shape
carat
color
clarity

The tale of the Unicorn Ruby: Now what do I do with it???

Dr_Diesel

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely Ruby! :love:

Did the first cutter know you absolutely despised the huge culet /flat cut look, and required it be gone?
I just asked for evaluation to see if it could be “improved.” He gave me the aforementioned brief reply, and when I asked for details, he gave me a tracking number. He took it upon himself to proceed without much communication or explicit approval. It seems like he cut it that very same day - and I get the impression there was not much thought behind it. I refer to this behavior as “arrogant” because Ruby is very expensive material. Taking it below the 1.5ct mark is a big deal, and doing so carelessly is reprehensible IMO.

(I think it looks like an intentional window, not an unintentional one. Not A pristine portrait cut tho)
The first photo was the original native cut. I would have been okay if it were just flattened into an intentionally large open culet and the surrounding facets improved (the way Jean-Noel at Top Notch Faceting does it), but the cutting was complete before that could even be articulated. I was not allowed the opportunity to give any input before the cutter put it to the wheel.

The window on the recut (top right) is not visible in the photo.
Did the second cutter use a diamond facet pattern for the ‘precision cut round’?
Something like that, but the angles were supposedly set up for corundum
I do see where the disappointment was, for sure. Do you think greater communication from the cutter(s) would have prevented it - or is that there the arrogance comes in? ‘Better’ being subjective?

On your sidestones,
I used to say no way for OEC sides on a decidedly modern cut colored stone.
Until I paired them.
IMG_6749.jpeg
That’s insanely beautiful!!!!! May I ask who made that?

I am smitten with the way you mounted the center stone! Here’s a quick mock-up of your design as a 3-stone (below)
Now I think it depends on the all over look between the stones and the specific setting style.
Point taken :kiss2: IMG_0091.jpeg

Last edited:

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Such an amazing story! And an even more stunning ruby:kiss2: It is indeed a mystical object!
These two inspos popped into my mind as soon as I saw your three-stone arrangement, and then I saw they are posted already! We love these!!

I love that Gary Roe ring especially and want to own one someday if I were to obtain a great ruby. I own a brooch from him and can also attest that he does amazing work that often has a natural/mystical theme.
Gorgeous stone transformation!!!

I envision a high karat, hand carved beauty like this one from Gary Roe… these are screen shots so not super clear!

IMG_0659.jpeg
And I've admired @Rfisher's sapphire old cut cluster for a long time now! Imo that's a great way to accentuate the cut and color of the center cs!
IMG_6749.jpeg

Now I think it depends on the all over look between the stones and the specific setting style.

Last edited:

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
I saw this stone in person when it was 1.03ct, and while the material was amazing the cut indeed left a lot to be desired. While I'm not one to mind imperfectly cut stones as most of mine are native cut and a bit wonky themselves, the extinction at this center was quite noticeable and didn't do the material justice at all. It was strange that a precision cut with apparently proper angles could end up like that.

However this came out soooooo pretty!! I don't care if this is below the 1 carat mark, if the performance is 100 times better! Personally I'd much rather have a smaller and better stone than a bigger and poorly performing one. And 6.2mm is a very respectable size!:kiss2:

If it were me I'd set it in a flower/floral type setting with a halo of diamonds! Screenshot_20240627_233422_Instagram.jpg

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
I also think Cheyenne Weill could do something stunning with this gem.

I saw this stone in person when it was 1.03ct, and while the material was amazing the cut indeed left a lot to be desired. While I'm not one to mind imperfectly cut stones as most of mine are native cut and a bit wonky themselves, the extinction at this center was quite noticeable and didn't do the material justice at all. It was strange that a precision cut with apparently proper angles could end up like that.

However this came out soooooo pretty!! I don't care if this is below the 1 carat mark, if the performance is 100 times better! Personally I'd much rather have a smaller and better stone than a bigger and poorly performing one. And 6.2mm is a very respectable size!:kiss2:

If it were me I'd set it in a flower/floral type setting with a halo of diamonds! Screenshot_20240627_233422_Instagram.jpg

What an amazing upgrade! But I can't believe it was so hard to get there.

I purchased a small Jedi spinel from @CBianco and keep going back and forth between floral in a white metal and high karat yellow gold from Cheyenne, so I'm no help at all! The Gary Roe ring above is stunning too. So many beautiful choices! I think one of the first steps might be choosing your metal color, because a lot of the Victorian-ish settings posted would really shine in yellow gold and you may a prefer white metal.

Welp, this is a MAJOR lesson in the importance of cut quality. And I am often guilty of treating cut as a distant 3rd behind color and clarity. But this looks like a completely different stone, color-wise! She truly is a unicorn too!! It's obvious she's not a sapphire or spinel or tourmaline or any other pinkish-purplish-reddish stone. She's clearly a "fuchsia" ruby. lol Amazing. She's absolutely radiant. Medium tone and vivid saturation, with the added bonus of strong fluorescence? A magical recipe. Kudos!!

As far as design, I usually don't care for side stones being too large in comparison to the center stone of a trinity ring. But... is it working for anyone else here? I'm actually loving it.

I think I know the answer to this…I really want to use OMCs next to this, but I don’t think the patterning and high-crowns play well with the patterning in the ruby.

What say you? OMC or H&A?

IMG_0082.jpeg IMG_0083.jpeg

I'm a big antique cut diamond girl, but the brilliants are the clear winners with this stone for me. I don't even think it's a contest!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa!!! Is that a twin????

I do believe they are long lost twins. Mine is 6.6mm and is from the gem haul. The first one I set (other than Truth). I found a pre loved setting from Ivy & Rose that I liked. My Barbie isn’t as beautifully cut as yours and is a bit silky.
However the fluorescence is fabulous.
IMG_0021.jpeg IMG_0023.jpeg IMG_9779.jpeg IMG_9780.jpeg

Dr_Diesel

Brilliant_Rock
I do believe they are long lost twins. Mine is 6.6mm and is from the gem haul. The first one I set (other than Truth). I found a pre loved setting from Ivy & Rose that I liked. My Barbie isn’t as beautifully cut as yours and is a bit silky.
However the fluorescence is fabulous.
IMG_0021.jpeg IMG_0023.jpeg IMG_9779.jpeg IMG_9780.jpeg

The likeness is staggering!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welp, this is a MAJOR lesson in the importance of cut quality. And I am often guilty of treating cut as a distant 3rd behind color and clarity. But this looks like a completely different stone, color-wise! She truly is a unicorn too!! It's obvious she's not a sapphire or spinel or tourmaline or any other pinkish-purplish-reddish stone. She's clearly a "fuchsia" ruby. lol Amazing. She's absolutely radiant. Medium tone and vivid saturation, with the added bonus of strong fluorescence? A magical recipe. Kudos!!

As far as design, I usually don't care for side stones being too large in comparison to the center stone of a trinity ring. But... is it working for anyone else here? I'm actually loving it.

The end product is obviously amazing here, but if the other forms it took along the way I liked the original wonky cut most of all! :cool2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
So glad you have a happy ending to this story. Beautiful ruby!

I think I know the answer to this…I really want to use OMCs next to this, but I don’t think the patterning and high-crowns play well with the patterning in the ruby.

What say you? OMC or H&A?

IMG_0082.jpeg IMG_0083.jpeg

These stones in a 3 stone ring would be perfect. You just need to decide on the gallery view, setting options, and ring width.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Wow, sweet color.

I would have thought the MRBs would go better but given the ruby material, the OECs fit in well with their chunkier flashes of light.

Looks like you are going for more classic styles… I was going to suggest neon side stones and black gold but am guessing that’s not your jam. :lol:

jenzgemz

Rough_Rock
What an incredibly gorgeous stone! Love the idea of the petal style halo, my brain gets artistic and thinks of a how to add a little color with a smidge of tsavorite melee somehow. And then in wildly the opposite direction, first thought was how amazing it would be to frame it up in a yellow gold semi bezel bypass ring with pear side stones. Had a hard time finding exact photos but these are close. Two very different ideas! IMG_7624.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7626.jpeg
    IMG_7626.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7625.jpeg
    IMG_7625.jpeg
    861.8 KB · Views: 1

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Best thing I've read today, congratulations for your persistance, it really paid off!

The stone is a cool colour, I believe it works better in white metal (at least around the stone) despite my preference for gold when it comes to rubies.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would like to be able to see this gem from all angles so I could appreciate the color. So I would want to be able to see more of the pavilion. A 6 prong mounting would be my preference, or 8, but not an enclosed "faux bezel" as then you could only appreciate the color face up and not from the side at all!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
What a great tale of perseverance and ultimate success! I have a Burma pink sapphire that I designed a different type of setting because I wanted to have all of the emphasis on the sapphire. It’s a pendant but could easily be a ring. 100729.jpeg

Dr_Diesel

Brilliant_Rock
Best thing I've read today, congratulations for your persistance, it really paid off!

Thank you :kiss2:
The stone is a cool colour, I believe it works better in white metal (at least around the stone) despite my preference for gold when it comes to rubies.

I agree with you on all counts. I currently have a similar color ruby mounted in 18 K yellow gold and it’s nice… But sometimes I wonder if it would look better in white metal because of the cool color.

For true royal red or pigeon blood color, I agree 100% with the choice of Yellow Gold.

Here are 2 examples. YG was a no-brainer for the second one (royal red spinel).

The first one is also good (Burmese Pinkish Red Ruby - very similar to the fuchsia), but I think it could have gone either way on the metal color. One major upshot of YG is that the diamonds pop more. Sometimes, especially with smaller side stones like in this example, they can kind of “disappear” in the polished white metal.

IMG_3072.jpeg
IMG_3244.jpeg
IMG_2766.jpeg
IMG_2794.jpeg IMG_2832.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr_Diesel

Brilliant_Rock
I would like to be able to see this gem from all angles so I could appreciate the color. So I would want to be able to see more of the pavilion. A 6 prong mounting would be my preference, or 8, but not an enclosed "faux bezel" as then you could only appreciate the color face up and not from the side at all!

Yet another good reason to go with option #3. Thank you for the insight!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results