shape
carat
color
clarity

To buy or not to buy (Art Deco brooch)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can totally trust Lang's period assignments whereas eBay is such a crapshoot (or worse). I would not compare a Lang "Art Deco" to an eBay "Art Deco." Lang is great about saying "Art Deco Style," etc. I have looked at a few of their things carefully and even the SAs I have dealt with were enumerating the late Deco vs early mid-century nuances and the hallmarks of hand-fabrication, etc. The flippers, in contrast, want you to be fooled.

I really love it. I hope you have reserved it. It's a lot to love for that price-point. It has a, well, sweetness that a lot of Deco lacks (vs. their pure geometry) but without being overly saccharine like some of the older stuff.

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can totally trust Lang's period assignments whereas eBay is such a crapshoot (or worse). I would not compare a Lang "Art Deco" to an eBay "Art Deco." Lang is great about saying "Art Deco Style," etc. I have looked at a few of their things carefully and even the SAs I have dealt with were enumerating the late Deco vs early mid-century nuances and the hallmarks of hand-fabrication, etc. The flippers, in contrast, want you to be fooled.

I really love it. I hope you have reserved it. It's a lot to love for that price-point. It has a, well, sweetness that a lot of Deco lacks (vs. their pure geometry) but without being overly saccharine like some of the older stuff.

I think you completely nailed what I love about it. It isn't too geometric, it isn't over-the-top feminine, but instead strikes a nice balance. And it just feels like amazing quality in person. They say it's hand fabricated and I believe them. I am the person who reserved it and I'm going to go back to see it again tomorrow. Please let me know if there's anything you want a photo of while I'm there! I'm not kidding with that offer :)

I'm going to wear my favorite sweater and bring a scarf and a ribbon and even a bobby pin to try to see how I might wear it in my life without converting it which would feel like a shame. I'm also wondering if I can use it kind of like a clasp on a string of pearls.... My strand is imperfect, small, and a champagne color so they might look the part of something original. I definitely wouldn't need this to be a daily piece but I don't want it to be a once-a-year piece either. I think I would feel good about the purchase if I wore it once a month or two, especially because I don't see myself 'outgrowing' it as I get into my 40's and up. So hopefully I'll have several decades of use to bring the price per wear down! I'm just so casual in my daily life -- working in tech means there just isn't a lot of bling around, and I think antique diamond pieces read dressier than my CS rings do. I do dress up sometimes, at least. I go to the opera and ballet plus am the age where everyone I know is getting married -- and I can even see wearing it in my hair for my own wedding!

I sure do sound like I'm going to buy it, huh? :lol:

Joanne10

Shiny_Rock
I think you completely nailed what I love about it. It isn't too geometric, it isn't over-the-top feminine, but instead strikes a nice balance. And it just feels like amazing quality in person. They say it's hand fabricated and I believe them. I am the person who reserved it and I'm going to go back to see it again tomorrow. Please let me know if there's anything you want a photo of while I'm there! I'm not kidding with that offer :)

I'm going to wear my favorite sweater and bring a scarf and a ribbon and even a bobby pin to try to see how I might wear it in my life without converting it which would feel like a shame. I'm also wondering if I can use it kind of like a clasp on a string of pearls.... My strand is imperfect, small, and a champagne color so they might look the part of something original. I definitely wouldn't need this to be a daily piece but I don't want it to be a once-a-year piece either. I think I would feel good about the purchase if I wore it once a month or two, especially because I don't see myself 'outgrowing' it as I get into my 40's and up. So hopefully I'll have several decades of use to bring the price per wear down! I'm just so casual in my daily life -- working in tech means there just isn't a lot of bling around, and I think antique diamond pieces read dressier than my CS rings do. I do dress up sometimes, at least. I go to the opera and ballet plus am the age where everyone I know is getting married -- and I can even see wearing it in my hair for my own wedding!

I sure do sound like I'm going to buy it, huh? :lol:
My husband works in tech, and I work at a tech company (doing non-tech stuff), so I totally get the workplace casualness! But I’m pretty sure you’re going to buy it, if nothing goes wrong. The fact that you fantasize about wearing it here, and there, that often, or at your wedding… I think is a dead giveaway. :) Enjoy it! :kiss2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so so gorgeous. @Bron357 I need one of those conversions for mine, do you have a link? If not, what should I ask for?

I just got my jeweller to add a “loop” at each end and I actually used a white gold watch band I had. I bought the watch and watch band ages ago without realizing it was so cheap because it only fitted like a 5 inch wrist! So I repurposed the watch band putting the brooch in the Centre. You could use a bracelet to do the same.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Have you decided what to do with your stunning brooch? I think I saw that yours is 4" long and the one I'm considering is only 2" so that might make the Lang one a bit more feasible than yours if I want to convert it later....

Yes. I have made several rings and pendants with it, but the major cluster ring is pretty over the top, so,I may remake it. Still wish it had worked to be a bracelet, since that was what I really wanted. IMG_2569.jpeg 100729.jpeg

Attachments

• 101354.jpeg
    101354.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 100708 V2.jpeg
    100708 V2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 100708.jpeg
    100708.jpeg
    604.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 99489-4.jpeg
    99489-4.jpeg
    719.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 99489-2.jpeg
    99489-2.jpeg
    600.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 99489.jpeg
    99489.jpeg
    668.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
I'm home and it's here with me! I feel like I could just stare at it forever. I went straight to Lang from working out so excuse my tank top.

On a ribbon I already have that's too wide so I had to fold it:
1721518963285.png

with my favorite scarf:
1721518978365.png

Showing some of the pastels:
1721519008275.png
And a few videos:

I also tried on what will quite possible be the most expensive item I ever touch. If only it had been perfectly clean!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. I have made several rings and pendants with it, but the major cluster ring is pretty over the top, so,I may remake it. Still wish it had worked to be a bracelet, since that was what I really wanted. IMG_2569.jpeg 100729.jpeg

Have you posted deets on our five stone anywhere? I’d love to know more about the setting.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm home and it's here with me! I feel like I could just stare at it forever. I went straight to Lang from working out so excuse my tank top.

On a ribbon I already have that's too wide so I had to fold it:
1721518963285.png

with my favorite scarf:
1721518978365.png

Showing some of the pastels:
1721519008275.png
And a few videos:

I also tried on what will quite possible be the most expensive item I ever touch. If only it had been perfectly clean!

:love:It's amazing! And I can see the stones now!:lol:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I'm so glad you got it! It's so gorgeous. I would wear the heck out of it anyway I could, lol.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a truly unique and lovely piece! I can see why you fell for it. I like it worn both ways you showed. In a ribbon on your wrist would also be lovely.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Have you posted deets on our five stone anywhere? I’d love to know more about the setting.

No. It was a mounting I had that I bought from sincityfinds. I used the stones for something else, and then missed the heck out of the ring, so I had DK use some of the stones from the brooch to restore it. The navette was a setting I bought at auction, and use oecs from the brooch. I love how it turned out.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this pin!!! I've definitely been finding fun ways to wear my new pins :)
Including using it as purse/bag ornaments!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
So glad you purchased the brooch, @newtojewels It's so gorgeous, and the ways you've styled it look great! It can work for casual or dressy.

If you wanted to use it with a strand of pearls, could you have a specific strand for wearing with the brooch? I'm imagining a strand with a metal (?) loop at each end—the tongue of the pin would thread through each loop, and voila!, the brooch is the "clasp" for the pearls. :D

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. It was a mounting I had that I bought from sincityfinds. I used the stones for something else, and then missed the heck out of the ring, so I had DK use some of the stones from the brooch to restore it. The navette was a setting I bought at auction, and use oecs from the brooch. I love how it turned out.

I’d live to see picture if you have a moment. Especially the gallery. As you may know I am making a five stone this year and always looking for antique inspirations that others have and love.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I’d live to see picture if you have a moment. Especially the gallery. As you may know I am making a five stone this year and always looking for antique inspirations that others have and love.
The first picture is the current reset. The others are of the original, which are more graduated.

image.jpg IMG_6041.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6008.jpeg
    IMG_6008.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6002.jpeg
    IMG_6002.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 6

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first picture is the current reset. The others are of the original, which are more graduated.

image.jpg IMG_6041.jpeg

Classic I can see why you missed it.

Threadjack over lol!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s stunning and you would have been sad if you’d let it go. I’ve been looking at these types of brooches for a long time (it’s my hobby browsing and keeping my eye out) and your one is particularly beautiful.
That workmanship level is nigh impossible to find and afford these days so treasure that beauty.
However you wear it, wear it with joy.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry that I have only just seen this thread. I absolutely think this was the right purchase for you. I particularly like how you have styled it with your scarf.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy for you!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of a bracelet conversion. It’s beautiful and for Langs incredibly well priced.

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
It is a truly unique and lovely piece! I can see why you fell for it. I like it worn both ways you showed. In a ribbon on your wrist would also be lovely.

unfortunately it just sticks out a little too much to be reasonable on my wrist, though it might work with a giant bow underneath it. If I ever ship anything to DK to set, I may also ask about adding in a slight bend. Not as much as I would need for a full bracelet conversion, but enough to help it lay better as a choker or on my wrist. We'll see!

I love this pin!!! I've definitely been finding fun ways to wear my new pins :)
Including using it as purse/bag ornaments!

I was thinking that it might work on an evening bag! You were one of my pin inspirations (pinspirations?) because I love your jewelry style.

So glad you purchased the brooch, @newtojewels It's so gorgeous, and the ways you've styled it look great! It can work for casual or dressy.

If you wanted to use it with a strand of pearls, could you have a specific strand for wearing with the brooch? I'm imagining a strand with a metal (?) loop at each end—the tongue of the pin would thread through each loop, and voila!, the brooch is the "clasp" for the pearls. :D

Yes, I have some really cheap freshwater pearls that I was thinking about trying that with. If it works, I could do something like this Marla Aaron look and have a plainer connector as well for a few sets of beads. I think I would want them to be ~10mm to get the proportions right:

1721674862047.png

It’s stunning and you would have been sad if you’d let it go. I’ve been looking at these types of brooches for a long time (it’s my hobby browsing and keeping my eye out) and your one is particularly beautiful.
That workmanship level is nigh impossible to find and afford these days so treasure that beauty.
However you wear it, wear it with joy.

Thank you! And yes, I was looking at some of the standard art deco reproductions online and my small Ferko's Fine Jewelry bracelets and of course there's no comparison with the detail, milgrain, etc. I just wish it had been signed because I'm curious who made it!

I’m sorry that I have only just seen this thread. I absolutely think this was the right purchase for you. I particularly like how you have styled it with your scarf.

Thank you! I have other scarves of course but that one I thought was a particularly good fit for the pin.

Thinking of fine workmanship, the scarf is from a very interesting family-owned company in Kyoto that does a unique type of silk printing. Hermes helped bring them back to public attention through a collaboration but I purchased this one from the company directly. This video is an amazing short watch about their process:

Happy for you!

Thank you!

I love the idea of a bracelet conversion. It’s beautiful and for Langs incredibly well priced.

Thank you! And yes, it was one of the first Lang pieces I saw where I didn't immediately think, "that's beautiful but OOF seems like it's too expensive for what it is". Instead it was, "I need to go see that in person".

lala646

Ideal_Rock
unfortunately it just sticks out a little too much to be reasonable on my wrist, though it might work with a giant bow underneath it. If I ever ship anything to DK to set, I may also ask about adding in a slight bend. Not as much as I would need for a full bracelet conversion, but enough to help it lay better as a choker or on my wrist. We'll see!

I was thinking that it might work on an evening bag! You were one of my pin inspirations (pinspirations?) because I love your jewelry style.

Yes, I have some really cheap freshwater pearls that I was thinking about trying that with. If it works, I could do something like this Marla Aaron look and have a plainer connector as well for a few sets of beads. I think I would want them to be ~10mm to get the proportions right:

1721674862047.png

Thank you! And yes, I was looking at some of the standard art deco reproductions online and my small Ferko's Fine Jewelry bracelets and of course there's no comparison with the detail, milgrain, etc. I just wish it had been signed because I'm curious who made it!

Thank you! I have other scarves of course but that one I thought was a particularly good fit for the pin.

Thinking of fine workmanship, the scarf is from a very interesting family-owned company in Kyoto that does a unique type of silk printing. Hermes helped bring them back to public attention through a collaboration but I purchased this one from the company directly. This video is an amazing short watch about their process:

Thank you!

Thank you! And yes, it was one of the first Lang pieces I saw where I didn't immediately think, "that's beautiful but OOF seems like it's too expensive for what it is". Instead it was, "I need to go see that in person".
Excellent video!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another photo in my jewelry box with her new friends. I'm going to need a bigger jewelry box soon!

1721695533179.png

Such a stunning collection. I love how you have focused on buying a diverse set of pieces. But your set is very cohesive. Really lovely.

BTW where is that jewelry box from? I need something that size.

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
Such a stunning collection. I love how you have focused on buying a diverse set of pieces. But your set is very cohesive. Really lovely.

BTW where is that jewelry box from? I need something that size.

Thank you!

It's a travel box from Wolf that came inside one of their larger jewelry boxes that I got secondhand. It's really too expensive for what it is I think. The big box currently holds enamel pins and sterling/costume jewelry and honestly is a little clunky and awkward to use. The little travel box has all of my fine jewelry. I do like the size, I just wish I liked the big one more!

This is the big box I have: https://www.wolf1834.com/us/london-medium-jewelry-box#93=51. The tipping ring roll thing loses pieces into the back of the box so you need to take everything apart to rescue them, there isn't a good way to hold earrings, and the mirror door always pops open and prevents the lid from being closed easily. I do like the travel bit, though! :lol:

This cheapie on Amazon seems to be about the same size as the travel part and seems worth the try for $10 given the good reviews: https://www.amazon.com/jiemei-Organizer-Necklace-Earrings-Accessories/dp/B082SHD7KY/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results