shape
carat
color
clarity

To buy or not to buy (Art Deco brooch)

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
I saw a brooch posted to Lang Antiques this morning and decided to make the trip there today to see it in person. I had never been there before but it was incredible! They have such an amazing collection, I could have easily spent the whole day there just looking at everything.

I have the brooch in question on hold now and would love the PS opinion. This would be my first antique piece and my first brooch.

1721356030976.png
1721356041221.png
1721356057965.png

Photo on my wrist for scale:
1721358188401.png

Lang says it's 9.1g mainly in platinum with a 14k white gold pin and 1.6ctw of G/H/I VS/SI diamonds (0.55ctw for the three main OECs, the remaining 1.05ctw in melee). It's $2475. I know Lang won't ever be a deal, but I'm wondering what the experts think and if anyone has seen anything similar elsewhere. I really love the floral motifs, the simple outline, the negative space, and the size. I'm not sure how much I'll wear it because, again, I've never owned a brooch. It seems like it might be a reasonable candidate for a bracelet conversion worst case? And it definitely would work well on a ribbon as a choker and maybe even as a bracelet, though it might be just a little too long for that. I probably don't have enough hair to wear it as a barrette without professional help. I wear sweaters and scarves but not a lot of blazers or jackets -- though maybe that's worth changing for the right jewelry!

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would encourage you to buy a less expensive but lively piece as a starter brooch to see how you wear it before investing in an expensive piece like that.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is possibly similar to this but this one never photographs to its full potential
1721365394166.png

1721365817629.png
i would think up close it will not look like a name badge

i think that the brooch you like is beautiful @newtojewels
but i woul want to wear it a few times as a brooch before i convert it

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very beautiful and not a bad price all considered.
I did a bracelet conversion with one I bought, much more modest than that stunner.
You could get a pendant attachment added for extra versatility but it would hang vertically and maybe too big.
IMG_9483.jpeg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it and I don't think that is unreasonable for this size and quality. I love the design and the little horseshoe motif at the poles. And it's cool how they styled it in the third photo.

I also like and trust Lang and their sale is nice, too! To be there in person must be a treat -- it's been a long time for me. One kid was just briefly back in SF and half-jokingly asked if they should check in on anything for me. :lol-2:

I say go for it!

Joanne10

Shiny_Rock
I personally love it! But if you’re unsure about wearing brooches (or even this brooch), the suggestion of starting with a smaller/less expensive piece might be best.

Also… How much do you love it? Are you going to regret it if you don’t buy it or do you feel are there other similar pieces that are just as lovely? I think that’s also a factor to take into account when buying.

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is gorgeous. Heirloom quality. The thing about these pieces—they are hard to come by. It would cost you more to have it made than 2475 and it would not be an antique. I shop pawn shops and even they know what they have and price them accordingly BUT bc brooches are hard to sell—they do negotiate the price and you can score a similar one for maybe half the price if you are patient and dedicated to shopping pawn shops.

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
I would encourage you to buy a less expensive but lively piece as a starter brooch to see how you wear it before investing in an expensive piece like that.

Yes, I agree that I would ideally do that! Especially because this isn't a LT purchase that I would be able to sell for anything like I paid for it. I worry about missing out on this one in particular if I do that, though.

it is possibly similar to this but this one never photographs to its full potential
1721365394166.png

1721365817629.png
i would think up close it will not look like a name badge

i think that the brooch you like is beautiful @newtojewels
but i woul want to wear it a few times as a brooch before i convert it

It's much narrower than that one, but seems to be a similar size otherwise. I could be like royalty! And yes, I wouldn't convert it right away, just thinking of options if I get it and then don't end up wearing it as-is.

It is very beautiful and not a bad price all considered.
I did a bracelet conversion with one I bought, much more modest than that stunner.
You could get a pendant attachment added for extra versatility but it would hang vertically and maybe too big.
IMG_9483.jpeg
Stunning! I think I've seen your conversion before, Did you get it done in the US? It looks like they didn't need to bend it to make it work for you, this one I'm thinking of is 2" and my wrist is small so it would need to be curved some. I think people have recommended DK for the work?

I tried it as a vertical pendant and it was definitely too big to look right with the chain I had on. It might work with a chunkier chain and a deep V neckline, which I do actually wear, maybe I'll go back and see if they have anything I can try it with like that. I was also planning to bring some ribbon to try it as a choker and a bracelet.

I love it and I don't think that is unreasonable for this size and quality. I love the design and the little horseshoe motif at the poles. And it's cool how they styled it in the third photo.

I also like and trust Lang and their sale is nice, too! To be there in person must be a treat -- it's been a long time for me. One kid was just briefly back in SF and half-jokingly asked if they should check in on anything for me. :lol-2:

I say go for it!

If there's anything in particular you want to see, let me know! I'm obviously very happy to go back!

I do think the price seemed better than for some pieces they have, probably because brooches are harder to sell. But there's just something about this design in particular that I really like.

I personally love it! But if you’re unsure about wearing brooches (or even this brooch), the suggestion of starting with a smaller/less expensive piece might be best.

Also… How much do you love it? Are you going to regret it if you don’t buy it or do you feel are there other similar pieces that are just as lovely? I think that’s also a factor to take into account when buying.

I definitely love this brooch in particular and if I were to ever wear a brooch, this would be it. I've been living in SF for close to a year now and this was the piece that made me finally go in person to see it.

I think it is gorgeous. Heirloom quality. The thing about these pieces—they are hard to come by. It would cost you more to have it made than 2475 and it would not be an antique. I shop pawn shops and even they know what they have and price them accordingly BUT bc brooches are hard to sell—they do negotiate the price and you can score a similar one for maybe half the price if you are patient and dedicated to shopping pawn shops.

I was hoping you would weigh in because you're such a good pawn shop hunter! The problem of course is if similar is good enough -- there's something about the design of this one that I particularly love.

dvj

Shiny_Rock
I saw a brooch posted to Lang Antiques this morning and decided to make the trip there today to see it in person. I had never been there before but it was incredible! They have such an amazing collection, I could have easily spent the whole day there just looking at everything.

I have the brooch in question on hold now and would love the PS opinion. This would be my first antique piece and my first brooch.

1721356030976.png
1721356041221.png
1721356057965.png

Photo on my wrist for scale:
1721358188401.png

Lang says it's 9.1g mainly in platinum with a 14k white gold pin and 1.6ctw of G/H/I VS/SI diamonds (0.55ctw for the three main OECs, the remaining 1.05ctw in melee). It's $2475. I know Lang won't ever be a deal, but I'm wondering what the experts think and if anyone has seen anything similar elsewhere. I really love the floral motifs, the simple outline, the negative space, and the size. I'm not sure how much I'll wear it because, again, I've never owned a brooch. It seems like it might be a reasonable candidate for a bracelet conversion worst case? And it definitely would work well on a ribbon as a choker and maybe even as a bracelet, though it might be just a little too long for that. I probably don't have enough hair to wear it as a barrette without professional help. I wear sweaters and scarves but not a lot of blazers or jackets -- though maybe that's worth changing for the right jewelry!

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

I love it. And I love your style in general and how you only purchase the most beautiful pieces. If you love it too, and if you can swing it, I would. I don’t know enough about value to comment, but a brooch like that would make anything you wear look amazing.

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
I just went through all platinum antique brooches that showed up on my eBay search for under $4k, just to see. The 'good' news is that I don't have the same immediate reaction to any of these like I did for the Lang one:

Throwing the original photo back in again just to see everything close together:
1721401015414.png

My favorites from the eBay search:

2.2ctw for $2500:
1721400989980.png

3.72ctw for $2500 -- I don't like this as much for me, but just to give high ctw at the same price as the Lang one:
1721401077268.png
~3ctw for $3500 OBO:
1721401197007.png

~1.6ctw for $1760 OBO:
1721401280994.png

I also looked for ribbons and findings to make a simple ribbon choker or bracelet. I didn't find anyone on my brief Etsy search who had a plain cheap one, but I did at least find the supplies to make it myself. There's a fabric store near Lang with beautiful ribbon so I'll go there to get a yard first and then pop over to Lang to look again.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
This seems like a fair price-especially as potential bracelet conversion.

I have not done any comparison shopping, though...

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
It's so so gorgeous. @Bron357 I need one of those conversions for mine, do you have a link? If not, what should I ask for?

lala646

Ideal_Rock
I think it's gorgeous! At least from the photos, I think the ct weight reads higher than what it is, so that's a plus. And clearly the quality is excellent, as is to be expected from Lang. I looked at TRR as well, and this is of higher quality than anything they have in a similar price range. If you're at peace with the fact it may have a pretty high cost per wear ratio, I vote yes!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful, but if you really think you would make it into a bracelet or bangle and it needed to be curved to fit, make sure that can be done safely. I had one made into a bangle years ago by Grace and she wanted to see the side profile to make sure it could be curved.
Here is mine, much more modest, but you can see the side view

1721402866513.jpeg

1721402907252.jpeg

Also, if I recall correctly @Mrsz1ppy purchased a beautiful brooch thinking she'd make a bangle/bracelet but was told it couldn't be curved. You could look for her posts about it if you're interested.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Add me to the list of people who think you should start with a less expensive brooch to see how you like wearing brooches--unless you're someone for whom $2500 is not a big deal. There's a good chance it's not a good candidate for conversion to a bracelet. And conversions money too.

