shape
carat
color
clarity

What do YOU feel is an acceptable emerald enhancement

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mayacamas

Rough_Rock
Hello, I have been the consistant emerald question poster, but here is a real doozie!

What do we now consider an acceptable treatment (dare I say desireable)? Lets assume that the dealer states openly its treated with:

Cedarwood oil?

Polymer that wont fade and IS removable?

Opticon?

Does the choice of what type of treatment affect value- i.e. if treated with cedar oil its worth so much per carat, and if treated with opticon its worth (less? more?)

Thanks,

Mayacamas

If I am going to own a treated emerald (and virtually all of them are), I would prefer to have one that has the fractures/fissures filled with a hardened resin, such as that used by Arthur Groom. This resin is far more stable than unhardened resins (such as Opticon) or oils (such as cedarwood oil).

While we are on the subject of emerald treatments, I should mention that the term "natural oil" is an oxymoron. The very process of treating an emerald is not a natural process. Thus it is ridiculous to suggest that the insertion of a "natural" oil is somehow better.

----------------
On 10/25/2004 2:33:37 PM rubydick wrote:

If I am going to own a treated emerald (and virtually all of them are), I would prefer to have one that has the fractures/fissures filled with a hardened resin, such as that used by Arthur Groom. This resin is far more stable than unharded resins (such as Opticon) or oils (such as cedarwood oil).

While we are on the subject of emerald treatments, I should mention that the term 'natural oil' is an oxymoron. The very process of treating an emerald is not a natural process. Thus it is ridiculous to suggest that the insertion of a 'natural' oil is somehow better.----------------

I'm so glad you replied to this, rubydick!

I was quite confused by this issue as well...

Sellers I've talked to tout the 'natural oil' treatment as better than resin treatment - as it is much closer to "natural" emerald (even though resin filling will definitely be more stabilizing). They were drawing parallel to 'low heat' to corundums vs. Beryllium enhanced treatment.

Here's one little story:
The nicer emeralds I get to see around here come with either pernament filler or cedar oil. The less needy emeralds seem to come oiled rather than treated with permanent filler. The reason I've been given for this is that the temporary treatment can be removed upon buyers' request.

At a first glance, it appears reasonable to use different treatments according to need. I cannot know if this is just a local oddity. Is it ?

Actually, Arthur Groom's hardened filler can also be removed if need be. But the idea of a hardened filler is that it will not leak out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP