carat
color
clarity

Osama Bin Laden Dead

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayerling|1304337403|2909872 said:
OK. I understand people wanting to punish him for what he did. By why is killing him better than just having him tried at the International Court in the Hague? This is too much like the execution of Saddam to me.

Also, I wonder if American PSers would be so quick to cheer if his crimes had not been perpetrated against the US...

Yes, I would. Simply because the execution of pure evil is always a good thing in my book. Pure evil has no nationality, race, religion, gender, etc.
Is there any question about what he did? About the many thousands of innocent men, women and children that he executed? I am for the death penalty for this particular individual. What is the reason to put us through the expense, energy, time and stress of a huge trial? His death is hugely symbolic and I am happy he was killed.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why did they have to add to the ocean pollution by dumping that thing into it?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1304338258|2909877 said:
Why did they have to add to the ocean pollution by dumping that thing into it?

:cheeky:
good point!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1304336114|2909860 said:
All very PC & warm & fuzzy. Remember, UBL, Qaddafi & their brethren are proud of killing as many innocent people as possible. THIS someone's death helps you in that he will not be behind killing YOU, leaving your kids w/out a parent; behind killing THEM or their children. One UBL henchman hid behind a helpless woman in this raid, using her as a shield. How symbolic.

Look at the vids on Youtube of fathers, mothers, regular folks expecting a normal workday, hurtling 100 stories to bloody deaths rather than suffer incineration alive. Put yourself in a seat on any 9/11 plane, knowing the fiery end you'll experience in a few seconds (each second seeming like eternity) as you mourn for those you're leaving. See the video of Daniel Pearl's head being slowly sawed off, which they proudly circulated, photos of mothers at markets in Israel, blown to gory pieces on a sunny weekday.

Real life is messy. It's ugly a lot of times. Humans are ugly often. Moral relativity is BUNK -- there are universal rights & wrongs. I also believe in an inner light in people -- but these chose to extinguish it in themselves -- and in thousands they never met, using them as tools. As things. I'm glad UBL is dead and I don't care who died with him -- anyone around him shares his hatred. Too bad about Qaddafi's grandchildren -- but he KNEW he was a hunted man & put them in danger by coming to their house -- would YOU do that in the situation?

The partying is over the top -- but as I said, humans are often ugly & messy. And real life ain't no tea party.

--- Laurie

While I admit to not be the cheering type about such a serious situation, I have to also agree with Laurie that there is a vast, vast difference about people cheering the deaths of almost 3000 totally innocent people who were brutally murdered and the young students cheering the long awaited death of the evil murderer of those people last night. Hitler, OBL, and other evil men deserve justice, and the death penalty for those who have murdered thousands is appropriate and extremely important for the safety of our children and grandchildren.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
If it brings even an ounce of peace or closure to people who lost someone in 9/11, then it's worth it in my book.

Don't forget, he was responsible for many killings throughout the world, in the most cowardly way; acts of terrorism on unsuspecting, unarmed civilians. NOT ONCE did he put himself in danger. He sent his brainwashed operatives to kill and be killed, while sitting back and clapping his hands at their "success". If I were the wife or mother of one of these idiot (and now dead) followers, I would be happy today.

It's come out that he lived in comfort and ease in a mansion in Pakistan, typical of the Saudi prince that he is. He was living in air conditioned comfort while his duped followers were fighting battles and living in caves. If this doesn't make it clear to them that they were duped morons, then nothing will. He was evil in every way possible, not just to his victims, but also to his followers. He was another Hitler; a charismatic leader to a group of brain-washed, blood-thirsty, zealot followers.

It IS uncomfortable to us all to consider that, as American citizens, that we were at some level, complicit in his death. But he knew what he was doing, and he knew how he would die. He knew that the minute he bombed the USS Cole, the second he started planning the 9/11 attack. He was planning his own fate, and we just (FINALLY!) gave him the death he expected.

I just hope it brings a feeling of justice for those that lost loved ones at the hands of this b@stard. It doesn't do much for me, but if it helps them, then it is as it should be.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Diamond Seeker. I am not one that would join the crowds to cheer and celebrate, but I am happy in knowing that now that he is gone from this earth, he can truly receive the punishment that is due to him for his horrible actions during his life.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
By why is killing him better than just having him tried at the International Court in the Hague? This is too much like the execution of Saddam to me.

Let's look at the Hague Court.

1) How would we get UBL there? Out of the compound & after secret operation, w/the Pakistani army supporting him. Into a prison where? Keep him from being broken out. Make him a martyr & target for suicide jockies trying to spring him. How many allied soldiers would die protecting him? How many civilians as "punishment" and "warning?"

2) Milosevic was in custody for 2 years before his trial at the Hague started. He died of a heart attack FOUR YEARS later while proceedings were still dragging along. Six years & still in the trial's middle.

3) Charles Taylor has been in jail for FIVE YEARS & his Hague trial is just starting. How many years (decades?) will it last? Cost how much money?

4) The only punishment UBL would receive is life in prison -- no death penalty in the Hague Court. Who would accept him as a prisoner in their country? Certainly no Western nation; most of them shied away from fighting him. So, give him to a Middle Eastern prison? And how fast do you suppose he'd "escape?" With an even more vicious hatred?

5) How about the platform a trial would give him to spout his BS? What about his ability -- and don't doubt it -- to direct murder operations from his cell?

As to Saddam, his own people executed him. There were only Iraqis present. Not a single American.

If you are really interested in the truth about Saddam, ENEMY OF THE STATE: The Trial & Execution of Saddam Hussein, by Michael Newton & Michael Scharf, is a superb way to find it. These 2 attorneys were involved in helping the Iraqis breathe life into a good legal system destroyed by Saddam. It's a rivetting read; I couldn't put it down. I gained enormous respect & sympathy for the people of Iraq -- who had a democracy before Hussein. Evil does not describe that man. You'll get enough info on his vileness to understand their need for revenge -- yet as they prepared to hang him, some Iraqis in the room were trying to make it less brutal. Emotions were too strong -- everyone in Iraq had family members & friends tortured by him.

Do some reading. It will help you form whatever opinion actual facts -- not fuzzy "kindness" -- lead you to.

--- Laurie

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All very PC & warm & fuzzy. Remember, UBL, Qaddafi & their brethren are proud of killing as many innocent people as possible. THIS someone's death helps you in that he will not be behind killing YOU, leaving your kids w/out a parent; behind killing THEM or their children. One UBL henchman hid behind a helpless woman in this raid, using her as a shield. How symbolic.

Look at the vids on Youtube of fathers, mothers, regular folks expecting a normal workday, hurtling 100 stories to bloody deaths rather than suffer incineration alive. Put yourself in a seat on any 9/11 plane, knowing the fiery end you'll experience in a few seconds (each second seeming like eternity) as you mourn for those you're leaving. See the video of Daniel Pearl's head being slowly sawed off, which they proudly circulated, photos of mothers at markets in Israel, blown to gory pieces on a sunny weekday.

Real life is messy. It's ugly a lot of times. Humans are ugly often. Moral relativity is BUNK -- there are universal rights & wrongs. I also believe in an inner light in people -- but these chose to extinguish it in themselves -- and in thousands they never met, using them as tools. As things. I'm glad UBL is dead and I don't care who died with him -- anyone around him shares his hatred. Too bad about Qaddafi's grandchildren -- but he KNEW he was a hunted man & put them in danger by coming to their house -- would YOU do that in the situation?

The partying is over the top -- but as I said, humans are often ugly & messy. And real life ain't no tea party.

--- Laurie

I like this, JewelFreak. Very well put.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1304313514|2909775 said:
I'm of the John Donne school in which, "every man's death diminshes me". I believe in the Quaker "inner light" within all men, although, as my father says, the light within a certain individual sometimes seems very dim!!!

They showed footage of a crowd gathered outside the White House and young guys were chest bumping and cheering. YIKES.

However, I have a hard time celebrating someone's death. How does anyone's death help me? In fact I was saddened that the allies of the US would go after a family residence of Muammar Qaddafi and celebrate killing his son and grandchildren today. Since when are people's homes viable targets in war? Since when are civilian children viable targets?

--- Laurie

All I said was I don't think it's appropriate to chest bump each other outside the White House in celebration of someone's death. I didn't say he shouldn't have been killed. What's warm and fuzzy and PC about that?

Life isn't a tea party, but it's not a video game, either.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I guess I hear what some posters here say they find it "unsettling" to see celebration at the WH because of OBL's death. However I couldn't be happier and more proud of our service men who accomplished this! And I don't find it unsettling that we were celebrating the death of this individual. His reason in life was to kill as many American men, women, and children as possible. His MO was to mislead and use his people to accomplish it. He had no inner light, and in fact his goal in life was to extinguish the light of Americans world wide. The world is a better place without OBL in it. And I make no bones about that.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
missy|1304337905|2909875 said:
OK. I understand people wanting to punish him for what he did. By why is killing him better than just having him tried at the International Court in the Hague? This is too much like the execution of Saddam to me.

Also, I wonder if American PSers would be so quick to cheer if his crimes had not been perpetrated against the US...

Yes, I would. Simply because the execution of pure evil is always a good thing in my book. Pure evil has no nationality, race, religion, gender, etc.
Is there any question about what he did? About the many thousands of innocent men, women and children that he executed? I am for the death penalty for this particular individual. What is the reason to put us through the expense, energy, time and stress of a huge trial? His death is hugely symbolic and I am happy he was killed.

Did you experience the same degree of jubilation when Slobodan Milosevic was arrested?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1304341098|2909902 said:
By why is killing him better than just having him tried at the International Court in the Hague? This is too much like the execution of Saddam to me.

Let's look at the Hague Court.

1) How would we get UBL there? Out of the compound & after secret operation, w/the Pakistani army supporting him. Into a prison where? Keep him from being broken out. Make him a martyr & target for suicide jockies trying to spring him. How many allied soldiers would die protecting him? How many civilians as "punishment" and "warning?"

2) Milosevic was in custody for 2 years before his trial at the Hague started. He died of a heart attack FOUR YEARS later while proceedings were still dragging along. Six years & still in the trial's middle.

3) Charles Taylor has been in jail for FIVE YEARS & his Hague trial is just starting. How many years (decades?) will it last? Cost how much money?

4) The only punishment UBL would receive is life in prison -- no death penalty in the Hague Court. Who would accept him as a prisoner in their country? Certainly no Western nation; most of them shied away from fighting him. So, give him to a Middle Eastern prison? And how fast do you suppose he'd "escape?" With an even more vicious hatred?

5) How about the platform a trial would give him to spout his BS? What about his ability -- and don't doubt it -- to direct murder operations from his cell?

As to Saddam, his own people executed him. There were only Iraqis present. Not a single American.

If you are really interested in the truth about Saddam, ENEMY OF THE STATE: The Trial & Execution of Saddam Hussein, by Michael Newton & Michael Scharf, is a superb way to find it. These 2 attorneys were involved in helping the Iraqis breathe life into a good legal system destroyed by Saddam. It's a rivetting read; I couldn't put it down. I gained enormous respect & sympathy for the people of Iraq -- who had a democracy before Hussein. Evil does not describe that man. You'll get enough info on his vileness to understand their need for revenge -- yet as they prepared to hang him, some Iraqis in the room were trying to make it less brutal. Emotions were too strong -- everyone in Iraq had family members & friends tortured by him.

Do some reading. It will help you form whatever opinion actual facts -- not fuzzy "kindness" -- lead you to.

--- Laurie

Uncalled for.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
This is fantastic news and so glad I stayed up late last night to watch the coverage. I had no issue with the spontaneous cheering and gatherings - this is how people reacted naturally and wanted to express it and god knows it was peaceful unlike many other celebratory gaterhings around the world. As someone who was in NYC in 2001 (and working here today), there is undescribeable feeling of justice at last. I am so glad it happened this way (Navy Seals in a very controlled operation) and not a natural death or brought back for some hyped trial. Today is a good day (or yesterday).

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm with KSinger and JewelFreak - I don't have it in me to put on a party hat and start a conga line over anyone's death, but that doesn't mean that I don't celebrate his demise. And I think that's hugely different from cheering an act of terrorism resulting in the deaths of non-combatants who haven't even had the warning of a declaration of war.

I usually get hit with the PC-liberal stick a lot myself, but I think it goes to far to equate the two - it's essentialist to claim that all cultural programing and all emotional responses are exactly and precisely equal. The celebrating crowds on 9/11 had been religiously programmed to believe that they were persecuted and any and all actions that hurt the US and by extension Israel were right and good: I get that. In an equal way, much of America has been trained to believe that Bin Laden was pure evil. But ... one of these things was caused by complex social pressures dating back roughly 90 years, if we look at the origins of Israel, and one of these things was caused by a specific attack on innocent people. BIG difference.

For what it's worth, I do believe in capital punishment for crimes that irrevocably mar the lives of others (murder, rape, torture), and I feel the same way about those "smaller" cases: relieved that that specific criminal won't be able to do any more harm. And I don't believe in capital-E-evil: I think it's a moral cop-out that allows people to feel justified in their actions because the people who get tagged with it are so Other that they don't matter anymore. Bin Laden wasn't Evil: he was a human being who made some very wrong choices. And, yeah, by my lights, those choices are quite enough to have signed his death warrant. I'm happy to bear whatever moral complicity might be necessary on that belief.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the one hand, I am glad. The consequences of his horrible acts are just.

The cheering and partying bother me a little. I do understand it. However justified and right it is, it is still ugly. The deaths of all the
people in 911 was tragic. Osama bin Laden's death is not tragic but justice. It had to be done. It just doesn't make me want to cheer.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
This is a psychological victory for the US. I feel like some justice has been made to balance out the almost 3k deaths of 9/11. It may not make a difference in the world, or how terrorists act from now on, but it sure as heck makes us, as Americans, FEEL BETTER. I would not be one of the many out celebrating, however I can't deny some sort of weight lifted feeling that I have.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
God bless the Navy Seals!

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
rhbgirl24|1304345852|2909958 said:
This is a psychological victory for the US. I feel like some justice has been made to balance out the almost 3k deaths of 9/11. It may not make a difference in the world, or how terrorists act from now on, but it sure as heck makes us, as Americans, FEEL BETTER. I would not be one of the many out celebrating, however I can't deny some sort of weight lifted feeling that I have.
and not much else.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1304339412|2909885 said:

--- Laurie

While I admit to not be the cheering type about such a serious situation, I have to also agree with Laurie that there is a vast, vast difference about people cheering the deaths of almost 3000 totally innocent people who were brutally murdered and the young students cheering the long awaited death of the evil murderer of those people last night. Hitler, OBL, and other evil men deserve justice, and the death penalty for those who have murdered thousands is appropriate and extremely important for the safety of our children and grandchildren.

Agreed here.

I'm happy the man is dead. He plotted the death of mass numbers of innocent people. That deserves punishment. I believe that Hell or its equivalent, is reserved for people like him. It's a very rare day that I'd wish death on someone, but I was waiting for his. Today is a day to be thankful that an evil murderer is dead, regardless of whether you celebrate it or not.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
lliang_chi|1304342498|2909917 said:
I guess I hear what some posters here say they find it "unsettling" to see celebration at the WH because of OBL's death. However I couldn't be happier and more proud of our service men who accomplished this! And I don't find it unsettling that we were celebrating the death of this individual. His reason in life was to kill as many American men, women, and children as possible. His MO was to mislead and use his people to accomplish it. He had no inner light, and in fact his goal in life was to extinguish the light of Americans world wide. The world is a better place without OBL in it. And I make no bones about that.

Like I said, don't get me wrong, I'm happy about this! And I didn't have an issue with the cheering for the same reason Thing2 did (in terms of capital punishment). I found it unsettling because of perception - and I think the what the US does and the perception of what the US is, IS important, and what we appear like as a people count toward that. I notice here that the people who found the celebration unsettling (after I posted last night) are not Americans. That was what I was thinking last night when I posted this. When I was in Europe in 2003, we declared war on Iraq, and I was really amazed at how the news affected the people there (I was in Italy at the time). I talked to people back home and they said there wasn't much going on, but all over Italy there were demonstrations, more pace flags than I could count and EVERYONE was talking about it. And when they found out I was American, they either had a lot to tell me or didn't want to talk to me at all.

So again, I do want to say I understand why people are so happy, and why some people want to break out the bubbly. But I just wondered what kinds of reaction non Americans would have to them doing so.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I didn't go outside and cheer when the news broke...but I did go out and put up my American flag up.

We need to remember 9/11 and recall that day in perfect in clarity to allow ourself to have this day. Just think of the fear, pain and ongoing blows to this country has suffered that came at the hands of that "mastermind". Without the depraved mind of Bin Laden, children would still have their parents, parents would still have their children, we would be living in a different world today. He ruined lives in one swoop and the aftermath is still reverberating through this country.

People have been waiting for 10 YEARS for some moment of "ah ha", to breathe, to have justice...and how that moment comes, and individuals are feeling it, be it in joyful celebration or tears... and that should be okay. Our countries grief has been bottled up since the first moment that plane hit the the first tower. And now there is resolution. He was an evil, evil, evil man who hurt so many people and no one can't argue that, this world will be a better place without influence. I'm not a political person and I'm not a world news person, I wish I could mull over all the happenings but I can't...I'm just some person who is looking only at this event and thinking good riddance to bad rubbish. Even in his final moments, as the reports are saying, his final act was to use a woman as a human shield and it's in that act you see the value he places on life and innocence and even if there is another bad man waiting to take his place, we're still better off without him being alive and influencing others.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
princesss|1304306717|2909696 said:
I don't really even know how to feel right now. That's not quite right. I don't quite know how to put what I feel into words. Probably won't be able to put it into words for a while.

Nervous about potential retaliation, definitely. Doubt it'll really make a difference in our safety, in all honesty.

Ditto princess - every single word.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Oil is down and the U.S. stock market is up on the news of OBL's death.

I won't comment on the protests, but I do hope his death reduces some of the feelings of uncertainty and gloom and fear in the world economy.

And no matter how you feel about U.S. involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan, I hope OBL's death puts the focus back on the immense sacrifice required on the part of our servicemen and women throughout this nearly decade-long "War on Terror." I also hope this brings more news coverage of the need for increased medical, emotional and financial support for the veterans of these wars.

And speaking of our servicemen and women -- anybody heard from Andelain lately?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad he's dead and all that, but I'm not sure if it will really change anything. I'm concerned that if anything, we'll be less safe. He has so many followers and I'm sure there are people jumping at the opportunity to take his place. I'm less upset by the fact that people are cheering death, than by what those videos will mean to his followers. Who needs propaganda when they can just show clips from CNN?

Its like how killing Hitler wouldn't have ended WWII. It would have been a huge victory, but there were plenty of other sickos in positions of power within his administration to continue his work.

My point is, its a victory, but the war's not over yet.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I think Tgal has a valid observation (and I also spent alot of time out of the US). However I think the view/perception of the US is due to a myriad of issues, some of it layerd and complicated. Overall the US goes out of its way to consider its position on the world stage sometimes with success, sometimes not..and in this case a burial at sea is another example of how the US tries to consider all angles, even for such a hated figure.

But ultimately one cannot censor the natural reaction of its citizens to news like this - If that bothers other nations, individuals that is their right, but it doesn't make it wrong or unnatural, especially when it is out of jubilation and done peacefully (and most were in locations which were hit hardest with crowds filled with the younger gneration who grew up with this threat). I think there are people who might have been bothered by the cheering in Tahiri Sq in Egypt, or after world cups -- but the expression of nationalism by the masses has been a part of the human fabric for sometime and while it's bound to offend some, I think it's ridiculous to have to defend it..again ,especially when done peacefully. As has been stated by national leaders many times over the past decade, there is war on terror and essentially this was a victory as part of that war. Just like after WWI and WWII when you saw jubliation in the streets.

PS In terms of concern that this doesn't end our sense of insecurity/threat of terrorism - well of course it doesn't. This will be a perpetual battle, and something most nations have dealt with for decades (local terrorism and global); it is unfortunately a part of modern society. The US was lucky to avoid it this long. You still go about your life, you take obvious precautions, but you can't live in fear. Just like you don't live day to day worried about tornados, car crashes, kidnappers, etc.

Viola

Shiny_Rock
mayerling said:

Did you experience the same degree of jubilation when Slobodan Milosevic was arrested?

Mayerling, I have to say that you posted a great question.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
There hasn't been much to celebrate lately in the U.S., given the economy & a president who constantly tells us & the world what greedy foolish people we are. It's all pretty depressing.

That may be at the root of the crowd surges. They are not attractive to see. They're also silly because UBL's death will not change anything -- Al Qaeda & its brother orgs. will continue seeking all means to kill every one of us. I think these sorts of demonstrations are appropriate only for the end of a war or winning a sports championship.

Did not mean to sound so stern in my earlier post. My knickers get twisted a bit at the idea that we should mourn the death of any man, no matter what he has done, or give him for "trial" to international bureaucrats not answerable to anyone, who show a record of believing in Flower Power above all. That stuff is for Utopia & works only if all participants buy into it. In our dreams!

--- Laurie

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1304352202|2910034 said:
There hasn't been much to celebrate lately in the U.S., given the economy & a president who constantly tells us & the world what greedy foolish people we are. It's all pretty depressing.

That may be at the root of the crowd surges. They are not attractive to see. They're also silly because UBL's death will not change anything -- Al Qaeda & its brother orgs. will continue seeking all means to kill every one of us. I think these sorts of demonstrations are appropriate only for the end of a war or winning a sports championship.Did not mean to sound so stern in my earlier post. My knickers get twisted a bit at the idea that we should mourn the death of any man, no matter what he has done, or give him for "trial" to international bureaucrats not answerable to anyone, who show a record of believing in Flower Power above all. That stuff is for Utopia & works only if all participants buy into it. In our dreams!

--- Laurie

Ha, agree. Which is why I certainly get people celebrating after WWI and WWII!

FWIW, I didn't think you were overly stern. I think most everyone has actually been very polite on this thread, even while having differing opinions. Really makes me think that we are ready for ATW: ELECTION YEAR 2012. Who''s with me?????? :naughty:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1304352202|2910034 said:

That may be at the root of the crowd surges. They are not attractive to see. They're also silly because UBL's death will not change anything -- Al Qaeda & its brother orgs. will continue seeking all means to kill every one of us. I think these sorts of demonstrations are appropriate only for the end of a war or winning a sports championship.

Did not mean to sound so stern in my earlier post. My knickers get twisted a bit at the idea that we should mourn the death of any man, no matter what he has done, or give him for "trial" to international bureaucrats not answerable to anyone, who show a record of believing in Flower Power above all. That stuff is for Utopia & works only if all participants buy into it. In our dreams!

--- Laurie

Who said we should mourn Osama bin Laden's death? As far as I can recall, no one did.

I specifically said I'm not upset in the least, but that celebrating anyone's death doesn't seem right. (Particularly since the death of bin Laden doesn't end anything.) Apparently nuance is lost on you, and anyone refraining from high-fiving and chest-bumping someone's death is a hippie idiot.

That's fine-I'll stay over here in my utopian flower power land and watch as all the Real Americans high five each other and cheer.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayerling|1304343086|2909926 said:

Not to the same degree because unfortunately he died before justice could be served. It was a pity for justice that the trial could not be completed and no verdict rendered. It deprived his countess victims of the justice they deserved- but at least he is dead.
The death of Bin Laden was extra sweet in my eyes because it was at the hands of Americans. A justice he so richly deserved.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results