shape
carat
color
clarity

vent/request for advice-real problems with JKT custom piece

Re: vent/request for advice-real problems with JKT custom pi

That's great to hear, AJ. I'm glad it's all getting taken care of. You could come visit us in CS sometime..We miss you over there.

i am so pleased for you, AJ. I hope that you will end up with the bracelet you expected. As with many businesses and professions, you are judged by how you handle your mistakes :appl:

So glad to hear that, AJ! I'm interested to see the outcome.

This thread really shows how valuable PS is to consumers. I kind of forget that aspect of PS because (fortunately) threads like this are pretty rare.

Aj: I have followed this thread without adding anything bc, well, frankly, I didn't have much to add other than condolences.
I am so excited that you'll have a resolution in the works soon. It is such a gorgeous piece, and being wasted in a jewelry box is nowhere for it.

I also want to thank you for this thread. Seeing as this is an educational forum for consumer awareness, I learned much about the custom works process through both yours and Freke's stories. Not just on the practices of one vendor (not going to comment on who was right/wrong/etc) but simply I was educated on the custom practices as a whole, as well as policies or procedures to look out for or to be wary of in the future. Im sorry your misfortune had to be the venue for my learning, but I appreciated that you posted this because it benefits me no matter who the vendor was.

:appl:

Glad to hear things are looking up!

Just wanted to say thank you very much to all the well - wishers..
My apologies I can't reply one by one at the moment...my fiance managed to pass onto me the first Cold I've had in easily over 3 yrs, so I'm feeling pretty miserable today! (darn you fiance and your germ-carrying workmates!) :knockout:

And those members who bought it up...I promise I won't disappear again, and just 'use' PS as a vent area, ha ha..
In all honesty, I have zero spare time these days which is another reason behind my absence..
But I do still lurk occasionally and will make more of an effort to post too ::)

My DSLR arrived today, so I'm looking forward to being able to post some nice new macro pics soon..

And I will continue to update on the progress of the bracelet situation, of course.
Just to clarify, its not likely that Julia will be fixing or remaking the bracelet - (it seems we were on the same page that this is not a preferable option at this stage & considering the various issues involved).

Thanks again all!
AJ :wavey:

Hey AJ,

It seems we are in the same boat with colds - I too have my first in years and I'm miserable and grumpy and I'd much rather be swanning about in Las Vegas like some are doing.
New DSLR eh, well I'm EXPECTING a huge delivery of new pics to my inbox missy!
The resolution to your bracelet problems sounds promising, that is such good news, well deserved good news after so long a wait.

K :))

AJ, I am so glad that you are going to be getting some kind of resolution for this miserable experience. I hope that whatever the final agreement is, it allows you some peace of mind in the long run.

Very good news AJ!

I'm glad you and Julia seem to be reaching a resolution, AJ! This must've been such an ordeal for you. I'm glad you'll be getting at least some sort of closure out of it. I hope you'll come back and tell us what you guys decided to do.

Off to go reply to your DSLR thread!

Hello fellow PSers.

I thought I should update this thread, firstly as the situation has finally come to its resolution.
Secondly, as I was very grateful for the advice and support I received from the community during what was a very difficult transaction with an hostile vendor.
And thirdly, as I feel the PS community has a right to know about how I have been treated by this vendor, Julia Kay Taylor, throughout this process.
In sum, I feel a sense of responsibility to current or future clients of hers, seeing as I was one of the first members to post a custom piece from JKT here, and believe that my constant rave reviews of her services and products had at least a reasonable contribution to this vendor's soaring popularity.
However, I would like to stress That is all Fine - I do not hold a grudge, and would never begrudge someone making an honest living and creating items that their clients love and can have 100% confidence in their vendor's policies, quality control and procedures.

My outstanding issue with JKT lies in the pure hypocrisy of her published policies - and even though I know it is likely in vain, this thread update is made in the hopes that it may provide some self reflection on these inconsistencies, to prevent future clients experiencing the same poor treatment that I have.
I say it is in vain, as I don't anticipate JKT changing anything. She has made it clear to me she feels 'the victim' in our dispute, and has requested a public apology (I won't be making one).

This is a consumer advocacy site, and I am an advocate for transparency, communication, honesty and above all quality in any jeweller-client relationship. So perhaps my posts will simply raise awareness for the consumer, if not the vendor.

This stuff has no big impact, but I post it for the sake of transparency and telling the whole story.
The timeline for the remainder of this situation is as follows:
1. After this thread was started, and after viewing my photos of the specific faults, Julia proposed an agreement for a refund on 28th May (until then she had ignored all of my attempts at communications).
2. I queried a number of details in the agreement I was not 100% happy with on 29th May. I didn't receive a response/clarification about my enquiries until 10th June.
3. Part of the agreement was to have my gemstones removed by my choice of jeweller. I sent the bracelet on to my trusted jeweller in New Zealand on 18 June.
4. My jeweller received the bracelet on the morning of 29 June (unfortunately there were no flights for a long period due to a volcanic ash cloud). He promptly and professionally removed the gems, and mailed the bracelet to JKT in the US on the same day (29 June).
5. Julia received the bracelet and stated that she was happy with the condition of the returned item on the 8th July, so my refund would be forthcoming.
6. Despite an email querying my refund's progress approx 1.5 weeks later, I did not receive any response from Julia.
7. My refund came through on 28th July; the only notification I received was the automatically generated notice from Paypal, which included a note from JKT stating the acceptance of this refund finalised and closed this transaction. I did not receive any emails from Julia at all.
Fine, no big deal, I didn't mind - I have my refund, that is what counts.

Well that was until my jeweller in NZ congratulated me on receiving my refund, before I had told him.
Turns out, JKT had taken it upon herself to email the following *private information* to my jeweller in NZ, without even attempting to ask my consent:

"Hi Mike,
In the event that you have been awaiting payment for removal of Natalia's gemstones, I thought I should send you a note to confirm that she received her refund on July 28.

Hope you have been doing well.
Best,
Julia."

I must stress, there is *NO* communication between Julia Taylor and I at any point to indicate I have any monies what so ever outstanding to my jeweller for any purposes - nor is there any such communication that has ever occurred between her and my jeweller Mike (actually, he removed the gems for me for free, just because he's a good guy like that).
I feel Julia has acted very much unprofessionally, on negative assumptions about my professional relationship with my jeweller.

So what?
Well, as from the Julia Kay Taylor website, from policies, verbatim:

"General Philosophy: I believe it is important to create a ‘sacred space’ of mutual trust, discretion and comfort when discussing or entering into a project with a client. This is highly conducive to the creative process and overall enjoyment of the experience for both client and artist. The two policies stated below are integral components of this reciprocated respect for privacy and intellectual property.

*Emails between Julia Kay Taylor and clients or potential clients are considered Private Correspondence. Email contents or portions of emails may not be copied, forwarded or posted publicly to the internet without permission from Julia Kay Taylor.

(I have exempted the second policy as it doesn't apply to this situation, however it can be found here: http://www.juliakaytaylor.com/policies.html)

So to clarify: a "sacred space" of "mutual trust and discretion", where all email contents are considered Private Correspondence -
This actually means: JKT can and will forward private information about financial transactions to a third party, without your inform or consent.
Hrmmm......

So yes, some may see this as sour grapes or an axe to grind - if that is the case, please re-read the first half of my post.
Those are my sole motivations, hand on heart.
Since this transaction is finally over, I would prefer not to re-visit it in any way, so I did not take making this update post lightly.

As always, JKT is free to her right of reply, just as is any other vendor.

Frankly I do not believe that JKT plays by her own rules; I feel her behaviour throughout this saga has been unprofessional at best, and I would urge those considering entering any custom contract with any vendor to do as much as they can to protect themselves.
I may have my refund, but to do so this has wasted so much of my time and energy over a period of months, and the hassle of the project goes back not just months but years.

Sincerely,
AJ.

Thanks for coming back to post the final instalment.

I hope that you can take your stones and turn them into something with only positive feelings around it.

All the best, Px

Thanks for the update AJ. Glad to hear you've gotten the refund, but sorry to hear that JKT took it upon herself to contact your jeweler--strange.

Wow, that is strange and very unprofessional of her. That said, I'm so glad you got a refund and I hope you find a vendor to make you a gorgeous piece that actually fits.

I am shocked that Julia would contact your jeweler. It sounds spiteful to me. It violates your privacy and serves no purpose at all. I'm glad that you posted this part of the outcome. Creating sacred space should mean something. As a counselor, that is something that I believe in. You don't blindside your client because of a disagreement. If you cannot be taken at your word, it is meaningless. I am dismayed you had to go through this experience with Julia. It changes the meaning of her custom work from being made out of mutual respect and cooperation to a piece of jewelry. It's a look behind the curtain and it's not what I expected to see :nono:

Perhaps a dumb question (and I'll admit I haven't read the whole thread), but was your jeweler sending the bracelet back to JKT after the removal of the stones? Oh, and, why did she have your jeweler's name/contact info anyway?

How crazy! I can't believe she did that. But I'm glad you have your refund.

^ Good questions, Loves Vintage--how did JKT know the name of your jeweler? From him mailing the piece back to her? From that e-mail she sent him, it sounds almost like they're friends. I think that e-mail from JKT was extremely unprofessional and tacky--it was as though she was implying you wouldn't pay your jeweler promptly.

I agree that what JKT did is tacky, but I also think that relations between JKT and AJ have probably soured to the point where her actions are not necessarily indicative of her normal business practices. No AJ, I'm not saying you're posting due to "sour grapes," just saying this is at this point well out of the norm. I'm glad to hear that you have your gemstones back and that you received a full refund. I know that doesn't erase the whole bad experience, but I do hope they'll make it into a beautiful project that will give you much pleasure.

Loves Vintage|1312214074|2981620 said:
Perhaps a dumb question (and I'll admit I haven't read the whole thread), but was your jeweler sending the bracelet back to JKT after the removal of the stones? Oh, and, why did she have your jeweler's name/contact info anyway?

Yes, this would be the only reason that it makes sense that she contacted him. IF he sent the bracelet to her, he probably wanted confirmation that all was done and overwith.

At any rate, I'm so sorry you spent so much emotional time & energy (plus $), on a project that didn't work out!

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

MC|1312224887|2981723 said:
Loves Vintage|1312214074|2981620 said:

Yes, this would be the only reason that it makes sense that she contacted him. IF he sent the bracelet to her, he probably wanted confirmation that all was done and overwith.

At any rate, I'm so sorry you spent so much emotional time & energy (plus $), on a project that didn't work out!

Hi LV - not a dumb question at all, and I apologize for not thinking to clarify this earlier.
MC hit the nail.

My jeweller forwarded on the bracelet directly from NZ to Julia in the US (to avoid the hassle of sending it back to Australia).
He also followed up with JKT once via email, on my behalf, to ensure she had received the package safely and was satisfied with the
condition of the bracelet.
Mike R and JKT do not know each other and had not been introduced / communicated before this occasion.

Laila619|1312219342|2981662 said:
How crazy! I can't believe she did that. But I'm glad you have your refund.

^ Good questions, Loves Vintage--how did JKT know the name of your jeweler? From him mailing the piece back to her? From that e-mail she sent him, it sounds almost like they're friends. I think that e-mail from JKT was extremely unprofessional and tacky--it was as though she was implying you wouldn't pay your jeweler promptly.

this Laila, is how it made me feel and what I felt the implication was.
And this supposition is completely unfounded; especially since, I was more than 60% paid in advance for months before JKT began work on my bracelet. So, in fact the opposite is true! :confused:

Fortunately, my NZ jeweller and I have a very productive and friendly professional relationship, so I do not mind him knowing details of my other projects, even what they cost. We chat like mates.
However, that is not the point, because as far as JKT knows it is a 'strictly business' relationship only - and that information is private and financially sensitive.
IF she had emailed me about the refund, she could have copied Mike in, and that would have served any supposed purpose of notification. That perhaps, would be totally acceptable and in the realms of common sense. But that is not what she chose to do.

For the record, Julia would ignore my emails whenever I tried to follow up; but she responded to Michael's within the hour - so her email apparently does work, just selectively ;))

risingsun|1312213832|2981617 said:
I am shocked that Julia would contact your jeweler. It sounds spiteful to me. It violates your privacy and serves no purpose at all. I'm glad that you posted this part of the outcome. Creating sacred space should mean something. As a counselor, that is something that I believe in. You don't blindside your client because of a disagreement. If you cannot be taken at your word, it is meaningless. I am dismayed you had to go through this experience with Julia. It changes the meaning of her custom work from being made out of mutual respect and cooperation to a piece of jewelry. It's a look behind the curtain and it's not what I expected to see :nono:

Thank you RS for understanding this.
Clearly, any assumption of a 'sacred' or even trusting relationship was out the window - but that does not mean I expect violations of my privacy.
From my POV (and I know there a few select others around who would agree), JKT's policies are baloney. They serve only to protect her behind, the client has no security or rights - and at the end of the day, she didn't even stick to the basics (communication, respect, trust).

Sure, my case is not the norm - however I have always strongly believed in the motto, since finding PS, that the real test of any custom jeweller is when things go wrong.
Fail.

arjunajane|1312265321|2982134 said:
risingsun|1312213832|2981617 said:

Thank you RS for understanding this.
Clearly, any assumption of a 'sacred' or even trusting relationship was out the window - but that does not mean I expect violations of my privacy.
From my POV (and I know there a few select others around who would agree), JKT's policies are baloney. They serve only to protect her behind, the client has no security or rights - and at the end of the day, she didn't even stick to the basics (communication, respect, trust).

Sure, my case is not the norm - however I have always strongly believed in the motto, since finding PS, that the real test of any custom jeweller is when things go wrong.
Fail.

Bigtime fail. I know it was hard to post this thread AJ- good god, what a fiasco!- but I'm really glad you did, because now I know that I for one am for positive *sure* never going to use JKT.

However, I'm glad you're finally, at long last, free of that #$%**! bracelet. I bet that felt good! It's not like you could've ever worn it, considering not just the impossible shape but the unpleasantness it represented. How utterly lame from start to finish on her part.

I'm sure it's not just been frustrating but saddening, the whole ordeal, to be treated so poorly all the way around.

And yes- regardless of personal feelings, a level of professionalism is not just expected but required from someone like a custom jeweler. Even if you aren't "friends" at some point, a project should never, ever devolve in the way it did with you- that's so far beyond alright I don't even have words.

So, spill- got any plans yet for those gorgeous rocks that were extracted from their shackle? :naughty:

In my experience, the WORST thing you can do to someone who posts on any forum?

Keep them in silence. Cold shoulder treatment.

I mean c'mon! For crying out loud, we write endlessly about everything! You got to take the time to write back right?

I am dismayed and disappointed by the way Julia Kay Taylor chose to handle that last (IMHO, completely unnecessary) communication, and indeed the whole issue.

It's certainly great to see that you are finally through this saga and out the other side, anyway. Best of luck with the new project for those lovely stones - do you have anything in mind yet?

I only commissioned one piece from her. At the start of her 'rise to fame' for my mom. She did a great job on it. But while I have had other projects I had her qoute. I did not chose her for them because of of the communications with her had my spidey senses tingling. I think she started to get arrogant and full of her self after she became so popular. Which is a shame because if she just kept her pride in check she'd have much better chance at a long career, at least on here.

I'm not surprised by what she did. Just saddened.

I'm glad this is finally resolved so you both can put it behind you. Any new plans for the stones?

I've read this entire thread so having invested the time in it, I'd like to say that the violation of the client's privacy, IMHO, may not speak to the vendor's normal business practices, but does speak to the vendor's character. Unacceptable, not to mention the absurd mistake of the misshapen bracelet, ridiculous 'timeline,' and the recurring lack of timely and appropriate communication. PS educates consumers. I now feel well enough educated about the vendor. What a hassle. OP, I'm sorry you had to go through this, and good for you for speaking up about it and receiving the refund you deserved.

SHE was the one that wanted an apology?!?!?! What a class act. So glad I never did business with her, and never will. There are plenty of other talented etsy members or other jewelers that won't pull the BS that she did.

I am so sorry that you had to deal with this. What a joke that she feels like a victim! HA!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results