shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible overblue?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I just picked up a suspiciously discounted diamond and set it in a ring. I like curiosities, so if this is an overblue, that is fine.
As it is a strong blue, and notes internal graining on a VS2, might this turn out to be an overblue? I will find out in a few weeks, but what do you think for the potential?
PS< I know this is not a traditional fine PS cut, it's okay, and I was okay for the discounted price.

picture.png :)

Screenshot 2024-08-24 142509.png

Screenshot 2024-08-24 142541.png

No way to tell from the info available but the potential is there.

Thanks! You know....super cheap 1.2, looks relatively nice on looped runway sequence...and a strong blue with internal graining. I mean, what could go wrong? LOL the cut advisor said 3.4, so she's not a classic PS beauty.

Ooh, I hope so. It's such a cool effect.

Maybe! It’s funny how hard it can be to get serious milkiness even when we want it.

We need an Alternative Concierge, who, instead of finding you the diamond with the best light return, looks for stuff like overblue fluoro or chonky facets on steep-n-deeps.

Maybe! It’s funny how hard it can be to get serious milkiness even when we want it.

We need an Alternative Concierge, who, instead of finding you the diamond with the best light return, looks for stuff like overblue fluoro or chonky facets on steep-n-deeps.
Or maybe both together....... Depth: 72.77% Table: 53.96%
1724717946603.png

I just picked up a suspiciously discounted diamond and set it in a ring. I like curiosities, so if this is an overblue, that is fine.
As it is a strong blue, and notes internal graining on a VS2, might this turn out to be an overblue? I will find out in a few weeks, but what do you think for the potential?
PS< I know this is not a traditional fine PS cut, it's okay, and I was okay for the discounted price.

picture.png :)

Screenshot 2024-08-24 142509.png

Screenshot 2024-08-24 142541.png

I really like the color of this even if it’s not over blue. Look forward to seeing your pictures.

I really like the color of this even if it’s not over blue. Look forward to seeing your pictures.

How fun!!! Good for you, can't wait to see what shows up.

Thanks for the moral support :).
The twirly video, below. From James Allen, I don't have the GIA Cert number.
I guess we'll just wait and see how it is. It is being set in a simple yellow gold bezel in 14kbezel.png

You can not tell in LED lighting used for videos and photos if a diamond is overblue (which is a term that I have no definition for). But as the first stone in this post will be milky because GIA detected internal graining (They almost always miss it).

You can not tell in LED lighting used for videos and photos if a diamond is overblue (which is a term that I have no definition for). But as the first stone in this post will be milky because GIA detected internal graining (They almost always miss it).

The first stone then may turn a milky blue outside (what I use as overblue) following the lingo I have heard tossed around as the blue hazy effect outdoors. I'm just weird enough to be okay with this, as in a rock collector curiosity.

Crossing my fingers that is does fine indoors. Would the VS2 take the graining under consideration, or could it be a sad disfigured VS2? :D.

Feels like my diamond collection could be a "race you to the bottom" kinda collection. HAHAHAHA. I may not have the best, but the notoriety....

Last edited:
Maybe the labs have flipped the script.... Good luck trying to find an overblue warm Cape tinted synthetic
In a sense, your M VS2 +SB is a round little cousin of the Portugese M VS1 VSB....

Somebody in the "Natural Diamond marketing dept" should made a batch of Mini Portugese Asscher with some Grainy VSB M rough.... sell em at the Smithsonian Gift Shop

1724764285132.png

Last edited:
Maybe the labs have flipped the script.... Good luck trying to find an overblue warm Cape tinted synthetic
In a sense, your M VS2 +SB is a round little cousin of the Portugese M VS1 VSB....

Somebody in the "Natural Diamond marketing dept" should made a batch of Mini Portugese Asscher with some Grainy VSB M rough.... sell em at the Smithsonian Gift Shop

1724764285132.png

Thanks for posting about this diamond. If mine behaves close to this, I will be thrilled. Flipped the script indeed, I am here for it. I bet that’s amazing in person.

I like your collection. These are minerals from the earth at the end of the day. I think it’s amazing that rocks like this can be dug up, with all their weird characteristics.

I like your collection. These are minerals from the earth at the end of the day. I think it’s amazing that rocks like this can be dug up, with all their weird characteristics.
This is definitely my happy place. I find inclusions add interest and are even beautiful sometimes. Glad there is room for all at PS.

I just got an Old Antique spready cushion D VS2 with SB Fluor, I can't wait to see how it does outside
That is exciting! Please post lots of pictures. D SB Antique cut will be other worldly!

The first stone then may turn a milky blue outside (what I use as overblue) following the lingo I have heard tossed around as the blue hazy effect outdoors. I'm just weird enough to be okay with this, as in a rock collector curiosity.

Crossing my fingers that is does fine indoors. Would the VS2 take the graining under consideration, or could it be a sad disfigured VS2? :D.

Feels like my diamond collection could be a "race you to the bottom" kinda collection. HAHAHAHA. I may not have the best, but the notoriety....
The milky effect in some very strong and strong blue diamonds makes the stone go white - overblue is not quite the right term.
@oldminer Dave Atlas can explain because he proudly wears a perfect example and loves the effect.
I feel the blue people see is largely from the sky as the intensity of N3 blue fluorescence is not so strong as to make the stone in bright UV rich daylight light is just have a tinge of blue. In the dark the blue becomes obvious.
Here are a few of several pics he sent me of his ring:
1724799522335.png

@Garry H (Cut Nut) thanks for sharing the pictures. What a cool diamond. I see that white effect, not blue. I find the changes so interesting - I'm with @oldminer on this one. This is a strong milky effect. I have four VSB and none go white and milky like this in regular lighting, except for full on UV lamp.

I just got an Old Antique spready cushion D VS2 with SB Fluor, I can't wait to see how it does outside

Do you have any sneak peek pics? :)

Strong fluorescence combined with internal graining can do fun things! The diamonds I have seen with strong fluorescence without enough internal graining aren’t as interesting. Curious to see what you find with yours!

For fans of fluorescence, the fancy yellow has strong yellow fluorescence according to GIA, but looks green in person. The fluorescence is strong enough to make the fancy yellow look green in stronger sunlight and LED spotlighting. The fancy light pinkish brown has strong blue fluorescence strong enough to make it look white in stronger sunlight and LED spotlighting. Both have internal graining that in combination with strong fluorescence make them go milky in stronger sunlight and LED spotlighting.

1/4 Diffused sunlight indoors
2/4 Indirect sunlight in car
3/4 Direct sunlight in car
4/4 LED spotlighting

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP