shape
carat
color
clarity

The funniest/rudest/awkwardest/most memorable comment someone has made about your jewelry?

I just had one happen today (which actually got me kind of annoyed) so I'm going to rant about it here!

I was wearing a ring of mine which is like a wide diamond cigar band, around 10mm wide so it's kind of flashy. I got a couple of compliments on it (always nice) and then this woman who I dislike but is part of my social circle goes "oh I can't help but notice your ring, can I see it?" so I was like, sure, and I extended my hand towards her. She takes a look at it, makes a face, and then goes "oh, yes, no wonder I couldn't help but notice it. It's... a ring, but not my thing." I was super tempted to say something like "ooooh good thing it's mine and not yours" but her partner was giving me begging eyes to let it go so I did. Luckily I only end up meeting her a couple times a year max since she's cut her partner off from all of his old friends, of which I am one lol.

I just had one happen today (which actually got me kind of annoyed) so I'm going to rant about it here!

I was wearing a ring of mine which is like a wide diamond cigar band, around 10mm wide so it's kind of flashy. I got a couple of compliments on it (always nice) and then this woman who I dislike but is part of my social circle goes "oh I can't help but notice your ring, can I see it?" so I was like, sure, and I extended my hand towards her. She takes a look at it, makes a face, and then goes "oh, yes, no wonder I couldn't help but notice it. It's... a ring, but not my thing." I was super tempted to say something like "ooooh good thing it's mine and not yours" but her partner was giving me begging eyes to let it go so I did. Luckily I only end up meeting her a couple times a year max since she's cut her partner off from all of his old friends, of which I am one lol.

This sounds like jealousy in its purest form.

@caf, You mom probably saw you wearing your earrings and after seeing them on you a few times realized she was really missing out! Wearing pretty things make many woman just feel good. What would could possibly be wrong with feeling good?

Exactly. Bling makes us feel good. Thanks @Calliecake !

This sounds like jealousy in its purest form.

Maybe, though she crusades against diamonds (even labs) so maybe the sight of bling offends her, idk. She once got up in my face because of my clothes at a wedding - not even her wedding - saying something like "uh, you wore that? You do realise it's not your wedding, right? I guess when I get married I'll have to dress you" :roll2: though my outfit was completely 100% appropriate for the occasion, seeing as I attend like, 20 weddings a year, and I know how to dress myself.

Though yeah, maybe it's jealousy. Or just this pathological feeling that her way is the only true right way. Or maybe she just doesn't like me :lol:

Maybe, though she crusades against diamonds (even labs) so maybe the sight of bling offends her, idk. She once got up in my face because of my clothes at a wedding - not even her wedding - saying something like "uh, you wore that? You do realise it's not your wedding, right? I guess when I get married I'll have to dress you" :roll2: though my outfit was completely 100% appropriate for the occasion, seeing as I attend like, 20 weddings a year, and I know how to dress myself.

Though yeah, maybe it's jealousy. Or just this pathological feeling that her way is the only true right way. Or maybe she just doesn't like me :lol:

Yeah, regardless of what she happens to think about anything, that's extremely rude. It sounds like she's clearly taking swipes at you, so jealousy is what came to my mind. Like she is threatened by her husband having females in his circle of friends and wanted to either run you off or at least take digs at you to try to dominate and feel elevated.

I had a male relative-by-marriage whose new girlfriend did this sort of thing and we just backed off from both of them. We felt like it was his job to handle his guest, but he'd just sit there while she said nasty things. I wasn't the one who invited her into my life so I didn't feel like I should I have to deal with her rudeness or his passive agreement with it.

Last edited:
Yeah, regardless of what she happens to think about anything, that's extremely rude. It sounds like she's clearly taking swipes at you, so jealousy is what came to my mind. Like she is threatened by her husband having females in his circle of friends and wanted to either run you off or at least take digs at you to try to dominate and feel elevated.

I had a male relative-by-marriage whose new girlfriend did this sort of thing and we just backed off from both of them. We felt like it was his job to handle his guest, but he'd just sit there while she said nasty things. I wasn't the one who invited her into my life so I didn't feel like I should I have to deal with her rudeness or his passive agreement with it.

Well, I won't abandon my friendship entirely, but yeah it seems wiser to not engage. I don't want to lose him as a friend, and I know his foremost loyalty is obviously to his partner. She's managed to significantly (negatively) impact our closeness already, but I don't want to cut ties entirely. Just one of those things, I guess...

Sorry for the digression, everyone, we can go back to our regularly scheduled programming :)

Many years ago, I attended the unveiling of my friend's mom's headstone. I was speaking to the aunt of my friend, when she complimented me on my diamond stud earrings and gold earring jackets. I thought I had made a new sparkle friend, and said, "thank you! They were gifts for college graduation. I've since found a fun pair of silver jackets too...." Her response was a sneer and "oh...I don't wear SILVER!"

I had no idea what to say about that, but later filled my friend in. Before I'd even finished the story, my friend asked, "Did Karen tell you that HER diamonds are bigger and better?"

I still laugh thinking about that. The lady who had passed, this woman's sister, was lovely, and would never have said such a thing to anyone

When I had my 3 ct ring, people used to grab my hand and gush over it "OMG, let me see that!"
Just the other day I bought a cushion cut and brought it in to work to show a good friend (she lives vicariously through me, lol). I was showing her the fluorescence and she smiled and said "look at you Boujie stone friend, I will have to start spending my hubby's money now". I don't mind her comment as we are good friends and we say the rudest things to each other as we're so close and I know she's just messing with me, lol.

When I had my 3 ct ring, people used to grab my hand and gush over it "OMG, let me see that!"
Just the other day I bought a cushion cut and brought it in to work to show a good friend (she lives vicariously through me, lol). I was showing her the fluorescence and she smiled and said "look at you Boujie stone friend, I will have to start spending my hubby's money now". I don't mind her comment as we are good friends and we say the rudest things to each other as we're so close and I know she's just messing with me, lol.

Is Boujie stone like basic? LOL

gotta feel sorry for that husband

Many years ago, I attended the unveiling of my friend's mom's headstone. I was speaking to the aunt of my friend, when she complimented me on my diamond stud earrings and gold earring jackets. I thought I had made a new sparkle friend, and said, "thank you! They were gifts for college graduation. I've since found a fun pair of silver jackets too...." Her response was a sneer and "oh...I don't wear SILVER!"

I had no idea what to say about that, but later filled my friend in. Before I'd even finished the story, my friend asked, "Did Karen tell you that HER diamonds are bigger and better?"

I still laugh thinking about that. The lady who had passed, this woman's sister, was lovely, and would never have said such a thing to anyone

honesty why does the world have such bit*hy people in it:x2
it just ruins our day sometimes

BTW i love silver , and not just because its a lot more pocket friendly right now

BTW i love silver , and not just because its a lot more pocket friendly right now

excellent. You love silver AND got brass in pocket!

Is Boujie stone like basic? LOL

When I was young, "bougie" was short for "bourgeois" and meant "expensive, pretentious, middle-brow, neither hip nor elegant." Nobody wanted to be considered bourgeois. The meaning seems to have shifted--now it seems to mean "fancy, expensive, elegant," without the earlier pejorative connotations.

When I was young, "bougie" was short for "bourgeois" and meant "expensive, pretentious, middle-brow, neither hip nor elegant." Nobody wanted to be considered bourgeois. The meaning seems to have shifted--now it seems to mean "fancy, expensive, elegant," without the earlier pejorative connotations.

That’s how I always heard it in the past. These days, I hear it in self-aware, self-deprecating humor, too. Somebody will do or buy something that is outside their normal lifestyle and joke about that one thing being “bougie.” So not always an insult.

HA! I’ve said or thought this so many times since it became a slang term. These youngsters think it’s a compliment but many of us “oldies” remember it is certainly not!

HA! I’ve said or thought this so many times since it became a slang term. These youngsters think it’s a compliment but many of us “oldies” remember it is certainly not!
I would certainly not consider it a compliment amongst the younger crowd either! Definitely comes with some underhanded “pretentious, pompous, deep pocketed” attitudes.

I would certainly not consider it a compliment amongst the younger crowd either! Definitely comes with some underhanded “pretentious, pompous, deep pocketed” attitudes.

Yes. I hear the term thrown around haphazardly and shake my head because even between them it seems to be snide, or a way to give a backhanded compliment.

I live in a Big 10 college town, and I first heard kids (kids! They’re 18-21! What is wrong with me) saying “bourgeoisie” (pronounced “boo-ghee”) years and years ago. Like back in 2010-2011. I kind of laughed to myself because I thought they just made up this word and had no idea where it came from nor really what it meant. Sheesh! I was right.

But you know, at the end of the day, let the kids have their words, their fun, their lexicon. Every generation has those identifying words and I can’t help but want to try to keep up. My daughter is 12 and just now getting really into being a cool girl, so everything she does and says is influenced 90% by social media, 8% by her friends, and mayyyybe 2% by me (that is a huge self-indulgent stretch).

Two years ago, while visiting my husband’s parents in France, I came down with strep throat and had to go to urgent care. During the visit, one of the male doctors noticed my 1.5ct engagement ring and asked what my husband and I did for a living. He then rolled his eyes and muttered something in French that I’m certain was offensive.
I was very unhappy with how I was treated in that emergency room for many reasons…plus those comments left me feeling extremely uncomfortable

Yeah, manners aren’t her thing either.

Two years ago, while visiting my husband’s parents in France, I came down with strep throat and had to go to urgent care. During the visit, one of the male doctors noticed my 1.5ct engagement ring and asked what my husband and I did for a living. He then rolled his eyes and muttered something in French that I’m certain was offensive.
I was very unhappy with how I was treated in that emergency room for many reasons…plus those comments left me feeling extremely uncomfortable

So unprofessional of him.

About seven years ago, I was visiting my in-laws and we decided to go to a large outlet mall in Tennessee. I went into a jewelry store outlet for one of the usual Mall chains. The store was empty of clients. My ring looking dull, so I asked if they had a jewelry cleaner. The clerk said they did, and then looked at my platinum ring and sniffed, "oh, but we can't do silver".

I learned over time (from my friend) that this woman always had either a direct insult or a backhanded compliment to offer, IMO, that's a sad way to live.

I had a real thing for watches, like ALOT of watches. I have downsized considerable since.
Anyhow at the height of my collecting days, a co worker from another department commented that every time she saw me I had a different watch on!
“You must have what, like a dozen” she said with an incredulous look on her face.
“No, not that many” I replied, her look softened, “I currently have 92”.
Smile, exit stage left.

About seven years ago, I was visiting my in-laws and we decided to go to a large outlet mall in Tennessee. I went into a jewelry store outlet for one of the usual Mall chains. The store was empty of clients. My ring looking dull, so I asked if they had a jewelry cleaner. The clerk said they did, and then looked at my platinum ring and sniffed, "oh, but we can't do silver".

:doh::doh::doh:

You should have said, "That's not silver.
I couldn't afford silver.
This is aluminum." :knockout:

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP