shape
carat
color
clarity

Where does one start to learn about emeralds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mayacamas

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Having been sated with a recent successful sapphire purchase, I am looking for my next conquest! Where does someone start to learn about fine emeralds- is there a reference text like the Richard Hughes exhaustive book? What about a web site BESIDES PALA AND CHERRY PICKED!!!!!!!!!! to check out gems?

What do people think about buying gems on a cruise to the Carribean?

Thanks!
Halee

253picture.jpg

----------------
On 10/23/2004 7:45:18 PM Mayacamas wrote:

What do people think about buying gems on a cruise to the Carribean?
Halee----------------

I personally wouldn't do it. The cruisecritic boards are full of posts about either a) people buy gems who thought they got such a great deal because the phony appraisal they received said their purchase was worth 3 times what they paid or b)posts about those who came home, had the stones appraised and found out they were worse than represented or c) posts about those who found out their prongs were broken or stones chipped.

We cruise every year, and the last time we were there, I found the prices to be higher than some B&Ms back home.

I love emeralds!!! I guess I've been fortunate as I've had good luck purchasing in St. Thomas. The first piece was a three stone ring with an emerald center flanked by two emerald cut diamonds. After we returned to the states I had it appraised, for insurance purposes, and it appraised for 4 x what we paid. The jeweler was surprised that we had paid so little for what he considered to be a very good quality untreated emerald. This was 8 years ago and I can't remember the name of the store. 5 years ago I purchased an emerald pendant and emerald/diamond anniversary ring from Cardow Jewelers and have been pleased with these pieces as well. They are all Columbian emeralds.

I don't claim to have much education on emeralds, just go by what I like
9.gif

One day I hope to figure out how to use my digital camera and will post some pics!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP