shape
carat
color
clarity

REALLY UPSET WITH GOG Long vent!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 10/29/2008 10:21:12 AM
Author: Demelza

Threadjack alert -- You mentioned that you sold your Ritani. Would you mind sharing where you sold it? I have a designer mounting I need to sell. I've thought about consignment or Ebay, but I'm wondering if there's another way to go. You always seem to do quite well selling your old mountings. Thanks!
Hey Dem,

You of all people probably understand me the most as I know you are the way with your jewelery as I am with mine, so thanks for understanding.

I sold two ritani rings on ebay and I sold my Leon Mege and one ritani band on another website.

butterfly, I know you are upset and I genuinely understand why - I would be p***sed too hon..
I''m sure you knew when you started this thread it would attract mixed and strong reactions - (they always do). I just don''t see how dragging things out is advantageous to anyone now.
You have said your peace, hopefully Jon will fix it. If not, by all means let everyone know !
But I just personally can''t see how getting mad at other posters is gonna help you feel any better.
I''m sorry, I hope you understand I''m coming from a good place, I know it is easier said for me not in your shoes.
I hope this issue doesn''t cause you much more trouble sweet. ((hugs)).

We all *know* he agreed to fix the ring from the beginning, I don't think that that is where the problem lies, it's about HOW Rhino expressed himself in the email, suggesting that Butterfly had damaged her own ring, and in a very discreet way suggesting that she was lying, but going on saying hey we'll fix it for you anyway. That would drive me bonkers.

Date: 10/29/2008 11:16:06 AM
Author: arjunajane
butterfly, I know you are upset and I genuinely understand why - I would be p***sed too hon..
I''m sure you knew when you started this thread it would attract mixed and strong reactions - (they always do). I just don''t see how dragging things out is advantageous to anyone now.
You have said your peace, hopefully Jon will fix it. If not, by all means let everyone know !
But I just personally can''t see how getting mad at other posters is gonna help you feel any better.
I''m sorry, I hope you understand I''m coming from a good place, I know it is easier said for me not in your shoes.
I hope this issue doesn''t cause you much more trouble sweet. ((hugs)).

Thanks, I guess I feel the need to defend myself when I feel I am being attacked. I don''t think I got mad at anyone except for one particular poster, but I guess I am reading into the tone of her post as I feel it really didn''t offer anything constructive, so why bother posting at all.

I knew this thread would attract mixed and strong reactions, and being a person that normally avoids posting on many of the inflammatory threads, I posted anyway because I really felt and still feel that I was wronged.

I am not trying to drag it out, just trying to respond to what others are posting in response to my thread. I can be long winded at times, I realize that.
2.gif

Butterfly, what are your next steps? Are you going to take it back to GOG and see if they can fix/replace it?

I have been reading this thread since it was first posted.

It is interesting to see the comments of everyone involved. I too would be very upset if a ring I sent off in excellent condition came back to me like that. Ok so it is not your engagement ring now, but even with a less expensive stone, the actual ring setting held some sentiment to you. (I would love to see pics of the diamond in its new setting
1.gif
)

I too understand that your main reason for posting here was to vent about the sutomer service you recieved. A lot of other people have commented how good GOG usually are on this front, but I agree that the responses initially were a little unprofessional.

I am glad that GOG are offering to fix the damage done to the ring (I agree that the damage done could not possibly be from yourself...it looks like impact to each prong...that would be nigh on impossible for you to do IMHO).

I honestly hope that you are pleased wth the ring once it has been fixed to your original standard.

*hugs*

Hello everyone and thanks for replying, whether or not I did the right thing by posting this thread and whether or not everyone agrees or disagrees, or agrees to disagree, I still value everyone''s constructive criticism and suggestions.

My only defense in this thread for those who are questioning why I did not try to fix the matter privately, is that i actually did try to fix the matter privately.

Perhaps I should have posted a thread with the title-"GOG messed up my ring, but now it''s fixed, before and after pictures inside, terrible yet ultimately positive experience in the end". But that would kind of defeat the purpose as I really felt bad about this experience and posting it 4 weeks from now would not be the same.

If this had happened from another vendor, I would still have posted this thread and I think if it was some B&M store, some of the responses on this thread would have been a little different. This is definitely not a popularity contest, but if I had posted that Joe Low''s had done this to my ring, and I have had it for two weeks like this and they are claiming they didn''t do it, I am sure everyone''s stance would be different.

