shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Asscher Decision

Asschers seem to be the most difficult gem to find in LGD! I’ve seen so many people buy and return many.

OP would you consider maybe a square hearts and arrows or other square cut, like an antique cushion? I think those are easier to buy with just images and video.

What's your budget and desired size/color @dougherty90 ?

Ironically, my budget is creeping up as I search! I’m hoping to keep it below 4k for a diamond between 3.5 and 4.0 carats. I found a couple of options that I’m waiting to hear back from Susan at LGD about. Here’s my latest ‘finds’:

https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG604393798

The first one is HPHT with a faint blue nuance and I can’t decide if it looks weird?

Asschers seem to be the most difficult gem to find in LGD! I’ve seen so many people buy and return many.

OP would you consider maybe a square hearts and arrows or other square cut, like an antique cushion? I think those are easier to buy with just images and video.

I’m not quite ready to throw in the towel yet but I have been thinking about a cushion cut.

Ironically, my budget is creeping up as I search! I’m hoping to keep it below 4k for a diamond between 3.5 and 4.0 carats. I found a couple of options that I’m waiting to hear back from Susan at LGD about. Here’s my latest ‘finds’:

The first one is HPHT with a faint blue nuance and I can’t decide if it looks weird?

Your finding a bunch of stones by the same cutter with the same issue.
The first pavilion step is over steep then the rest shallow.
The green arrow points to the row of facets they are cutting too steep and long.
The yellow arrows point to the ones they are cutting shallow.
The ratio among the steps in the wire outline I posted is much better than what they are doing.
page-24image1.jpg

If you are looking for an Asscher for the steps, I would consider emeralds before going with other square cuts.

I’m a fan of blue nuance in colorless H&A rounds, but not step cuts. The blue tint is really obvious in the corners, and not something you would want if you are looking for a warmer stone.

Do you need to use loose grown? I found a few I like on brilliance.com that I can link if you'd like

If you are looking for an Asscher for the steps, I would consider emeralds before going with other square cuts.

I’m a fan of blue nuance in colorless H&A rounds, but not step cuts. The blue tint is really obvious in the corners, and not something you would want if you are looking for a warmer stone.

I though OP wanted a stone to fit an existing setting but people do seem to have more luck looking for ECs!

I though OP wanted a stone to fit an existing setting but people do seem to have more luck looking for ECs!

I have a setting that currently has a crummy Asscher CZ in it and I'm looking to replace it. And while this is proving to be harder than I thought, I'm going to persevere. It's actually kind of entertaining......like a never ending thrift-shop hunt.

Do you need to use loose grown? I found a few I like on brilliance.com that I can link if you'd like

I haven't looked at Brilliance before -- I was using LGD because that's the website that seemed to have the most diamonds. Thanks for helping!

Your finding a bunch of stones by the same cutter with the same issue.
The first pavilion step is over steep then the rest shallow.
The green arrow points to the row of facets they are cutting too steep and long.
The yellow arrows point to the ones they are cutting shallow.
The ratio among the steps in the wire outline I posted is much better than what they are doing.
page-24image1.jpg

Well, at least I'm consistent in finding sub-standardly cut Asschers....kind of like the anti-@Karl_K!

Well, at least I'm consistent in finding sub-standardly cut Asschers....kind of like the anti-@Karl_K!
I am sorry about the tone of my post I am annoyed at the company producing them not at you but that was not clear.
Again sorry.
My intent was to give you the information to eliminate them yourself.

I have a setting that currently has a crummy Asscher CZ in it and I'm looking to replace it. And while this is proving to be harder than I thought, I'm going to persevere. It's actually kind of entertaining......like a never ending thrift-shop hunt.

What size do you need?

I am sorry about the tone of my post I am annoyed at the company producing them not at you but that was not clear.
Again sorry.
My intent was to give you the information to eliminate them yourself.

You've been super helpful and I can't get over how much I've learned in a couple of weeks. It has to be frustrating to see so many crummy Asschers out there, especially when you know what a good one should look like.

And I just went totally rogue and bought one last night! I figure since it's darn near impossible to figure out if it's a good diamond from a video, I should see it in person. And honestly, I found it on Rare Carat for 11K (ridiculous price), did a search and found it at Daniel Williams for 1,700 and the bargain hunter in me got excited so I bought it. We'll see what happens.....

Here's the details: https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG635425395

What size do you need?

I'm looking for a stone between 8 MM and 9 MM -- the ring currently has a 3 carat asscher in it but it's a CZ so I don't know the exact dimensions.

You've been super helpful and I can't get over how much I've learned in a couple of weeks. It has to be frustrating to see so many crummy Asschers out there, especially when you know what a good one should look like.

And I just went totally rogue and bought one last night! I figure since it's darn near impossible to figure out if it's a good diamond from a video, I should see it in person. And honestly, I found it on Rare Carat for 11K (ridiculous price), did a search and found it at Daniel Williams for 1,700 and the bargain hunter in me got excited so I bought it. We'll see what happens.....

Here's the details: https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG635425395

And if that one looks bad, I'm doing a 180 and buying one of these -- they are D color and HPHT...waitng to hear back from the infamous LGD Susan about windowing but there is a festival in India so the diamond cutters are busy. https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG2486655811

And if that one looks bad, I'm doing a 180 and buying one of these -- they are D color and HPHT...waitng to hear back from the infamous LGD Susan about windowing but there is a festival in India so the diamond cutters are busy. https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG2486655811
Those are likely going to look a bit dead in the center.

My thread has links to spin videos of 3 well cut ones if you want some examples of good ones.

Those are likely going to look a bit dead in the center.

My thread has links to spin videos of 3 well cut ones if you want some examples of good ones.

Oh my goodness — you struck pay dirt with that 4 carat Asscher. And I see what you’re saying about the middle of the stones….now that I saw yours.

Well, you buy a diamond and the floodgates open with advice, good advice. Good for you, taking this step. Let us know how you like it.
The Asscher posted by 0-0-0 above is just remarkable. The only other i've seen that's that stunning was at Diamonds by Lauren and it was well over 20K.

3.99 for me. It lights up nicely.

Two more in the direct sunlight — 3.99 carat first and 4.01 carat last. The 3.99 has some windowing in the sunlight— is this a concern?

IMG_4379.jpegIMG_4381.jpeg

Hmm I like both but I think I prefer the 3.99

I have both of them in the ring holders and the longer I look at them -- the 4.01 keeps getting my attention.

Are you able to post and images or videos with both stones together? Perhaps resting in between two fingers?

The 3.99 is on the right and the 4.01 is on theleft. What do you think? I’m undecided but the 3.99 has more windowing -and also a little more sparkling-ness. IMG_4384.jpegIMG_4385.jpeg

I agree, and would keep the minor windowing more pleasing one over the contrasty 4.01.
That said, it's whatever you like.

Yeah,the side by side confirmed my preference for the 3.99

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results