shape
carat
color
clarity

Worst Insult --- Best Compliment

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lumpkin and Ellen,
I am always kind to others so sometimes people were mean to me. In particular this one girl in the 4th grade was mean to my best friend and I. One day we all had to stay after school and the mean girl was by herself; for some reason my friend and I were mean back to her when she started up her bad attitude. Finally she cried. After that I learned the bully''s were just like you and I and just put up a mean front.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Skippy, did she clean up her act after that? I always wonder what's going on in a kid's life if they have to constantly pick on other kids. At the same time, sometimes I think there are some people who are just plain mean, toxic, horrible individuals best to be avoided altogether!

I'm way too focused on the negative this morning. I think I need some coffee and a shower!!!

Edited to add: Mara, I think you do have a very sharp, organized mind. If you WANTED to become a trial attorney, I have no doubt you would do it very well.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe thanks lumpkin. i think he is right in a way...i do love to debate points and try to see situations in more analytical ways, so maybe i did miss my 'calling' but it's too late now!! i am really not interested in what it would take to even try to see if that would be the right place for me, it's not time to start a 2nd career right now! but maybe in a next life.
2.gif

as for kids being cruel and insults from childhood etc...yeah kids can be pretty bad!! i think we have all experienced it or dished it a time or two. i am sure i have had some insults come my way, i just don't really remember anything. oh maybe here's one insult we still talk about today...when i was young my mom used to give me the most horrible home-haircuts with too-short bangs and an overall horrible appearance...and once we were in this shop and the owner turned to me and said 'hey sonny do you want a lollipop' and my mom was like 'she's a girl!!' and he was like 'oh sorry'...
3.gif
i don't know how long-term traumatized i was but i was more like 'see mom you need to stop cutting my hair'. but we still talk about that story to this day...hehhee. and i was like 'gosh do i really look like a boy? i had little earrings on!!'
40.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
This is a neat thread, and I haven''t had the guts to post anything till now.

Worst Insult: I was about twelve or thirteen, and a "late bloomer." I just started needing a real bra but was very small and self conscious about it. My mom insisted that I get measured, although I pleaded her not to, but she said it would be the fastest way to get my size and make sure I had a good fit. Well, when we got to the store and my mom asked the lady to measure me (a big busted woman, I might add), the lady look at me and said, "Well, really, what''s the point? Bring her back when there''s something to measure." She said this in front of me without even trying to hide it. I was mortified. To this day I have trouble buying bras even though I have since filled out...

Best Compliment: I think the first time that DH told me he thought I was beautiful. We were only about 15, and still in the awkward dating teenager stage. It was the first time a boy who I actually liked had told me he thought I was attractive.

*M*

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2007 1:03:14 PM
Author: Mara
hehe thanks lumpkin. i think he is right in a way...i do love to debate points and try to see situations in more analytical ways, so maybe i did miss my 'calling' but it's too late now!! i am really not interested in what it would take to even try to see if that would be the right place for me, it's not time to start a 2nd career right now! but maybe in a next life.
2.gif

as for kids being cruel and insults from childhood etc...yeah kids can be pretty bad!! i think we have all experienced it or dished it a time or two. i am sure i have had some insults come my way, i just don't really remember anything. oh maybe here's one insult we still talk about today...when i was young my mom used to give me the most horrible home-haircuts with too-short bangs and an overall horrible appearance...and once we were in this shop and the owner turned to me and said 'hey sonny do you want a lollipop' and my mom was like 'she's a girl!!' and he was like 'oh sorry'...
3.gif
i don't know how long-term traumatized i was but i was more like 'see mom you need to stop cutting my hair'. but we still talk about that story to this day...hehhee. and i was like 'gosh do i really look like a boy? i had little earrings on!!'
40.gif

LOL, that is too funny. I just love this thread; it makes me realize we all had these crazy things or similar crazy things happen to us!!!

It makes me laugh; me with my big butt and Kim with her saggy boobs. Geez; people say the dumbest things to others sometimes!!!!
14.gif
14.gif

I know I have a big butt, but at the time I kept think "Geez, I could name 10 more people with BIGGER butts than mine." LOL

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2007 11:07:49 AM
Author: Skippy123
Lumpkin and Ellen,
I am always kind to others so sometimes people were mean to me. In particular this one girl in the 4th grade was mean to my best friend and I. One day we all had to stay after school and the mean girl was by herself; for some reason my friend and I were mean back to her when she started up her bad attitude. Finally she cried. After that I learned the bully''s were just like you and I and just put up a mean front.
Yep. It took me a long time to figure out that people who tease and say insensitive things, many times, only do it to make themselves feel better.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isn''t it funny how many of us can''t remember the best compliment but the worst insult is seared into our minds?

When I was in 4th grade some kid in the cafeteria called me "thunder thighs" and I am still self conscious to this day!!! Looking back on it I know it was ridiculous...as I was completely average weight. And to still worry about it now is even sillier, as I am a size 4!!! But man does that still sting...how silly.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
it's also amazing how immature people are when they are OLDER...forget being kids!! my mom was telling me some story the other night about how she was out walking with her friend at a park recently, and they walked by these two women and one of them started talking about my mom and laughing about her...i guess she said something about how fat she was (and my mom is NOT fat...she works out like 3x a week!)...so my mom turns around and says to the woman 'oh you want to talk about fat? MOOOO'
23.gif
... she was telling me this story recently and i was like 'WHAT?!' i mean BOTH of the women ended up being rude, the weirdo *and* my mom! i was like 'mom did you really need to confront her?' (though i can understand getting angry and saying things you don't mean)....the funniest part was that my mom said the woman was super skinny. so i guess she turned all red when my mom said MOO to her and got really upset. i was like jeez. seriously, adults?! though i can totally relate to getting that 'adrenaline' rush that you can get when you get angry or upset and you DO want to lash out sometimes or speak before thinking. we all it from time to time. but why is it that so many of the insults that people remember have to do with weight or being called fat or ugly? and same with compliments! people seem to tend to remember when people say how pretty they are or how skinny or whatever.

it just underscores how important 'visual perfection' is to our society in general...which is sad...but i doubt will really ever change. it's so ingrained in people's mental states.

TCBug

Rough_Rock
Worst insult: I was in my early 30''s and at a bar with DH and guys in their mid 20''s who worked under DH. One of them told me I was oh, so very pretty --except -- that I really should wear a padded bra so I wouldn''t be sooooo very small. : ) Haa! Even then, the "cheekiness" of it cracked me up. (But I do have to admit that I bought my first padded bra the very next day and have not worn anything else in the decade since -- talk about a lasting comment.)

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Mara, that''s funny. I can just see some lady mooing at someone who called her fat. I would never think that quickly, so I really admire people with quick comebacks, but I know what you''re saying.

I think the most hurtful insults would be about my mothering skills or someone insulting my kids. Then my intelligence, then my character, and then my appearance. No one has ever insulted my character, thank goodness!!! I''ve had plenty of criticism of my appearance, though. It does hurt and it does stay with you. I think it''s the most common type of insult, OR compliment. No one ever comes up to you and says, "Gee you are such a fantastic mother!" It''s often a thankless job, except when your kids tell you they love you or they think you''re great and they love to be with you. My 5 year old tells me all the time he''s "attracted" to me. Apparently he''s a magnet and I''m steel, LOL! He loves to hold my hand when we''re out, and I just LOVE that! It''s not going to last forever, so I really cherish it, and it is high praise as a mom.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lumpkin, it is the bet thing, isn''t it? My 14 year old still will kiss me in public, but no hand holding! It is great while it lasts though...

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OH! Mara''s post made me remember what was probably my "worst insult". (THANKS, girlfriend, I HAD forgotten about it!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)

We had been skiing in the mountains ALL DAY... and had a blast. But of course, by the end of the day, any make-up I had on was LONG gone... I had baaaaad HAT-HEAD... and I was TIRED.

On the way home, we stopped at a restaurant for dinner and when she got to me, the waitress politely asked, "And what would you like, sir?"
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

Believe me, my family teased me about that for YEARS!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2007 9:57:45 PM
Author: Lynn B
OH! Mara's post made me remember what was probably my 'worst insult'. (THANKS, girlfriend, I HAD forgotten about it!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)

We had been skiing in the mountains ALL DAY... and had a blast. But of course, by the end of the day, any make-up I had on was LONG gone... I had baaaaad HAT-HEAD... and I was TIRED.

On the way home, we stopped at a restaurant for dinner and when she got to me, the waitress politely asked, 'And what would you like, sir?'
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

ROFLOL!!!!!! Did your family correct her? Oh my
6.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2007 10:00:36 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 2/25/2007 9:57:45 PM
Author: Lynn B
OH! Mara''s post made me remember what was probably my ''worst insult''. (THANKS, girlfriend, I HAD forgotten about it!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)

On the way home, we stopped at a restaurant for dinner and when she got to me, the waitress politely asked, ''And what would you like, sir?''
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

ROFLOL!!!!!! Did your family correct her? Oh my
6.gif
Well, although I like to think she realized it right away on her own
2.gif
, it was probably the scathing look I gave her (and my howling family!) that clued her in! Haha!
Actually, I think she apologized profusely, but honestly, I was so insulted that I don''t even really remember!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
The reason I thought it was so funny because I think I was looking at your ring and saw a pic of you. There is no way I could imagine you looking like a man!!! What a nutty waitress.

It reminded me of a time I was baby sitting when I was 12 and I answered the door bell and the gentleman at the door thought I was the woman of the house!!!! I was only 12, sheesh!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok I get this a lot. Someone calls and says can I speak to your mom?? I say I am the mom.
11.gif
I have a very young sounding voice. Not an insult exactly but it does drive me nuts. It''s not just cold callers, it''s the dry cleaner, the hair salon, or could even be one of hubbies business associates that doesn''t know me. UGHHHHH.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2007 10:25:13 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Ok I get this a lot. Someone calls and says can I speak to your mom?? I say I am the mom.
11.gif
I have a very young sounding voice. Not an insult exactly but it does drive me nuts. It''s not just cold callers, it''s the dry cleaner, the hair salon, or could even be one of hubbies business associates that doesn''t know me. UGHHHHH.
OMG, me too! Thing is, I DON''T really have a young sounding voice, just seems to be when I answer the phone....

Skippy, I agree, I don''t know how someone could mistake Lynn for a guy.
6.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I sound young too so sometimes I pretend to be the sitter if a telemarketer calls!

When my oldest was 2 0r 3, and I was about 30, someone thought I was his nanny because in our L.A. preschool I was the youngest mom by about 10 years. Plus I looked like I was in my late teens or early 20's, dropped him off in sweats and no makeup, while a lot of the moms worked and dropped off all dressed up and put together. I called about a play date and the mom, not realizing I was the same person who dropped him off, said, yes, I spoke to your nanny about getting the kids together! I said, oh, the thin girl with the wavy blondish hair? She said yes, I said, well that would be me! She was so mortified!

Not sure if that was a compliment or not!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2007 1:03:14 PM
Author: Mara
when i was young ...and once we were in this shop and the owner turned to me and said 'hey sonny do you want a lollipop' and my mom was like 'she's a girl!!' and he was like 'oh sorry'...
3.gif
40.gif
This story reminded me of something that used to happen when I was in high school - you might say compliment or insult of my voice: My voice is, I guess some have called it "husky" for a girl. There was a girl in my class, who, when I would call her, her Mom would say, "Cathy, it's a boy.
31.gif
"
Her mom sounded kind of glad that her daughter was being noticed by a boy, and Cathy was sort of boy-crazy anyway, so she must have always been disappointed when it was just me!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

My worst insult and best compliment are definitely related.

Worst insult: I was a geeky late bloomer, and overweight teen. I didn’t have a real boyfriend until I was 19. When he broke up with me, he also broke my heart. He told me he couldn’t be with me because him mom thought that since I was overweight already, I’d be a cow after marriage and kids, and he’d be so ashamed to take me out in public.

That woman is the devil incarnate, but I’m also grateful for what she said cos…..She kick-started my path to getting healthier, and bettering myself. Because of her I got my master’s in nutrition, and lost 40lbs.

Best Compliment: My coworkers and my husband now call me a MILF ( I have 4 and 2 year old) and I work out 5 days a week thanks to my ex-boyfriend’s. I think that’s pretty cool compliment considering that I love in the “OC” in So Cal, and there’s lots of hot moms everywhere! As for the ex boyfriend….he’s 35, single, and unemployed (revenge is so sweet)!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
oh this thread is interesting, funny, touching and sad all at the same time!

Worst insult - I"m in 7th grade, everyone''s got permed, feathered hair, I have stick straight hair. I think I need a perm badly because my hair is so flat! I talk my mother into taking me to a local salon where all the new "just got out of hairdresser school" hairdressers go. I tell the girl not to perm my bangs too much because I need them long to cover my large forehead (a feature which I was really self conscious about). Well, she looks at it and says, "wow, yeah it is big, like Frankenstein!"
29.gif
And she was laughing like it was so funny! Not so funny when you''re a preteen self conscious about your looks. Ends up she permed the crap out of my hair, I looked like a poodle, and had to go back the next day to have it done again with larger curlers. Oh I am so glad straight hair is in!!!

Best compliments - most of what my husband has said about me being smart, beautiful, and caring. I think we all need to hear those things sometimes. Also the comments from a few of my teachers and professors about the quality of my schoolwork. Those were really important to me. Of course, any compliment about my son is important! Especially the ones where someone tells me how well behaved he is. It means a lot to me, too, because I try to teach him good manners and to be kind to others.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results