shape
carat
color
clarity

Tanzigrrl's Jewelry Renovation Project - Part 1

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm very pleased to share this with all of you!

This is the first of what I hope will be a 3 part renovation project all stemming from one diamond ring. At Christmastime, when I was home visiting family, my 90-year-old grandmother gave me this ring. It's a 1970s diamond and yellow gold pave ring. There are 29 diamonds, all G-H / VVS-VS and well-matched for size. Total weight almost 2 carats. The 7 diamonds in the middle section are 10 pointers each, while the 22 on the "sides" are 8-8.5 pointers each.

Now, this ring is just not my style. I knew I wouldn't wear it and I felt awkward telling my grandmother that since she was giving me such a wonderful gift. She said, "I really wouldn't mind if you wanted to 'remodel' it, I understand that styles change." I was both relieved and excited and my plans started taking shape!

Okay, see "Before" photos below...then scroll down for "After" photos....

NannyRing.jpg

NannysRing2.jpg

I took the ring to my local B&M, where they are just as much a jewelry art gallery as they are a jewelry store. There is a team of 5 artists there and I commissioned one to make me a bar pin, incorporating the 7 larger diamonds from the middle section of this ring. I also had 5 loose oval blue topazes from a yellow gold 1980s bracelet that my aunt had given me as a gift years ago.

I suggested that they make me a bar pin since I really don't own a fine jewelry brooch. I've also acquired so many rings and pendants so I thought it was time to try a different jewelry form.

I got a phone call that the artist had several drawings from me to choose from and one clearly stood out to me. Here are the amazing results, I couldn't be more thrilled with how it turned out!!!!

Stats: 2.97 ctw blue topazes, .60 ctw diamonds, 14kt white gold bezels, sterling silver custom made filigree bar pin.

A complete recycling project! Oh, and I received a great big store credit for the hefty yellow gold setting that I turned in.

(Please excuse the photos - I assure you there are no marks on the silver, it's just the flash from my less than wonderful camera).

BarPin1.jpg

BarPin2.jpg

For the curious:

Project 2 will be one-bezel set diamond in an anklet (the brooch project only used 6 of the 7 larger diamonds, so the "odd man out" will become an anklet)

Project 3 will probably be a platinum/diamond eternity band for our 10 year anniversary (in 3 years). I'm hoping to upgrade my ering then too, so this can be a project overhaul. :Up_to_something:

Ooh, very pretty. The pin looks so much better than that ring. What does grandma think of the change?

My grandma hasn't seen it yet. I'm sending the photos on to her today. She asked me last week when it would be ready so I know she's excited to see it. :naughty:

Tanzi - That pin is stunning! I'm sure your grandmother will be thrilled with the end result!

That turned out beautifully! I love the blend of vintage and modern in your pin, and am looking forward to seeing your other projects. Have you posted a link to this thread over in Colored Stones?

Aoife, Thank you! I totally wanted a mix of vintage and modern and I'm thrilled that you can see that in the finished product. One of the jewelers said the pin reminded her of me. All of my clothes are kind of a vintage/modern mix. And thank you for the suggestion to post in CS. I went ahead and did so.

Dragonfly441 - thank you! Much better than the original, isn't it?! :naughty:

What a beautiful pin. It's nice to have something that truly reflects your personal style. As well, you'll fondly think of your grandmother everytime you wear this piece. If anyone close to you is getting married it would be a beautiful "something old, something new, something borrowed something blue. :naughty: I also like the idea of the ankle bracelet and can't wait to see those pictures as well. Again, BEAUTIFUL!

Farleysmom|1301528579|2883826 said:
What a beautiful pin. It's nice to have something that truly reflects your personal style. As well, you'll fondly think of your grandmother everytime you wear this piece. If anyone close to you is getting married it would be a beautiful "something old, something new, something borrowed something blue. :naughty: I also like the idea of the ankle bracelet and can't wait to see those pictures as well. Again, BEAUTIFUL!

That is a great idea!

It is beautiful. I really love it!

Oh wow! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Would have never thought about a pin but I love it! Your grandmother must be so pleased to see such thought put into the remakes.

Your ideas are grand - can't wait to see the rest!

Tanzigrrl, it's a gorgeous pin :love: :love: ! I think it's a great idea to re-set those stones and so cool of your grandmother to be enthusiastic about it. I can't wait to see the next projects!

Oh mama, that's a beautiful pin! Let's see it on you.

Wow!!! That is an amazing piece of jewelry. I love it! :appl:

hearts-arrows girl - thank you! Kind of unexpected, isn't it?

iota - thanks - photo attached, as requested!

baby nurse - I absolutely love to remodel jewelry. I wouldn't to it with a special antique but certain pieces really lend themselves to "revisions." I just wish I had a before photo of the unappealing blue topaz bracelet.

miss got rocks - I think a pin was just about the only piece of jewelry I didn't have. I had maybe 2 costume jewelry pins but nothing "fine"

Andelain, iugurl, rhbgirl24 - Thanks! It's so fun to have a new/remade piece of jewelry. I'm sure you can relate. :naughty:

Farleysmom - I do have a friend getting married in August - nice idea. I bet she'd love to borrow it!

BarPinOn.jpg

Ohhh I like that :bigsmile:

What a lovely, charming way to rehabilitate your grandmother's ring ::) I love that it's unusual, too - a fine brooch or pin is on my 'one day wants' list!

Can't wait to see your other pieces!! I wonder if your grandmother would be willing to model them with you when they're done - that would be such a special photo to have :))

Yssie - that would be a great photo. Hard to manage though. I live on the far east coast and she's all the way out west! Maybe at the next holiday, though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results