shape
carat
color
clarity

Half-eternity owners: Are .07 pointers too big for a .50 ct solitaire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
My rings are size 6. The solitaire band measures 3mm at the widest, tapering to 2mm at the top next to the stone. The Signed Pieces ring measures 2.6mm.

With the 11 stones, they cover the entire top half of my finger. It looks like a full eternity. The stones are set very low, and they don''t cause any discomfort at all.
4.gif

Date: 9/24/2006 12:07:52 AM
Author: zhuzhu
Can someone please post a pic of a 7 pointer half/while eternity band with their e-ring? Thanks!!!

Well, darn! The one time someone asks for a picture of something I own, and I can''t do it.
8.gif
My e-ring is being sized, so all I have is a 7-stone .56 ctw diamond band. Will be another week before it comes back. If you are still looking, I will post a picture to this thread.

Date: 9/24/2006 3:52:06 PM
Author: Oleander

Can someone please post a pic of a 7 pointer half/while eternity band with their e-ring? Thanks!!!

Well, darn! The one time someone asks for a picture of something I own, and I can''t do it.
8.gif
My e-ring is being sized, so all I have is a 7-stone .56 ctw diamond band. Will be another week before it comes back. If you are still looking, I will post a picture to this thread.

Oleander, please do post pics when you get your ring back! That''ll make me and zhuzhu very happy.
2.gif

8.gif
Oleander,

Would you mind posting a large pic of your 8 pointer diamond band for now? How wide is each of the 8 pointer?

Thanks!!!

I was just looking at diamond bands as well to go with a 1.6 ct. diamond set in a 3mm band. I do think the width of the band as well as the size of the e-ring diamond needs to be taken into consideration. I first fell in love with a Tiffany 7 stone with 8 pointers, which sounds like Oleander''s band. That was tried on with a Tiffany knife edge e-ring at a little under 2.5mm. It looked good. Ultimately I set the diamond in a 3mm solitare, and I bought a 7 stone Memoire band with 10 pointers. The 10 pointers were great with my center stone and about the same width as the e-ring. In thinking of a half carat stone, I would go with smaller diamonds in the band because I think larger ones will make the center stone look small. So I''d probably go with the size that SP recommended which was 5 pointers (?). I think the 8 pointers would look best with a .75 or larger stone, personally.

Date: 9/24/2006 5:17:00 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I was just looking at diamond bands as well to go with a 1.6 ct. diamond set in a 3mm band. I do think the width of the band as well as the size of the e-ring diamond needs to be taken into consideration. I first fell in love with a Tiffany 7 stone with 8 pointers, which sounds like Oleander''s band. That was tried on with a Tiffany knife edge e-ring at a little under 2.5mm. It looked good. Ultimately I set the diamond in a 3mm solitare, and I bought a 7 stone Memoire band with 10 pointers. The 10 pointers were great with my center stone and about the same width as the e-ring. In thinking of a half carat stone, I would go with smaller diamonds in the band because I think larger ones will make the center stone look small. So I''d probably go with the size that SP recommended which was 5 pointers (?). I think the 8 pointers would look best with a .75 or larger stone, personally.

That''s true... I recently tried on (again!) .05''s and .04''s at alocal B&M... I though it was good proportion, but the whole thing just looked like a "small" set, because my RB isn''t big enough to command attention on its own. Kinda like my old set (.39 RB + 7 .04''s) ... very understated. While the 7 - 10 pointers made my set look like more "bling" or maybe, gave it more "presence" - kinda like - "hey, look at me!" the downside though was that yes, my center stone just blended in and didn''t stand out as much. I guess I''m confused in what I want - do I want my center stone to stand out or the whole thing to stand out? Aaargh!
33.gif
Which would you pick?

and oh, ds2006, can you post a picture of your set? sounds pretty.
1.gif

Thanks, Jennie! Actually, my rings aren''t ready yet. I just picked them out a week ago! But there is a very dim picture of my diamond sitting in a sample setting next to the band with 10 pointers which I''ll attach to give you an idea. But as soon as I get them, I''ll be posting in SMTR!!! (oh, and I wear about a 5 3/8, and 7 stones more than covers the top of my finger. The 9 stone was half, but I did not think it was as comfortable.)

KPBoth sets_4.jpg

Date: 9/24/2006 5:48:43 PM
Thanks, Jennie! Actually, my rings aren''t ready yet. I just picked them out a week ago! But there is a very dim picture of my diamond sitting in a sample setting next to the band with 10 pointers which I''ll attach to give you an idea. But as soon as I get them, I''ll be posting in SMTR!!! (oh, and I wear about a 5 3/8, and 7 stones more than covers the top of my finger. The 9 stone was half, but I did not think it was as comfortable.)

ds2006, your rings don''t just sound pretty, they look pretty! me likey!!
30.gif

Here''s a 0.46 ct stone on a temp setting on top of my FI''s 7 stone (0.08 ct each). I scaled the picture so it''s close to being actual size on a 1024 x 768 resolution screen monitor. I know some PSers like to put their hands over the monitor and imagine how the ring might look on their hand.
3.gif
The ring size is 5.5. Hope this helps.

13ba0.jpg

Date: 9/30/2006 5:39:54 AM
Author: whatmeworry
Here''s a 0.46 ct stone on a temp setting on top of my FI''s 7 stone (0.08 ct each). I scaled the picture so it''s close to being actual size on a 1024 x 768 resolution screen monitor. I know some PSers like to put their hands over the monitor and imagine how the ring might look on their hand.
3.gif
The ring size is 5.5. Hope this helps.

Oh my gosh, whatmeworry, you are a GENIUS! My hand''s all over the monitor! LOL. That''s definitely close to what I''m planning to get. I like the look of the "chunky" stones and it doesn''t seem to overpower the solitaire. Pretty indeed. If it''s not too much to ask, could you post hand pics and close-ups too?
1.gif

How do the 7 stones cover her finger? Do they go down to the sides?

Thanks again,

Jen

Okay, this is my hand doing the modeling. I''m safe keeping some of the rings I got her so that''s why I''m doing the modeling. Hey does my finger look fat to you?
23.gif
Left pinky finger is size six. (No I do not have pinky rings, but it''s her ring size and it makes it easy for me to buy her rings
3.gif
)

Okay from the top is a 7 stone- 8 points each. Then a 46 pointer. Then an eternity with 7 pointers (1.51 ctw). The 7 stone is from Signed Pieces and covers rougly on a clock 10:30 to 1:30

z123.jpg

I have a burning question!

If you pair a solitaire with an eternity band -- will that make the diamond pop more?
Or will it pop more if the solitaire setting also has diamonds matching the eternity band?

I used to think the former, but now I think beautiful settings like Mara''s make it pop MUCH more! I am loving that look SO much more than my plain setting!

Date: 9/24/2006 4:40:28 PM
Author: jenniegirlm

Well, darn! The one time someone asks for a picture of something I own, and I can't do it.
8.gif

Oleander, please do post pics when you get your ring back! That'll make me and zhuzhu very happy.
2.gif

My husband _finally_ brought his camera home from the office and we too some pictures for this thread. Sorry about the wait. We took them showing the whole hand so you could get perspective of the size on the finger. I still don't have my engagement ring (1.06 ct.), it's being sized up. The band is seven stones, 0.56 ctw, size 5.5:

IMG_6679.jpg

IMG_6680.jpg

IMG_6689.jpg

IMG_6695.jpg

Oleander,

What a lovely 8 pointer you have. Is it about 2.8 mm across each diamond? or is it more? Is it from Signed pieces? I have size 5 finger, do you think this style will cover almost half of my ring finger??

Thanks so much!!!

Date: 10/1/2006 7:10:24 PM
Oleander,

What a lovely 8 pointer you have. Is it about 2.8 mm across each diamond? or is it more? Is it from Signed pieces? I have size 5 finger, do you think this style will cover almost half of my ring finger??

Thanks so much!!!

Yes, it''s approximately 3mm across when i crudely measure with a measuring tape.
It''s from Tiffany, so it may be the same band that Signed Pieces sells under their Tiffany section.
Top-down view all I see are stones, but the stones do not cover half my finger circumference. More like 3/8.

Hope this helps!
1.gif

Oh, I do love that ring, Oleander! I was really leaning toward that exact ring from Tiffany until I tried on the Memoire and found it to be set low and as nice in quality. I wear about a 5 1/4 to 5 1/2, and I found the 7 stone with 8 pointers nicely covered the top of my finger. I ended up going with 10 pointers, so they even go a little farther around. I did not need a 9 stone with 10 pointers. So you might consider that as well, Jennie.