And yes, they agreed to fix it, but do you really think it will look like before? I doubt it. I basically gave them a brand new setting and no matter how much polishing they do, I am positive it still won''t look right.
40.gif

Date: 10/29/2008 11:08:39 AM
Author: butterfly 17
Date: 10/29/2008 10:21:12 AM

Threadjack alert -- You mentioned that you sold your Ritani. Would you mind sharing where you sold it? I have a designer mounting I need to sell. I''ve thought about consignment or Ebay, but I''m wondering if there''s another way to go. You always seem to do quite well selling your old mountings. Thanks!

Hey Dem,

You of all people probably understand me the most as I know you are the way with your jewelery as I am with mine, so thanks for understanding.

I sold two ritani rings on ebay and I sold my Leon Mege and one ritani band on another website.

YES! I do understand...all too well. I really hope you get your mounting back in pristine condition.

Thanks for the recommendations. I saw the website you were referring to before you edited your post. I will try them. How do you figure out pricing? I was thinking of trying for half of retail??

Date: 10/29/2008 11:44:42 AM
Author: goobear78
Butterfly, what are your next steps? Are you going to take it back to GOG and see if they can fix/replace it?
I want to mail it back to them. I sent a few emails already saying I would like to mail it back to them and to tell me how to do it as I need to know what to do what I need to do packaging/insurance wise, but they still have not answered me.

I don''t want to call the store anymore as I am afraid I won''t be civil with them. i know that''s wrong of me, but that''s how I feel at the moment.
40.gif

This whole problem would never have happened if...

1) the condition of the ring( with any damage) was recorded on the store repair envelope by the staff member. Also bringing to the customers attention that gauges this deep will not polish out.Any pre-owned jewelry should be louped for damage and then recorded.Customer should never sign the envelope without the condition recorded.

2)The bench jeweler would have made sure that if there is this type of damage then management should be made aware of it BEFORE work is done so customer could be contacted that there is a problem.

Things frequently go wrong with repair work done to used jewelry items. SO long as the final outcome is just right, everything leading up to it is serving to avert a crisis. Even when people misunderstand eachother or don''t communicate their actual intentions clearly, the end result can make the entire thing a lot better. Maybe it can''t be a perfect ending, but it can be good enough to take a breath and realize it is all rather small concerns which create much of the turmoil. They just seem to add up, get bigger and bigger and finally must be resolved.

I sure hope the resolution is as good as the promises now made to fix it. I''m pretty sure, a very good job can be done on this attempt. The forum here does get the attention of any offender...............!!!

I recently had some threaten to out my old firm for refusing the return of an Ideal-Scope months after the last return date on the web sales site. In this case, I felt the truth would be a sufficient defense for the refusal. Bad publicity is painful and should be avoided, but a vendor can withstand pressure if they are totally without fault. If anything the vendor must bend to the wishes of their customer to any extent possible even when there is doubt. That''s simply the right policy for any vendor to follow so loong as communication is good and the possibility of making the customer feel better still exists.

Date: 10/29/2008 12:02:40 PM

YES! I do understand...all too well. I really hope you get your mounting back in pristine condition.

Thanks for the recommendations. I saw the website you were referring to before you edited your post. I will try them. How do you figure out pricing? I was thinking of trying for half of retail??

Pricing, hmm, I don''t know. It depends on if it''s designer and how much I really want or don''t want it. I thnk you can ask for more than half if it''s designer and less if it isn''t.

Like my ritani bands. I paid $1250 for each one back then. I sold them for $950 each. I figured if I didn''t get at least that, I would not bother selling them. Not bad considering I had them for 4 years and I knew I would not get what I paid for them. I actually sold one by accident. I only listed one band on both ebay and the other website. I sold it first on the other website, but forgot to remove the listing on ebay and when I looked that same day, it had been purchased with a BIN.

The LM solitaire I paid $1000 back then and sold it for $750( or $770, I can''t remember), but I also contacted LM so he would do a free resizing for the person I sold it to as well.

I currently have this ring on the other website, you probably have seen it by now. That''s how much it''s current condition bothers me!
2.gif

Hmmm, what are you selling????
3.gif

Jewelerman and old miner,
Thanks for your professional and very much appreciated responses.

Thank you to everyone actually, even though I did not get a chance to respond to everyone, I appreciate them.

Butterfly, I don''t post much anymore, but I just wanted to tell you that I sympathize with you. I had an issue with a vendor here also, and although it was resolved, I was unhappy about how it was handled. I hope everything turns out well with your ring, and it looks as perfect as it did when you gave it to them.

Butterfly wrote, "And yes, they agreed to fix it, but do you really think it will look like before? I doubt it. I basically gave them a brand new setting and no matter how much polishing they do, I am positive it still won''t look right."