That is a gorgeous example of a platinum-and-diamond brooch from that era, and nobody today would make a new one for anything like that price, as is true of so many other antiques. But there are a fair number of similar brooches out there if you look patiently. I bought mine--same era, similar workmanship, different style--for well under a third of the price of that one:
(In that post you can see me wearing it on my wrist on a black velvet ribbon, a good solution if you'd like to wear a brooch as a bracelet but can't or don't want to convert it.)

However, if you can afford it easily and your heart would break without those diamond flowers, go for it.

Joanne10

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I agree that I would ideally do that! Especially because this isn't a LT purchase that I would be able to sell for anything like I paid for it. I worry about missing out on this one in particular if I do that, though.

It's much narrower than that one, but seems to be a similar size otherwise. I could be like royalty! And yes, I wouldn't convert it right away, just thinking of options if I get it and then don't end up wearing it as-is.

Stunning! I think I've seen your conversion before, Did you get it done in the US? It looks like they didn't need to bend it to make it work for you, this one I'm thinking of is 2" and my wrist is small so it would need to be curved some. I think people have recommended DK for the work?

I tried it as a vertical pendant and it was definitely too big to look right with the chain I had on. It might work with a chunkier chain and a deep V neckline, which I do actually wear, maybe I'll go back and see if they have anything I can try it with like that. I was also planning to bring some ribbon to try it as a choker and a bracelet.

If there's anything in particular you want to see, let me know! I'm obviously very happy to go back!

I do think the price seemed better than for some pieces they have, probably because brooches are harder to sell. But there's just something about this design in particular that I really like.

I definitely love this brooch in particular and if I were to ever wear a brooch, this would be it. I've been living in SF for close to a year now and this was the piece that made me finally go in person to see it.

I was hoping you would weigh in because you're such a good pawn shop hunter! The problem of course is if similar is good enough -- there's something about the design of this one that I particularly love.

@newtojewels, it sounds like you REALLY love this piece. I’ve looked on Etsy and found nothing similar. And all the nice ones were a lot more expensive. So if you’re comfortable with the price point, it sounds like you should go for it. It certainly is gorgeous and, given the vendor, I think you can be sure of its quality. Happy deciding!

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty! If your heart races when you open the link to it… it at the possibility that it might be sold…. Then you should buy it ❤️

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto @glitterata and also I agree the design is unique and lovely.

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
This seems like a fair price-especially as potential bracelet conversion.

I have not done any comparison shopping, though...

It seems like the price is fair -- certainly not a deal, but I feel like I don't often get (or need to get!) "deals", I just want fair for the quality. I've mentioned this before, but the rubellite ring in my avatar was not a deal but I do think it was fair and I love it.

It's so so gorgeous. @Bron357 I need one of those conversions for mine, do you have a link? If not, what should I ask for?

Yes, isn't it? I'm going to hunt through Bron's posts to find more about it, will let you know if I find details!
I think it's gorgeous! At least from the photos, I think the ct weight reads higher than what it is, so that's a plus. And clearly the quality is excellent, as is to be expected from Lang. I looked at TRR as well, and this is of higher quality than anything they have in a similar price range. If you're at peace with the fact it may have a pretty high cost per wear ratio, I vote yes!

Yes, I do think it's a lot of look for the ctw. It doesn't look 'skimpy' the way some lower ctw brooches can while still having enough negative space to see the design. Thank you for looking at TRR! You know I'm a fan of them too and I took a quick skim and didn't see anything -- it's nice to have the double check!

It's beautiful, but if you really think you would make it into a bracelet or bangle and it needed to be curved to fit, make sure that can be done safely. I had one made into a bangle years ago by Grace and she wanted to see the side profile to make sure it could be curved.

1721402866513.jpeg

1721402907252.jpeg

Also, if I recall correctly @Mrsz1ppy purchased a beautiful brooch thinking she'd make a bangle/bracelet but was told it couldn't be curved. You could look for her posts about it if you're interested.

Ah, good call, I'll look to see if I can find any of her posts on it. I don't remember what the side profile looks like and of course I wouldn't be able to evaluate it anyways. It seems like it would be more likely to convertible if it were just a hair shorter or if my wrist were a bit bigger....

Add me to the list of people who think you should start with a less expensive brooch to see how you like wearing brooches--unless you're someone for whom $2500 is not a big deal. There's a good chance it's not a good candidate for conversion to a bracelet. And conversions money too.

That is a gorgeous example of a platinum-and-diamond brooch from that era, and nobody today would make a new one for anything like that price, as is true of so many other antiques. But there are a fair number of similar brooches out there if you look patiently. I bought mine--same era, similar workmanship, different style--for well under a third of the price of that one:
(In that post you can see me wearing it on my wrist on a black velvet ribbon, a good solution if you'd like to wear a brooch as a bracelet but can't or don't want to convert it.)

However, if you can afford it easily and your heart would break without those diamond flowers, go for it.

$2500 isn't a huge huge deal but it also isn't nothing. There are a few other pieces that I've had my eye on that this would need to replace (one of which being a French cut band I purchased and returned when it had some undisclosed damage but am still watching....).

Thank you for the photo on a ribbon, that's very helpful! Your brooch is lovely and seems like it was a great price!

@newtojewels, it sounds like you REALLY love this piece. I’ve looked on Etsy and found nothing similar. And all the nice ones were a lot more expensive. So if you’re comfortable with the price point, it sounds like you should go for it. It certainly is gorgeous and, given the vendor, I think you can be sure of its quality. Happy deciding!

I do really extra love it. I love florals in general, love this era in jewelry, and I think it has some similarities to other pieces I've admired over the years. I feel confident in the quality, it's more the usability for me (which of course no one here can answer except me!) and a sanity check on the price being fair.

Very pretty! If your heart races when you open the link to it… it at the possibility that it might be sold…. Then you should buy it ❤️

Yes -- and it has grabbed my heart more than a lot of other pieces have. I spent a while looking at everything in the store and kept going back to this, even considering pieces up to $5k. But I wanted to at least sleep on it and make sure I wasn't getting too caught up in a feeling.

Ditto @glitterata and also I agree the design is unique and lovely.

Thank you for the advice, as always! I think of you as being my good shoulder angel -- I don't always take your advice but I do always at least consider it! :lol: And thank you for being such a great member of the community. I've said this before, but I remember seeing your posts when I was just a lurker in the late 2000's and the 2010's. I feel like I kind of grew up with you as my antique jewelry guide!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it and the design is unique. Since you wear sweaters and scarves I think you would get a lot of opportunities to style it. If you find you don’t wear it much would you want to wear it as a pendant?

peachster

Rough_Rock
I’m in love with it and the price seems right for that quality. I am also one who feels that we often buy sort of starter or test pieces rather than something special, and then move on with all those starter pieces sitting in a box. Buy quality, buy something that is a worthy investment of your passion. I never regret those types of purchases. What you love is best.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful, but do the diamonds look like a newer make in this Art Deco brooch? Is it just my eyes?
1721425005997.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the advice, as always! I think of you as being my good shoulder angel -- I don't always take your advice but I do always at least consider it! :lol:

Mostly I think it’s just me being cheap and having such a low bar for what I would/could spend on bling. I understand that people vary a lot in this though! So of course adjust my comments to your own circumstances.

And thank you for being such a great member of the community. I've said this before, but I remember seeing your posts when I was just a lurker in the late 2000's and the 2010's. I feel like I kind of grew up with you as my antique jewelry guide!

Aren’t you kind. It’s hard to believe I’ve been on PS for 17 years! The community has changed a lot in that time — social media and lab diamonds for one have really altered the landscape of how people buy jewels and interact online — but I’m enjoying taking part again. Even though a forum like this is super old fashioned given how most people engage online now, I think it has real benefits you don’t get on IG for example. Like the back archive of all those millions of posts. I love that my old posts are still being read today and maybe helping some people.

And I appreciate you sharing your bling adventures! I’ve said before that following other people’s journeys is how I tame my own appetite. I can’t possibly buy everything I would like! But I really love taking part in others’ projects.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
The large ones at least look like transitional which would put them in the 20s to late 30s which feels appropriate?

I think my eyes are going! I was squinting so hard:lol:

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock

1721402866513.jpeg

1721402907252.jpeg

This is true. Can you imagine my sad face?

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
This is true. Can you imagine my sad face?

Have you decided what to do with your stunning brooch? I think I saw that yours is 4" long and the one I'm considering is only 2" so that might make the Lang one a bit more feasible than yours if I want to convert it later....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results