store online called Hydeaway and they are great---excellent customer service!

The sheets come in a fairly wide range of depths so that might work for the deeper mattresses. Oh, I remembered the brand!!! It's St. Geneve. (Not many colors in this line, though.) (Lots of colors in the sateen set from the same brand but I'm a percale fan.)

The same brand also has lovely down pillows.

(I have no affiliation with the store or the brand--just a pleased consumer.)

Edited to add: I purchased from a Canadian store so I could pay in CDN and the brand is Canadian.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those having trouble finding deep enough pockets -- I gave up those sheets several months ago when I found out about the Better Bedder and now I use two flat sheets on the bed. So much easier and it's flexible enough to tuck in 2 sheets and a blanket.

I grew up with only flat sheets for top and bottom sheet. I don't think fitted sheets were very common in the early-mid 1960s.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

The Landsend percale sheets I purchased have really deep pockets/corners. Had to purchase a new mattress a couple years ago, and all but gave up on the fitted sheets that we had as they were not deep enough. Mattresses seem to be getting deeper and deeper!

I've used flat sheets on the bottom as well, but it bugs me when they aren't super-tight like good fitted sheets can be.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inspired by this thread, and all you fellow sheet obsessives, I have ordered a set of Cuddledown percale. After all, it was on sale - right?

Merlot color. Our first set of French percale sheets was a deep wine red we adored and used for a very long time. Let's see how this measures up!

IMO they get better with each wash! Nice and crispy.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
The Thomas Lee ones really are amazing percale. They get better as you wash them. Linen was an odd switch for us and I know you said no linen, but if you are at all prone to hot flashes it is wonderful.

I have been fascinated for years now with respect to sheets about the fitted sheet pocket depth. When everyone used innerspring mattresses, I totally got the need for super deep pockets. Now that foam is a huge part of the market, I do not get what is happening. We have a Casper wave hybrid mattress with a topper, and it seems like all fitted sheets are too deep in the pocket. After a night or two the bottom sheet ends up bunched.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As others have said, you want percale. Sateen feels nice on your hand but it's too slick and too prone to moving with you as you sleep. My wife has a thing for *just* the right sheets. Not the highest thread count -- we've wandered down that rabbit hole, unsuccessfully, before. (And I think she grew up sleeping on feed sacks so it's definitely an acquired preference and somewhat out of character...)

We used a too-small bed for many years because she had carefully curated a sheet/duvet arsenal that she thought would be near-impossible to replicate. Only when we stumbled across a handmade solid cherry Cali King from our favorite furniture-maker for $300 (!) on NextDoor did we take the plunge.

Back to sheets: we have had good luck with the Brooklinen sales for "outfitting" the new bed. Crisp but soft -- not too thick and not too thin. (We do not iron sheets and never will.) Some of the patterns are horrific. We have one set that looks like orange contour lines from a topo map -- but we laugh about it and also can't see in the dark. And then there's another set (again, on sale for a reason, I'm sure) that were introduced to me with a genuine "OK, how awful are these...?" But they are super-comfortable!

lala646

Ideal_Rock
I copied and kept this link from a couple of years ago. Someone highly recommended these sheets and I believe @MamaBee bought them and loved them too. I have never bought or used them though as I am not in the market for them right now.

I bought a set based on that recommendation, and I love them! Just bought a second set on the recent Prime day. They are "sateen", but not a heavy sateen. I've had sateen sheets in the past that felt oppressively heavy, and these are not like that.

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
My favorites:

Sheets: Costco, Kirkland 680 thread, white
Bath Towels: Costco Charisma, white
Kitchen Towels: Geometry

I love white for bathrooms and bedrooms. I’m completely addicted to Geometry towels… if you’ve never tried them, they are amazing! The prints are awesome, they are microfiber (not the nasty texture catching kind, lol) so they absorb a ton and last forever. I use their tea towels and dish clothes. I’ve been meaning to switch over to their bathroom towels the next time I need to replace my Costco towels.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are lots of things I don't consider percale, being sold as percale. To me, percale is a dense weave (not a 200ct that I'd call muslin), and it has a cool slick finish. I haven't found any percales that have that same cool slickness of my '60s to '80s and '90s percales that were made in USA. Most of the better percales I've found in the past couple of years are brushed, not smooth and slick. That said, I bought the My Pillow percales last summer, and a couple more sets this summer, and I like them. 100% cotton, which my mother must have due to being on oxygen. They hold up well to steady use. I just buy queen sets and use them on either queen or full size bed, so pocket depth is kind of a moot point. But they have fairly deep pockets to fit a thick mattress. I don't have air conditioning, and the My Pillow and other 100% cotton sheets sleep cooler for me in summer. The colors I bought this summer are Sand, which is pretty, a warmer and more golden color than it looks online on my screens, and Sea Glass which looks a bit lighter in real life than it does on the site, and it's not drab. I think the My Pilow percales are a good value on sale, with a promo code. I miss being able to walk into any Montgomery Ward or Penney's or even T.J. Maxx and buy a set of ideal percale sheets straight off the rack, and very affordable on sale, to boot. I have a vast collection of old full and queen vintage percales in wild florals.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results