I realize you are disappointed with them but IMHO your attitude here is not fair when you state, "I am positive it still won''t look right."

Give them a chance. They know the world is watching. (Not that they wouldn''t have made it right if this were handled privately.)

Date: 10/29/2008 2:55:59 PM
Author: Moh 10
Butterfly wrote, 'And yes, they agreed to fix it, but do you really think it will look like before? I doubt it. I basically gave them a brand new setting and no matter how much polishing they do, I am positive it still won't look right.'

I realize you are disappointed with them but IMHO your attitude here is not fair when you state, 'I am positive it still won't look right.'

Give them a chance. They know the world is watching. (Not that they wouldn't have made it right if this were handled privately.)
I'll replace them if necessary. Not the problem. I've identified the *real* problem.

Being tied up at the counter most of the day yesterday and punching out the email that made butterfly upset ... I totally see where she is coming from. I should have not rushed that email out but pondered more before I hit send.

I was having this mental block because I knew scratches were put on it from us that she made us aware of a few weeks ago and I offered from the get go with butterfly to take care of it for her anytime at her convenience ... as I reread my correspondence from yesterday I did say to her "all" the marks on the ring are from wear insinuating that she put on "all" the marks when in fact I meant to say "some".
40.gif
Argh. That would have pissed me off too and I totally understand the *why* behind your post. I would have done it too.

Ok... I get jerk of the day award.
14.gif
39.gif
Line up to take your nuggies but go easy on me.

butterfly ... I really am sorry about that miscommunication on my part.

Okay, we'll go easy Jon, but we each wouldn't mind a little something or our trouble.
How bout, oh, say, a 2-carat E VVS1 hand-selected kicking asscher for each of us for our trouble?
18.gif

Better yet, how bout a pair of those blingers for earrings?
30.gif

Seriously, can you share what the "real" problem was? Enquiring minds, and all.

Date: 10/29/2008 3:21:53 PM
Okay, we''ll go easy Jon, but we each wouldn''t mind a little something or our trouble.
How bout, oh, say, a 2-carat E VVS1 hand selected kicking asscher each for our trouble?
18.gif

Better yet, how bout a pair of those blingers for earrings?

Seriously, can you share what the ''real'' problem was? Enquiring minds, and all.
A communication error on my part and the misunderstanding that resulted. I told her All the scratches/marks on the prongs were caused by her wear when they were not. In that email I DO sound very insinuating that it was all butterfly''s fault when in fact it was not. In fact the pictures show evidence of the use of a tool, particularly the deeper marks. It is my professional opinion that the pictures reveal more scratches than what would typicallly result from a simple unmounting/remounting but I may be wrong and that is only an opinion because I did not physically see the ring before and after. Only from the pictures that were sent yesterday. I totally believe butterfly, understand why she is upset and will take care of her as if I were taking care of a sister.
17.gif

yeah! I love happy ending!!!
1.gif

Rhino,
That''s what I was looking for. Should have done that yesterday, but I won''t flog ya. Good job. You might want to flog your benchman though... Just sayin.
3.gif

Date: 10/29/2008 2:55:59 PM
Butterfly wrote, ''And yes, they agreed to fix it, but do you really think it will look like before? I doubt it. I basically gave them a brand new setting and no matter how much polishing they do, I am positive it still won''t look right.''

I realize you are disappointed with them but IMHO your attitude here is not fair when you state, ''I am positive it still won''t look right.''

Give them a chance. They know the world is watching. (Not that they wouldn''t have made it right if this were handled privately.)
Yes, I guess you are right, I should be positive about this, I mean, it can''t really be any worse, can it?
2.gif

I can''t say what it will look like until it is actually done. But, from my previous posts in other threads, you will see that I am really anal about all my jewelery and notice every little detail/flaw. So, if there are any marks left, I will definitely notice it.

Don''t worry, once I get the ring fixed, I will post pictures so you can tell me what you think.

BTW, another reason why I am a little upset is that I was contemplating putting my diamond back into this setting as the simon g one is kind of flashy (I posted about this in one of Maisy''s threads) and I was not sure if I wanted that much attention. There is no way I would put my real diamond into this setting.

Date: 10/29/2008 3:43:56 PM
Author: Rhino

A communication error on my part and the misunderstanding that resulted. I told her All the scratches/marks on the prongs were caused by her wear when they were not. In that email I DO sound very insinuating that it was all butterfly''s fault when in fact it was not. In fact the pictures show evidence of the use of a tool, particularly the deeper marks. It is my professional opinion that the pictures reveal more scratches than what would typicallly result from a simple unmounting/remounting but I may be wrong and that is only an opinion because I did not physically see the ring before and after. Only from the pictures that were sent yesterday. I totally believe butterfly, understand why she is upset and will take care of her as if I were taking care of a sister.
17.gif

Thanks for finally understanding.

I highlighted this part because you did actually see this ring before. I had brought in my sister''s ring for your sister, Amy to appraise and I had a question about an inclusion on my diamond that was not on my GIA Cert.This was on June 3rd.

I had shown it to Amy and then she called you on the phone because she wasn''t sure, and you came into the store ( with bags of food in your hands) and looked very carefully at my ring and even asked me where did I get the setting from and I replied,"Whiteflash".

I am sure you would have noticed any damage to the ring if it was in it''s current condition that day. You even looked at it with that microscope on the flat screen on the wall and there is no way you could have missed.

Anyway, I just thought that was an interesting thing to note. I am not implying anything at all.

Date: 10/29/2008 4:08:05 PM
Author: butterfly 17

BTW, another reason why I am a little upset is that I was contemplating putting my diamond back into this setting as the simon g one is kind of flashy (I posted about this in one of Maisy''s threads) and I was not sure if I wanted that much attention. There is no way I would put my real diamond into this setting.

I just have to smile at this. I''m so glad I''m not the only pricescoper who can feel that way about a setting
1.gif

I am happy to see this issue has come to an amicable conclusion and I am sure butterfly will be happy with the result.

As I stated in a previous post, Jonathan is a man of his word and he takes great care of his clients. I feel he has proven this once again even if there was some hasty posts and miscommunications initially. Good job Jonathan and butterfly I hope you can rest easier knowing all will be taken care of appropriately.

Date: 10/29/2008 9:44:49 AM
Author: TopSecret

Date: 10/29/2008 9:21:58 AM
Author: purrfectpear
Cliff notes version:

GOG setter messed up setting and prongs weren''t even set correctly.

Butterfly expresses displeasure

Butterfly sends photos

GOG sends email lacking in bedside manner, but agrees to fix everything

Butterfly gets ''emo'' and states she ''doesn''t even want to set foot in your store''
20.gif

Butterfly rants on PS

GOG is bummed that the story is not complete

GOG again states they are willing to fix everything

Some PS''rs give Butterfly props for her feelings

Some PS''rs think it''s a tempest in a teacup. It''s not a popularity contest. Complain when the vendor WILL NOT fix everything.
Pretty much what I''m reading too. I bought my rock from GOG & can''t speak highly enough of Jonathan.
I agree. I have bought 2 diamonds from Jonathan and feel the same way. His emails can sound casual, but he''s the real deal and he WILL fix the problem. No question.

I''m glad this thread was started just for the sake of having something negative said about one of the vendors here. Sometimes when I read these threads I feel like everyone just cheerleading on here and it almost seems unreal that NOONE ever has a problem. Glad everything is working out.

btw I finally bought the ring today from wf... very excited/nervous/scared/happy ha. just had to throw that out there

I've actually been lurking PS quite a while now and I think of Jonathan as somewhat of a cowboy.

He reminds me of a John Wayne or Clint Eastwood character, wholesome and aggressive and a little rough around the edges.
But I think he's kind of a clod when talking to the ladies, but in the end you see his heart is in the right place.
2.gif

In my dealings with Jonathan he impressed me as the kind of guy who would lose sleep over a problem like this. Mistakes do happen and luckily you are dealing with an honorable person who will ultimately make sure the problem is resolved to your satisfaction.
Good luck and feel better now : )

I am happy to see that this is all working out.

Followed this thread with interest and just wanted to say I''m glad that its getting worked out! I haven''t bought from a PS vendor (yet) but I am definitely on planning to sometime in the future! I just wanted to say I am probably the complete opposite as you Butterfly in the care of my rings. I''m pretty sure I''ve done everything from dishes to mowing the lawn to playing beach volleyball in my original diamond setting. I remember the day I looked down with horror and just happened to notice 3 of my 6 prongs knocked completely askew and off my diamond from who knows what, I''m lucky I didn''t lose my diamond! My jeweler had this expession of "what the (*&# did you do" when I brought my ring in to be fixed. But I will remark as hard as I was on my ring, the prongs *never* looked as horrid as what happened to your ring.
6.gif
That would be normal wear and tear if you worked in a granite yard maybe lol. Anyways I digress, is there a thread with your new ring yet? :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP