shape
carat
color
clarity

What''''s the average diamond size where you live?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 11:33:05 AM
Author: jfan
I live in the Gramercy area of Manhattan and, to be honest, it seems that everyone's rings here are HUGE. I'm talking like 2 carat minimum on girls my age (30) and up. Most have super blingy sets, too. Whenever I go to the Whole Foods in Chelsea it is a serious bling fest. I told my husband that we have to change markets so I can avoid 'bling envy!'
Interesting. I can tell you that Whole Foods Union Square is practically devoid of bling. As for the one that'll open on the Bowery in a week, I should imagine I'll be counting tattoos while shopping, not carats.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see pretty much everything. Most of my friends have 2 carats +, but they have been married 20 plus years and have upgraded. One of my friends has an 8 carat RB, and it''s amazing. Not doorknobish at all, hehe. I have another friend who has an amazing 3 stone EC ring, it''s just stunning. One thing I see a lot of is stacking eternity bands, I love that look.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 2:15:15 PM
Author: jaysonsmom

Date: 3/12/2007 9:46:09 PM
Author:sap483
So I was talking to my cousin who lives in the OC, and she was telling me how everyone she works with has these gigantic e-rings. She has a 2.5ct and she says it's somehow starting to look small compared to her co-workers. Seems like the trend is 3+ cts. This got me thinking, how big would you guess the average e-ring diamond is where you live? I'll start it off. I live in Boston, and I would say that from most of the ppl I know, the average would be somewhere around 1.5, maybe even between 1.5 and 2ct.
I find that hard to believe. I live in 'THE OC', about 1 mile from where the Real Housewives of OC live, and I even go to the same Gym as Slade (hehe). Anyhoo, I'd say the majorty of the people I see around at parks, shopping malls, grocery stores have rings averaging about 1.5ct. This is already a pretty high average IMO. If I went to other parts of OC, I rarely see anything over 1ct.
I can only speak for what she has told me and what I've seen at her wedding and at other times I've visited. Many of her co-workers were there and the good majority of them diid have 2+ carat diamonds. They're so young that I had to ask my cousin if those rings were ring
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
SDL, not to thread jack, but did you get something new?! I cannot recall, but I think you had a ring with sapphires, right?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 6:50:13 PM
Author: lumpkin

Date: 3/12/2007 2:02:38 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
I have no idea - every time I see a big beautiful ring I compliment the owner and they blurt out its fake
41.gif

I''d say in real diamonds, under a carat.

That''s hillarious!!! I think we live in twin cities, Cehra! I think the average around here is about 3/4 carat. A lot of times women upgrade by getting a lot of side stones in a new setting, or they get a 3 stone or something for the right hand.
LOL! The only woman I know who got an upgrade is one who went up to I think a carat from maybe 1/4 carat or something... and my friend just got a 1 carat center stone with more diamonds at ZALES (sob) and it was her first diamond after 10 years... One friend has a 1 carat marquise but i really dislike her stone it''s way too long and I hate how it is set... very high and plain. She says it scratches on everything and she never wears it anymore. Its platinum and she''s constantly fighting bent prongs. Other than that they''re all smaller except I have one friend who inherited a 1.5 or 2 carat BEAUTIFUL stone but her husband doesn''t like her wearing it in place of the one he gave her lol All the rest aren''t real :/

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting question!

I am Vietnamese and grew up in the UK and have lived also in Hong Kong and now am in Singapore.

Most Vietnamese women living overseas wouldn''t be seen dead with less than 3 carat (I once saw a cashier in a Vietnamese grocery store in Melbourne, Australia, wearing a cushion honker - I''d say about 4-5 carat, that is so so beatifully white and sparkling ! LOL). Most Vietnamese women living in Vietnam wear smaller stones (at least those who can afford it), but I have it from a reliable source that there are some "nouveau riche" who only wear 3+ carat rings. And they want nothing less than VVS, D-F quality!
6.gif

Women in the UK tend to go for smaller stones, about 1/2 carat or so, for fear of getting mugged! but there are some who sport bigger stones. Look at Elizabeth Hurley''s ! But these are the exceptions rather than the norm.

Women in HK are absolutely crazy about diamonds, designer clothes, designer shoes, designer handbags etc. also for that matter. They are very competitive and are always trying to outdo each other. They also tend to wear larger stones (2+ carat, or at least if they can''[t afford bigger e-ring, they will try to buy other diammonds, ie. earrings, studs etc. to look as sparkly and to complement their wardrobe as much as possible).

Most Singaporean women have smaller diamonds (1/4-1/2 carats) and they tend to be poorly cut; but there are some, the "tai-tais" who wear easily 5+carat stones. Some of my friends have Tiffany''s and/ or larger (3+ stones) but interestingly enough, these are expats, mostly Americans or have lived in the US! (I have to add that neither I nor my friends are "tai-tais" , i only wish!
21.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I noticed that most of the women with bigger rings, tended to be the women who get married older, or to older men who make more money in the later stages of their career.

Also, there is the "divorce factor", where if a man marries for a second time, the wife may be younger, and the ring must be bigger, usually twice the size. So the first wife gets the 1ct, and the second wife gets the 2ct!
31.gif

jfan

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 8:16:17 PM
Author: ursulawrite
Date: 3/13/2007 11:33:05 AM
Interesting. I can tell you that Whole Foods Union Square is practically devoid of bling. As for the one that''ll open on the Bowery in a week, I should imagine I''ll be counting tattoos while shopping, not carats.

Haha, so true!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
lienT, Most of the Vietnamese woman I know are wearing under 1 carat (and YES they can afford it), along with my newly engaged doctor-doctor Vietnamese pairings that have gotten engaged within the last year. I think it depends very much on where you are living, maybe it''s the Quebec/Canada thing, but I''ve yet to see a large stone on a Viet woman''s hand.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 7:52:17 PM
Author: Miranda

Date: 3/13/2007 2:15:15 PM
Author: jaysonsmom

Date: 3/12/2007 9:46:09 PM
Author:sap483
So I was talking to my cousin who lives in the OC, and she was telling me how everyone she works with has these gigantic e-rings. She has a 2.5ct and she says it''s somehow starting to look small compared to her co-workers. Seems like the trend is 3+ cts. This got me thinking, how big would you guess the average e-ring diamond is where you live? I''ll start it off. I live in Boston, and I would say that from most of the ppl I know, the average would be somewhere around 1.5, maybe even between 1.5 and 2ct.
I find that hard to believe. I live in ''THE OC'', about 1 mile from where the Real Housewives of OC live, and I even go to the same Gym as Slade (hehe). Anyhoo, I''d say the majorty of the people I see around at parks, shopping malls, grocery stores have rings averaging about 1.5ct. This is already a pretty high average IMO. If I went to other parts of OC, I rarely see anything over 1ct.
Do you ever see him???? I am newly addicted to this show. It is disturbing to DH since we, too, live in OC...Just farther southwest.
I have never seen Slade, but I recognize the gym from the show. My friend at the gym when they taped that episode, so she saw Slade. I have seen Vicki out and about though, but I''m not the type to acknowledge celebs (or wannabes).

sap483:
Lauri from the Real Housewives just received a 5ct Tiffany Solitaire, so who knows, maybe the average "outside the gates" where I live is different from those who live inside the Coto gates. Dh and I always joke that were the Beverly Hillbillies of our neighborhood, we always see the newest late model Import cars, blond trophy wives etc. We''re second generation asian immigrants who worked our butts off for professional degrees so that we can live amongst the OC upper-middle class
1.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Average diamond size totally varies in San Francisco by neighborhood. Depending on the socioeconomic level, it could be anywhere from .25 to 4 carats. In my group of friends, I'd say the average is around 2 carats.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 1:41:36 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 3/13/2007 10:44:15 PM
Author: diamondfan
SDL, not to thread jack, but did you get something new?! I cannot recall, but I think you had a ring with sapphires, right?
Yes, you''re right.. I have oval sapphires flanking my diamond.. but.. I miss my solitaire.. or the look of it. How horrible am I? I am really hoping someday.. but.. won''t be upset if it doesn''t happen. :)

Nicrez, I have to go along with women getting married older and having bigger rings. My first ring was .20 with tinny channel set diamonds in the band. Thank you Zales! LOL

As the second wife (for the second time.. sigh) I do have the bigger ring.
31.gif
Yes, it has caused some bling envy.. and has been mentioned many times by the ex.. not that its her business. Shame on my honey for having a life after her! LOL
20.gif
Hysterical! My friend used to tell me that she could never find the right guy because she was still waiting for Mr. Right to sign the divorce papers and THEN she''ll end up meeting him...LOL. Sadly, sometimes that is just the case. One woman''s bad ex, is another woman''s dream hubby...it''s all about personal fit.

I also had another friend tell me that a man divorced is a man with half his "charm" (charm meaning wealth here)...but I don''t notice that to be the case...divorced men tend to be more generous, perhaps hoping that they have finally found their match? In your case I am sure that is the case and so glad to know you got the bigger ring! Hopefully his ex got a good deal on her next "trade"...

Still would be rather nice to upgrade the ring and not the hubby...

but in the end getting the perfect hubby is worth more than the perfect ring...(or is it?)
31.gif
31.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2007 12:29:11 PM
Author: allycat0303
lienT, Most of the Vietnamese woman I know are wearing under 1 carat (and YES they can afford it), along with my newly engaged doctor-doctor Vietnamese pairings that have gotten engaged within the last year. I think it depends very much on where you are living, maybe it''s the Quebec/Canada thing, but I''ve yet to see a large stone on a Viet woman''s hand.
One of my best friends is Vietnamese-American and even though her parents have zero income, her mom insists on wearing a 4-carat diamond because she cannot bear to be outdone by her rich friends. They live in the O.C. My friend had to go into debt to buy the rock for her Mom....her parents made it clear she had no choice! I tried to understand but she told me it was a cultural thing. (she has also gone into debt buying her Mom designer clothes, shoes, and handbags! Again, not to be outdone by the competition.)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
KristyDarling, I didn''t know you also lived in San francisco. What part of town do you live in? I live over by Church and market.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I live near Philadelphia. It''s a very high income area, but there''s not too much bling. It''s not what''s valued.

ellchris

Rough_Rock
I''m with Ursulalwrite on this one.
I also live in manhattan (battery park city) and i rarely see huge diamonds.
In my area, the average is anywhere between .50 and 2 carats (the 2 carat being rare).
Friends, nothing over 1.50.
This was discussed once in another thread and I think it was "JuliaN" who said
she saw big stones in the city. To be honest, I''m totally missing it.
That''s not to say I''ve never seen anything large, I have, just not that often.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2007 2:02:55 PM
Author: innerkitten
KristyDarling, I didn''t know you also lived in San francisco. What part of town do you live in? I live over by Church and market.
You''re not far from me. I''m in Forest Hill, near the intersection of Dewey and Pacheco. I''d be surprised if you knew where that was...no one ever does!
3.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 3:01:28 PM
Author: KristyDarling

You''re not far from me. I''m in Forest Hill, near the intersection of Dewey and Pacheco. I''d be surprised if you knew where that was...no one ever does!
3.gif
KD, I know exactly where that is. I grew up near there and would always pass by there on the way to dance class! I also know a few people who live near there. I''m jealous - you must have a nice big house!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know it well but I went to Hoover middle school and the SOTA when it was at MacAteer. I guess thats within walking distance from there :)

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snlee - hehe, it is spacious by SF standards but I don't know about "nice." It hasn't been updated since the '80's and it's painfully obvious.

Innerkitten -- you went to SOTA? Yeah, it's totally within walking distance (all uphill), like probably 10-15 minutes away. I'm constantly seeing HS kids crossing O'Shaughnessy at Portola, heading back to school after their lunch breaks, with their trombone and violin cases in hand.
9.gif
Were you an actor, singer, instrumentalist, dancer, writer, artist?

To the OP: sorry for the threadjack! :)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry for the highjack too :) It was my fault, oops. I promise to stop.

Visual arts. We did drawing, painting, ceramics and metal arts. It''s a very good school.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I doubt I''m an authority on this, but it seems most people I know in Nashville have exactly 1ct, with a .25-1.5ct range. (of course that includes a Tiffany ring and a few expensive settings)

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
I work at a non-profit in midtown Manhattan. I think the largest I''ve seen at the office is barely over 1ct.

However, many of my friends are in finance or law and it seems like they have a 2ct MINIMUM. Many of my guy friends in these fields are very competitive with each other when shopping for e-rings, always trying to outdo each other in terms of size, quality, and who was able to get the best deal. Needless to say, there were a lot of engagements (with HUGE rocks) in my circle after last year''s record-breaking bonuses.

I guess I''ll be in the middle because my boyfriend''s shopping for stones around the 1.5ct mark.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in the Philadelphia, Pa. area and spend lots of time at the theater and at Philadelphia Orchestra concerts. I see stones of all shapes and sizes at these events - no average size.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan, I am beyond shocked by that story seriously. I don''t correlate it AT all to the Vietnamese people I know. My mom didn''t buy anything like that for herself. Her most important priority was making sure her children''s education and future and grandkids were WAAYYY secure. She talked about giving money to relatives in Vietnam that were poor, that weren''t able to escape the war, but I could never see her spending more then 20,000 on a ring.The Viet people I know aren''t into fancy cars or rings, I will say that they are OBSESSED with houses, and the house tends to be huge, but wearing a 4 carat rock not to be outdone by friends is totally out there for me.

Incidently, I''m wondering what type of Vietnamese people this is? Are they boat people? I''m wondering if this factors in....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 3:27:31 PM
Diamondfan, I am beyond shocked by that story seriously. I don''t correlate it AT all to the Vietnamese people I know. My mom didn''t buy anything like that for herself. Her most important priority was making sure her children''s education and future and grandkids were WAAYYY secure. She talked about giving money to relatives in Vietnam that were poor, that weren''t able to escape the war, but I could never see her spending more then 20,000 on a ring.The Viet people I know aren''t into fancy cars or rings, I will say that they are OBSESSED with houses, and the house tends to be huge, but wearing a 4 carat rock not to be outdone by friends is totally out there for me.

Incidently, I''m wondering what type of Vietnamese people this is? Are they boat people? I''m wondering if this factors in....
Are you confusing diamondfan with someone else?? I couldn''t find that comment??

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 3:39:06 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 3/15/2007 3:27:31 PM

Are you confusing diamondfan with someone else?? I couldn''t find that comment??
allycat, that was KristyDarling that posted the story about her friend''s mom.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 1:53:30 PM

Date: 3/14/2007 12:29:11 PM
One of my best friends is Vietnamese-American and even though her parents have zero income, her mom insists on wearing a 4-carat diamond because she cannot bear to be outdone by her rich friends. They live in the O.C. My friend had to go into debt to buy the rock for her Mom....her parents made it clear she had no choice! I tried to understand but she told me it was a cultural thing. (she has also gone into debt buying her Mom designer clothes, shoes, and handbags! Again, not to be outdone by the competition.)
This was the post by KristyDarling that allycat was refering to . . .

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I don't really know what the average is in Québec, but I've been asked about five times in the 7 months we've been engaged if my FI is rich, and I wear a .50ct, with .76ctw. There are two girls in my classes with e-rings, one I think is a .10ct and the other .25ct at most. So the average is be pretty small.

I worked as a cashier in a grocery store one summer in a very well-off and touristy town, and I saw a lot of bling there! Plenty of 1ct+ beauties.

ETA: It's more about big flashy cars and big houses here, I must admit. Most people say they don't get why someone would spending thousands of dollars on jewellery. Personally, I don't see why someone would spend thousands of dollars on an SUV they don't need...
31.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 3:01:28 PM

3.gif
hehehe... when I was little we lived on ocean ave near junipero serra (there''s a beauty salon on the right corner there if you''re looking east and that was the salon my mom owned and half of it was our house!! Then I lived in a victorian on 21st at the top of the hill (amazing view south) and then my dad spent about 15 years living on central at page... hehehe... just 2 blocks from haight ashbury LOL!! Patchouli is a memory inducing scent ;-) My best friend has THE most amazing flat on the 13th floor of a building near china basin (south of market) on the corner of this building... she has a 180* view from the houseboats, all of downtown, to the bay... it is THE view to die for... best view of any city I''ve ever seen. Huge coca cola sign, all the big buildings... just amazing.... dang suburban portland is bore-ing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results