Date: 10/1/2006 9:45:27 PM
Oh, I do love that ring, Oleander! I was really leaning toward that exact ring from Tiffany until I tried on the Memoire and found it to be set low and as nice in quality...

Thank you, diamondseeker2006. You helped me choose this stone size when you mentioned your own search for a band, and what size stones would look appropriate. Good advice, thanks.

Got my e-ring back. here's what a 7-stone, 0.56 ctw band looks like in proportion to 1.06 carat solitaire:

DSCN1268_1.jpg

Hope this helps you in your choice.
1.gif
Let me know if you want a whole hand shot for perspective. Sometimes it's hard to guage from a close-up.

Thanks Oleander,
That photo is EXTREMLY helpful. It helped me realize that maybe I do not need to go for a 8 pointer. May I ask again how wide each of the diamond is? Did you purchase it from Signed Pieces?
THANKS!

Date: 10/4/2006 4:35:48 PM
Thanks Oleander,

That photo is EXTREMLY helpful. It helped me realize that maybe I do not need to go for a 8 pointer. May I ask again how wide each of the diamond is? Did you purchase it from Signed Pieces?

THANKS!

Each stone is approximately 3mm, but that''s not exact: I am using a measuring tape for sewing!
31.gif
The ring was purchased from Tiffany & Co.

Oleander, I am thinking it might be a tad under 3mm, because the one I am getting with 10 pointers is 3mm. I think you chose the perfect size to go with your e-ring!!! Your rings are gorgeous!!! Mine is going to look basically the same as yours other than being in wg. I just decided that I loved that classic look and wouldn't get tired of the style. All the choices were too mind-boggling for me!

ETA: I am sure the SP 7 stone is not set as low as the Tiffany as I look at the picture of the SP 7 stone basket setting. The Tiffany stones are barely above the height of the rest of the band, while the SP baskets are much higher than the rest of the band. As much as I love SP, I just really wanted the lower set band, which meant going with Tiffany or Memoire. Maybe Oleander can post a side view. Or I might have one saved. I'll look.

Date: 9/30/2006 3:08:59 AM
Author: jenniegirlm

Date: 9/24/2006 5:48:43 PM

ds2006, your rings don''t just sound pretty, they look pretty! me likey!!
30.gif
Thanks, Jennie! I hope to have better pictures very soon!

Okay, here is a side view of the Tiffany showing how low the stones are set.

wbandbasket (5).jpg

http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=3783

This is the 7 pointer that interests me, but I don''t think it sits any higher than the Tiffany basket setting.. What do you think?

Date: 10/4/2006 6:23:33 PM
Okay, here is a side view of the Tiffany showing how low the stones are set.

Diamondseeker, HELP!! Help me!!! I''ve fallen into the Tiffany trap!
39.gif
My husband and I went to the Tiffany store to try on their 7-stone, and WE both fell absolutely in love with it! It''s the perect ring. Actually, it''s THE ring. It''s the only ring we both agreed on. The thing is, it of course costs $5,500. It was the .91 ctw, which makes it .13''s each; I know they sound big but they really matched my e-ring. They didn''t seem to overpower it at all. And it looks pretty on it''s own! I only dragged my DH to T&Co because I wanted to try out the ring before I ordered the similar one from SP. SP has a .93 ctw in 7 stones for only $1700. The only thing is that when I had T&Co measure the thickness and width of the ring, it came to a 2.0 mm thickness and a 2.0 mm width. It came just under the surprise diamond of my e-ring. SP measures at a 3.8 width and 2.6 thickness. It sounds like a big difference! What should I do?!?! Will other vendors such as Quest (I saw sevensone''s band at one of your old threads) make an EXACT or near-EXACT copy of the T&Co ring? Did you buy a Memoire band or did you buy the Tiffany one?

Waaah!
40.gif

Oleander, your rings are gorgeous by the way! I love how your band looks on your pretty and slender fingers. You could be a hand model! Thanks for posting!

Whatmeworry, sorry I can''t say the same thing about your hands! Just kidding.
5.gif
I really like the 7-stone band and how it matches your FI''s e-ring stone. Thanks again.

Jen

BTW, ds2006, I posted a new thread about the T&Co ring to get more replies - if you want to reply you could just do it there.
1.gif
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results