shape
carat
color
clarity

how are you ladies dealing with your sparklies obsession during these tough times?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Not buying anything nor planning on any immediate purchases.
Paying the insurance on all those sparklies is enough to make me
think twice.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I bought something literally the day before my BF was laid of (with out knowing he was going to loose his job). He told me to keep it, and said I am still working and should be able to reward myself. I ended up going a little over budget, but now that he has no job, we are going going to Europe, so it kind of works out in a sad way.

I don''t go into debt for jewelry, or any fun purchases. I do plan on financing a new car, but I like to buy my cars new and keep them for a long time.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
MC, So far just sterling. Actually I started the first week with copper just to get a feel for it then graduated to sterling. I''ve made one simple band ring ( with texture). The first one I made melted under the torch, oops. Right now I''m in the middle of bezel setting my first stone in a ring I made. It''s a cabachon amethyst. Then I plan on learning how to set a faceted stone. We haven''t done wax casting yet. I have so many ideas and can''t wait to put them all into metal. If you like that type of thing you should try taking a class. It''s so much fun!
Our class is on a break and I wasn''t able to finish my amethyst ring so I have to wait two weeks till class starts up again. Grrrr.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Innerkitten that is so awesome. I hope you post your wonderful creations!

Mrs.2Artists

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
As to the original question posted- I love checking out museum collections of gemstones.

Mrs.2Artists

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Answer: I browse ebay. ALL. DAY. LONG.
I have a problem.
20.gif

And innerkitten, that is SO cool! I hope you post some of your creations. I would love to take a class, I would make so much stuff, but we don''t have anything like that here
8.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 11:01:16 AM
Author: innerkitten
My husband had to take a pay cut :-/. I''m just glad he still has a one though because so many people in the US have lost theirs. We have had to cut back on so many things and that includes gemstones and jewelry. One of the things I did to satisfy mu lust for pretty sparkly things was to start taking a jewelry making class. So far I love it.
I''m sorry to hear about your hubby. How''s the class treating your hands?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Interkitten - the class sounds like a lot of fun. My BF has been trying to get me to do something like that. The way I see it is that it can be a really expensive hobby! I don''t have time right now. I want to see your project when you get done with it.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Mrs.2artists, I haven''t tried museum collections yet. Great idea. Not sure if we have any with jewelry here. Just for fun this weekend I did visit my favorite antique jewelry store though, Lang Antiques. And our local auction house had an auction preview day that I checked out too. They have great jewelry eye candy and it''s less then a mile from my house.

Harriet, it can be pretty hard on your hands and nails. Luckily I keep my nails pretty short. Wouldn''t want to show up with fresh manicure though.

Monkey pie, where do you live? They might have a jewelry class at your local community college or something.

One day I''ll post something I''ve made.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been selling some of the things I don''t use or wear on ebay and then using THAT money to buy new goodies. Plus, I browse here and ebay for just some window shopping and dreaming.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 8:48:25 AM
Author: makemepretty
I''ve been selling some of the things I don''t use or wear on ebay and then using THAT money to buy new goodies. Plus, I browse here and ebay for just some window shopping and dreaming.

That''s smart! Now if only I had something to sell...lol.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I would LOVE to take a jewelry making class, I wonder if they have anything like that where I live?

I should also try and sell my cheap crappy jewelry on ebay to see if I can save for something actually good...

But really, to answer the original question, I just dream about what I actually WOULD buy if I currently had the funds, and I spend time looking at other peoples'' sparklies on pricescope every day! I also go to jewelry stores and try stuff on, even though I could never buy half of it.
20.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 8:48:25 AM
Author: makemepretty
Me, too! Most of my expensive jewelry has been sold to Dover Jewelry or on eBay. I''m now buying a few nice pieces and some loose gemstones.

Lori

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results