carat
color
clarity

(Future) Whitby Jet protects (x2)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
last night my knee hurt so i couldnt sleep
got up and looked at the bead board
i finally took the old fascated jet necklace apart, everything was so ugly, its so ugly i find it hard to beleave anyone ever wore it in this configeration
now im not sure that this is the right jet necklace for my cameo, i might stick it on the new jet i brought and now rejected to lengthen this necklace
this has been the strangest Journey , imangine how i would have been if it had been a pricey gem ?!!
anyway its all good practice
the new fascated jet beads are not the same quality as the round new jet beads with a lot more browny-green underones,

i think if i had not known how much i over paid for my origional necklaces i would have given up by now
but what is great about Jet is how light it is

ok i pulled the trigger ! (for this price only a toy cap gun:D )
but inspired by this little orange aventurine roses, my cameo and last night's kumera mash

1712449159594.jpeg
1712449276896.png
not that i realized it in time but the same people ive been buying the moss agate off -i should have brought some more of that too but at least postage is cheap from these guys

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
no way is orange a mourning colour !
and i was worried if i used flowers -not only where they too round but i'd be forever thinking funneral flowers
I will now bag the jet up again and await delivery before i deside if i need to go with a few gold filled spacers to get the length i can comfertably wear, i only want to use a few of the carnelian beads
i dont know anything about carnelian except it is the cheapest form of Chalcedony
i do see that it is a lot harder than jet so i will have to treat this necklace with care

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
it does look like i had thought about orange before !!!
1712452265787.jpeg
those are the ugly corral beads i used with a few of these new jet beads and the pearls to make that other funny wee necklace i actually wear quite often, but the rest of this jet is what im using for the newly invissoned cameo necklace
this is the cameo, i have not worn it for many any years
probably when i stopped wearing button down shirts
1712452636740.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i envissage a time when this tread will finally end
i have decided to forgo gold spacers and just go with 4 or 5 of the carnelian beads
and im going to get my guy to just put one of his ss catches on it and a bit more chain if i need more length -or an extra two orange beads if i need more length
the carnelin is quite big
hopefully its a nice orange and i will call it Tinky, in memorial to the ginger one, i lost the orange saphire and diamond ring that was in memorial to him
with the big chunky orange beads and less of them it will look sifficantly different to my other graduated round bead strand i alternated with rose quartz

i may have been looking at carnelian and silver rings on etsy .....

Beading, if nothing else, is SO much fun. I hope you enjoy those new beads and make something you truly love! And I hope your knee is feeling better!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
well my first lot of carnelin has arrived
its a lot more yellow than i was expecting
i cannot not have yellow because im not a Wellington rugby supporter (Otago colours are blue and gold -the colour of my heart) and we are having another terrible season as it is, fighting it out for the wooden spoon
but i will clear the bead board and see what they look like together with the jet

they are also smaller than i thought
1714102095277.png
1714102932210.jpeg
1714103000839.jpeg
1714103023960.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so phone not set up yet
its asking dumb questions like what is the wifi password (i dont know):x2

the back and orange dont look too ugly, not hallowean but also useful for hallowean

but im back to the same old thing
it still wants a pendant

and i feel the gemstone needs to be fascated
i could use that dyed moss agaite spider but its introducing another colour and it will look hallowean, comical and overly costume :lol-2:

so im thinking of this ?
its $63 but freight free from Australia
and i can justify this because i found out that carneilan is my alternitve birth stone

1714121899034.png
PENDANT -This Carnelian pendant is 4.3 Cms long (pendant height ) & 1 Cm wide (pendant width),
if it doesnt work with the jet necklace i'll just wear it as is

not that i beleave in any of this but interesting what is on the list and what ive been buying or wear

Last edited:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
so phone not set up yet

If your ISP is setting up the router for you and you're not managing it on your own at home, look at the router itself. Usually there will be a sticker on it with the password.

If you're managing it on your own at home, ask hubby/whoever takes care of the home network.

so im thinking of this ?
and i can justify this because i found out that carneilan is my alternitve birth stone

1714121899034.png

PENDANT -This Carnelian pendant is 4.3 Cms long (pendant height ) & 1 Cm wide (pendant width),

This is very pretty and you can definitely wear it on its own. I have one main concern with the design, though - the carnelian must be glued inside as I don't see anything else holding it in place. And glue dries out and loses its adhesive properties, and when that happens, the stone will fall out and you might lose it.

so phone not set up yet

the back and orange dont look too ugly, not hallowean but also useful for hallowean

but im back to the same old thing
it still wants a pendant

and i feel the gemstone needs to be fascated
i could use that dyed moss agaite spider but its introducing another colour and it will look hallowean, comical and overly costume :lol-2:

so im thinking of this ?

1714121899034.png

not that i beleave in any of this but interesting what is on the list and what ive been buying or wear

It looks like a flower bud. I like it... :cool2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If your ISP is setting up the router for you and you're not managing it on your own at home, look at the router itself. Usually there will be a sticker on it with the password.

If you're managing it on your own at home, ask hubby/whoever takes care of the home network.

This is very pretty and you can definitely wear it on its own. I have one main concern with the design, though - the carnelian must be glued inside as I don't see anything else holding it in place. And glue dries out and loses its adhesive properties, and when that happens, the stone will fall out and you might lose it.

hmmmm
very good point
thank you

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so i was thinking about this in the night - i can never sleep after playing with the bead board
and all i could think of was i don't want a necklace that looks like the Tiger tea bus

My parents didnt drink tea but tiger tea was a brand when i was a kid, back in a simpler less commercial time, when the buses were run by the Dunedin city corparation there was the tiger tea bus, when i was little it was a trolley bus and i was scared of them as the pentagrah things used to bang on the back window
i think this bus (or one of its brothers) is actually in the Otago early settlers museum in the transport display
1714190164046.png
so im thinking i might try 4mm carnelian beads as spacers instead
1714198886415.png

Then I wanted to share this one I made recently, since this is sort of turning into a bead enthusiast post, which I love. Pink tourm with gold "stardust" beads and an XL spring ring closure.

ETA: The center bead looks like it has black in it, but that is just a reflection of my phone.

Pink tourmaline and gold beaded necklace.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Then I wanted to share this one I made recently, since this is sort of turning into a bead enthusiast post, which I love. Pink tourm with gold "stardust" beads and an XL spring ring closure.

ETA: The center bead looks like it has black in it, but that is just a reflection of my phone.

Pink tourmaline and gold beaded necklace.jpg

:appl::appl::appl::appl:you have to wear this on Wednesday Autumn :kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I was looking through my necklaces to see if I had made anything orange... I found these three necklaces (I kept one and sold two). The beads are carnelian, agate, peach aventurine, red jasper, and red tiger's eye.

Various agates, carnelian, red jasper, peach aventurine, and red tiger's eye beaded necklace.JPG

oh those are lovely, do they have a mid century vibe ?
all your creations are welcome on any thread of mine
i have no idea how close my lap top screen is to reality, colour wise.
i would want to wear all three at once but maybe that would be too heavy

you know i ordered some tiny orange and green aventurine carved rose beads last week to see what they look like

i love orange, ever since i was in primmer 4 (Year 2 or 3 nowdays) and we made Ernest Shackelton's (ill fated Antartic explorer) Endurance, out of paper machet in the back of the classroom and i painted my cabin orange
i always like to have something orange in my wardrobe

the trouble is i have never seen carnelian in the flesh so to speak until now
As i said a few times, im learning (about everything - you know i cant even pronounce half these stones), but as i have a minmiscal budget at least ive got nothing to loose and everything to learn and it is fun, the main thing im awaear of and try not to compromise on is the shipping cost

i really want a nice orange, not dyed, but what came on thursday look muddy to me, but ive not looked at it in outside light yet,
but what i like about carnelian is that it is something that has been used as jewllery for like thousands of years and the Victorians definatly used it, so in my mind it is a natural pairing with the antique Jet

You know my tiny fascated larima turned out to be dyed quartz,
as i was sooooooooooo disapointed i posted about it, i got a lecture from someone telling me what did i expect for that kind of money ?
-well year its not like im repairing the crown jewles here, im just making stuff i am attached to but that for what ever reason dont/ cannot wear, into something i will enjoy wearing

anyway its all practice for one day when i buy more expensive gems and will not want to make mistakes

more then once i wished i had not brought this jet,
but you know it has enetertained me a lot, i cant give up on it at the last hurdle even if i have to carry my horse down the final straight

so today's thoughts while i had a long hot shower on a cold day, is to have a play around with the placement of the contrast beads -dont want everything to look the same
im still toying with a central element pendant, i keep going back to those tree of life copper wire wrapped pendants, if i wear them for a few days the copper goes black .......googerling carnelian wire wrapped etsy,

this isnt a tree of life but i like the length of the actual pendant
its 82 mm
1714270840899.png
the stone is not not fascited but maybe i have been too focused on that
im not at all worried that the carnelian might become the main event rather than the jet, the jet will just be greatful to be happy and to have fun

Last edited:
oh those are lovely, do they have a mid century vibe ?
all your creations are welcome on any thread of mine
i have no idea how close my lap top screen is to reality, colour wise.
i would want to wear all three at once but maybe that would be too heavy

you know i ordered some tiny orange and green aventurine carved rose beads last week to see what they look like

i love orange, ever since i was in primmer 4 (Year 2 or 3 nowdays) and we made Ernest Shackelton's (ill fated Antartic explorer) Endurance, out of paper machet in the back of the classroom and i painted my cabin orange
i always like to have something orange in my wardrobe

the trouble is i have never seen carnelian in the flesh so to speak until now
As i said a few times, im learning (about everything - you know i cant even pronounce half these stones), but as i have a minmiscal budget at least ive got nothing to loose and everything to learn and it is fun, the main thing im awaear of and try not to compromise on is the shipping cost

i really want a nice orange, not dyed, but what came on thursday look muddy to me, but ive not looked at it in outside light yet,
but what i like about carnelian is that it is something that has been used as jewllery for like thousands of years and the Victorians definatly used it, so in my mind it is a natural pairing with the antique Jet

You know my tiny fascated larima turned out to be dyed quartz,
as i was sooooooooooo disapointed i posted about it, i got a lecture from someone telling me what did i expect for that kind of money ?
-well year its not like im repairing the crown jewles here, im just making stuff i am attached to but that for what ever reason dont/ cannot wear, into something i will enjoy wearing

anyway its all practice for one day when i buy more expensive gems and will not want to make mistakes

more then once i wished i had not brought this jet,
but you know it has enetertained me a lot, i cant give up on it at the last hurdle even if i have to carry my horse down the final straight

so today's thoughts while i had a long hot shower on a cold day, is to have a play around with the placement of the contrast beads -dont want everything to look the same
im still toying with a central element pendant, i keep going back to those tree of life copper wire wrapped pendants, if i wear them for a few days the copper goes black .......googerling carnelian wire wrapped etsy,

this isnt a tree of life but i like the length of the actual pendant
its 82 mm
1714270840899.png
the stone is not not fascited but maybe i have been too focused on that
im not at all worried that the carnelian might become the main event rather than the jet, the jet will just be greatful to be happy and to have fun

I love the look of copper... love it... but yeah, it requires some maintenance, which can be a pain.

I also love your animated style of story telling. I could listen to it all day. :geek2:

Beading is supposed to be fun, as you said, and not too stuffy (like the crown jewels you mentioned lol). So don't be afraid to experiment. I've put some strange colors together and loved the result!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the look of copper... love it... but yeah, it requires some maintenance, which can be a pain.

I also love your animated style of story telling. I could listen to it all day. :geek2:

Beading is supposed to be fun, as you said, and not too stuffy (like the crown jewels you mentioned lol). So don't be afraid to experiment. I've put some strange colors together and loved the result!
Thank you Autumn

speaking of crown jewels, at the time my friend and i were astounded when Princess Diana mixed pink with orange !
1714271819674.png
edited to add, DI needs a brooch :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
well i played around with the placement of the carnelian beads and it looks less like the tiger tea bus now thank goodness, it definatly wants a pendant
its only an orange beat every two and three jet beads now, i did try with just 12 orange beads i the front but the carnelian beads are just a bit smaller and it didnt quite look right

i'll tell you what does look good and maybe its because of Princess Di, but i have a stray pink quartz bead in with a few of the carnelian with some gold filled spacers .....
could be a bracelet ......
for another day ....
i think it has to be a shorter necklace .....

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
well im chatting about this here because i only have rose quartz beads because of the (finished) other Whitby Jet necklace

the round rose quartz and the chunky fascated carnelian with gold spacers look amazing, and i have a little (over priced mall jeweler) 9k heart charm bead that will make a nice focal point

as an aside im using up some of the other left over rose quartz beads with some pearls and some pink daisy charms

well im chatting about this here because i only have rose quartz beads because of the (finished) other Whitby Jet necklace

the round rose quartz and the chunky fascated carnelian with gold spacers look amazing, and i have a little (over priced mall jeweler) 9k heart charm bead that will make a nice focal point

as an aside im using up some of the other left over rose quartz beads with some pearls and some pink daisy charms

I look forward to seeing pix when you're ready!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
getting back to that problomatic fascated jet necklace
i am going with a pendant and just sucked up the UK shipping
im hoping because the actual gem stone has obveouse fascaets that it will do what i want it to 1714633103572.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
apart from the knotting and the new clasp i think i am finally finished with buying elements for the fascated necklace, i had to buy some 6mm disco type spacers in ss, last night
1714807827238.png

i still have a few things up my sleeve with the new Navajo Jet but they are new projects
im glad i can no longer remember what i paid for the Victorian Whitby Jet apart from that it was too much,
but if i wear them its all fine and good
i have learnt plenty from these two projects

Jet is such a lovely material, it deserves more love and a lot less Queen Victoria connotations
as a necklace jet is so wonderful and light

Last edited:
I love using jet because it is naturally black (unlike 99% of onyx/agate, which is dyed). It's soft, but perfect for beading!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just need to talk to myself a bit
sigh
things seem to be taking so long to get here so i can finish this project
i want to be wowed by it but im kinda losing some enthusiam
not for Jet, just this fasceted necklace

a really happy thing about this thread is my other jet necklaces i have/will get from left overs
i have my funny wee (but addorabel to me) necklace of corral, jet and pearl, then the
the Malachite and jet i am particulalry happy with (its in being strung with gold filled spacer beads and knotted)
and then i have found a home for my cameo i have had for many years, need some suitable gold spacers for that, just a few to break up the black, i dont want everything to look the same
and lastly i have loads of beads left for a rope, but also with gold spacers so it doesnt look like a funeral

i know all those ones will look great to my taste and i will enjoy wearing them
this other current problem child i just want to love it
the other day on the way to the jeweller i walked past a cool little 2nd hand shop, its quite an eclectic collection of wee shops in that street just of the man street (sorry Avenue)
there was a whole display of custume beaded necklaces
sigh
in other news the crystal shop on the Avenue has closed, the town is doing ti tough right now, in fact the western end is quite depressed looking with a lot of empty shops before we zip up the hill to the posh peeps where i wok

anyway i have been googerling contempory jet jewellery - not to buy but just for reassurance

Good news my jeweller is so busy doing repairs and sizing im in a queue

i just need to talk to myself a bit
sigh
things seem to be taking so long to get here so i can finish this project
i want to be wowed by it but im kinda losing some enthusiam
not for Jet, just this fasceted necklace

a really happy thing about this thread is my other jet necklaces i have/will get from left overs
i have my funny wee (but addorabel to me) necklace of corral, jet and pearl, then the
the Malachite and jet i am particulalry happy with (its in being strung with gold filled spacer beads and knotted)
and then i have found a home for my cameo i have had for many years, need some suitable gold spacers for that, just a few to break up the black, i dont want everything to look the same
and lastly i have loads of beads left for a rope, but also with gold spacers so it doesnt look like a funeral

i know all those ones will look great to my taste and i will enjoy wearing them
this other current problem child i just want to love it
the other day on the way to the jeweller i walked past a cool little 2nd hand shop, its quite an eclectic collection of wee shops in that street just of the man street (sorry Avenue)
there was a whole display of custume beaded necklaces
sigh
in other news the crystal shop on the Avenue has closed, the town is doing ti tough right now, in fact the western end is quite depressed looking with a lot of empty shops before we zip up the hill to the posh peeps where i wok

anyway i have been googerling contempory jet jewellery - not to buy but just for reassurance

Good news my jeweller is so busy doing repairs and sizing im in a queue

The nice thing about beading is that you can leave a project for a bit, and then return with renewed enthusiasm. A little rearranging here and some additions or subtractions there, and you'll be excited to string the piece. That's the fun of a bead board... she just kind of lets you set the pace. :bigsmile:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The nice thing about beading is that you can leave a project for a bit, and then return with renewed enthusiasm. A little rearranging here and some additions or subtractions there, and you'll be excited to string the piece. That's the fun of a bead board... she just kind of lets you set the pace. :bigsmile:

cats also think that bead boards are fun ...
so today by little pendant arrived
i certainly quite like it (wish it was a tiny bit bigger) ok i wish it was a fanta garnet :lol-2:
1715229597735.png
you are dead right my friend about rearranging pieces, the jet is 3 different sizes
the silver spacers are in the air winging their way to NZ as i type

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results