shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm coming clean...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
mom2boys|1313975622|2996147 said:
How much would be leftover if you went w/ the 3 stone AVC, including the cost of the setting?

About $3k. I am not sure of that route, am pretty sure it is nixed..

Thing: I know, I think that too. But it is not giving it up for $5k. It is giving it up for a great AVC and $5k! There are some things we can do to increase our income, we are doing those and will continue. We need this $5k in addition to those measures.

About 3 years ago I made my sapphire solitaire into a three stone with EC sides and loved the proportions on my hand. But the stones were not sparkly and blingy enough. I am going to look up what those proportions were because I am pretty sure they were all three smaller than the stones I have been considering. There is reality and PS reality. I would like to make my decision based on reality. I don't need a BIG rock. I need a beautiful ring I love.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1313976288|2996159 said:
How much would be leftover if you went w/ the 3 stone AVC, including the cost of the setting?

Thing: I know, I think that too. But it is not giving it up for $5k. It is giving it up for a great AVC and $5k! There are some things we can do to increase our income, we are doing those and will continue. We need this $5k in addition to those measures.

About 3 years ago I made my sapphire solitaire into a three stone with EC sides and loved the proportions on my hand. But the stones were not sparkly and blingy enough. I am going to look up what those proportions were because I am pretty sure they were all three smaller than the stones I have been considering. There is reality and PS reality. I would like to make my decision based on reality. I don't need a BIG rock. I need a beautiful ring I love.

So true! as long as you will love the AVC idea, then go for it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much would be leftover if you went w/ the smaller than the stones I have been considering. There is reality and PS reality. I would like to make my decision based on reality. I don't need a BIG rock. I need a beautiful ring I love.

Miss D:

I don't understand this statement PS reality/other reality? Apparently you bought and upgraded your stones based on both (if there is some "defination" of either +/-same....). In the final analysis you can do what you want with your possessions--moreover no one but you can define "your beautiful" ring and how you will "love" it.

cheers--Sharon

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Have you thought about just putting all the money towards the debt and then wearing a band or your new push present ring for a while? (Love that ring!) Then once you're debt-free you could save up for a new ring and not feel guilty.

If I were in your shoes I would probably do either/or...either use all the money to pay off the debt or just keep your round. But if you think you'll be happy with the AVC and you won't miss your round, I say go for it! And post lots of pics, please! :cheeky:

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer-

I don't know if you remember but I did something similar- sold my 1.33 round (at a loss) to help my parents and then 6 months later, bought my current .80 round. My situation was different in that I wasn't paying off a debt of mine, but helping my parents with their mortgage payment. In hindsight, I shouldn't have done it. In the grand scheme, it was a drop in the bucket of what they really needed and not to sound materialistic, I don't have the diamond I loved.

That being said, I would only sell your diamond if the $500 is going to pay off a serious chunk of debt or give you a real piece of mind by adding it to savings. I sold mine at a loss, whereas you would make $500- that would sway me as well!

Regarding the AVC- Gorgeous! However, having followed your posts for some time now, I really think the color is going to bother you. It's not going to mask as well as a round and you are color sensitive. I like the idea of a temp setting over the three stone, for now. The AVC is a different beast and wearing it for a while, you get to see it in so many different lights and see what type of setting you would really want for it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1313975284|2996140 said:
Dreamer_D|1313974551|2996114 said:
Buying the solitaire AVC would still leave us $5000 in cash. For us, that is certainly nothing to sneeze at!

I don't like a 5 stone look, many small stones is not the same as one larger one at all! But thanks for the suggestion!

I would not wear this ring with my half eternity, but I will ponder the color issue some more.

I'm sure you've already considered this, but is there any other way you could get $5k? Become an extreme couponer for a few months? Scrimping/saving/selling some of your other jewelry on eBay, etc.? For "only" $5k (which I agree is nothing to sneeze at! :cheeky: ) I wouldn't give up the big rock!
:errrr: ..i'd starve SO and the kids first before i give up the rock.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1313979116|2996218 said:
How much would be leftover if you went w/ the smaller than the stones I have been considering. There is reality and PS reality. I would like to make my decision based on reality. I don't need a BIG rock. I need a beautiful ring I love.

Miss D:

I don't understand this statement PS reality/other reality? Apparently you bought and upgraded your stones based on both (if there is some "defination" of either +/-same....). In the final analysis you can do what you want with your possessions--moreover no one but you can define "your beautiful" ring and how you will "love" it.

cheers--Sharon
me neither... :confused:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I love the look of the AVC's whether in a 3 stone or solitare. What I would do, though, is have the AVC sent out to you BEFORE you make any decision. Compare the two stones and decide if you can give up your current RB and be happy with the smaller AVC. I love the coverage of a 3 stone but this is a look you want to make sure you really like.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Dreamer! You're a thoughtful woman. How the heck am I supposed to add anything new to what you have already thought out? And now other people have all added their thoughts as well! Who the heck knows what you should do?

All I can say is that like Fly Girl, I didn't have a diamond early in my marriage. I had an engagement ring with two 1-point diamonds inside a gold oval. I got my first diamond about ten years ago, after around 25 years of marriage. So I identify with that. On the other hand, I cannot imagine ever giving up a diamond I bought and wanted! I have never done that.

So you're on your own, Dreamer. At least as far as I'm concerned. Sorry, girl. I'll be watching this thread with interest!!!

Big hugs,
Deb
:read:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
julia_girl|1313968574|2996021 said:
Hi Dreamer,
do you mind me asking which vendors are willing to buy preownded diamonds? I am also trying to sell my 1.2 carat Hof diamond and setting, which was appraised at around $23k a year ago and has also gone up recently. I am not trying to make any money on mine at this point, and Im willing to give someone a great deal. I'd just like to sell it and move on and now seems like a good time to do that. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Try e-mailing Wink Jones the lab report and see what happens. GOG does consignment. I do know the only reason I am able to sell mine is that it is a "super ideal" branded H&A with cherry numbers that I bought for a song online. You may not have the same luck, though consignment is always an option.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1313979116|2996218 said:

Miss D:

cheers--Sharon

I just meant that I am trying to keep a realistic and reasonable perspective when I assess all of this. Even downgrading size I would still have a sizable rock that I can choose to love or to criticise. In my real life, any diamond over 1ct is huge. But I PS has changed my personal perspective, to where I think of a 1.2ct diamond as "small". It is not! As my husband keeps pointing out! *shrug* I was not implying anyone else sets my standards or determines what I love, but rather was simply trying to express my own internal dialogue about the issue.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1313979284|2996220 said:
Have you thought about just putting all the money towards the debt and then wearing a band or your new push present ring for a while? (Love that ring!) Then once you're debt-free you could save up for a new ring and not feel guilty.

If I were in your shoes I would probably do either/or...either use all the money to pay off the debt or just keep your round. But if you think you'll be happy with the AVC and you won't miss your round, I say go for it! And post lots of pics, please! :cheeky:

This has indeed crossed my mind Thing! It would take the sting out of selling my ring to have $11k in my pocket. I am wearing my lovely new bezel ring which I adore at the moment, it is simply delish -- god I love the vast expanse of platinum so smooth and shiney, who knew?? -- and honestly the best money I have ever spent on jewelry. It has changed my perception of things a fair bit. It has taught me that a huge diamond is not required for me to love a ring. It has also taught me that the *setting* is just as important to me as the rock, somethng that I sort of knew before but had not really thought about in depth. Buuuut... the diamond is a little too small for me to be really happy with it :oops: And DH is not happy with me having no ring at all. so we are trying to think of a happy medium. I go back and forth and back and forth -- keep it, sell it and put all the money to debt, sell it and buy a smaller diamond to love. Every time I think my mind is made up, it changes again.

Whenever I think about how buying a smaller ring is "not good enough" or something this is where I have to give myself the reality check I was talking about earlier -- in my real life, a $6000 ring is extravagant and a 1.2ct diamond is huge. I should be satisfied with that. I should be happy with less than that! Reality check.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
swingirl|1313981739|2996253 said:
I love the look of the AVC's whether in a 3 stone or solitare. What I would do, though, is have the AVC sent out to you BEFORE you make any decision. Compare the two stones and decide if you can give up your current RB and be happy with the smaller AVC. I love the coverage of a 3 stone but this is a look you want to make sure you really like.

This is the plan swingirl -- the AVC comes to me and I get to play with it and compare it to my RB and also wear it for a week or so. I will either love it and keep it, then send the RB off for sale, or else send the AVC back. Seems like a good way to make sure I make a good choice! And the cost is minimal.

The question does remain about which AVC to have sent out to me. The J is very budget friendly and gorgeous, and I have a J now it is hardly going to shock with its tint. But more colorless would be nice too...

Ad for a three stone, I miss this ring I had a while back, and would like to recreate it with sparklier diamonds (changed the ring because it was not sparkly enough for me). https://www.pricescope.com/communit...my-sapphire-and-diamond-ec-three-stone.77743/

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

I think if the warmth of a very high J in an RB bothers you, then IMHO the distinct warmth of a cushion will most definitely bother you. Especially in a white metal.
If you go down the this route, I feel you may regret giving up your RB, especially given the fact most of us probably couldn't afford our own stones in todays market. I know I can't and also can't reach my goal of 2 + carats without feeling like I would be better of with a fabulous RH instead of an extra 0.4mm :rolleyes: .

I just wonder why of all the things you would chose to sell, it would be such a precious and loved possession? I would simply hate to see you regret this.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Feb03Bride|1313979389|2996222 said:
Dreamer-

I don't know if you remember but I did something similar- sold my 1.33 round (at a loss) to help my parents and then 6 months later, bought my current .80 round. My situation was different in that I wasn't paying off a debt of mine, but helping my parents with their mortgage payment. In hindsight, I shouldn't have done it. In the grand scheme, it was a drop in the bucket of what they really needed and not to sound materialistic, I don't have the diamond I loved.

That being said, I would only sell your diamond if the $500 is going to pay off a serious chunk of debt or give you a real piece of mind by adding it to savings. I sold mine at a loss, whereas you would make $500- that would sway me as well!

Regarding the AVC- Gorgeous! However, having followed your posts for some time now, I really think the color is going to bother you. It's not going to mask as well as a round and you are color sensitive. I like the idea of a temp setting over the three stone, for now. The AVC is a different beast and wearing it for a while, you get to see it in so many different lights and see what type of setting you would really want for it.

$5k is a serious chunk of our debt. I agree, if it was a drop in the bucket it is not worth it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Regarding size, Jon at GOG was kind enough to take a photo for me. The 1.18 AVC is the one we have reserved. At the end is an RB the size of my current one. An important comparison is the 1.18 AVC and the 1.19 H&A. Prior to this upgrade that was the size RB we had and looking back it was big enough and the perfect size for a three stone.

6diamondlineup.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
susimoo|1313983286|2996273 said:
I just wonder why of all the things you would chose to sell, it would be such a precious and loved possession? I would simply hate to see you regret this.

I don't own anything else with no practical use that is worth this much! Besides our house and car, my ring is the most expensive thing we own. Which I think does speak to its lack of fit with our fiscal reality.

You might be right about color.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1313982820|2996268 said:
thing2of2|1313979284|2996220 said:

This has indeed crossed my mind Thing! It would take the sting out of selling my ring to have $11k in my pocket. I am wearing my lovely new bezel ring which I adore at the moment, it is simply delish -- god I love the vast expanse of platinum so smooth and shiney, who knew?? -- and honestly the best money I have ever spent on jewelry. It has changed my perception of things a fair bit. It has taught me that a huge diamond is not required for me to love a ring. It has also taught me that the *setting* is just as important to me as the rock, somethng that I sort of knew before but had not really thought about in depth. Buuuut... the diamond is a little too small for me to be really happy with it :oops: And DH is not happy with me having no ring at all. so we are trying to think of a happy medium. I go back and forth and back and forth -- keep it, sell it and put all the money to debt, sell it and buy a smaller diamond to love. Every time I think my mind is made up, it changes again.

Whenever I think about how buying a smaller ring is "not good enough" or something this is where I have to give myself the reality check I was talking about earlier -- in my real life, a $6000 ring is extravagant and a 1.2ct diamond is huge. I should be satisfied with that. I should be happy with less than that! Reality check.

You should be satisfied, but you weren't, right? ;)) If you were satisfied, you wouldn't have upgraded. All diamonds are frivolous and pointless, but we all have them anyway. I mean if you're going to have something frivolous, it might as well be something you love and not something you're just satisfied with!

Based on your posts here, you don't seem the type to be overly influenced by others, so I don't know that you can really blame your love of big diamonds on PS. Seems like something you realized yourself IRL.

I will say the difference between the 1.75 H&A round and the 1.18 is pretty large...I honestly didn't expect the difference to be that pronounced. That might be a tough pill to swallow. But hey-having a smaller (but still a great size and absolutely gorgeous) diamond never killed anyone, right? :cheeky:

Interesting discussion...I'm curious to see what you decide!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should just do whatever you want.
You don't have to rationalize, explain or justify anything to anyone, even to yourself.
Just do what you want.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
do you guys NEED that 5k for the debt or it's just something like house loan where you owe $20k but has 30 years to pay it off kind of thing?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1313985916|2996291 said:
I think you should just do whatever you want.
You don't have to rationalize, explain or justify anything to anyone, even to yourself.
Just do what you want.

I don't know what I want ;))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't do it unless you are sure. And I'm not getting the impression you are.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No wait, I know what I want: I want $11k and I want a 1.7ct diamond. Hmmm... how to make THAT happen??

THING yes, I love big diamonds. I am not *blaming* PS, but I also know without a doubt had I never found PS I would maybe have a half carat diamond because social norms influence what we think is appropriate/normal/desirable. I don't carry designer handbags, but if I was on a purse forum my interests might turn that way? Chicken and egg this discussion, obviously it is not an outside influence that pushed me to like big diamonds. But one can learn from one's experiences. We have thought a few times in the last year that our most recent upgrade was a mistake, and here is the opportunity to undo it without a loss of money.

I also think how I perceive my diamond is hevaily influenced by how much time I spend thinking about it and how much time on PS. I did not wear it for 2-3 months because baby weight made it not fit. I took it out again and it looked humungous, even self-consciously big! I think perspectives adjust with time and exposure. Maybe. *shrug* who knows.

But at the exact moment in time I don't want to sell my ring. haha. In five minutes that will change.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1313986370|2996296 said:
No wait, I know what I want: I want $11k and I want a 1.7ct diamond. Hmmm... how to make THAT happen??

Order the AVC and the new dilemma will be I want $11k, my 1.7RB and the AVC!!! :lol:

Seriously, get the AVC home and do your viewing and decide what is best for you. I wish you luck, because I truly know how hard a decision this will be!! I only want the best for a fellow sparkle lover!!! :wavey:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minmin001|1313986030|2996292 said:
do you guys NEED that 5k for the debt or it's just something like house loan where you owe $20k but has 30 years to pay it off kind of thing?

That's a good point--if it's something like credit card debt, I would absolutely sell the diamond. If the money will just go towards mortgage payments or college funds, eh, I might not. There's plenty of time to save for those.

I think the 1.18 looks fabulous though! Sooo pretty and you're right, it's not small. Honestly, I think a 3 stone made up of all AVCs might be a little too busy with all chunky facets though--I would try it out as a yummy solitaire first, or add some sleek bullets. With regards to color, a J in an AVC/antique cut is a whole different animal than a J in a round. I actually don't think the color will bother you. I think AVCs looks best in the J-M range.

Lots of luck with whatever you decide!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prices aren't going back down.

You can't have your cake and eat it too... Unless you have two cakes lol. This is your chance to have the diamond on your finger. You will pay much more than you did to replace it down the road.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1313987452|2996299 said:
minmin001|1313986030|2996292 said:

That's a good point--if it's something like credit card debt, I would absolutely sell the diamond. If the money will just go towards mortgage payments or college funds, eh, I might not. There's plenty of time to save for those.

We don't need the money in the sense that we wil be out of house and home! We don't have any credit card debt either, but have a relatively low interest personal loan from when we bought our home/moved accross the country. We could pay that off. I am also projecting ahead for the next 6-8 months and we have a bunch of expenses coming that we have not saved for. Selling my diamond would allow us to meet those expenses. It is *possible* that with really tight belts we can make it work. But it will be stressful, and in the past I know we have not met our goals in that regard the way I would have liked. So many unexpected things come up in life! And given we have at our disposal an asset we can sell to help make all those things work... well responsbile me kicks in.

And I wish we owed only 20k on our home :cheeky:

Laila619|1313987452|2996299 said:
I think the 1.18 looks fabulous though! Sooo pretty and you're right, it's not small. Honestly, I think a 3 stone made up of all AVCs might be a little too busy with all chunky facets though--I would try it out as a yummy solitaire first, or add some sleek bullets. With regards to color, a J in an AVC/antique cut is a whole different animal than a J in a round. I actually don't think the color will bother you. I think AVCs looks best in the J-M range.

Lots of luck with whatever you decide!!!

Thanks Laila, such a cheerleader 8) I am not a solitaire type of gal, but I see where you are coming from. If we go ahead we will see the AVC either loose or set in a temp setting first.

Another very inexpensive option is a three stone ring with a .70 center and .20 (each) sides, which sounds very modest but in fact is gorgeous on the hand and a look I really like a lot.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also get the sense that you are not sure about this decision. I think you are waging a war betweenwhat you "should do" and what you "want to do"! You know that selling it is the "right" thing to do and is financially sensible BUT your heart loves this diamond and you want to keep it.....

Personally I would sell it and put ALL the proceeds to your debt and just wear other rings for a while. Don't think it's worth it if you are simply trading for a smaller ring.

Kenny is right - you must simply go with your gut feeling and do whatever you WANT to do else you'll regret it!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I actually have made the same call several times- I could easily sell my larger OEC for a profit. I haven't. One reason is, I don't mind having money in other things other than cash. Part of the question is- do you think the US dollar is better to have in the long run, or a tangible asset that you can liquidate for what you paid? Will cash hold it's value better, or will the diamond? Personally, I decided diamond ;)) But if you need the money NOW and aren't saving it for later (or even worse IMO, much later, like a college fund) then it's not as important a factor to consider.

Hmmm. I'd say keep unless you really, really *need* the money and will use it ASAP. And, it's not like you'd end up with nothing- that AVC is lovely!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
If your are not too sentimental about this ring then I would say go for it. But in the end, I guess you have to ask yourself what you make you feel better - your gorgeous ring or having a bit more freedom financially. Either choice is ok but it's a hard one to have to make.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results