shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to see lots of gemstones?

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Where are some of the best places in the USA to go (or shows to attend) to see as many quality faceted gemstones as possible?
New York City diamond district? Jewelers row in Philadelphia or Chicago? Tucson Gem Show? Etc...

No matter where you go, there will always be some.. errr…. less desirable specimens. I’d highly recommend familiarizing yourself with the basics of a quality gemstone before entering these spaces which are often swimming with people happy to prey on innocent buyers who don’t fully understand what they’re buying.

No matter where you go, there will always be some.. errr…. less desirable specimens. I’d highly recommend familiarizing yourself with the basics of a quality gemstone before entering these spaces which are often swimming with people happy to prey on innocent buyers who don’t fully understand what they’re buying.

Um, I've been a member here for quite a while and have purchased a few gemstones and even shared some YAG rough with two members here. I'm no expert, but I've been around a while.

Um, I've been a member here for quite a while and have purchased a few gemstones and even shared some YAG rough with two members here. I'm no expert, but I've been around a while.

My apologies, I didn’t mean any disrespect. Maybe it was worded poorly, my intention was to say that people should always brush up on things before going, even if they’re very experienced.

Rereading that, it was definitely worded very poorly.

I've never been to a trade show, but have been to round-table events with local gem cutters. They are fun if you have any in your area.

I'm curious, at a gem trade show are you able to see the stones in different lighting? It doesn't seem like that would work. Could one take a stone outside to see it? Or into an office or bathroom?

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP