shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Asscher Decision

I don't know where it was found but a search using the cert # came up with

I should have thought of that myself - thanks for the link! Up until last week, I had no idea lab grown diamonds even existed and this has been quite a learning experience!

I keep coming back to the 3.99 as well but Susan at LGD said it has 'a windowing'. I think I'll just order it and see for myself. Shopping online for an Asscher seems to be a good way to make a person nutso!

But you end up with "your diamond" not just "a diamond". Plus the results of the hunt can be spectacular!

Wonderful! Can't wait.
Wish I'd known about Karl when I first became interested in Asschers. You have a leg up.

Wonderful! Can't wait.
Wish I'd known about Karl when I first became interested in Asschers. You have a leg up.

Tell me about it — I didn’t know LG diamonds existed until last week! I have a a ring I bought about 20 years ago at Better than Diamond that has an Asscher CZ and it just never looked right and I don’t wear it. I have a feeling I’ll be wearing it a lot more once I swap out the stones. I attached a IMG_4289.pngphoto of the ring, I can’t wait to see it with the new stone!!

They say you can’t judge a book by its cover and I guess it’s tru that you can’t judge an Asscher by its video. It arrived yesterday and I see quite a bit of windowing but wanted to run it by you all — need some expert eyes on this diamond! What do you think? Thanks!!
IMG_4341.jpegIMG_4337.jpegIMG_4342.jpegIMG_4338.jpegIMG_4335.jpeg

Sticking my uneducated head up, I don't think it's that bad. I believe they all (steps) have a tilt window, I don't see much of your finger thru it. Does it dance when you tilt it back and forth?
Hold until you get more informed opinions.

They say you can’t judge a book by its cover and I guess it’s tru that you can’t judge an Asscher by its video. It arrived yesterday and I see quite a bit of windowing but wanted to run it by you all — need some expert eyes on this diamond! What do you think? Thanks!!
IMG_4341.jpegIMG_4337.jpegIMG_4342.jpegIMG_4338.jpegIMG_4335.jpeg

Yes you never know for sure until you see it in person and have more data.
Which is why I said it was worth looking at in person,
This one was a bit of a miss.
Its not horrid but its not what I was hoping to see either.

dougherty90, there you have it. Please don't be discouraged, you have a great resource here with Karl, the best. Keep looking.

The good news is that I know what I like in an Asscher and I know what to look for, thanks to you all. LGD only accepts two returns per customer per year so either I have to be absolutely sure when I get another one or find another place to buy one. Either way, I’m back on the hunt! I’ll
Post some links — because all asscher hunters need help!

There is a 3.27 I at whiteflash.

I've looked at least 500 more and I only saw one that I thought might be ok'd by Karl and the other experts. If you win the lottery have them take a look.
I'll buy a few tickets tomorrow and if I win I'll buy it for you.

Last edited:
There is a 3.27 I at whiteflash.

I've looked at least 500 more and I only saw one that I thought might be ok'd by Karl and the other experts. If you win the lottery have them take a look.
I'll buy a few tickets tomorrow and if I win I'll buy it for you.

It figures that I would choose a diamond shape that is super tricky....but it's the journey, not the destination, right? That's assuming the destination doesn't have any windowing and it cut correctly!

So, I poked round a little this weekend and found a couple of options -- would love your thoughts!

If you are open to ones with less color I think this has potential.

Dumb question for Karl - when an Asscher gets this big does anything change besides clarity issues? I know if you take a small sexy sportscar and make it into a sedan size, it doesn't work aesthetically, powertrain considerations aside.

OP have you looked at this one?

That's a good looking diamond but I find Asschers without any color look a little glass-ey (if that's a word??). My sweet spot is F color.....

Dumb question for Karl - when an Asscher gets this big does anything change besides clarity issues? I know if you take a small sexy sportscar and make it into a sedan size, it doesn't work aesthetically, powertrain considerations aside.

This could explain all the issues I'm learning about (and you all have pointed out). Maybe I'm trying to find a stone unicorn -- a MG convertible re-imagined as a F250?? I'm emailing with Susan at LGD and sending her SKUs to look at/tell me if there is any windowing but she's unable to comment on the liveliness/light return of the diamond. I only have one more return with them so I also need to find another vendor. Man, this Asscher hunt is taking a while!

Little issues that at 1ct are fine can at 4ct be a problem so cut precision becomes even more critical.
Reaction to obstruction is also more fussy
The bigger the stone the bigger the potential appearance flaws.
Im not at my pc to check vids.

This could explain all the issues I'm learning about (and you all have pointed out). Maybe I'm trying to find a stone unicorn -- a MG convertible re-imagined as a F250?? I'm emailing with Susan at LGD and sending her SKUs to look at/tell me if there is any windowing but she's unable to comment on the liveliness/light return of the diamond. I only have one more return with them so I also need to find another vendor. Man, this Asscher hunt is taking a while!

Great analogy. I believe if you would look at, say, 1.5 ct. up to 3 ct. Asschers you'd find many, many more appealing stones. And a really good one will make you forget about the whoppers.
There probably are such unicorns but they're owned by Graff.

It figures that I would choose a diamond shape that is super tricky....but it's the journey, not the destination, right? That's assuming the destination doesn't have any windowing and it cut correctly!
O no, it's the destination that makes the long journey worth it. And the view, O the view, it's spectacular!

And just think, two years from now "it" will be too small and you'll get to do it all over again!

So....I've narrowed it down to three options, @Karl_K, I you are at your computer, will you take a look and let me know your thoughts? I'm hoping for a recommendation for a stone that has the best chance to look lively and not leaky in person. Thanks in advance!

So....I've narrowed it down to three options, @Karl_K, I you are at your computer, will you take a look and let me know your thoughts? I'm hoping for a recommendation for a stone that has the best chance to look lively and not leaky in person. Thanks in advance!

none of them are that great
The last 2 the p1 facets are over steep and deep with the p2 an p3 facets shallow.
The first has other issues.

Thanks for your assessment Karl -- I appreciate it! Are the issues with the first one big enough that it's not worth ordering it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results