shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Victoria Diamond Variation

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I have bought this beautiful Tiffany Victoria band but one of the petals on the Victoria design is slightly yellower than the rest. It is not visible unless you have eyes like me (eagle ones) or inspecting it very closely in the sunlight for some time before you are able to see it. The diamonds should all be colorless but this does not feel like it is an F color (more like an H). I know there can be slight variation in colors but this one stand out the most with its yellowness. Again, it is not at all visible when worn as it blends in. Given the price tag, is this still in an acceptable range of a "miss-match"? I purposely chose pictures where you can see it most (it is not this visible in real life).IMG_0382.jpgIMG_0388.JPG

It sounds like you aren't 100% thrilled with it and it's expensive enough that you should be. Did you buy it from a boutique or secondhand?

If new, ask Tiffany to fix it!

If new, ask Tiffany to fix it!

It sounds like you aren't 100% thrilled with it and it's expensive enough that you should be. Did you buy it from a boutique or secondhand?

Unfortunately, it is not new (secondhand). It is preowned so there is also a price difference, which makes me hesitant to return it but at the same time I feel like this should not happen. 99% of people would never notice and I am sure the original owner did not either.

Last edited:
I have a much smaller Victoria ring also purchased secondhand but I pulled it out to look more carefully. Unfortunately the two marquise diamonds are far away from each other so I can't get them to look the same in a photo even though they look the same to my eyes (which may not actually be picky enough to notice a difference....)

This is the model I have:

1725763188015.png

Dumb question, but is your ring 100% clean?

I have a much smaller Victoria ring also purchased secondhand but I pulled it out to look more carefully. Unfortunately the two marquise diamonds are far away from each other so I can't get them to look the same in a photo even though they look the same to my eyes (which may not actually be picky enough to notice a difference....)

This is the model I have:

1725763188015.png

Dumb question, but is your ring 100% clean?

Not a dumb question at all. Yes, my ring is very clean and very white. Mine has 9 Victoria flowers, so 36 petals (marquise diamonds) and just that one is on a yellow side. Yours is also set in yellow or rose gold, which might make it harder to notice any color discrepancies.

I bet Tiffany would replace it for you for a fee.

I suppose it passed their inspection upon completion - whenever that was. Just wondering if that diamond was replaced somewhere along the line because it was lost? Probably not but could be one reason for the color discrepancy. Call Tiffany's customer service and ask them about replacing the diamond if it will make owning the band more appealing to you. I am viewing this on a desktop computer and see the difference in the first pic, but not so much in the second. I know you have a very discerning eye, so you have to be able to live with it and enjoy it. If not, return it.

I suppose it passed their inspection upon completion - whenever that was. Just wondering if that diamond was replaced somewhere along the line because it was lost? Probably not but could be one reason for the color discrepancy. Call Tiffany's customer service and ask them about replacing the diamond if it will make owning the band more appealing to you. I am viewing this on a desktop computer and see the difference in the first pic, but not so much in the second. I know you have a very discerning eye, so you have to be able to live with it and enjoy it. If not, return it.

Good points. I will give them a call. Knowing Tiffany, they will either charge an arm and a leg or won't be able to see it in order to fix it. I had a very hard time finding it yesterday - it is not that visible, just my eyes see everything. :lol:

Good points. I will give them a call. Knowing Tiffany, they will either charge an arm and a leg or won't be able to see it in order to fix it. I had a very hard time finding it yesterday - it is not that visible, just my eyes see everything. :lol:

I get it - I see the flaws before I see the beauty - a true curse. I guess only you will know if it is something you can live with or if it will take all the joy from it. Keep us posted - it is a beautiful ring!

Perfectionism is the joy killer. Another option is to focus on the good parts and enjoy it. I’m not sure how easy these are to find in the secondary market and how much of a deal you got, but those factors might outweigh this small issue.

Perfectionism is the joy killer. Another option is to focus on the good parts and enjoy it. I’m not sure how easy these are to find in the secondary market and how much of a deal you got, but those factors might outweigh this small issue.

There are a few around some but getting an eternity band in your size isn't always super easy, as you know! Smaller price point, but I recently purchased a French cut eternity band that I'm hanging onto despite some tiny gaps because it's hard to find what I want on the secondary market in my size.

This is the least expensive one I found on a quick search, if 6.5 is a useful size for you @daisygrl, though I'm sure you saw this already if you were looking: https://www.ebay.com/itm/276611346360?chn=ps

HI:

Looks like cut more than color (or at least to my eyes). Stunning ring tho....

cheers--Sharon

Spot on! I I have considered all these factors, that is why I came here to ask experts. The current retail price is $27,900, which is comical given the 2.34ctw. I got it for $10,000 from a very reputable seller. Not negligible but still cheaper than a current secondhand market. Not sure if I can buy it for the similar price again later, same size and there might be something else wrong with it as well. Which is why I am here, hesitant to return but also keep. Lol.

HI:

Looks like cut more than color (or at least to my eyes). Stunning ring tho....

cheers--Sharon

I considered the cut to be an issue as well but I believe it is the color. I rechecked it and compared to my other stones and it appears to be an H color - of course that is just a guess of my eagle eye since the stone is mounted.

Spot on! I I have considered all these factors, that is why I came here to ask experts. The current retail price is $27,900, which is comical given the 2.34ctw. I got it for $10,000 from a very reputable seller. Not negligible but still cheaper than a current secondhand market. Not sure if I can buy it for the similar price again later, same size and there might be something else wrong with it as well. Which is why I am here, hesitant to return but also keep. Lol.

Wowza! That is a comically high price! But that’s branded stuff for you. Obviously part of the benefit here is the branding.

You can always wear it with the offending stone on the bottom. Out of sight out of mind lol

I will be curious to see what Tiffany says. Also you might ask a trusted jewler to help. It seems a fairly easy thing to replace and the cost should not be much relative to the investment. If you can’t bear to part with it for a return.

There are a few around some but getting an eternity band in your size isn't always super easy, as you know! Smaller price point, but I recently purchased a French cut eternity band that I'm hanging onto despite some tiny gaps because it's hard to find what I want on the secondary market in my size.

This is the least expensive one I found on a quick search, if 6.5 is a useful size for you @daisygrl, though I'm sure you saw this already if you were looking: https://www.ebay.com/itm/276611346360?chn=ps

Thank you for the effort of looking up the options but the price is too high for me to pay and a wrong size. I checked all the available resources to make sure I was getting a fair price.

Last edited:
Wowza! That is a comically high price! But that’s branded stuff for you. Obviously part of the benefit here is the branding.

You can always wear it with the offending stone on the bottom. Out of sight out of mind lol

I will be curious to see what Tiffany says. Also you might ask a trusted jewler to help. It seems a fairly easy thing to replace and the cost should not be much relative to the investment. If you can’t bear to part with it for a return.

I called Tiffany and, as expected, they said "it is probably just dirty." :roll: I will go in person to ask but given my after-sale experience with Tiffany, they will defend the brand and all its "flawlessness" that goes with it. It is not that visible so, unless they have eyes like mine, they might not even see it.

The problem is, the ring needs to have the tags on in order to be eligible for a return and I don't want to bring it to Tiffany with a resale tag. I need to decided whether I want it the way it is now with a possible repair later.

I think for $10k it's a steal given the pricing I've seen of them around and it's your actual size so that's great. But obviously it's still a lot of money to not be 100% happy with it.

Like @Dreamer_D said, I would just keep that stone at the bottom and figure it was worth the $4k+ in savings for another secondhand that may not be any better and the almost $20k savings from new to have the one stone not be perfect -- but that's just me!

HI:

10K wow good deal!!!! Still one needs to be happy, despite the deal, 10K is 10K.

cheers--Sharon

I magnified your photos and my uneducated eye says it's the cut. It's the same color but it sends back less white light. The runt of the litter.
(I'm certain I'll be proven wrong.)

I think for $10k it's a steal given the pricing I've seen of them around and it's your actual size so that's great. But obviously it's still a lot of money to not be 100% happy with it.

Like @Dreamer_D said, I would just keep that stone at the bottom and figure it was worth the $4k+ in savings for another secondhand that may not be any better and the almost $20k savings from new to have the one stone not be perfect -- but that's just me!

HI:

10K wow good deal!!!! Still one needs to be happy, despite the deal, 10K is 10K.

cheers--Sharon

Guys, I really like your "girl's math." My husband is not as "mathematic" and usually rolls his eyes when I tell him about "jewelry deals." :lol: I did not know much about this ring but when I saw the price it felt right! I need to take it outside and see what it looks like in a natural light. We have horrible heats right now that should pass soon so I will examine it then. It is really hard to notice.

I magnified your photos and my uneducated eye says it's the cut. It's the same color but it sends back less white light. The runt of the litter.
(I'm certain I'll be proven wrong.)

It might be both but it does show a tint when looking at it from the side. Almost like they tried to sneak in an H to see if they can get away with it. Lol. The marquise stones on rings are not as well cut as their Victoria earrings.

Okay, maybe it's my eyes, or my monitor, but the color doesn't look different to me. However, the stone does look less bright.

I have bought this beautiful Tiffany Victoria band but one of the petals on the Victoria design is slightly yellower than the rest. It is not visible unless you have eyes like me (eagle ones) or inspecting it very closely in the sunlight for some time before you are able to see it. The diamonds should all be colorless but this does not feel like it is an F color (more like an H). I know there can be slight variation in colors but this one stand out the most with its yellowness. Again, it is not at all visible when worn as it blends in. Given the price tag, is this still in an acceptable range of a "miss-match"? I purposely chose pictures where you can see it most (it is not this visible in real life).

Look with a loupe. I have an antique ring with one darker stone. It is teeny but I was able to loupe it and see that it is chipped.

I decided to keep the darker stone in my ring because it was my grandmother’s. I’m choosing to look at the darker one like a beauty mark. But it’s much smaller than your marquise. You know, sort of on a gut level, if it’s going to bother you. If it is, run by Tiffany and see if they can swap it.

Would you consider getting the stone replaced by a local bench rather than at Tiffany’s? Sadly for these things, I think once we see them, it’s hard to un-see…

I bought a pave Cartier ring second-hand and it had a chipped stone which caused the one stone to go dark. Instead of taking it to Cartier, I asked my jeweller to replace it with a DEF melee and it looks great PLUS I like how it cost less than $50 to replace!

Would you consider getting the stone replaced by a local bench rather than at Tiffany’s? Sadly for these things, I think once we see them, it’s hard to un-see…

I bought a pave Cartier ring second-hand and it had a chipped stone which caused the one stone to go dark. Instead of taking it to Cartier, I asked my jeweller to replace it with a DEF melee and it looks great PLUS I like how it cost less than $50 to replace!

I was actually thinking about doing so today. So I went to ask my jeweler and he refused to touch the ring explaining that one prong holds two diamonds and it would be very hard to replace it (paraphrasing jeweler). I will ask elsewhere. This as this is my first time buying a second hand jewelry so I am not sure if what he said is true.
And I honestly do not even trust Tiffany and their after-services (my personal experience).

I cleaned the stone as much as I could while keeping the tags on (in case of a return) and examined it with a loupe per @Tonks suggestion: no dirt and no chips. The jeweler said it is a combination of both: cut and color.

It did produce some fire. It is trying hard not to be replaced. :lol:

IMG_0401.JPGIMG_0397.jpg

I was actually thinking about doing so today. So I went to ask my jeweler and he refused to touch the ring explaining that one prong holds two diamonds and it would be very hard to replace it (paraphrasing jeweler). I will ask elsewhere. This as this is my first time buying a second hand jewelry so I am not sure if what he said is true.
And I honestly do not even trust Tiffany and their after-services (my personal experience).

I cleaned the stone as much as I could while keeping the tags on (in case of a return) and examined it with a loupe per @Tonks suggestion: no dirt and no chips. The jeweler said it is a combination of both: cut and color.

It did produce some fire. It is trying hard not to be replaced. :lol:

IMG_0401.JPGIMG_0397.jpg

I would almost be inclined to leave it be at this point - unless it takes all of your joy away in wearing it. Reworking or resetting comes with risks too - KWIM?

I would almost be inclined to leave it be at this point - unless it takes all of your joy away in wearing it. Reworking or resetting comes with risks too - KWIM?

I agree with you. I am going to ask a couple more jewelers for their opinion (for a possible future repair but definitely not now). I am very much leaning towards keeping it since there are other factors to consider.

Thank you all for helping me gain some insight into my decision making. :appl:

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP