shape
carat
color
clarity

Sheets and Towel preferences?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may not be of much help, but you my want to consider linen if you sleep hot. I made the sheet sets for my bed (wasn't the cheapest thing I've ever done but, the bed is an odd size)

Linen is hardy and sleep cooler than cotton. The only issue you might have is it looks lived in. My bottom sheets is 8oz linen, so pretty heavy and spreads out well on the bed without wrinkles. The top is 5oz which means I don't need to use a blanket except in winter. Pillow cases are a bit of a weird mix of cotton, linen and silk (silk is for me...lol)

https://cultiver.com/collections/sheets-sets This was one of the companies I was looking at. They don't look bad, they are using a softened linen (as I also did) I came out a bit cheaper making what I made but sometimes thats going to be the case.

They use 1.65gsm or about 5oz linen which is fine for most people. I went with 8 on bottom because I was being bougie...lol

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been searching for what seems ages for good sheets at a decent price. And The Company Store used to be my go to - but no longer. I did not know Home Depot bought them out, that's sad. The best sheets I ever bought, and I've bought a lot, were Charisma. They were so soft and lasted for years. I will not spend $700. for a set - ever. It seems impossible to buy sheeting based on what you can feel in the store. I was told that the manufactures apply a coating on the sheets to make them feel soft initially but it wears off after several washings. I've ordered online many times and have never been really satisfied. Probably never will unless I spend mega bucks. My fav towels are from Restoration Hardware. Thick and heavy.

@Ann I’ve heard the same thing about the coating on sheets. I wish we could try mega sheets out before buying, don’t you? Like if they lasted for 5-10 years, maybe I could be convinced! I like Costco’s charisma towels but even they are not what they used to be.

I’ll try Restoration Hardware towels. @missy recommends RH for sheets.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m a big fan of cotton percale sheets. Last year I got two sets organic cotton percale sheets from Crate and Barrel, both of which I like quite a lot. One set is from their 400 count line with embroidery details - very crisp hand. The other is 200 count from the eyelash line, a bit softer but still very nice. Neither is overly light weight, both are cut generously. I’d previously had a set from Pottery Barn that were nice, but a bit lightweight for my taste. (I should add that I got the PB sheets quite a few years ago and I don’t know what their current offerings are like.)

@VRBeauty - I’ve tried sheets of all materials. I like percale the best. Long staple cotton preferably. I read all different things about thread count - it doesn’t matter, it does matter, it doesn’t matter with long staple cotton, etc. I don’t know who or what to believe. Every sheeting company has their own spin. It’s all marketing - not to denigrate marketing. I’ve bought other things from CB and generally “trust” their brand. I’ll take a look at their sheets.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the restoration hardware sheets but I cannot remember any details, sorry! I just did a search and this is what pops up.

@missy - thanks. I’ll take a look. @Ann recommends HB towels. How are the kitties doing? Feeling better?

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thomas Lee makes wonderful percale. Crisp, cool.

https://thomasleesheets.com/

We ended up moving to linen because it’s just so damn hot, but these are my preference for cotton percale.

@Tonks - thanks! I will look into them. It’s been very hot in Colorado too. My hesitation with linen is two fold - the washes necessary to get it “broken in” and that it doesn’t have the cool feel of cotton percale. I might just break down and try though!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought Kate Spade percale sheets a few years back that were very sturdy and crisp-- in summer I found them very cool.
T. J. Maxx / Marshall's / Home Goods carry them.

@pearlsngems - thanks!! I will see what I can find. My problem with TJ Max, etc. is that you often can’t replicate your purchase once you find something you like. So you like something and they never have it again! I think that’s a “me” problem. I used to be ok with that and didn’t mind switching it up - but now I guess I just want some certainty with sheets.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy - thanks. I’ll take a look. @Ann recommends HB towels. How are the kitties doing? Feeling better?

Thanks for asking. They are all eating now knock wood. Tommy is laying on me as I type this. He is such a LOVE. Good luck with finding the purrrrffect sheets. I know I am super picky about sheets and they need to have exactly the right amount of softness. Not too much, not too little. Let us know what you decide

Reactions: caf

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These are the "My Pillow" 100% percales, in colors Sand and Sea Glass. Jake is demonstrating the product today. :mrgreen: The wrinkles are how the sand set comes out of a standard dryer. I think the 2023 percales are crisper, less brushed, and don't wrinkle as much, but wrinkling is not really an issue that concerns me. Mom needs 100% cotton due to oxygen, and I need something that is comfortable in summer without air conditioning. These are reasonably priced on sale, and occasionally My Pillow offers free shipping or a promo code that will give you free shipping on an order that's less than $75 or whatever they advertise. I'm not one to spend hundreds of dollars on sheets. I find something good enough and reasonably priced, buy 2 or 3 of it, and quit while I'm ahead. Your priorities may vary. lol All of these My Pillow sheets have held up well to steady use and weekly laundering.
DSCN0848c.JPG

Another brand that I like, but not for our hot humid no-AC summer, is the Liz Claiborne 575TC sheets at J. C. Penney. I managed to snag two sets of queen size for around $34 each on sale in late summer / early fall 2023. I like them in cooler weather, but they sleep hot and clammy without AC. All-cotton sheets feel a lot better. There might be some other suitable sheets at Penney's, but our local store closed.

Attachments

• DSCN0850c.JPG
    DSCN0850c.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is one set of the Liz sheets.

Liz Claiborne Ultra Fit Performance 575TC Sheet Set.​

The flat sheet is lighter gray. Fitted and pillowcases match each other, so I kept this set. I bought 2 gray sets and 1 tan, and only this one gray set was not perfectly matched. It didn't bother me, it actually looks artistic, so I kept them all. These feel slick like older percales, but also have polyester in them that makes them too clammy in summer for me without AC. They're fine for 9 months of the year, for the price paid, and the color goes with my winter quilt. These have worn like iron. No pilling, no fading, and the foot section hasn't worn thin or developed holes. They don't wrinkle much, either.
20231021_140303.jpg
sheet1.jpg

This seems a really US-centric thread in terms of recs and stuff, so I won't say anything there; but I just wanted to defend sateen sheets a bit since everyone here seems to love percale! I live in India and it gets soooo hot here but I still love my high TC sateen sheets (long staple cotton), because that's what the air conditioning is for lol. I like how they feel so smooth.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
This seems a really US-centric thread in terms of recs and stuff, so I won't say anything there; but I just wanted to defend sateen sheets a bit since everyone here seems to love percale! I live in India and it gets soooo hot here but I still love my high TC sateen sheets (long staple cotton), because that's what the air conditioning is for lol. I like how they feel so smooth.

I had a set of sheets that I loved for years - bought from a U.S. catalog site, but the sheets were woven in India, and called sateen. I still have the flat sheet, although the fitted died long ago, so I am sure. It was not very much like the sateens I buy today, but a soft sheet, still extremely smooth after at least 15 years, and yet substantial. Not heavy but not light enough for that drapey/silky feel. Indian sateen rocks!

I had a set of sheets that I loved for years - bought from a U.S. catalog site, but the sheets were woven in India, and called sateen. I still have the flat sheet, although the fitted died long ago, so I am sure. It was not very much like the sateens I buy today, but a soft sheet, still extremely smooth after at least 15 years, and yet substantial. Not heavy but not light enough for that drapey/silky feel. Indian sateen rocks!

Oooh I never thought that it might be different there than it is here! I figured sateen is just sateen.

I’d say my sheets last a really long time, I’ve had the same sheets for at least a decade now I think!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually prefer the sateen sheets from Kate Spade. They are not as crisp and cool as the percale ones but they are less noisy! :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For sheets: 100% cotton in the highest thread count Costco carries when I happen to buy.
For winter I prefer flannel from Portugal; I grab them when Costco has them.
For towels it's whatever Costco has in 100% cotton.

