shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy this 3ct natural diamond?

sodamelon

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I have been offered this oval for my engagement ring and would appreciate any advice on whether the price is reasonable; we have been quoted the equivalent of $64,584 (£48,500) for the oval loose diamond.

Here is the video:
I'd also be grateful for any advice on the inclusions/ depth/four main pavilion facets as we are not so knowledgeable on how to assess those!

Thanks so much!

PS I have tried to blur out the GIA number for privacy reasons.1000081069.jpg

price is bit high.. did you see it's price history @ USD on Stone algo ? They seem to bump it up to $68.688 every weekend then back down to $48,852

interesting in Chinese culture, 6 and 8 are lucky numbers and 688 is considered a lucky number combination (easy life and wealth)

1726927190578.png

1726927262203.png

@freddyboston has provided you with some valuable information!

This is a 4 main which in general (in my experience) has better light return than your typical 8 main. However, at this size/price, I would
ask for advanced images (ASET and Idealscope images) to check on the light return. I dont see any issues with the stone but again, I
would insist on the advanced images. It does have a small crystal on the edge of the table. I would ask if it is eye-clean.

@freddyboston has provided you with some valuable information!

This is a 4 main which in general (in my experience) has better light return than your typical 8 main. However, at this size/price, I would
ask for advanced images (ASET and Idealscope images) to check on the light return. I dont see any issues with the stone but again, I
would insist on the advanced images. It does have a small crystal on the edge of the table. I would ask if it is eye-clean.

Thanks so much for your advice. I should probably have made this clear but we had actually placed a refundable deposit on this diamond to view it in a couple of weeks but it happened to arrive early and we have just got back from seeing it in person (though we are v inexperienced at looking at diamonds!).

The diamond is indeed eye clean but none of the advanced imaging is available. I am assuming it hasn't been done. Is there a way for us to tell light return without this paperwork?

Is it usual to request this extra report is done before purchasing? The jeweller who has sourced it has said that oval diamonds don't commonly have the report but of course if it is something we should insist on please let us know.

Thanks for your advice on the 4 main facets; one brand we spoke to seemed to think only 8s exist and wouldn't give us any advice on this so we've been relying on Google.

@freddyboston Thought I'd reply in the same post just to say that we have been quoted the price through a jeweller we intend to use. Thanks for your info too. We weren't aware of this site and are hoping to use it to negotiate price. We were told the diamond was being sold from India. Is the graph you indicated usually very accurate?

Other jewellers are offering us similar prices for diamonds with more inclusions so in the lower end of the vs2 range so I do wonder how much I could negotiate it for...

If you've got this far, I've attached a pic from today! Though FYI it's currently being shown tacked together on a band with stand in side stones which is why it's a bit wonky. IMG-20240921-WA0007.jpg

Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG-20240921-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20240921-WA0006.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 11
Thanks so much for your advice. I should probably have made this clear but we had actually placed a refundable deposit on this diamond to view it in a couple of weeks but it happened to arrive early and we have just got back from seeing it in person (though we are v inexperienced at looking at diamonds!).

The diamond is indeed eye clean but none of the advanced imaging is available. I am assuming it hasn't been done. Is there a way for us to tell light return without this paperwork?

Is it usual to request this extra report is done before purchasing? The jeweller who has sourced it has said that oval diamonds don't commonly have the report but of course if it is something we should insist on please let us know.

Thanks for your advice on the 4 main facets; one brand we spoke to seemed to think only 8s exist and wouldn't give us any advice on this so we've been relying on Google.

@freddyboston Thought I'd reply in the same post just to say that we have been quoted the price through a jeweller we intend to use. Thanks for your info too. We weren't aware of this site and are hoping to use it to negotiate price. We were told the diamond was being sold from India. Is the graph you indicated usually very accurate?

Other jewellers are offering us similar prices for diamonds with more inclusions so in the lower end of the vs2 range so I do wonder how much I could negotiate it for...

If you've got this far, I've attached a pic from today! Though FYI it's currently being shown tacked together on a band with stand in side stones which is why it's a bit wonky. IMG-20240921-WA0007.jpg

Thanks again!

I'm not an expert but it sure looks beautiful on you in the photo! It sounds like you were able to see other stones that you didn't like as much so that's something. Were you able to see it in different lighting?

@freddyboston[/USER] Thought I'd reply in the same post just to say that we have been quoted the price through a jeweller we intend to use. Thanks for your info too. We weren't aware of this site and are hoping to use it to negotiate price. We were told the diamond was being sold from India. Is the graph you indicated usually very accurate?

Thanks again!

yes it is accurate for specific stones... Stonealgo feeds to Adiamor (they also had the listing) among other vendors so that would have been their actual retail price for that diamond...

1726938585671.png

I like the look of this diamond a lot based on the vendor picture and your own photos. The proportions are nice and the facet patterning looks good. Advanced imaging is desirable, but since you are seeing it in person maybe you can compare it to other options? Have you seen others to compare it to?

I don’t know enough about ovals to comment on any other that, that’s a very pretty one!

Your pics look very nice. It seems to be very bright. Oval cuts come in 10 main, 2 different 8 mains, 6 main, and 4 main (and I'm
sure there are some non-typical cuts out there).

Aset and Ideal scope images arent reports...they are pictures (images). More info on them here...

You can see some oval aset images on this Whiteflash page

Did you get to look at it in all different kinds of lighting? Outside?

I have to say that it looks like a really nice stone.

Now that the jeweler has it in hand I wonder how much negotiating they'll be willing to do. You cant get access to it through any other
vendor (at a lower price) until this jeweler sends it back. I think the jeweler can only hold on to it for a certain amount of time though
before it needs to go back.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP