shape
carat
color
clarity

Jedi spinel obsession, do these look like jedi to you?

metinemre

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone.
These images are sent to me by from Yavorskyy staff.

They claim these to be jedi.
What do you think?

single.JPG

twins.JPG

Anyone that can help with experience? TIA

I think it is really hard to show glow in muted indoor lighting. The Yavorskyy photos make a poor sales pitch, imo, but the gems could still be lovely in person.

The HiGems photo -- with apologies to that vendor if they are reputable -- looks so fake. Or else there's a UV light on them already. "Glow" does not mean that the gems are incandescent. We encounter this a lot with "no-return" overseas vendors -- you just need to make the sale.

The more pivotal the color, the less you can rely on a phone photo or video. You really need to see it in person. Photo is generally OK for cut, light return, clarity -- but if the hue and saturation are critical, it is silly (imo) to compare photos from two different vendors and under totally different lighting conditions and probably totally different principles of integrity.

I agree with @LilAlex, the yavorskyy photos are taken in low indoor lighting and all the facets are off, showing only pretty much the body color. I suspect in better lighting they can look amazing.

I own one of the gems in that higems video, and it can definitely look like that irl but obviously not all the time, it's very lighting dependent. But still, hues and saturation will pretty much never look 100% identical in photos vs in person. The ideal would be to shop in person bringing along a reference stone, but that's probably impossible for the majority of us.

How was the Yavorskyy one you bought? Was that supposed to be Jedi? Did it glow in real life?

Well, the stone I bought looks very nice. It has some glow but I`ve never seen a jedi in real life besides photos and videos here and there so I can`t compare real life experience. Vs the photos and videos I see on line, it doesn`t look like a jedi spinel.

It`s more like a vivid pinkish red spinel with dark shadowy edges, like a normal spinel.
Yavorskyy staff say it is definitely a jedi and a very old stock.
I had the stone certified by AIGS in Thailand origin report says from Myanmar and then I spoke to lab after certification because lab says, if it fits their criteria they mention "jedi" in their detailed origin report and this stone didn`t fit their "jedi" classification.

With my Samsung phone I took these pictures. Nighttime under kitchen counter led lights and Uv light photos.

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg5.jpeg

Is it more glowy than this in the sun?

This was sold to me strictly as NON Jedi because the vendor didn’t want me having the wrong expectations. It’s from Myanmar as well.

Full sun

IMG_4576.jpeg

Night time in my kitchen

IMG_3050.jpeg

Just curious, did you take any photos of it during the day next to window or outside? You must have taken a few more, no?

I haven`t been at home during the day time yet, off only on Sundays. Working hard 6 days a week to spare more for spinels lol. I`ll post day time photos on Sunday :)

Hi everyone.

What do you think?

single.JPG

twins.JPG
All gemstones live for light. These look like they were taken under natural light inside. Not the same thing as seeing the glow of a good red/pink spinel under outside sunlight or LED light.

But the saturation (vivid) level of these Spinel's look moderately strong at best and I would be more willing to say, slightly grayish.

If you are looking for neon, these are not.

Under direct sunlight, sun shining towards the gem.
Single photo is Yavorskyy spinel sold to me as jedi zoomed in.
2nd photo left Yavorskyy, right hand side starlanka sold to me as vivd red spinel.
They both look and shine better than the cell phone photos but I doubt the smaller Yavorskyy spinel is jedi.

1.jpeg2.jpeg

I'm admittedly the harshest judge when it comes to Jedi. Those stones are lovely vivid reds. Still very beautiful, rare, would still love to own but not what I would consider Jedi.
These are mine, all have fluorescence in the sun and are beautiful varying shades of red.
NONE are Jedi.

These are not mine. THESE are what I would call true Jedi, in indirect light.
They're otherworldly.

I'm admittedly the harshest judge when it comes to Jedi. Those stones are lovely vivid reds. Still very beautiful, rare, would still love to own but not what I would consider Jedi.
These are mine, all have fluorescence in the sun and are beautiful varying shades of red.
NONE are Jedi.
20221029_121245.jpg20210722_105658.jpg20220330_140052.jpg20221213_153020.jpg

jedi.jpgjedispinel.jpg
They're otherworldly.

Where did you purchase yours, if you are ok to share your vendor?

2nd photo left Yavorskyy, right hand side starlanka sold to me as vivd red spinel.

These photos are still in the bag -- can't say a thing, imo.

Where did you purchase yours, if you are ok to share your vendor?
I don't really have any, these were more opportunity buys. It's been a really long time since I've bought anything other than a pretty little pad colored from another PSer a few years ago. I can't afford any of it now!
None came from actual stone vendors.

The red three stone was sourced and ring made by JuliaBJewelry (around 2014. Ring was made around 2019/2020?) She sold some loose stones for a very short time long ago. She's moved into more lab gems lately but she does currently have this pretty Mahenge pendant.

Under direct sunlight, sun shining towards the gem.
They both look and shine better than the cell phone photos but I doubt the smaller Yavorskyy spinel is jedi.

1.jpeg2.jpeg

I suspect in the first photo your camera or phone is too close to the stone and blocking too much light. The stone being in the bag doesn't help either. In the second photo, it appears that the gems black out a bit in direct sunlight which is quite normal for most gems but "jedi" material should glow up completely without blacking out.

I provide a comparison of various red spinels. I have marked the Jedi spinel on the picture. The photo was taken indoors near the window under natural light, and the color is basically consistent with the naked eye. You should be able to find a color similar to your spinel.DSC_0487 - 副本 拷贝.jpg

I provide a comparison of various red spinels. I have marked the Jedi spinel on the picture. The photo was taken indoors near the window under natural light, and the color is basically consistent with the naked eye. You should be able to find a color similar to your spinel.DSC_0487 - 副本 拷贝.jpg

Can I come hang out with you someday to admire your collection :bigsmile:, they are gorgeous

Is AIGS stingy or generous with their label? Idk?
Yavorskyy staff say it is definitely a jedi and a very old stock.
I had the stone certified by AIGS in Thailand origin report says from Myanmar and then I spoke to lab after certification because lab says, if it fits their criteria they mention "jedi" in their detailed origin report and this stone didn`t fit their "jedi" classification.

If you aren’t thrilled / return it.
The vendor can have in house grading that other labs don’t agree with, and that’s ok, but you don’t have to agree to like it either, just because a vendor says ‘it’s a nice one’. If it doesn’t scratch your itch - it doesn’t.

It’s hard to give more insight.
I think of a certain sapphire I would have loved to own, from Inken. Two different posters posted many pictures of the same stone. One loved it and had plenty of gorgeous pictures. One didn’t enjoy it at all and had plenty of unflattering photos.
Sometimes It’s hard to tell from pictures people post.

Will all Jedi always look like a Jedi at different latitudes/climates? Idk.

Last edited:
I think of a certain sapphire I would have loved to own, from Inken. Two different posters posted many pictures of the same stone. One loved it and had plenty of gorgeous pictures. One didn’t enjoy it at all and had plenty of unflattering photos.
It’s hard to tell from pictures people post.

So true! I received my blue sapphire and immediately sent a model hand shot to my bench to thank them. Between me taking the pic and hitting send, the iPhone had autocorrected the picture to look grey. Jeweller said he freaked out upon first glance, thinking “Why is the stone this colour? This wasn’t what I put in the ring!”

We had a laugh after we realised it was the aftermath of the iPhone corrections.

Amazing collection, very beautiful gems. Thank you for sharing. Jedi gems glow no matter what! Based on your collection I can definitely see two gems similar to mine and the one I was expecting to be jedi based on the vendor images and confirmation; definitely isn`t jedi. I won`t return it because I didn`t pay too much to worry about, it is still reasonable for a very nice spinel. Plus I have a connection to Yavorskyy now that I don`t want to break but I told them very seriously that they should be careful on what they advertise and how they guarantee or confirm before selling something. I will also email Vlad and let him know.

Where can I get the same display binder and little boxes? My collection is all in plastic packaging and needs a good home.
:)

Last edited:
Can I ask what might be a daft question? I’ve just been reading about fluorescence in pink/red spinels. I have a Burmese spinel from Yavorskyy, not sold as “Jedi”. Under UV light it glows amazingly but in natural light it is a pretty pinky red.

So actual “Jedi”, they look like that in natural light? How does that happen? Is it due to small amounts of UV and they have a chemical composition that lets the fluorescence show?

Attachments

• IMG_1742.jpeg
    IMG_1742.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 23
Can I ask what might be a daft question? I’ve just been reading about fluorescence in pink/red spinels. I have a Burmese spinel from Yavorskyy, not sold as “Jedi”. Under UV light it glows amazingly but in natural light it is a pretty pinky red.

So actual “Jedi”, they look like that in natural light? How does that happen? Is it due to small amounts of UV and they have a chemical composition that lets the fluorescence show?

According to this article the exceptionally strong fluorescence is caused by the unusually low concentration of iron (section 5.2):
https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4352/13/1/103
The standard story is that iron quenches fluorescence by providing an alternative (thermal) pathway for excited chromium ions to lose their energy. I don't pretend to understand this...

Daylight has a fair amount of UV. (Hence sunburn!). But I've also read (can't find a reference) that fluorescence of chromium is excited as much by shorter wavelength visible light as by UV proper. I suspect that all chromium-fluorescent stones fluoresce in daylight, but that we notice it only in stones with exceptionally strong fluorescence.

Are they from the Jedi mines or around that area? Probably...Are they dark and included and not representative of true Jedi? yes. I think with these two stones, you're paying more for the Ivy name than top quality Jedi spinel. I would look elsewhere.

Hi everyone.

What do you think?

single.JPG

I purchased this stone from JW. While it looks more Jedi than the stones you posted; I was expecting more. I will likely sell this, & splurge on a true Jedi. I’m not sure how high your standards are, so just be sure that vendor has an easy return policy.
IMG_1066.png

NONE are Jedi.
20221029_121245.jpg20210722_105658.jpg20220330_140052.jpg20221213_153020.jpg

jedi.jpgjedispinel.jpg
They're otherworldly.

I'm so sorry to highjack the thread and I know nothing about spinels but I have to know about @ItsMainelyYou 's snake ring.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP