shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel... excessive pricing or finally earning its due respect?

Dr_Diesel

Brilliant_Rock
That's really big for a true neon cobalt! Decent cutting too!! Was it as vivid in person? I find so many look phenomenal in photos, but disappoint in person. They may still be a nice blue, but not quite neon.
It was actually BETTER in person - with one caveat: B.G. Stones has "magic lighting" in their shop that I've never seen before.

It makes everything look amazing and colors pop like mad. I was wearing one of my own rings in there a few months back and it glowed with an intensity that I've never seen before.

If I'm interested in a stone, I always take it outside, but as soon as I heard the price, I didn't take it any further.

Dr_Diesel

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah.... ah that's stunning. :oops2: I'm glad you mentioned Madagascar. Remember the big scandal a few years back where some of the major labs were certifying the newer stones coming out of Madagascar as Kashmir? That's how fine the color was/is. It wasn't until they were able to isolate very specific inclusion patterns/materials in the Madagascan stones that they were able to differentiate them. Inken and I were just discussing this!

I actually was not aware of that! The glow and the color could definitely pass however. Before mine was certified, the seller told me it was from Sri Lanka, but I was sure it was not. It just looks different somehow. Sure enough, the lab report came back Madagascar. AGTA Certificate.jpg

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
I saw this one in person.

It was more impressive than the video, but this side-by-side comparison speaks for itself.

IMG_0739.jpeg

…of course, that Kashmir sapphire’s price tag is likely more money than most of will even see in a single lifetime

…not that $19k/ct on that 0.78 cobalt blue ($14820 for the stone) is a more reasonable purchase by any stretch.

I do think it would make for a cute little ring if the price tag were under $500 :p

Almost $15k for that tiny little dot!o_O

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah.... ah that's stunning. :oops2: I'm glad you mentioned Madagascar. Remember the big scandal a few years back where some of the major labs were certifying the newer stones coming out of Madagascar as Kashmir? That's how fine the color was/is. It wasn't until they were able to isolate very specific inclusion patterns/materials in the Madagascan stones that they were able to differentiate them. Inken and I were just discussing this!

That’s why I am a fan of Madagascar Sapphires. Really gorgeous colors, and not as much of an origin premium.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results