shape
carat
color
clarity

What types of crystals form in spinel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I ''ve noticed one of my spnels has tiny crystals in it whe I look at it under a loup. What kind of minerals usually form in spinel or is it just more spinel?

Commonly tiny octahedral crystals of spinel group minerals are seen in rows forming what are sometimes called fingerprints.

Hello,
You can have many beautiful crystal inlcusions in spinels:
Apatite is very common, it is very commonly associated in Mogok spinels with a small black ilmenite platelet.
apatite crystal in Mogok spinel
Many other crystals are commonly found like beautiful dolomite crystals surrounded by tiny crystalites or orientated tubes. Black Graphite platelets are also possible as well as olivine, quartz, mica, rutile, sphene, uranite...
You can see some of the inclusions present in Namya spinels in the following gallery:
Namya spinels inlcusions

I will make more inclusions photos in Mogok spinels in the next few days and try to put them on line soon. I should have done that long time ago...

You can also find many spinel inclusion photos in the following website:
red spinel
orange spinel
Blue spinel
Synthetic spinel

All the best,

Thanks for the cool inclusion pics.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP