shape
carat
color
clarity

Osama Bin Laden Dead

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thing, I don't know what you're watching -- must not be the same places I go. I haven't seen one Repub. try to take credit away from Obama -- every Repub. talking head I've seen in the last 2 days has said it was a splendid job. It was. It's not a political incident, to my mind; it's a military one. Clinton had UBL in his paws & let him go. Bush didn't find him either. Takes a long time for some intelligence to percolate. I'm sure every pres. cared enormously about catching this slob. Annoying for politics to intrude into something that fundamentally is not political -- that's not directed at you, but at the whole of humanity.

--- Laurie

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1304537669|2912263 said:
Thing, I don't know what you're watching -- must not be the same places I go. I haven't seen one Repub. try to take credit away from Obama -- every Repub. talking head I've seen in the last 2 days has said it was a splendid job. It was. It's not a political incident, to my mind; it's a military one. Clinton had UBL in his paws & let him go. Bush didn't find him either. Takes a long time for some intelligence to percolate. I'm sure every pres. cared enormously about catching this slob. Annoying for politics to intrude into something that fundamentally is not political -- that's not directed at you, but at the whole of humanity.

--- Laurie

All the big names floating around as the GOP nominee (except for Tim Pawlenty) failed to congratulate or even mention President Obama in their statements about the operation. Here's some commentary with tons of links to all the ways Republican politicians and commentators are trying to discredit President Obama's role in this. http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/05/03/osama_reactions_guide/index.html I don't think this article mentions Rush Limbaugh's obnoxious response, either. My personal favorite is Sarah Palin thanking Bush but not mentioning Obama by name.

And I totally agree with your last sentence.

ETA I should add that aside from the famous Republicans, a lot of people on FB and elsewhere have also been downplaying President Obama's role or saying he was trying to take credit where he shouldn't have. I'm not saying he dropped in singlehandedly and shot OBL in the head himself, but come on! Somehow I doubt Republicans would have been so concerned about how much credit the President was taking if Bush was the one who got OBL.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1304537376|2912257 said:
dragonfly411|1304536627|2912247 said:
Thing - I never said you called me pathetic and shameful. I said you called people shameful and pathetic. Your post was directed at mine though, which is why I responded. All in good humor though, I enjoy conversation/discussion like this, it's good to see all view points. :mrgreen:

Your comment at the end of that post about not being a Republican led me to believe you thought my comments were directed at you. But either way, your comments like "I saw where he gave himself quite a bit of credit" seem to imply that President Obama was taking credit when he shouldn't have.

Regardless of political affiliation, people should give credit where credit is due: to President Obama, to the Navy SEALs who carried the mission out and to all of the people involved in the operation. Anyone who doesn't want to give President Obama any credit because of politics is pathetic and shameful.

Agreed with your last part. Although I wouldn't call people pathetic and shameful, I do agree that he deserves credit as well. I think my point was to observe that I hope that those SEALS are being as protected and as honored as the president is too. They were there doing it. Hope that makes sense.

ETA: I personally feel like Bush veered from the goal, so those thanking HIM are well... I have not so nice words. We should have had OBL a long long time ago in my opinion. But that's just me.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This seems to be an appropriate place to quote a few lines from Maureen Dowd's column, "Cool Hand Barack":

"Cool Hand Barack" By MAUREEN DOWD
WASHINGTON

"No wonder the president’s top generals call him 'a Cool Hand Luke.'

After giving the order for members of a Navy Seals team to execute a fantastically daring plan to, let’s be honest, execute Osama bin Laden, Barack Obama put on a tuxedo and gave a comedy speech Saturday night in a Washington ballroom of tippling journalists and Hollywood stars.

If we could have seen everything unfolding in real time, it would have had the same dramatic effect as the intercutting in the president’s favorite movie, 'The Godfather,' when Michael Corleone calmly acts as godfather at his nephew’s baptism at church, even as his lieutenants carry out the gory hits he has ordered on rival mobsters.

Just substitute 'Leave the copter, take the corpse' for 'Leave the gun, take the cannoli.' The president’s studied cool and unreadable mien have sometimes distanced him from the public at moments of boiling crisis. But in the long-delayed showdown with Public Enemy No. 1, these qualities served him perfectly.

The timing was good, blunting the infelicitous remarks made recently to The New Yorker’s Ryan Lizza by an Obama adviser, who described the president as the un-John Wayne ushering a reviled and chastened America away from the head of the global table. The unnamed adviser described the Obama doctrine on display in Libya as 'leading from behind,' which sounds rather pathetic.

But now the president has shown he can lead straight-on and that, unlike Jimmy Carter, he knows how to order up that all-important backup helicopter. He has said that those who call him a wimp are mistaken, that there is often muscular purpose beneath his diffident surface. "

For the full article go to today's issue of, "The New York Times".

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results