shape
carat
color
clarity

Osama Bin Laden Dead

Happy and not going to intellectualize my viceral feeling of "FINALLY". Justice is done. Not a long time passes as I once again mourn that day, those victims and the "dopey" towers. I high fived my husband - not celebrating a death - but some closure and a proud, proud feeling I have for the planning and execution of a truly successful "mission" by our very finest Navy SEALS Heros and Intell. The easy thing to do was to throw another smart bomb at the situation. Instead, it appears a thoughtful plan of action directed only at number one enemy.

The pain I felt in that DT thread on 9/11 is the same pain I feel today - just a little more valued and not in vain.

That said, I'm not sorry if he burns in hell. I only hope it's kinda like the twilight zone hell - where everyday he relieves his worst nightmare - which I assign to bin laden - Manhattan NYC 9/11/2001 9:45 on floor 100 North Tower.

I am American. I am not against capital punishment in a theoretical sense. I am "young." I completely understand why this is a celebration to many--and justifiably so. Particularly to those who had family and friends directly lost due to 9/11 and those who reside in NYC/DC. I get why this would feel like vindication. I am happy that this brings a small element of closure to such a life-altering moment for some of the population, even if not closure to the larger political turmoil.

I don't get the celebration in the streets, though. The minute I saw the footage, it was unsettling. I can't put it into words like many others have stated on this board. I am not a warm, fuzzy person. Sure I have a heart, but not a bleeding one. It still doesn't seem right to publicly cheer and jeer and put on a street festival.

It's not that there was public celebration. I think a quiet, candlelit vigil around Ground Zero could have spoken volumes without arrogance. I don't see anything wrong with feeling personally satisfied or extolling our servicemen and servicewomen for their efforts. A midnight parade, however, doesn't seem quite fitting.

:|

As always, just my thoughts/opinion.

Well, it looks like we're not the only ones have the cheering "debate". CNN posted and article about whether it was "morally right" to cheer. I won't link it as it's under "religion" since they quote all sorts of religious leaders, but you can certainly go there and read it yourself if you're interested.

fire&ice|1304375225|2910456 said:
The easy thing to do was to throw another smart bomb at the situation. Instead, it appears a thoughtful plan of action directed only at number one enemy.

I couldn't agree more. And although there were some people cheering, as if for a sports team at Ground Zero, there were parents of victims there today, too. The ones that I saw interviewed were somber, one man who had lost his son was crying. Naturally they were happy finally to have some closure, but bin Laden's death did not seem to bring them jubilation. It was a very thoughtful scene.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

JewelFreak|1304364178|2910257 said:
My own feeling (all made up) is that they didn't ask him to surrender: "Where's Bin Laden?" The informant points. "Hey, Bozo, hello from America!" BANG. Understandable in this case, imho. (Maybe I watch too much tv!)

--- Laurie
yep,i think so too.

Hopefully this will make sense.

What's odd to me is that while I was watching the news today, I kept thinking that it seemed just as likely for people in the streets to be cheering for a sports team who had won a championship game. Sports team vs. US Navy Seals? Won a big game vs. Killing Bin Laden? Hard to compare the two any other time, but that's went through my head. It seemed a bit strange.

JewelFreak|1304336114|2909860 said:
AGBF|1304313514|2909775 said:
I'm of the John Donne school in which, "every man's death diminshes me". I believe in the Quaker "inner light" within all men, although, as my father says, the light within a certain individual sometimes seems very dim!!!

They showed footage of a crowd gathered outside the White House and young guys were chest bumping and cheering. YIKES.

However, I have a hard time celebrating someone's death. How does anyone's death help me? In fact I was saddened that the allies of the US would go after a family residence of Muammar Qaddafi and celebrate killing his son and grandchildren today. Since when are people's homes viable targets in war? Since when are civilian children viable targets?

All very PC & warm & fuzzy. Remember, UBL, Qaddafi & their brethren are proud of killing as many innocent people as possible. THIS someone's death helps you in that he will not be behind killing YOU, leaving your kids w/out a parent; behind killing THEM or their children. One UBL henchman hid behind a helpless woman in this raid, using her as a shield. How symbolic.

Look at the vids on Youtube of fathers, mothers, regular folks expecting a normal workday, hurtling 100 stories to bloody deaths rather than suffer incineration alive. Put yourself in a seat on any 9/11 plane, knowing the fiery end you'll experience in a few seconds (each second seeming like eternity) as you mourn for those you're leaving. See the video of Daniel Pearl's head being slowly sawed off, which they proudly circulated, photos of mothers at markets in Israel, blown to gory pieces on a sunny weekday.

Real life is messy. It's ugly a lot of times. Humans are ugly often. Moral relativity is BUNK -- there are universal rights & wrongs. I also believe in an inner light in people -- but these chose to extinguish it in themselves -- and in thousands they never met, using them as tools. As things. I'm glad UBL is dead and I don't care who died with him -- anyone around him shares his hatred. Too bad about Qaddafi's grandchildren -- but he KNEW he was a hunted man & put them in danger by coming to their house -- would YOU do that in the situation?

The partying is over the top -- but as I said, humans are often ugly & messy. And real life ain't no tea party.

--- Laurie

THIS

ANY opinion that differs from THIS opinion is worthless in MY opinion.

I'll stop there. I could go on. But I won't. Except . . .

I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S PATOOTIE WHAT THE TERRORISTS OF THE WORLD AND THEIR MINDLESS FOLLOWERS THINK OF AMERICANS WHOOPING IT UP IN THE STREETS. A big fat Eff You to them.

Now I'm done.

I'm sure there were some cheering in the streets when the news Hitler is dead was heard. Maybe i'm weird, but I don't see much moral ambiguity in wanting Osama dead or alive. Was I out cheering in the streets? No I was at my job but I did exchange some facebook comments with friends.

mixed emotions, mostly concern for the future, others say it better.

"I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr.

I had two thoughts when I heard this news. One... I really hope it was him. Two... power vacuum... wonder who the next face of evil will be.

Sad but I guess optimism has been stamped out of me. My only thoughts were the fear of possible retaliation and the form it would take, and who the next sociopath will be we have to deal with. And how many will die.

I don't care who is hooting and hollering in the streets. At heart, I don't feel any safer. And I really wish I did.

swimmer|1304380482|2910549 said:

"I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.

~Albert Einstein

I saw a woman interviewed at Ground Zero. Her son died there on 9/11. She was weeping, tears running from behind the hands she held to her face. "I'm glad!" she said, and groaned, "But it won't bring my son home again." For doing THAT to thousands of mothers, fathers, wives, children, brothers and friends, I wish UBL could die one time for each grief. But it wouldn't bring them home.

--- Laurie

Gypsy|1304380958|2910557 said:
I had two thoughts when I heard this news. One... I really hope it was him. Two... power vacuum... wonder who the next face of evil will be.

Sad but I guess optimism has been stamped out of me. My only thoughts were the fear of possible retaliation and the form it would take, and who the next sociopath will be we have to deal with. And how many will die.

I don't care who is hooting and hollering in the streets. At heart, I don't feel any safer. And I really wish I did.

Just re-read my post and I realized something. Dead or not. Bin Laden won. At least for me. My sense of safety, my trust in my government's ability to keep me safe, and my optimism about the fate of the conflict with the middle east are all gone. I wish I could say it was different but... its going to take a LOT MORE for me to feel safe ever again.

Gypsy|1304381201|2910565 said:

Just re-read my post and I realized something. Dead or not. Bin Laden won. At least for me. My sense of safety, my trust in my government's ability to keep me safe, and my optimism about the fate of the conflict with the middle east are all gone. I wish I could say it was different but... its going to take a LOT MORE for me to feel safe ever again.

It's a new world and it has been for a long time unfortunately.

missy|1304381131|2910561 said:

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.

~Albert Einstein
Well declining to celebrate the death of your enemy is not the same thing as failing to conquer him, is it? Sorry but this is totally inapplicable.

suchende|1304382506|2910603 said:
missy|1304381131|2910561 said:

~Albert Einstein
Well declining to celebrate the death of your enemy is not the same thing as failing to conquer him, is it? Sorry but this is totally inapplicable.

I was replying to the darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that

Try killing the terrorists with love and kindness and peace and all you will get is more terroristic attacks. This is an enemy there is no reasoning with and while I greatly admire Martin Luther King Jr not all his quotes are applicable to the enemies of the 21st century.

I think we've run the celebration thing into the ground, but I would look at it more as pride in our armed services for carrying out a great mission. I can see cheering for their courage and excellent execution of a very dangerous plan!

I just hope they have #2 and #3 next on the list. The sooner they can get rid of the other leaders, the better.

diamondseeker2006|1304383675|2910619 said:
I think we've run the celebration thing into the ground, but I would look at it more as pride in our armed services for carrying out a great mission. I can see cheering for their courage and excellent execution of a very dangerous plan!

I just hope they have #2 and #3 next on the list. The sooner they can get rid of the other leaders, the better.

I totally agree with this.

missy|1304381330|2910570 said:

No, it's the same world it's always been, WE are the ones who've changed. We finally were forced to cast off the illusion - and make no mistake, it was always illusion - that America was unassailable. It's like our youth is finally over and we now have a collective sense of our own mortality, and desperately wishing to feel safe again is akin to wishing childhood back: it never works...

missy|1304383266|2910617 said:
I was replying to the darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that

Try killing the terrorists with love and kindness and peace and all you will get is more terroristic attacks. This is an enemy there is no reasoning with and while I greatly admire Martin Luther King Jr not all his quotes are applicable to the enemies of the 21st century.
I disagree that the long-term solution doesn't lie in love and kindness.

Another thought that came to mind is the idea of following the example set by your leadership. Personal politics aside, I think it's important to take a queue from the administration. Obama made his announcement in a quiet room with no press, no questions, no drawn-out discussion. His address was brief yet full of pride--celebratory even--but with no fanfare. There is always a motive behind what forum is chosen for his addresses, which I'm sure is not determined by the President alone. He could have been much more boisterous, especially with all of the buzz about the upcoming presidential candidates and his standing for re-election, but methinks he chose the tone he did for reasons beyond his personal political agenda.

fire&ice|1304375225|2910456 said:
Happy and not going to intellectualize my viceral feeling of "FINALLY". Justice is done. Not a long time passes as I once again mourn that day, those victims and the "dopey" towers. I high fived my husband - not celebrating a death - but some closure and a proud, proud feeling I have for the planning and execution of a truly successful "mission" by our very finest Navy SEALS Heros and Intell. The easy thing to do was to throw another smart bomb at the situation. Instead, it appears a thoughtful plan of action directed only at number one enemy.

The pain I felt in that DT thread on 9/11 is the same pain I feel today - just a little more valued and not in vain.

That said, I'm not sorry if he burns in hell. I only hope it's kinda like the twilight zone hell - where everyday he relieves his worst nightmare - which I assign to bin laden - Manhattan NYC 9/11/2001 9:45 on floor 100 North Tower.
:appl: :appl: my sentiments exactly. I also high fived my husband.

ksinger|1304384894|2910646 said:
missy|1304381330|2910570 said:

No, it's the same world it's always been, WE are the ones who've changed. We finally were forced to cast off the illusion - and make no mistake, it was always illusion - that America was unassailable. It's like our youth is finally over and we now have a collective sense of our own mortality, and desperately wishing to feel safe again is akin to wishing childhood back: it never works...

I agree with this. We've seen the Wizard behind the illusion. There is no going back.

What's the price for innocence lost? One life? A dozen? There is no price. Not for the innocence. Not for the lives.

There's no one that can pay enough for the loss of innocence for generations of Americans. There's no one that can pay enough for all those lives lost. And more lives lost aren't going to do anything to repair the damage. It's vengence. I just wish it was satisfying. But it's not. Just ashes on top of more ashes.

No, it's the same world it's always been, WE are the ones who've changed. We finally were forced to cast off the illusion - and make no mistake, it was always illusion - that America was unassailable. It's like our youth is finally over and we now have a collective sense of our own mortality, and desperately wishing to feel safe again is akin to wishing childhood back: it never works..

Yes, Karen. Well put.

I'm glad he died,and as an outsider I have no problem with the fact he got killed on the spot,that he didn't had a trial,or that people are happy...but I found very unsettling and in very bad taste to actually celebrate on the streets.I mean,I get it,I really do,and I would have no problems with people celebrating in their own houses,but on the streets?Unfortunately,it reflects poorly not only on who actually is dancing and cheering in the streets,but on the entire country.This could have been a huge chance to show class and to be the bigger people,to not celebrate a death publicy(while very much deserved),but to honour and remember the loved ones who lost their lives,and to honour the brave soldiers who made this possible,all together as a proud nation.This I would have loved to see,and would have got so much respect from all over the world.I get your point and reasons,but most don't.And I too have heard people comparing today celebrations to the ones people made after 9/11,from friends,from random people but also from news on tv.I'ts not good.I understand really well that his death his very simbolic,but in reality it hardly change anything.It is worth it to be perceived this way over it?
Italiahaircolor|1304349409|2910001 said:
I didn't go outside and cheer when the news broke...but I did go out and put up my American flag up.
Now this I like very much and I find it the best way to show proudness (is this even a word? lol) in an elegant way.I really admire you for it.

Asu|1304412646|2910877 said:
I'm glad he died,and as an outsider I have no problem with the fact he got killed on the spot,that he didn't had a trial,or that people are happy...but I found very unsettling and in very bad taste to actually celebrate on the streets.I mean,I get it,I really do,and I would have no problems with people celebrating in their own houses,but on the streets?Unfortunately,it reflects poorly not only on who actually is dancing and cheering in the streets,but on the entire country.This could have been a huge chance to show class and to be the bigger people,to not celebrate a death publicy(while very much deserved),but to honour and remember the loved ones who lost their lives,and to honour the brave soldiers who made this possible,all together as a proud nation.This I would have loved to see,and would have got so much respect from all over the world.I get your point and reasons,but most don't.And I too have heard people comparing today celebrations to the ones people made after 9/11,from friends,from random people but also from news on tv.I'ts not good.I understand really well that his death his very simbolic,but in reality it hardly change anything.It is worth it to be perceived this way over it?
Italiahaircolor|1304349409|2910001 said:
I didn't go outside and cheer when the news broke...but I did go out and put up my American flag up.
Now this I like very much and I find it the best way to show proudness (is this even a word? lol) in an elegant way.I really admire you for it.

Exactly...to all points in this post. I would rather we, as a nation, be perceived as caring and helpful instead of crazed and arrogant. I feel that dancing in the streets and celebrating 'our' face of terrorism's death is just in poor taste and that being more subtle about it would've spoken volumes more. As a nation, as these United States, hasn't our mission been for the most part when stepping in in times of trouble across the world, to demonstrate our willingness to HELP? I want us to be known for that, rather than "winners" of an uphill battle which will likely never be won by anyone. I get the need to flex and let it be known to the rest of the world that we won't take sh*t, and that we'll stand up for weaker nations, but I can't stand that other countries saw us in a very unflattering light last night.

I'm glad he died,and as an outsider I have no problem with the fact he got killed on the spot,that he didn't had a trial,or that people are happy...but I found very unsettling and in very bad taste to actually celebrate on the streets.I mean,I get it,I really do,and I would have no problems with people celebrating in their own houses,but on the streets?Unfortunately,it reflects poorly not only on who actually is dancing and cheering in the streets,but on the entire country.This could have been a huge chance to show class and to be the bigger people,to not celebrate a death publicy(while very much deserved),but to honour and remember the loved ones who lost their lives,and to honour the brave soldiers who made this possible,all together as a proud nation.This I would have loved to see,and would have got so much respect from all over the world.I get your point and reasons,but most don't.And I too have heard people comparing today celebrations to the ones people made after 9/11,from friends,from random people but also from news on tv.I'ts not good.I understand really well that his death his very simbolic,but in reality it hardly change anything.It is worth it to be perceived this way over it? .

So beautifully said Asu, you summed up my thoughts exactly.

his death his very simbolic
Oh boy,what a typo!Sorry girls,still not totally awake :bigsmile:

hawaiianorangetree|1304415915|2910889 said:
I'm glad he died,and as an outsider I have no problem with the fact he got killed on the spot,that he didn't had a trial,or that people are happy...but I found very unsettling and in very bad taste to actually celebrate on the streets.I mean,I get it,I really do,and I would have no problems with people celebrating in their own houses,but on the streets?Unfortunately,it reflects poorly not only on who actually is dancing and cheering in the streets,but on the entire country.This could have been a huge chance to show class and to be the bigger people,to not celebrate a death publicy(while very much deserved),but to honour and remember the loved ones who lost their lives,and to honour the brave soldiers who made this possible,all together as a proud nation.This I would have loved to see,and would have got so much respect from all over the world.I get your point and reasons,but most don't.And I too have heard people comparing today celebrations to the ones people made after 9/11,from friends,from random people but also from news on tv.I'ts not good.I understand really well that his death his very simbolic,but in reality it hardly change anything.It is worth it to be perceived this way over it? .

mine too.

bee*|1304419328|2910904 said:
hawaiianorangetree|1304415915|2910889 said:

mine too.

As an outsider, mine too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results