30 years ago I bought the most expensive sheets I could find, and I loved them.
But I guess over time, I vary.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It could be that the sateen sheets being sold in the U.S. are an inferior quality or weave, or they are short fibers instead of long. I bought some about 8 or 9 years ago that were junk. The bottom fitted sheets soon wore then, then developed huge holes where feet rested on them. The pillow cases and top sheet were reasonably durable. But those sateen sheets also slept very hot in the summer. Color fading was also a problem.

My mother literally has some percale all-cotton flat sheets that were given to them as wedding presents in 1950, and those sheets were used steadily by a family of five for probably 20 years. They all look fine and have no holes and are perfectly usable, except they are full size and she uses a twin XL size adjustable bed now.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thomas Lee makes wonderful percale. Crisp, cool.

https://thomasleesheets.com/

We ended up moving to linen because it’s just so damn hot, but these are my preference for cotton percale.

So I looked them up and actually emailed them. Their cotton is long staple cotton, grown in USA and made in USA too. Woman owned and operated TEO certified. I’m going to try them soon. Will report back! Oh and I think they’ll mail you a sample of their cotton too.

Last edited:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the Hotel Collection for sheets and comforters too!

Thanks! I will look into them too. I think I’ve bought them before and when I went to get more - all sold out. Have king bed and kings seem to sell out.

I am also now interested in those that @Tonks recommended. Thomas Lee - interesting name for a Woman owned and operated company. I think they send samples so I’m going to ask for a sample.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It could be that the sateen sheets being sold in the U.S. are an inferior quality or weave, or they are short fibers instead of long. I bought some about 8 or 9 years ago that were junk. The bottom fitted sheets soon wore then, then developed huge holes where feet rested on them. The pillow cases and top sheet were reasonably durable. But those sateen sheets also slept very hot in the summer. Color fading was also a problem.

My mother literally has some percale all-cotton flat sheets that were given to them as wedding presents in 1950, and those sheets were used steadily by a family of five for probably 20 years. They all look fine and have no holes and are perfectly usable, except they are full size and she uses a twin XL size adjustable bed now.

^^ This. @AdaBeta27 - sateen definitely seems not to last as long. I now try and buy white percale sheets and white towels mostly because they don’t fade. I feel like sheets used to be “buy it for life” or even half life. Now they last for a couple of years and give out. You spend 1/3 of your day on your sheets, pillows and mattress. It’s important.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know you said no linen but these linen-cotton blend sheets are a fav. The white especially! They come on sale fairly often but even full price a steal at $78.99 for the king set. Very sturdy and they don't wrinkle much.

You know @sconce I should try linen. I think I’ve been stubborn hoping to find that perfect percale sheeting that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg for a sheet set. I will check out your suggestion.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are lots of things I don't consider percale, being sold as percale. To me, percale is a dense weave (not a 200ct that I'd call muslin), and it has a cool slick finish. I haven't found any percales that have that same cool slickness of my '60s to '80s and '90s percales that were made in USA. Most of the better percales I've found in the past couple of years are brushed, not smooth and slick. That said, I bought the My Pillow percales last summer, and a couple more sets this summer, and I like them. 100% cotton, which my mother must have due to being on oxygen. They hold up well to steady use. I just buy queen sets and use them on either queen or full size bed, so pocket depth is kind of a moot point. But they have fairly deep pockets to fit a thick mattress. I don't have air conditioning, and the My Pillow and other 100% cotton sheets sleep cooler for me in summer. The colors I bought this summer are Sand, which is pretty, a warmer and more golden color than it looks online on my screens, and Sea Glass which looks a bit lighter in real life than it does on the site, and it's not drab. I think the My Pilow percales are a good value on sale, with a promo code. I miss being able to walk into any Montgomery Ward or Penney's or even T.J. Maxx and buy a set of ideal percale sheets straight off the rack, and very affordable on sale, to boot. I have a vast collection of old full and queen vintage percales in wild florals.

@AdaBeta27 - thanks. I’ve read that the My Pillow guy does make good products. (He’s not my political cup of tea but I’m all for supporting a U.S. company.) so I’ll look into them.

I too miss being able to walk into a store and being able to find good cotton percale sheets. I sound old!!! What I’ve learned recently (from you and others) is that there is a coating applied to some sheets to make them seem better than they are. Then the coating wears off and voila you have shitty sheets.

Have you tried the My Pillow pillows? Are they anything special?

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My favorites:

Sheets: Costco, Kirkland 680 thread, white
Bath Towels: Costco Charisma, white
Kitchen Towels: Geometry

I love white for bathrooms and bedrooms. I’m completely addicted to Geometry towels… if you’ve never tried them, they are amazing! The prints are awesome, they are microfiber (not the nasty texture catching kind, lol) so they absorb a ton and last forever. I use their tea towels and dish clothes. I’ve been meaning to switch over to their bathroom towels the next time I need to replace my Costco towels.

@Lavenderdragondly23 - thanks. I’m all over the Costco charisma towels. In fact, I just got a box of them yesterday that I need to open. The bath sheets are the best.

I thought charisma cotton percale sheets were not made anymore. I will investigate the costco website.

Where do you get the Geometry towels? I’ll google them. Kitchen towels are another peeve of mine. I have some from the eighties that my mom gave me back then. They’re still working. Most these days give up the ghost within a year. I will say that I’ve gotten Williams Sonoma all cotton (like a firm linen) ones and they last.

I’ll check out your suggestions! Thanks!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I may not be of much help, but you my want to consider linen if you sleep hot. I made the sheet sets for my bed (wasn't the cheapest thing I've ever done but, the bed is an odd size)

Linen is hardy and sleep cooler than cotton. The only issue you might have is it looks lived in. My bottom sheets is 8oz linen, so pretty heavy and spreads out well on the bed without wrinkles. The top is 5oz which means I don't need to use a blanket except in winter. Pillow cases are a bit of a weird mix of cotton, linen and silk (silk is for me...lol)

https://cultiver.com/collections/sheets-sets This was one of the companies I was looking at. They don't look bad, they are using a softened linen (as I also did) I came out a bit cheaper making what I made but sometimes thats going to be the case.

They use 1.65gsm or about 5oz linen which is fine for most people. I went with 8 on bottom because I was being bougie...lol

@Arcadian thanks for sharing your thoughts and suggestions. You and everyone else have been great help. Also there is some reassurance in finding out that I’m not crazy and that others agree that sheet quality is variable and often lacking. I’m heartened to know that there are still some good sheets I need to try.

Ive heard your linen message (and others’) I will try the linen. Denver has been beastly hot this summer and, even with ac, sleeping has not been good. When I moved here in the eighties (from NY) most people here didn’t even have ac. Now everyday is upper 90’s with smoke and ozone warnings. My worry is that linen will be scratchy and itchy. But you have given me parameters for my linen search and I will try them.

And bougie is good. A good bottom sheet is hardly bougie though. Is there anything different about linen care that I should know?

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For sheets: 100% cotton in the highest thread count Costco carries when I happen to buy.
For winter I prefer flannel from Portugal; I grab them when Costco has them.
For towels it's whatever Costco has in 100% cotton.

30 years ago I bought the most expensive sheets I could find, and I loved them.
But I guess over time, I vary.

@kenny - thanks. I’ve been hearing that Portugal makes some great sheets.

I too used to buy some sheets from Costco. I think they were Charisma cotton percale. They lasted and felt nice. But the last few times I’ve looked at Costco sheets and felt them, they felt coated and slick. But you and @dragonlavenderfly23 (and others) say Costco sheets are still good. I’ll investigate and report back.

I love the Charisma Costco white towels - thick, absorbent and not too coated. They wash well and don’t shrink much.

As to flannel, it’s probably too hot for me. But I’ll never say never. PS’ers’ suggestions have been great and given me hope that some sheeting is still good. Thanks for yours!!!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually prefer the sateen sheets from Kate Spade. They are not as crisp and cool as the percale ones but they are less noisy! :lol:

@pearlngems - thanks!!! Agreed as to the noise factor. Percale sheets can be louder than sateen. But they’re so cool and nice to slip into. I’ve liked Kate Spade products in other things. I’ll check them out.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

@empliau - thanks! ok, a vote for Indian sateen. Where can we buy them? Some of the brands mentioned in these posts are made in India. Clearly India knows textiles. As I’ve been researching sheets, I’ve taken note of where they are manufactured. And also whether they have the Teo- Tex (??? I hope I have this right!) seal. I think that means no child labor, eco friendly and using “approved “ cotton. Whatever that means. I bet your great sheet also had no coating on it. I’ll keep an eye out for sheets from India.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian thanks for sharing your thoughts and suggestions. You and everyone else have been great help. Also there is some reassurance in finding out that I’m not crazy and that others agree that sheet quality is variable and often lacking. I’m heartened to know that there are still some good sheets I need to try.

Ive heard your linen message (and others’) I will try the linen. Denver has been beastly hot this summer and, even with ac, sleeping has not been good. When I moved here in the eighties (from NY) most people here didn’t even have ac. Now everyday is upper 90’s with smoke and ozone warnings. My worry is that linen will be scratchy and itchy. But you have given me parameters for my linen search and I will try them.

And bougie is good. A good bottom sheet is hardly bougie though. Is there anything different about linen care that I should know?

Linen is amazingly easy to care for and being a long staple fiber naturally, you get very nice smooth fabrics, plus, it has a habit of softening over time. When I made my set chose presoftened on purpose. Crunchy linen has its place...but not in the bed!

I prewashed my fabric as always in hot water to really shrink it down and linen can shrink about 10%. I now wash on eco warm but dry on a normal dryer cycle (i have sensor dry)

If you buy pre made make sure that your set is presoftened. also you do not want to wash in hot because your sheets could shrink. Cold, or eco warm is fine. Cool to normal dry (or line dry) is fine but you do not want to over dry the sheets or use a super hot dryer.

I live in Florida, and my husband sleeps quite hot and he absolutely loves these sheets. (I do too for different reasons...lol)

Also premade sheets are usually going to be made with a softened linen, so they would be comfortable from the start, but they will get softer as time goes on as thats the nature of the fiber.

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
@Lavenderdragondly23 - thanks. I’m all over the Costco charisma towels. In fact, I just got a box of them yesterday that I need to open. The bath sheets are the best.

I thought charisma cotton percale sheets were not made anymore. I will investigate the costco website.

Where do you get the Geometry towels? I’ll google them. Kitchen towels are another peeve of mine. I have some from the eighties that my mom gave me back then. They’re still working. Most these days give up the ghost within a year. I will say that I’ve gotten Williams Sonoma all cotton (like a firm linen) ones and they last.

I’ll check out your suggestions! Thanks!

Just Google Geometry towels… when you find yourself an hour later putting together sets, you’ll know you’re in the right place, lol!

You’re welcome!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, sheets and towels in white. Bed linens, only linen. Bottom sheet and duvet cover. I’ve had some of my pillow cases 25 years. It’s pretty indestructible and Texas is hot; so much cooler than cotton. Towels, Egyptian or Turkish cotton. Won’t last as long as bed linen. Good luck! You’ve gotten great feedback.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@AdaBeta27 - thanks. I’ve read that the My Pillow guy does make good products. (He’s not my political cup of tea but I’m all for supporting a U.S. company.) so I’ll look into them.

I too miss being able to walk into a store and being able to find good cotton percale sheets. I sound old!!! What I’ve learned recently (from you and others) is that there is a coating applied to some sheets to make them seem better than they are. Then the coating wears off and voila you have shitty sheets.

Have you tried the My Pillow pillows? Are they anything special?

No, I never tried their pillows because I need a thin, barely-there pillow. I buy the pairs of cheap ones from Dollar General and put 4 on my bed. That way, I sleep with one thin pillow and had an extra to throw over my face each morning to ward off my Oriental cat slapping my face too early in the morning. :lol: I use 3-4 to prop up to watch TV.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results