shape
carat
color
clarity

REALLY UPSET WITH GOG Long vent!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 10/29/2008 7:38:58 PM
Author: Mr New York
I''m glad this thread was started just for the sake of having something negative said about one of the vendors here. Sometimes when I read these threads I feel like everyone just cheerleading on here and it almost seems unreal that NOONE ever has a problem. Glad everything is working out.

btw I finally bought the ring today from wf... very excited/nervous/scared/happy ha. just had to throw that out there
Mr. NY, why is that? Having good experiences and good working relationships with jewelers and letting other know is not "cheerleading". I can''t think of too many local jewelers that I have as good of a relationship with as I have with Jonathan. Am I stupid enough to believe that I will NEVER have a problem with a stone or setting I purchase from him? NO. But I do know that whatever goes wrong he will make right. Can''t say that about too many others.

I am glad this is being worked out butterfly. I think this was handled wrong from the beginning but at least the ring will be fixed.

Now we can all rest easy.
5.gif

Date: 10/30/2008 9:38:24 AM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade

I''m glad this thread was started just for the sake of having something negative said about one of the vendors here. Sometimes when I read these threads I feel like everyone just cheerleading on here and it almost seems unreal that NOONE ever has a problem. Glad everything is working out.

btw I finally bought the ring today from wf... very excited/nervous/scared/happy ha. just had to throw that out there
Mr. NY, why is that? Having good experiences and good working relationships with jewelers and letting other know is not ''cheerleading''. I can''t think of too many local jewelers that I have as good of a relationship with as I have with Jonathan. Am I stupid enough to believe that I will NEVER have a problem with a stone or setting I purchase from him? NO. But I do know that whatever goes wrong he will make right. Can''t say that about too many others.

I''m pretty sure my short post explained why. A forum with hundreds (maybe thousands?) of posts a day without anything negative experiences with their preferred vendors is weird

Hi everyone, the ring went out today, so hopefully I will get it back sometime next week.

mrssalvo, yes, great minds think alike
31.gif

I understand that you some of you guys are happy with your experiences with GOG, but unfortunately, I was not happy with mine. Basically, everytime someone tells me they had no problems, it makes me feel all the more upset that this happened to JUST MY RING. Please look at the pictures and tell me honestly how you would feel if you received your ring back like that. I am sure some of you would not even bother going back and just get the ring fixed somewhere else.
And yes, I know it can get fixed, but I would like to see the ring afterwards, before everyone starts giving GOG a pat on the back for a job NOT yet done.

MR NY, If you have read any of my posts you will see that I have actually recommended GOG on here a number of times, even though I have never bought one diamond from them. I would still recommend them, in fact, I have a friend who actually met Rhino last month with her BF and was planning on buying her ring there in Dec. and even though I told her my experience, I still told her she should get her diamond there, just watch those prongs.

Just so you can see what I am talking about, here is a post I made about GOG in June-

Hi, I am originally from Brooklyn as well, it's nice to meet someone close to home. Congrats on your new diamond. I checked the link on your other thread and I know it is beauiful!

I just wanted to say that I truly understand your sentiments with regards to GOG. I went there about two weeks ago to have them do an appraisal on my sister's ring and to take a look at a diamond I recently purchased. I also brought in a emerald ring to find out if they could fix the band which was bent, and they gave me their honest opinion on it.

They were extremely helpful, extremely honest and I was really impressed with everything. Esp the video screen which allows you to see the diamond up close and personal!

Although I have not purchased from them yet, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them or recommend them to others.

I hope to one day get a pear cut and I hope I will be able to purchase it from them!

Here is the actual link- https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/operation-beautiful-round-complete.87594/

I hope my ring gets fixed soon!
2.gif

Consistent with Mr. New York''s maybe general point...a little mea culpa could be in order. That is to say...I think really Jewlerman offered the most fresh and helpful perspective. But...he did it from the "other" side of the counter, where he said:

"This whole problem would never have happened if...

1) the condition of the ring( with any damage) was recorded on the store repair envelope by the staff member. Also bringing to the customers attention that gauges this deep will not polish out.Any pre-owned jewelry should be louped for damage and then recorded.Customer should never sign the envelope without the condition recorded.

2)The bench jeweler would have made sure that if there is this type of damage then management should be made aware of it BEFORE work is done so customer could be contacted that there is a problem."

Remember the first post of this thread...

Date: 10/28/2008 6:46:03 PM
Author:butterfly 17

So, I took the stone and setting back to GOG to have them set it. I picked up the ring on Oct. 17th and really did not pay too close attention to it when I picked it up. I had my three kids with me and my husband had driven us and I know some of you know that I just had a baby in Sept. so I really wanted to get back home.

On our way home I did notice that there were dents and scratches and I thought about returning back to GOG, but was already on my way home and my husband still had to drive us back to Staten Island and go to work afterwards. Plus, my brother was getting married the next day, so I had other things on my mind.

As soon as I got back home, I gave the ring a thorough look over and I was really upset. All the prongs had dents and scratches and there was a dent on the band that was not there before. Some of the prongs where not even touching the stone.

I was really shocked at the setting job as they set m 2.38 in July and the setting job was great on that ring.
Note, too...my earlier was in general support of you, Butterfly.

Still, the fresh perspective Jewlerman offers is the clarity available at the time that the ring is picked up. The point of clarity being...in the person of the pickup-er...you. Perhaps it could just be a reminder to us all to do due diligence at such points of exchange, whenever possible. Or...if it was thought before this post that such problems could hardly not happen...consider that Butterfly is equal parts educator, to let us know such problems can.

Date: 10/30/2008 3:23:34 PM

Mr. NY, why is that? Having good experiences and good working relationships with jewelers and letting other know is not ''cheerleading''. I can''t think of too many local jewelers that I have as good of a relationship with as I have with Jonathan. Am I stupid enough to believe that I will NEVER have a problem with a stone or setting I purchase from him? NO. But I do know that whatever goes wrong he will make right. Can''t say that about too many others.

I''m pretty sure my short post explained why. A forum with hundreds (maybe thousands?) of posts a day without anything negative experiences with their preferred vendors is weird
That is why they are preferred vendors!
2.gif

Date: 10/30/2008 3:23:34 PM

I'm glad this thread was started just for the sake of having something negative said about one of the vendors here. Sometimes when I read these threads I feel like everyone just cheerleading on here and it almost seems unreal that NOONE ever has a problem. Glad everything is working out.

Mr. NY, why is that? Having good experiences and good working relationships with jewelers and letting other know is not 'cheerleading'. I can't think of too many local jewelers that I have as good of a relationship with as I have with Jonathan. Am I stupid enough to believe that I will NEVER have a problem with a stone or setting I purchase from him? NO. But I do know that whatever goes wrong he will make right. Can't say that about too many others.

I'm pretty sure my short post explained why. A forum with hundreds (maybe thousands?) of posts a day without anything negative experiences with their preferred vendors is weird
No, it's not weird. Any vendor, whether it be a PS vendor or otherwise, deserve accolades when they offer higher levels of service and superior products, which describes most if not all PS vendors. That is the purpose of the posts: to inform visitors about the vendors so that they can locate one that works for them. It is not to imply that the more positive posts the vendors have, the more perfect they are.

Plier marks. Plain and simple. And, furthermore, the pliers didn''t even perform their intended purpose.
Not something you would do by wear, not where those marks are located.
Why would they deny your questioning of this?
Glad that you are getting this sorted out.

Maybe this is inappropriate, but I was really expecting to hear an explaination about how this occured. Especially seeing as the innitial response was that a benchman would have to have been out to destroy the ring if he actually did do the damage.

I know the ring will be fixed.

But, knowing what I do about the business, if my husband had taken in a perfectly good ring and returned it to a customer like that.....well, Im sure he would have to really do something major to stop the backlash and make it up.

Do you get what Im trying to say. It just seems weird that the ring was returned all chewed up & no explaination.

And I know that GOG is one of the best vendors in the world, with amazing customer service. Thats why this story is so out of tune with what we know about them.

Date: 10/31/2008 2:39:59 AM
Author: Sharon101
Maybe this is inappropriate, but I was really expecting to hear an explaination about how this occured. Especially seeing as the innitial response was that a benchman would have to have been out to destroy the ring if he actually did do the damage.

I know the ring will be fixed.

But, knowing what I do about the business, if my husband had taken in a perfectly good ring and returned it to a customer like that.....well, Im sure he would have to really do something major to stop the backlash and make it up.

Do you get what Im trying to say. It just seems weird that the ring was returned all chewed up & no explaination.

And I know that GOG is one of the best vendors in the world, with amazing customer service. Thats why this story is so out of tune with what we know about them.
For all we know Jon has given an explanation - to Butterfly, the only person who matters.
I think its best for all parties that the rest of this situation is resolved in private - Jon came publicly and admitted he was wrong and it was his store''s fault and it would be fixed to butterfly''s satisfaction.
Everything else is just flogging a dead horse imo..

Date: 10/29/2008 8:24:41 PM
Author: Moh 10
I''ve actually been lurking PS quite a while now and I think of Jonathan as somewhat of a cowboy.

He reminds me of a John Wayne or Clint Eastwood character, wholesome and aggressive and a little rough around the edges.
But I think he''s kind of a clod when talking to the ladies, but in the end you see his heart is in the right place.
2.gif
LOL! This is cute.
It took me awhile to read this whole thing, but I''m glad it is all getting sorted out
1.gif

Any update with this? Did they fix the ring and how did it turn out?

Did a professional really respond "my bad" to you in regard to your prongs not even touching the diamond? Ugh.

I''ve also had a bad experience with GOG. To cut the story short, they never got back at me in regards to my request when they asked me to wait for 3 days. They wasted my time.

I hope you get your problem settled.

Date: 10/29/2008 3:16:14 PM
Author: Rhino
Date: 10/29/2008 2:55:59 PM

Butterfly wrote, ''And yes, they agreed to fix it, but do you really think it will look like before? I doubt it. I basically gave them a brand new setting and no matter how much polishing they do, I am positive it still won''t look right.''

I realize you are disappointed with them but IMHO your attitude here is not fair when you state, ''I am positive it still won''t look right.''

Give them a chance. They know the world is watching. (Not that they wouldn''t have made it right if this were handled privately.)

I''ll replace them if necessary. Not the problem. I''ve identified the *real* problem.

Being tied up at the counter most of the day yesterday and punching out the email that made butterfly upset ... I totally see where she is coming from. I should have not rushed that email out but pondered more before I hit send.

I was having this mental block because I knew scratches were put on it from us that she made us aware of a few weeks ago and I offered from the get go with butterfly to take care of it for her anytime at her convenience ... as I reread my correspondence from yesterday I did say to her ''all'' the marks on the ring are from wear insinuating that she put on ''all'' the marks when in fact I meant to say ''some''.
40.gif
Argh. That would have pissed me off too and I totally understand the *why* behind your post. I would have done it too.

Ok... I get jerk of the day award.
14.gif
39.gif
Line up to take your nuggies but go easy on me.

butterfly ... I really am sorry about that miscommunication on my part.
So, you''re...human? Not a superhero after all?!
6.gif

Glad everything''s been sorted, seller of my future engagement diamond.
2.gif

Could that be porosity gone worse on the middle prong, there looks to be something going up the left side of the prong when you had your diamond set in it?

Date: 10/28/2008 9:04:00 PM
Author: LostSapphire
It is unfortunate that the OP and GOG haven't sorted this out a bit more before GOG is tarred and feathered in a public forum.

The OP notes 'this was his partial response to me'. What wasn't included in the 1st post? I'm sure the OP is very, very careful with her jewellry. But, we're ganging up on GOG based on a one-sided complaint containing only selected bits of information.

(side note: who removed the stone from the original setting? I can't see who that was..?)

GOG is then forced to reply to a rather inflammatory thread in our forum, instead of the 2 of them trying to work it out.

It seems that every time I see one of these posts (and I am NOT taking sides here), the whole thing gets sorted out to the satisfaction of the poster. But in the meantime the negative thread subject sits there...

Butterfly17: I am sure that Rhino will make this right for you. It's in his best interest to keep his customers satisfied. Mistakes DO happen. And, context, subtlety and inflection don't translate well in e-mails or on public forums.

I hope it all works out for you, and you update us with a positive, happy outcome.

LS

DITTO.

Edited just noticed how long this post is, I better read it all first.

Date: 11/29/2008 5:20:29 AM
Author: gwendolyn

Date: 10/29/2008 3:16:14 PM

Date: 10/29/2008 2:55:59 PM

Butterfly wrote, ''And yes, they agreed to fix it, but do you really think it will look like before? I doubt it. I basically gave them a brand new setting and no matter how much polishing they do, I am positive it still won''t look right.''

I realize you are disappointed with them but IMHO your attitude here is not fair when you state, ''I am positive it still won''t look right.''

Give them a chance. They know the world is watching. (Not that they wouldn''t have made it right if this were handled privately.)

I''ll replace them if necessary. Not the problem. I''ve identified the *real* problem.

Being tied up at the counter most of the day yesterday and punching out the email that made butterfly upset ... I totally see where she is coming from. I should have not rushed that email out but pondered more before I hit send.

