shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone fell out

sabinameister

Shiny_Rock
I have had my wedding band for about 2 months. I took it to my local jeweler for an inspection and cleaning and they said all looked good. The next day I noticed a diamond was missing. I contacted my jeweler that did the inspection and cleaning and basically was told it fell out the next day since they checked it. I can’t prove they checked it as they took it to the back. They want to charge me $150 to set a replacement stone that I am getting shipped to me from the person who made it overseas. Is this about right? Should I file a claim under my insurance policy with JM? Should I go a different route? It cannot be seen whilst wearing it, but I’ve had nothing but problems with all my pervious wedding band.
IMG_5777.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5772.jpeg
    IMG_5772.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 17
Sounds a bit steep to set the diamond - are there other jewelers in your are to check prices? Not sure what your deductible with JM is, but it might not be worth filing a claim unless you include the cost of the replacement diamond too.

I agree, that is a small repair for such a steep price. I would check around.

Thank you! I do have one other non chain store I can check with. I appreciate your input.

A few points.
You made an enemy by sourcing your own stone.
Since Covid a lot of small bench baby boomer stores shut up and retired. Most remaining shops are paying bench workers as much as double!
Finally hammer set or whatever you call it is infamous for stones falling out after cleaning. The process involes drilling a small hole and cutting a diamond shaped cavity with a diamond profile dental burr. Knowing how deep to go is hard because you cant see the groove depth.
The edges are then pushed back, stone dropped in, and edges hammered over. If the groove is too large the stone wiggles about and they sometimes make their way out.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP