shape
carat
color
clarity

Should we change some Forum names and rules?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This has been carried over from the thread on LGD
Questions include
1. Should RockyTalky be changed to:
Natural Diamonds
Natural Diamonds & Jewelry

2. The rules for SMTB - perhaps they should be just:
Brag shamelessly about your Bing
Remove restrictions to say pearls - that seems irrelevant today- and diamonds plus LGD and not imitations and costume jewelry?
(there is a section for fashion jewelry down below)

3. Are yo'all happy with LGD's including MMD
Should we still ban CZ and Mossanite - or direct the posts to Fashion Jewelry?

4. Colored Gems - should we be only discussing only natural gems

5. Jewelry Pieces is dead - move into SMTB? (if possible?) or delete?

6 and 7 - leave as is?

1725676619188.png

My humble opinions in bold below. And nothing is intended with the CAPS -- I'm just trying to make it easy to pick out my responses.

Natural Diamonds
Natural Diamonds & Jewelry - YES

Remove restrictions to say pearls - that seems irrelevant today- and diamonds plus LGD and not imitations and costume jewelry? - YES

Should we still ban CZ and Mossanite - or direct the posts to Fashion Jewelry? - YES

4. Colored Gems - should we be only discussing only natural gems - YES

5. Jewelry Pieces is dead - move into SMTB? (if possible?) or delete? - I DON'T THINK SMTB IS THE RIGHT PLACE FOR SOME OF THE DISCUSSIONS IN JEWELRY PIECES BECUASE THEY CAN BE ALONG THE LINGS OF "WHICH WATCH SHOULD I GET?" OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT (I.E., NOT SHOWING A NEW PIECE OFF BUT LOOKING FOR OPINIONS OR IDEAS). IF ANY CHANGE IS MADE THOUGH WE DON'T WANT TO LOSE THE ONGOING ROYAL OR CELEBRITY RING THREADS

6 and 7 - leave as is?

1. Yes
2. No
3. No
4. Yes
5. No

> Remove restrictions to say pearls - that seems irrelevant today- and diamonds plus LGD and not imitations and costume jewelry?

YES!!! Please!!

Questions include
Natural Diamonds

Thanks for asking! Seems reasonable.

Remove restrictions to say pearls - that seems irrelevant today- and diamonds plus LGD and not imitations and costume jewelry?

Agree with permitting pearls and anything else natural and amazing -- and I'd be OK with LGD but not with simulants.

I never see any mention of CZ or Moissanite here -- do they have a home currently? In any event, I would not want to see simulants here.

4. Colored Gems - should we be only discussing only natural gems

I think so -- but there are some fine cutters now working with lovely synthetics. Mention of these is sufficiently rare that it has not adversely impacted this subforum yet, imo.

5. Jewelry Pieces is dead - move into SMTB? (if possible?) or delete?

No, I still like to look here -- agree with some other posters that it is non-overlapping with SMTB (which I seldom look at). Visibility is low but there are some cool things that do not seem to fit elsewhere. That said, I would post a sapphire ring in Colored Stones and not in Jewelry Pieces.

6 and 7 - leave as is?

Yes, I enjoy (6) and may have never peeked at (7).

My thoughts on allowing LGDs, pearls etc on SMTB:

Yes, let’s open up for all kinds of posts, but let’s also institute a tagging system (mandatory for posting) to classify whether the piece is (majorly/mainly):
- natural diamond
- LGD
- pearl
- natural coloured stone
- metalwork (gold/platinum)

Meaning that if someone has a natural emerald with LGD melee they should tag it “natural coloured stone”, if the centre stone is an LGD and the melee is natural diamond it should be tagged “LGD”, if it’s a necklace with small diamond stations and a giant pearl drop it should be tagged “pearl” etc. Tag the focal part of the design.

Personally, one of the things that has turned me off of the Reddit jewelry subs is that there’s barely any natural diamond content anymore, and I’m just not that interested in LGD jewelry. Since most people here would also like to combine the forums (and I can see how it makes sense - let the sub forums for natural diamonds/ LGDs/ coloured stones/ pearls be purely for technical discussion and SMTB to show off their pieces) let’s also make it easy to navigate for visitors to only look at whatever kind of jewelry they’re currently interested in viewing!

as for the other forums - agree with renaming RT. Also have no idea what the “Jewelry Pieces” subforum is for, tbh. People tend to discuss the design elements of their jewelry on the relevant stone subfora.

1. Yes, please

2. Yes to pearls! I feel a bit mixed on the LGD. I could go either way, but do have concerns about how that will actually work out for PS. Agree on keeping the imitations and costume jewelry to fashion (along with moissanite and CZ).

3. LGD only, everything not diamond off to Fashion Jewelry please.

4. Colored Gems - I would let that be what it is. Specialized enough for the lovers of gemstones to just enjoy the subject, natural or lab. Most conversations are natural stones. No simulants though.

5.I would let Jewelry Pieces alone. Or, please preserve/move the long threads if you do decide to let it go.

6 and 7 -yes, please leave it....please don't touch our beloved Pearl or Antique threads.

Coming to speak on 6, the antique and vintage sub. Would love to see it just continue as is, there is a lot of heart in it and it is thriving compared to when I first signed up in 2016.

1. Should RockyTalky be changed to: YES
Natural Diamonds

2. The rules for SMTB - perhaps they should be just: NO, unless there is some naming convention for threads or tagging
system like @AllAboardTheBlingTrain mentioned. I like to know what I'm looking at. I'm not much of a Pearl fan so I'd
rather skip those threads.

3. Are yo'all happy with LGD's including MMD - NO - I think CZ and Mossanite should stay in Fashion Jewelry

4. Colored Gems - should we be only discussing only natural gems - YES

5. Jewelry Pieces is dead - move into SMTB? (if possible?) or delete? - NO

6 and 7 - leave as is? - YES

To sum it up
1 YES
2 NO (but YES with conditions)
3 NO
4 YES
5 NO
6 and 7 YES

1 YES
2 NO
3 NO
4 YES
5 NO
6 and 7 YES

1. Yes
2. No
3. No
4. Yes
5. No

I love the idea of labels or tags to quickly ID the main stone type. Would this be possible on the PS platform @Garry H (Cut Nut) ?

new thread for this discussion

i need more coffee, its sunday morning here and Garry might still be asleep ....
nope he is up:lol:

A. Show Me the Bling — “Show off any and all fine jewelry that belongs to you here.” [Any type of rock set in precious metal, plus gold/platinum/silver metal jewelry pieces. Tags: natural, lab, simulant; diamond, moissanite, color gemstone, pearl; yellow gold, white gold, platinum, silver. Hypothetical yes: moissanite engagement ring in 14k gold. Hypothetical no: CZ in steel. IMHO rules that let people post pretty much every engagement ring set in gold and platinum in the SMTB forum, except moissanite, is not a pretty look.]

B. Natural Rocks — “Ask questions and post your photos of natural diamonds, gemstones, and pearls.” [Natural diamonds, color gemstones, and pearls.]

C. Lab and Simulant Rocks — “Ask questions and post your photos of lab diamonds and color gems, and moissanite and other simulants.” [All other rocks. Tags: lab diamond, lab color gem, cultured pearl, moissanite, other simulant. Remember there are well-respected lapidaries and vendors who deal in ideal/specialty cut moissanite.]

D. Settings — “Ask questions and discuss settings.” [Anything goes, with tags for natural, lab, and simulant; and type of metal.]

E. Watches, Antiques, and Fine Metal Jewelry — “Ask questions and post photos of watches, antiques, and gold, platinum, or silver metal jewelry.”

F. Fashion Jewelry — “If it sparkles but it doesn’t fit in anywhere else, show it off or ask a question here.”

G. Other Jewelry Talk — “Reviews, thoughts, comments, or questions about anything else jewelry related.”

H. Hangout

I. Pre-Loved

Recommend photo previews and “like” buttons.

Respectful suggestions!

I have been pondering the SMTB integration of "all things" all day. Frankly worried without some sort of structure, the SMTB would look like the return chute at the local library, and would end up unusable. Also, possibly too quick moving.
I think @oncrutchesrightnow has a good idea with sorting the topics out (natural and manmade idea).
Could you have a SMTB Natural stones and SMTB Man Made/Lab?

Last edited:
@Garry H (Cut Nut)

Somebody posts a thread with a title. They can choose one photo that shows up under the title. You can have a “like” button and tags so people can react even without replying and can screen out the stuff they don’t want to see. Then the poster can post text in the body of the thread plus more photos. Here’s SMTB forum:

I got engaged! [title]

[Photo of a LGD solitaire]

Tag [click on tag checkbox when making post]: LGD, 14k gold [someone sorting by tag who does not select “LGD” would not see it]

[Thumbs up like button]

[Click on title to see body of post] Check out my awesome ring!!!!!!

[Five more photos]

Isn’t it awesome?

[reaction emoji button][Reply button]

Here’s Natural Rock Forum:

Should I buy this GIA XXX diamond?

[Photo of a diamond with a giant dark spot in the middle and all kinds of graining]

Tag: natural diamond

[Click on title to go to body of post] GIA says it’s triple x so it’s awesome, right?

[more photos]

This has been carried over from the thread on LGD
Questions include
Natural Diamonds
no no no no no no no no no
This place would not be home without RockyTalky
If anything its time bring LGD into RockyTalky and keep the name.

no no no no no no no no no
This place would not be home without RockyTalky
If anything its time bring LGD into RockyTalky and keep the name.
Sadly Karl, I think RT may be about to pass on. I always associated it with Leonid's quirky sense of seriousFun :)

I think changing some names and altering a few rules makes good sense in order to encourage participation and the meet the needs of consumers who find Pricescope forums a long term educational and friendly space. Forum name changes are the least important. Probably naming them clearly is best since the long history of their naming is not a controlling force to most users.
Don't mix Lab Diamonds with Mined Diamonds.
Keep two forums so they can be discussed separately.
Host a natural colored gems forum to include natural opals.
Host a separate forum for all lab colored gems including assembled gems that contain natural materials.
Host 2 forums
Open a bead forum to include pearls, cultured pearls, and all natural material beads.
Host a costume jewelry forum where and simulant gemstones and costume jewelry may be freely discussed.
Don't allow self promotion.

Other changes in naming or general content forums are out of my league. I'm sure, many of us never visit the non-diamond forums. Keep the ones that are working and delete the ones with little interest or content.

It is sort of ironic that this discussion of content, forum names and rule changes is posted on the RT forum. Posting this on the RT forum shows a need for some sort of modification when important questions of design and content arise that deserve user feedback.

Please don't make the changes too complicated. Having to filter too much will be a pain so not throwing too many things into something like SMTB would be my preference so I agree with @MMtwo about having separate SMTB for natural and man made/lab.

KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) rules

1. NO. RockyTalky is what we are all used to. Why change it?

2. NO. SMTB should be bifurcated into SMTB Naturals (including pearls) and SMTB Labs (including lab sapphires, rubies etc).

I would also like to see Preloved separated in a similar fashion.

I vote yes on all Garry's suggestions.

Long time problem: (first world, of course)
Do Fancy Colored Diamond threads belong in Colored Stones or Rocky Talk (with its new name)?
After all, FCDs are both.

Lots of CS experts spend little time on RT, and vice versa, so right now when an OP wants FCD support they are reaching only half of our experts unless they post same thread in both fora, which is against cross-posting rules.

Should ALL FCD discussions be redirected to one of those two fora ... or might FCDs warrant their own forum?
But the helpful regulars are not going to hang out and wait for the rare FCD thread to appear, so a dedicated FCD forum would be a nearly-dead one.

Another possibility is combining CS and RT into one forum, which also has downsides.

Last edited:
PS now has fewer eyeballs and fewer eyeballs. :blackeye:

How bout relaxing the restrictions on controversial topics?
Might liven the place up.

I hear there is a big event soon in America that would generate lots of traffic here ............ that is, if it could be discussed. Wink Wink Nudge Nudge.

PS sponsors like to reach lots of eyeballs.

Last edited:
KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) rules

1. NO. RockyTalky is what we are all used to. Why change it?

2. NO. SMTB should be bifurcated into SMTB Naturals (including pearls) and SMTB Labs (including lab sapphires, rubies etc).

I would also like to see Preloved separated in a similar fashion.
Re RockyTalky - to gain more eyeballs the search feeds might be better - that is above my pay grade but I want to explore it - and if it helps get more "eyeballs" then its a must.
Otherwise it's KISS - Just a new forum for Lab-SMTB- I think that's where we are going Lulu.

@kenny - Do Fancy Colored Diamond threads belong in Colored Stones or Rocky Talk (with its new name)?
Creating such forums with little traffic risks having few people see such posts as not everyone is as wise an investor as you - you and maybe a few others would see things, lots of others who could have helpful PoV's might miss them?

I would love an area strictly dedicated to bespoke work or designing.

I would love an area strictly dedicated to bespoke work or designing.

As with the question I posed in my last post Niel, as we have more than a dozen diamond, gems, and all sorts of jewelry.
If we started on it may not attract enough of you really helpful people to catch and help folks - so the most popular threads, that people are passionate about, seem largely to cover design and bespoke aspects.
If I am wrong, then Yo'all pounce on me ;-)

Arguably the only one missing is watches - but there seems to be so many forums

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results