I was having this mental block because I knew scratches were put on it from us that she made us aware of a few weeks ago and I offered from the get go with butterfly to take care of it for her anytime at her convenience ... as I reread my correspondence from yesterday I did say to her ''all'' the marks on the ring are from wear insinuating that she put on ''all'' the marks when in fact I meant to say ''some''.
40.gif
Argh. That would have pissed me off too and I totally understand the *why* behind your post. I would have done it too.

Ok... I get jerk of the day award.
14.gif
39.gif
Line up to take your nuggies but go easy on me.

butterfly ... I really am sorry about that miscommunication on my part.
So, you''re...human? Not a superhero after all?!
6.gif

Glad everything''s been sorted, seller of my future engagement diamond.
2.gif
You are a blessing Gwen. (sniffle
emotion-18.gif
)

Not sure when butterfly will see or what/if she''ll respond but besides a lesson in sticking foot in mouth I also learned something about the setting of cubic zirconia and also how certain metals respond to setting which I believe others can benefit from so I would like to share. I will try to communicate this as it was communicated to me and as I was watching the job be done.

In brief ... butterfly forwarded the ring to us. We removed the cubic zirconia and polished the ring to new condition taking out every mark plus we put a fresh coat of rhodium to make it shiny white new.

The prongs that were in the ring originally were meant to accommodate a diamond over 2ct and under 2.5ct. CZ''s do not generally come in these in between sizes (that I am aware of). I really don''t know as I don''t sell cz''s but it is my knowledge that they come in straight mm sizes. Ie. 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 7.5mm, 8 etc. The cz that was used in the setting had to be smaller to ensure it would fit. The prongs in the ring were properly fitted to accommodate the diamond that was in the ring originally and the prongs were cut to accommodate the original diamond. When the slightly smaller cz was put in the ring the prongs would need to be bent in slightly contrary to their natural shape. In some alloys used in certain gold products the metal can either cooperate and bend maleably to fit the diamond or sometimes they can bend back to the original natural shape. The latter was the case with these prongs. They kept bending back outwards so that the prongs would not touch the cubic zirconia plus the fact that the originally cutting of the inside of the prongs were not for a cz with these different proportions than the original diamond.

There is a process however for conforming the prongs of a ring to a center stone called annealing. Annealing involves heating up the prongs and bending them in the heated state to accommodate and conform to the stone being set. This would be impossible however with a cubic zirconia because the necessary heat it would take to anneal the prongs would burn or explode the cubic zirconia. We made butterfly aware of these things and I had forwarded her detailed photographying showing her everything. While the ring aesthetcially looks great it is not perfect as the prongs can not be annealed to the cz . Perfect would require either a custom cut cubic zirconia cut to the same proportions and measurements of the original diamond or replacing the prongs with prongs to accommodate the size the of cubic zirconia and that I would do at cost for butterfly. She chose to leave it as is. I am always here on standby to accommodate her as she wishes and she has my direct line.

Having said that ... if anyone has a gripe with me or anyone of my staff you can call me direct and ask for me personally and I will do everything within my means to help rectify whatever issue you may be having. We sincerely care about our clients and potential clients and strive towards making each person we help both informed and happy.

Happy Thanksgiving weekend everyone.
emhug.gif
embeer.gif
embeer.gif
emhug2.gif

Jon, thanks for the explanation about the prongs. Interesting info, and great for future reference!

*bookmarking*

OK, Jonathan, I want your direct line too! Is it like the Bat Phone?

Date: 11/29/2008 10:58:51 AM

emotion-18.gif
)

Not sure when butterfly will see or what/if she''ll respond but besides a lesson in sticking foot in mouth I also learned something about the setting of cubic zirconia and also how certain metals respond to setting which I believe others can benefit from so I would like to share. I will try to communicate this as it was communicated to me and as I was watching the job be done.

In brief ... butterfly forwarded the ring to us. We removed the cubic zirconia and polished the ring to new condition taking out every mark plus we put a fresh coat of rhodium to make it shiny white new.

The prongs that were in the ring originally were meant to accommodate a diamond over 2ct and under 2.5ct. CZ''s do not generally come in these in between sizes (that I am aware of). I really don''t know as I don''t sell cz''s but it is my knowledge that they come in straight mm sizes. Ie. 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 7.5mm, 8 etc. The cz that was used in the setting had to be smaller to ensure it would fit. The prongs in the ring were properly fitted to accommodate the diamond that was in the ring originally and the prongs were cut to accommodate the original diamond. When the slightly smaller cz was put in the ring the prongs would need to be bent in slightly contrary to their natural shape. In some alloys used in certain gold products the metal can either cooperate and bend maleably to fit the diamond or sometimes they can bend back to the original natural shape. The latter was the case with these prongs. They kept bending back outwards so that the prongs would not touch the cubic zirconia plus the fact that the originally cutting of the inside of the prongs were not for a cz with these different proportions than the original diamond.

There is a process however for conforming the prongs of a ring to a center stone called annealing. Annealing involves heating up the prongs and bending them in the heated state to accommodate and conform to the stone being set. This would be impossible however with a cubic zirconia because the necessary heat it would take to anneal the prongs would burn or explode the cubic zirconia. We made butterfly aware of these things and I had forwarded her detailed photographying showing her everything. While the ring aesthetcially looks great it is not perfect as the prongs can not be annealed to the cz . Perfect would require either a custom cut cubic zirconia cut to the same proportions and measurements of the original diamond or replacing the prongs with prongs to accommodate the size the of cubic zirconia and that I would do at cost for butterfly. She chose to leave it as is. I am always here on standby to accommodate her as she wishes and she has my direct line.

Having said that ... if anyone has a gripe with me or anyone of my staff you can call me direct and ask for me personally and I will do everything within my means to help rectify whatever issue you may be having. We sincerely care about our clients and potential clients and strive towards making each person we help both informed and happy.

emhug.gif
embeer.gif
embeer.gif
emhug2.gif
Rhino it may assist you to know that CZ rarely die under the torch, and if they do the loss is not great.
CZ''s from most vendors come in 0.25mm graduations. The stone shape is not an issue - they are much more like diamonds than colored stones.
Generally retightening after intial spring back (pushing prongs toward each other with soft tipped pliers etc - not pushing directly toward the center of the stone will do it). This may need to be done mre than once (assuming no one wants to try annealing) and takes seconds as long as Butterfly can live with a tiny mark that would be hidden by the normal wear and tear (polishing every ding out = nothing left).

Date: 11/29/2008 6:44:36 PM
OK, Jonathan, I want your direct line too! Is it like the Bat Phone?
Lol!!!

Happy Thanksgiving, Jon! You certainly have been immensely helpful to me and I am thankful for that!

I hate to hear your ring wasn''t as you expected and sorry you found some problems with it. It sounds like GOG will get it fixed for you.

I won''t be satisfied until I see Jonathan tarred and feathered.

It''s been a while since the last time.

The prongs that were in the ring originally were meant to accommodate a diamond over 2ct and under 2.5ct. CZ''s do not generally come in these in between sizes (that I am aware of). I really don''t know as I don''t sell cz''s but it is my knowledge that they come in straight mm sizes. Ie. 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 7.5mm, 8 etc. The cz that was used in the setting had to be smaller to ensure it would fit. The prongs in the ring were properly fitted to accommodate the diamond that was in the ring originally and the prongs were cut to accommodate the original diamond. When the slightly smaller cz was put in the ring the prongs would need to be bent in slightly contrary to their natural shape.
Not sure where you got that idea my friend. The better cut CZ''s can be cut to fit your needs for a very reasonable fee. Garry even had some cut to represent ideal cut versus steep deep cuts to show people how much the cutting affects the beauty of the diamond.

If you ever need to have it done, let me know and I will direct you to the correct people.

Sorry to see you had some problems, not at all surprised you are fixing them.

Wink

Date: 11/29/2008 8:04:29 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

emotion-18.gif
)

emhug.gif
embeer.gif
embeer.gif
emhug2.gif
Rhino it may assist you to know that CZ rarely die under the torch, and if they do the loss is not great.
CZ''s from most vendors come in 0.25mm graduations. The stone shape is not an issue - they are much more like diamonds than colored stones.
Generally retightening after intial spring back (pushing prongs toward each other with soft tipped pliers etc - not pushing directly toward the center of the stone will do it). This may need to be done mre than once (assuming no one wants to try annealing) and takes seconds as long as Butterfly can live with a tiny mark that would be hidden by the normal wear and tear (polishing every ding out = nothing left).
Oh, nevermind....

Wink coming late to the party again...

Date: 11/30/2008 1:34:41 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood

LOL! Will there be tickets?

Remind me never to cross you!

Wink

Date: 11/30/2008 3:31:29 PM
Author: Wink

Wink
Not to worry...Rich is harmless..the nice Florida weather keeps him mellow
10.gif

Date: 11/30/2008 8:17:54 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant

Date: 11/30/2008 3:31:29 PM
Author: Wink

Wink
Not to worry...Rich is harmless..the nice Florida weather keeps him mellow
10.gif
Like this
http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/52/81552-004-4322B6F4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP