shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Piece!

Anyone looking for Tiffany in a size 9.75? At first I thought it was likely to be a typo but that would mean both the ring size and the ornament width are wrong plus it's clearly a much bigger ring size than its comp.

Tiffany Victoria aquamarine and diamond for $6k. Expensive, but it's a little cheaper than the one currently on eBay in size 5.5 and the stone looks like a nicer one to my eye at least.
1722521785555.png

eBay for $6450, showing also that the one on TRR is definitely a bigger ring size.

In pale aqua land, this Cathy Waterman is lovely. $2495, the most comparable I could quickly find is listed at $4760.
1722521819341.png
1722521901829.png
Tiffany Knot ring in size 4.5 in "Pristine" condition for almost half off a new one ($3800 versus $6900):
1722521972988.png
This wide band is fun! $1100, 8.1 grams in 18k, est. 0.5ctw, size 6, again in "Pristine" condition:
1722522049284.png

Well, in the continuing saga of the stone from RetroGem, I dropped it off at GIA on Tuesday, and they just sent me a message that the weight is not 1.1-1.2ct as stated by the seller, but in fact 0.93ct. Sigh.
20240723_115853 (1).jpg

Well, in the continuing saga of the stone from RetroGem, I dropped it off at GIA on Tuesday, and they just sent me a message that the weight is not 1.1-1.2ct as stated by the seller, but in fact 0.93ct. Sigh.
20240723_115853 (1).jpg

Wow, that's a huge difference! I think I've missed this saga, can you return it? Are you considering it?

20240723_115853 (1).jpg

Ugh I'm sorry. That's definitely a difference!

20240723_115853 (1).jpg

You bought it loose, correct? Then how could the seller be so far off? Are you planning on returning (if you can) or asking for some kind of reduction in price? Did she give the correct measurements as far as size?

Wow, that's a huge difference! I think I've missed this saga, can you return it? Are you considering it?
Bought it from her a few weeks ago, but I had knee surgery last month and was only just this week able to walk far enough to get to GIA. I don't think she accepts returns.

You bought it loose, correct? Then how could the seller be so far off? Are you planning on returning (if you can) or asking for some kind of reduction in price? Did she give the correct measurements as far as size?
Correct, and no idea. It wasn't graded, so admittedly I was taking a risk, but the size also doesn't match up with a picture she sent me of a stone in calipers. But I do believe this is the same stone she sent me videos of, so it feels vaguely bait-and-switch-y. I'm going to wait for GIA to finish grading before I do anything. If the color & clarity come back as advertised, it will still have been a fair price. If they come back much lower, I'll be quite displeased.

I recently bought an ungraded stone from Ivy & Rose that they said was an I, and GIA graded a K, so I'm on a bit of a losing streak these days. :/

Bought it from her a few weeks ago, but I had knee surgery last month and was only just this week able to walk far enough to get to GIA. I don't think she accepts returns.

Correct, and no idea. It wasn't graded, so admittedly I was taking a risk, but the size also doesn't match up with a picture she sent me of a stone in calipers. But I do believe this is the same stone she sent me videos of, so it feels vaguely bait-and-switch-y. I'm going to wait for GIA to finish grading before I do anything. If the color & clarity come back as advertised, it will still have been a fair price. If they come back much lower, I'll be quite displeased.

I recently bought an ungraded stone from Ivy & Rose that they said was an I, and GIA graded a K, so I'm on a bit of a losing streak these days. :/

It wasn't graded, so admittedly I was taking a risk, but the size also doesn't match up with a picture she sent me of a stone in calipers.

Okay, maybe I'm dense, but are't most sellers able to figure out the carat weight? And if the measurements don't match the photos she sent you in calipers, yes, it sounds like some kind of bait and switch. Do you think it is the same stone that originally was sold to someone else and then they backed out? Or do you actually think it's a different stone? I hate no returns. I understand if a private seller, but someone who is an actual "vendor" should take returns if not as advertised, IMO.

I completely agree… in this case, *especially* if color and clarity AND size are all off, she mailed you something you didn’t purchase, which in my eyes, overrides any returns policy or lack there of.

Ugh, I’m so sorry you’ve had a streak of bad luck. I hope it ends soon. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Thirding. I'm not an expert but carat weight is just weight which should be easy to get loose for even a non-gemologist and that plus caliper dimensions being off just sounds super suspicious to me....

EDIT: this listing looks super similar to your faceting and is 0.93ct and already GIA certified. Did she send you this instead of whichever one you purchased??? @lala646

Last edited:
IMG_2677.png

This setting would be so pretty with a little rehab. It’s $440 after the promo code and is 18k rose gold per the listing.

Wow, I love that setting and I've been looking for another 18k RG ring. It looks easily sizeable (I would need 6.5-ish for my ring finger and 7.5-ish for my middle). I was looking for more of a band, but hmmmmmmmmm.

Wow, I love that setting and I've been looking for another 18k RG ring. It looks easily sizeable (I would need 6.5-ish for my ring finger and 7.5-ish for my middle). I was looking for more of a band, but hmmmmmmmmm.

I almost pulled the trigger on it and wanted to replace the pearl with this one: https://cmwpearls.com/collections/l...an-pearl/products/tahitian-pearl-single-lp959

I have issues with mixing metals though so I decided it’s probably a no for me. If someone buys it, I’d love to see pics.

I almost pulled the trigger on it and wanted to replace the pearl with this one: https://cmwpearls.com/collections/l...an-pearl/products/tahitian-pearl-single-lp959

I have issues with mixing metals though so I decided it’s probably a no for me. If someone buys it, I’d love to see pics.

It's on hold in my cart, I'll keep you posted! Do you have any photos of large pearl solitaires like this? I've never tried one on and have trouble imagining it. My hands are big and my fingers are long, so that's something.... I'm googling now.....

edit: Mauidivers to the rescue! These are all 10-12mm....
1722570017930.png
1722570034092.png
1722570097010.png

Last edited:
It's on hold in my cart, I'll keep you posted! Do you have any photos of large pearl solitaires like this? I've never tried one on and have trouble imagining it. My hands are big and my fingers are long, so that's something.... I'm googling now.....

I do not. I don’t wear pearls cause they’re not durable enough for how rough I am with my jewelry. But I had a little June baby so I wanted to get something.

Gosh @lala646, I’m so sorry about that Retro diamond, I posted it so I feel bad about it not being as advertised. This has happened to me too (with my pink speck of a diamond) and it is such a bummer of a feeling.

Gosh @lala646, I’m so sorry about that Retro diamond, I posted it so I feel bad about it not being as advertised. This has happened to me too (with my pink speck of a diamond) and it is such a bummer of a feeling.

@lala646

I am now even more convinced that there was a mixup. This is the stone you posted, @YadaYadaYada

CF690138-C081-4B5B-AC08-8EFEE451F468.jpeg

And this is a certified 0.93ct OMC she had at the same time:

And here is Lala's stone:
934859-b827a998cb34ce165453540f1e2b49fa.jpg

What is the chance of her having two OMCs with the exact same carat weight? Lala must have ended up with that 0.93. Can the GIA confirm that something is a stone they've previously certified?

Thirding. I'm not an expert but carat weight is just weight which should be easy to get loose for even a non-gemologist and that plus caliper dimensions being off just sounds super suspicious to me....

EDIT: this listing looks super similar to your faceting and is 0.93ct and already GIA certified. Did she send you this instead of whichever one you purchased??? @lala646

That really does look like it could be the same stone. I didn't even think to check the girdle for a possible inscription. We'll see if GIA comes back with "Uhh, this has already been graded..."

Please don't fret. As I said, the stone is lovely, and I definitely don't hate it! Lol

@lala646

I am now even more convinced that there was a mixup. This is the stone you posted, @YadaYadaYada

CF690138-C081-4B5B-AC08-8EFEE451F468.jpeg

And this is a certified 0.93ct OMC she had at the same time:

And here is Lala's stone:
934859-b827a998cb34ce165453540f1e2b49fa.jpg

What is the chance of her having two OMCs with the exact same carat weight? Lala must have ended up with that 0.93. Can the GIA confirm that something is a stone they've previously certified?

Yeah, I sent her a DM. Hopefully she sees it, since we had so many issues with IG's DMs. We'll see how this all shakes out.

Well interested to see how this all shakes out and good job to @newtojewels for doing some detective work. It definitely looks like it could just be a simple mistake.

That really does look like it could be the same stone. I didn't even think to check the girdle for a possible inscription. We'll see if GIA comes back with "Uhh, this has already been graded..."

Interesting that the stone you seem to have received is priced at $2800. I remember you saying that when you first missed out on the stone you (thought) you had purchased, she offered you others, but they were more expensive. Do you think she just got confused by that back and forth?

Interesting that the stone you seem to have received is priced at $2800. I remember you saying that when you first missed out on the stone you (thought) you had purchased, she offered you others, but they were more expensive. Do you think she just got confused by that back and forth?

Really unsure. I repeatedly confirmed in our messages the stone I was interested in, and all the other stones she mentioned to me were considerably more expensive. In looking at the listing for the 0.93 that @newtojewels shared, I'm pretty sure the videos and stills she sent me were of that stone. But then one of the stills was a stone in calipers measuring 6.46mm, and the stone I received is not that size, so it does sound like there may have just been a lot of confusion on her end.
Here are all the images from her:

Last edited:
Really unsure. I repeatedly confirmed in our messages the stone I was interested in, and all the other stones she mentioned to me were considerably more expensive. In looking at the listing for the 0.93 that @newtojewels shared, I'm pretty sure the videos and stills she sent me were of that stone. But then one of the stills was a stone in calipers measuring 6.46mm, and the stone I received is not that size, so it does sound like there may have just been a lot of confusion on her end.
Here are all the images from her:

Have you heard back from your DM? This is all so mysterious....

Hey all - I'm feeling terrible, as I recommended her as I had bought two lower value items from her (sub $500). Since then, I have not one, but two people I know from the IG jewelry world have horrible experiences with her. Both are custom pieces, but she used blurry photos to hide serious defects with stones. When they reached out to complain and asked for the pieces to be fixed she went off the handle. Like very much off the handle ( I have personally read a good bit of both exchanges) and both people are looking into legal action. My apologies if my recommendation was short sighted, I feel horrible.

Hey all - I'm feeling terrible, as I recommended her as I had bought two lower value items from her (sub $500). Since then, I have not one, but two people I know from the IG jewelry world have horrible experiences with her. Both are custom pieces, but she used blurry photos to hide serious defects with stones. When they reached out to complain and asked for the pieces to be fixed she went off the handle. Like very much off the handle ( I have personally read a good bit of both exchanges) and both people are looking into legal action. My apologies if my recommendation was short sighted, I feel horrible.

Like I told Yada, please don't worry. Neither of you compelled me, I acted of my own free will. This is a strange incident, but I do have a stone, so I'm not left entirely high and dry. Whatever the outcome, I will make the best of it. :)

@lala646 I think the diamond is beautifully cut and even at .93 the price is very good for the carat weight in my opinion. Even if it’s lower color. I think you can just love it and not worry one bit about the weirdness of the transaction… other than pure curiosity.

@lala646 I think the diamond is beautifully cut and even at .93 the price is very good for the carat weight in my opinion. Even if it’s lower color. I think you can just love it and not worry one bit about the weirdness of the transaction… other than pure curiosity.

Yeah, that's kind of the wavelength I'm on right now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results