shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey guys (and girls)... would like some stud input, please.

Which stud style?

• Milgrain bezel

• Six claw prongs

• Something else (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Received the diamond from Adam today, and it's an awesome match! More importantly, I just really love the stone. On paper, it was nearly exact, but you never know about performance in person. If I were to be super picky, I'd say mine has a tiny bit more obstruction and the facet pattern is somewhat chunkier (the culet is also a touch larger). I tried to take a vid showing them looking their most different. But in person, you'd never know they weren't a true pair (my original is on the left). So I'm really excited... now I just need to mull over all of these design specs! I thoroughly appreciate everyone's contributions. Perhaps this thread has helped others too. :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a gorgeous pair! Can't wait to see your finished earrings!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Such cool stuff!!! Great curating!

cheers--Sharon

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news! Excited to see your gorgeous studs come to fruition!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I have bezels and six claws. The bezels I got for my champagne studs to bring out the gold colour of the diamonds. But for white OECs I would def go for the six claw (or eight if they are the giant ones I’d love if I won the lottery!).

Jumbo backs make the biggest difference to me, and I get them in all my custom earring projects now. I can only handle simple push backs because I’m a complete clutz and can’t manage screws or those ones with the squeezy bits that make them extra safe. I’ve never lost an earring yet.

I have bezels and six claws. The bezels I got for my champagne studs to bring out the gold colour of the diamonds. But for white OECs I would def go for the six claw (or eight if they are the giant ones I’d love if I won the lottery!).

Jumbo backs make the biggest difference to me, and I get them in all my custom earring projects now. I can only handle simple push backs because I’m a complete clutz and can’t manage screws or those ones with the squeezy bits that make them extra safe. I’ve never lost an earring yet.

I've decided to definitely go with the 6-prong mountings, so I agree! And Adam (of OWD) also suggested larger push backs instead of screw backs. He said it's just important to make sure those couple of notches are on the ends of the posts. Thank you for your input! Also, if you were inclined to share (or have already shared them elsewhere), I would love to see your champagne bezel studs. :kiss2: I recently bought a brown diamond, and I'm really beginning to enjoy those shades.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
i will be following I also have some stud questions but I am more concerned about drooping- sure get wide backs we know this - but do tried some martinis on and they say so good- but do I need to worry about stretch int my piercings - are the baskets going to be too heavy no matter how thin and wide I make them??

Slight threadjack but I have similar questions. Lol

I use large backs an I found these ear savers on amazon they are lobe wonder B8861051-81B9-493E-B5EA-A499ED69C3FD.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Autumn in New England - Pg 3 of RWS’ thread, All About That Back :bigsmile:

@Autumn in New England - Pg 3 of RWS’ thread, All About That Back :bigsmile:

Just read every comment... a wealth of information that I'm glad you bookmarked. You had suggested these:

What do you think of this design in the 8mm pads (I think any larger might be too big for my lobes to sufficiently hide)? I just wish they made them in platinum.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just read every comment... a wealth of information that I'm glad you bookmarked. You had suggested these:

What do you think of this design in the 8mm pads (I think any larger might be too big for my lobes to sufficiently hide)? I just wish they made them in platinum.

I LOVE THOSE BACKS :bigsmile:

I went on an earring backs binge, replaced all my olds with these guys. Some 10mm some 8mm. (I have more than sufficient lobe to hide a 10mm earring back, sadly :???:)

So… Yeah, um, super super highly recommend :bigsmile: For platinum I use a different type of jumbo back - without the concavity. I wish they made these in platinum too…

I LOVE THOSE BACKS :bigsmile:

I went on an earring backs binge, replaced all my olds with these guys. Some 10mm some 8mm. (I have more than sufficient lobe to hide a 10mm earring back, sadly :???:)

So… Yeah, um, super super highly recommend :bigsmile: For platinum I use a different type of jumbo back - without the concavity. I wish they made these in platinum too…

Maybe I'm underestimating the girth of my lobes. lol But I think I'll start with the 8mm and maybe graduate. Awesome... one less thing to "worry" about. (First world problems, right?)

THANK YOU!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
❤️

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
8 prong small paws?

I have 8 prongs on 75 pointers, and I love the look. Yours are definitely big enough.

The 6 and 8 are definitely my favorites. If you wouldn't mind sharing, may I see your studs? Or if they already have a thread, please point the way. TIA! :)

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
The 6 and 8 are definitely my favorites. If you wouldn't mind sharing, may I see your studs? Or if they already have a thread, please point the way. TIA! :)

Well I didn't have any pics, or so I thought. By some miracle I still have the old email from Whiteflash with the glamor pics. They predate my account here by a decade.

One is and ACA, the other is an ES. Both are I color, 67 points. One is an SI-1, the ES is a VVS-1.

1680480806515.png

1680480833666.png

1680480873447.png

1680480898034.png

1680480922016.png

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
Those are the same settings I have for my .33s and in person the prongs are sooooo very tiny and delicate. They don't overpower my even tinier stones.

Well I didn't have any pics, or so I thought. By some miracle I still have the old email from Whiteflash with the glamor pics. They predate my account here by a decade.

One is and ACA, the other is an ES. Both are I color, 67 points. One is an SI-1, the ES is a VVS-1.

1680480806515.png

1680480833666.png

1680480873447.png

1680480898034.png

1680480922016.png

Ohhhhh... those beauties make an excellent case for 8 prong mountings. They're gorgeous, @Rons Wolfe. :kiss2:

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
Those are the same settings I have for my .33s and in person the prongs are sooooo very tiny and delicate. They don't overpower my even tinier stones.

I always regretted that I didn't do my CBI studs this way instead of 4 prong, that's a big part of why they sat in the box while these get worn.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Even though you seem settled on prongs, I just wanted to add some thoughts about bezeling vs prong setting and old cut diamond performance, just for the record!

Your diamonds look like fairly precision cut oldies with lower halves that are not too short. They are a little similar to my own diamond in this way, though perhaps erring a little more towards OEC appearance. These characteristics of the cut -- very nice symmetry and not too short lower halves -- is likely why they are so bright and lively and also why your original stone was hard to match! These are a relatively rare breed.

Anyhoo, when bezeled I noticed that my own diamond has much more contrast -- so the darks were darker and the lights lighter -- making for lots of bold flash. Prong setting made my stone look overall brighter with more pastels and a little more subtle pattern scintillation. Both are pretty cool. I think your diamonds could handle either bezel or prong and still be very gorgeous and eye catching. Bezeling might even be a little better because of the emphasis on flash and the greater viewing distance compared to a ring.

A more classic OEC with a less precision cut would probably show a greater different in performance and would likely benefit more from the added light coming into the pavilion because of its more leaky cut -- it would add brightness.

One other thing: Did you ask Adam whether this new diamond had been recut in any way that he knows of? If it matters to you that your old cut is truly old it could be worth asking. If you don't care, it might also just be a fun tidbit to know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results